Currently in Exile

beginner cruiser motorcycle

I want to get a motorcycle for commuting & the occasional weekend cruise. My only experience with motorcicles is from 20+ years ago on a 150 cc standard bike.

I found a very nice Honda VF750 Magna locally and am considering getting it as my cruiser. No issues with the bike, I have had an experienced rider look it over and test ride it for me and everything works as advertised. The price is right in my range also. My only concern is that it may be too much power for a beginner bike.

Your thoughts.......?
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Front Range, Colorado
    I think you will be fine on that. Just stay out of the throttle and take your time getting used to it. You have already learned on a bike. So you know how to shift and handle a bike. This one is just heavier and more powerful. Just remember if your not giving it power on a curve it's going to want to go straight. This is all learned through riding experience. I say buy it, a 750 is actually the perfect all around cruiser size. So at least you won't grow out of it quickly or ever.,
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Currently in Exile
    My thought also. I was looking at the a Shadow with the same displacement and then I found this. What had me concerned is the V four which is a tourqier engine than the V twin in the Shadow. I really like the bike and just wanted a second opinion on starting with such a powerful engine. Thanks for the input Dirtjunkie.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you're gonna get a new bike, do it right the first time.

Big Hogs
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    If you are a MTBer you need a dualsport..

Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    If you are a MTBer you need a dual sport.
    I concur, I've had both street and dual and dual by far is the funner of the two.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    The Magna isn't really a "cruiser," more of an upright sport bike. It is a lot faster and more powerful than the V-twin Shadow 750 as you mentioned -- the Shadow 750 is pretty mellow, hard to get in trouble, truly a beginner's cruiser IMO. But the Shadow 750 is underpowered to the point that you'll be bored with it after a season or two. The Magna could be more of a long-term bike, I suppose, and it is fun to ride. I don't see is as being unmanageable for a new rider, however.

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

banned
    Aug 2012
    Get a dual sport !!!

Cruisers are nice, but also limited.
    Try a KLR650 and you'll never look back.
    If you want a toy (not freeway capable) get an XT225/250.

Seriously ... Try a KLR ... They're cheap, darn near bomb proof, and a very proven technology.

Of course,
    If it must be a cruiser........................................... ..
    You'll change your mind when you ride up to your first dirt road and say "DAMN, I should have bought a dual sport" !
    Then you'll be looking/selling

Currently in Exile
    I have considered the dual sport. But thought that it would be like a hybrid bike. Able to ride anything, sucks at everything. I like the idea of a cruiser because I want a more upright riding position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

beginner cruiser motorcycle

beginner cruiser motorcycle-imageuploadedbytapatalk1369800024.882441.jpg

I've had them all and enjoy my cruiser the best. It's nice to just relax and ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    I want a more upright riding position.
    You cant get more " Upright" then a KLR...

How many cruzers you see standing on the pegs?
    KLRs have a kult following, and the guys are willing to help you with repairs and adjustments. I used to host 'Techdays' at my house.. I'd have 30 guys/ KLRs getting everything from oil changes to Fork rebuilds to Valve adjustments.
    Have you ever heard of Cruzers doing that??.. I think not.

Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have considered the dual sport. But thought that it would be like a hybrid bike. Able to ride anything, sucks at everything. I like the idea of a cruiser because I want a more upright riding position.
    That's actually true - I had a KLR650 and rode it all over the western half of the USA. I liked it a lot, but it DID suck at everything - too slow on pavement and too heavy in the dirt. But cruisers also suck. They are generally slow, handle poorly, and are usually less comfortable than a standard motorcycle. The Magna is at least more of a standard than a cruiser... Also, if you don't like the extreme forward lean of modern sportbikes, keep in mind that it's a relative thing and some sportier motorcycles are actually fairly upright. For instance, a good beginner bike with an upright riding position would be the Kawasaki EX500 (later renamed as a Ninja, but don't let that scare you). Looking at older bikes, a few that come to mind would be the standards in various sizes (Suzuki GS, Kawasaki KZ, Honda CB) plus the Yamaha Seca, Kawasaki GPz, and the Honda Nighthawk.

Currently in Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by bfletch1310 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369800024.882441.jpg 
Views:	894 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	803421

I've had them all and enjoy my cruiser the best. It's nice to just relax and ride.
    And that's why I'm looking at a cruiser. The motorcycle equivalent to a beach comber bicycle. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

The dual sport does have some attraction to me though as I know I could use it to scout out routs on some of the less than well maintained gravel roads in the area.

mtbr member
    That is kind of true. They aren't great road bikes -- slow -- and are too heavy and cumbersome for be great at serious trail riding, dunes, etc. But they are great for what they are meant to do -- exploring off the beaten path without having to trailer your trail bike out there. If you think you might get into that, by all means, a dual is a good way to go. If you don't think you'll ride off road much, stick to a street bike.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    That's actually true - I had a KLR650 and rode it all over the western half of the USA. I liked it a lot, but it DID suck at everything - too slow on pavement and too heavy in the dirt. But cruisers also suck. They are generally slow, handle poorly, and are usually less comfortable than a standard motorcycle. The Magna is at least more of a standard than a cruiser... Also, if you don't like the extreme forward lean of modern sportbikes, keep in mind that it's a relative thing and some sportier motorcycles are actually fairly upright. For instance, a good beginner bike with an upright riding position would be the Kawasaki EX500 (later renamed as a Ninja, but don't let that scare you). Looking at older bikes, a few that come to mind would be the standards in various sizes (Suzuki GS, Kawasaki KZ, Honda CB) plus the Yamaha Seca, Kawasaki GPz, and the Honda Nighthawk.
    Yep, there are some upright bikes with decent performance. My dad has a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 that sits straight up and moves along pretty well. But my thing about cruisers is the different foot positions come in handy on a longer ride. I've done 2 hrs on a sportbike and my knees/legs were so tired from being stuck in the same position all the time. Cruisers have the highway pegs, which make a multi-hour ride much more comfortable IMO.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nothing wrong with the magna, solid engine and sporty enough to be fun sort of a sporty cruiser.

Currently in Exile
    Looked at a Virago tonight. Taller bike, higher center of gravity. More of a standard than a cruiser, didn't like it as much although I think the riding position might be a little better. Magna is still in the lead.