mtbr member

Anyone do a Spartan Race?

I just signed up for the Boston one the other day. 11/17 at Fenway!

Not something I would normally do, but for some reason my work is sponsoring 15 of us to go, and I put my name in for the list.

I watched some videos on youtube...looks pretty intense!

Anyone who's ever run one of those or a Tough Mudder type event have any training tips for me?

I'm in decent shape, but I really gotta hit the cardio...I'm just about done after a one mile run. As an asthmatic, running always kicks my ass. At least it's on the mild side, it was way worse when I was a kid.

mtbr member
    I've done several "obstacle course" type runs and they are a blast! It's not the running that gets me, it's the climbing and crawling that wears me out (and sloshing through long ravines of water).

My biggest suggestion is to wear some "trail running" type shoes or boots. Something that has a really grippy sole but can still give you some support while running. And, don't worry too much about your time. Just have some fun!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ran Spartan sprint in Amesbury, MA couple weeks ago. Will be running Tough Mudder next year. Marpilli is correct, it's not running that gets most of us - it's whatever requires upper body strength - monkey bars and rope climbing. Wearing decent trail running shoe is a good idea too. You don't wanna be slipping on muddy downhills. So one of the best thing to be better prepared is to start doing pull ups, I think. And try climbing ropes, if you've never done it before.