Particle Accelerator

Barrett-Jackson Car Auction

Scottsdale AZ had it's first of 2014 Auction, it was week long but for the few hours I watched everything was record-setting. Or - a massive event with many collectable cars.

Some highlights -

Rare 1953 (?) Ford Thunderbird, restored, ash-metallic, rare dual 4bbl 312ci V8: $310,000

1968 (maybe '69/70/71) Corvette Stingray convertible L88, Silver, all original: $800,000

Simon Cowell's Bugatti Veyron, low miles, all Black: $ 1.375M

Lightened Ferrari F40 w/ approval from Ferrari Club, all Black - $675,000

The 1st 2015 Ford Mustang GT, finish of bidder's choice: $300,000 entirely going to Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund

Michael Schumacher's 1998 Ferrari F-1, competition car, V10, signed by Schumacher: $1.7M

Guinness World Record was at the event for a new main building setting a square foot record for 359,000+ sq. ft, w/ a partially-attached building setting another record making something like 410,000+ sq. ft.

That's a lot of vacuuming.
    I like Sand - I don't like Witches.

official eMpTyBRain
    Those auctions are fun to watch for the historical element.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Meatbomb
    I went on Friday night. The new buildings are a welcome change and HUGE. I think Barrett-Jackson put up the money to build them since West World is owned by the City of Scottsdale and they don't get used for much else through out the year.

Front Range, Colorado
    I always make it a point to know when these auctions are and try to watch them every time. It's been a passion of mine for many years. But now that the SPEED channel is no longer I lost track and forgot about this current auction. But I happened to stumble on it yesterday while flipping channels. I watched some but had to shut it down due to prior commitments.

One of the rarest cars to go through this auction was a 1967' Corvette 427 L-88. One of only 20 produced in 67' and it's unknown how many are left. It sold for 3.85 million bucks.
    The Reason only 20 were made in 67' was because it came out late in 67' and the new body style came along in 68' and 200 L-88's were sold in 68'.

The L-88 427 had aluminum heads and reworked internals that gave it 12.5 to one commpression ratio. A race motor from the factory that could only run 103 octane race fuel. It even had a designated sticker stating as such on the center console. Chevy underrated the horsepower rating for insurance reasons. If they told the actual H.P insurance company's wouldn't insure them for street duty. Although most of these cars went straight to the track for racing they were street legal. Chevy rated it at 430 H.P. But in actuality it could be tweaked and simply tuned to hit 600 H.P.

And due to it's rarity of only 20 made and this one being one of the few left. And it being the top dog of all classic corvettes in terms of it being a factory street legal race car this one fetched 3.85 million. SWEET!

Watch it cross the auction block here.
    Barrett-Jackson 2014: 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 sells for $3.85 million [w/video] - Autoblog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barrett-Jackson Car Auction-image.jpg  

----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

I'm your density
    I was just in Scottsdale all last week, wish I could have found the time to go check it out.

I prefer pre-Stingray 'vettes but that one is tits.

DJ do you remember that place in Spring Valley where you could buy "racing fuel?" I don't think the octane even topped 100 let alone 103.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I was just in Scottsdale all last week, wish I could have found the time to go check it out.

I prefer pre-Stingray 'vettes but that one is tits.

DJ do you remember that place in Spring Valley where you could buy "racing fuel?" I don't think the octane even topped 100 let alone 103.
    Yep there was one there and also one out in east county in Alpine. They both sold VP race fuel. And I think it was 100 octane. I never had anything that needed that type of fuel. But I had a few friends thar I jet skied with that had to use it in their hyped up skis.

My GTO that I had prior to living in SD had 11 to 1 compression ratio. Which required higher octane fuel. Back then in Colorado we couldn't find anyone who sold it. So used to have to buy an octane additive. It was called Octane 103 and came in a small can. One can to 20 gallons of gas. My fuel gauge in that car didn't work so I was constantly filling it up having not knowing how much gas I had. I would guesstimate how much of that additive to add. Ha,ha some times my guessing was off and it ran like crap and other times like a raped ape.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Daeco racing fuel is 108. had a lot of methanol. Used to be sold here in Escondido. The only way they would sell it was in a special container that held 10 gallons

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    Daeco racing fuel is 108. had a lot of methanol. Used to be sold here in Escondido. The only way they would sell it was in a special container that held 10 gallons
    And it's BIG BUCKS $$$
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In the old days we use to go to the airport and get
    110 avgas for our cars.