b a n n e d

Anyone use VoIP?

Does anyone use VoIP as a primary home/office phone? I am going to need something other than a cell phone in the near future that's reliable and offers good quality. Someone recommended using Google Voice along with an Obihai box?

I'm trying to figure out what this is, and if the phone service truly is free after the hardware purchases.

Any inputs are appreciated.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    All my clients use VOIP. Except for 1 which uses a POTS line for the postage machine...
    Anyways...
    Yes it should be free after buying the hardware. Google Voice allows free calls to US and Canada.

But if you want to be cheap download the this program directly from google and use your computer as a softphone:
    Call phones from Gmail

Now a days VOIP is pretty reliable and clear. As long as you have decent internet.
    One feature that is probably lacking with Google Voice + Obihai is e911.

psycho cyclo addict
    Yes- since the late 90's. Started configuring VOIP on Cisco routers, then used SunRocket at home until they went under followed by 8x8.com and now Google Voice.

You can download the Google Voice app onto a Droid or iPhone cell phone and use that from a Wifi Internet connection (in addition to calling phone from Gmail as UEDan said). They issue a new number when you sign up which you could use as your alternate- from the same device if you want...

official eMpTyBRain
    What, they don't have cell phones out in Nevada yet? Do they at least drive cars out there now and have they stopped living under those grass huts yet?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have been using majicjack plus now for almost 2 years and it's been really good. And I don't have to have my computer on for it to work.

I'm your density
    I was using Google Voice on my computer for a while when I worked from home and had to dial in to non-800 teleconferences, or just didn't want to tie up my home land line. The voice quality was fine; however, some telecon bridges didn't work with it (e.g., would hang up before I could enter the participant code).

I live in San Diego and fairly close to cell towers, but down in a canyon so the signal strength is weak. So I can't use my cell phone reliably.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    What, they don't have cell phones out in Nevada yet? Do they at least drive cars out there now and have they stopped living under those grass huts yet?
    Mrs. Secret Agent needs to have a landline for work, but as for cars - no, they still use burro's out there.

So it sounds like VoIP might be the way to go. I'm not worried about the 911 thing as we both have cell phones and I'm sure the reception is fine, but she's going to be spending a lot of time on the phone and will need fax capability, so having a landline will be necessary.

Any rec's on the hardware? She'll want to use a traditional phone I'm sure, so just DL software may not be the best.

duh
    with voip it is also easier to set up a pbx system to make ya sound bigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

High Desert MTBer
    I took out my home phone as I got completely fed up with unsolicited calls from all kinds of places, even after doing the cold-call-unsubscribe thing a few times. I still have the line for tha net, but now only ever use my cell phone, or Skype. I have a pretty good net connection, so it works well, and I use it to call all over the world. As long as you try not to call cell phones, the cost is minimal. I also use it on my iphone and ipad when I am traveling.
    It's all Here. Now.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    . . . As long as you try not to call cell phones, the cost is minimal . . .
    Can you elaborate on this? Why does it matter what type of phone you call?

Ride More, Whine Less

Anyone use VoIP?

We have not paid for a land line in nearly 8 years. We have Vonage and it is perfect. We have started looking into google + the obhani box. There is a work around for e911 by using a paid subscription (few dollars a month). We will probably go that direction shortly, but we want to see what google plans to charge.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? Why does it matter what type of phone you call?
    Skype charges more to call a cell phone than a land line. I guess it is more expensive for them to access the cell network and they pass on the cost to the user. Calling land lines is dirt cheap, even to other countries. If the other user is online on Skype, it costa nada... I use it all the time to chat with my family around the world. When I am away, my wife and cats chat for hours to "Flat Dad"... She sets me up on screen in the kitchen while she cooks. I feel like that brain in a jar from that movie, only I can see what's going on!
    It's all Here. Now.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Skype charges more to call a cell phone than a land line. I guess it is more expensive for them to access the cell network and they pass on the cost to the user. Calling land lines is dirt cheap, even to other countries. If the other user is online on Skype, it costa nada...
    Is that true for all VoIP services?

Ride More, Whine Less
    Vonage, which is VoIP, charges a fee for monthly service but you can "freely" call land lines or cell phones.