Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 196
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259

    Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

    The boats are not suposto do this....



    Sent 2 guys overboard, ripped up a bunch of carbon fiber faring skins

  2. #2
    El Gato Malo
    Reputation: Wishful Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,373
    Can't trust carbon fiber, should have stuck with steel.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,745

    Interesting.

    I missed the racing this year. My younger son crews for a vintage America's Cup circuit. I think he is on America II out of NYC. Their boat is sponsored by "W" Hotels. My wife and I got to do the tourist thing on a three lap Americas Cup style race in St. Marteen (sp?) last year. We crewed on True North and lost to Stars and Stripes. Anyway, these same boats race my son's.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I missed the racing this year..
    The racing is not over yet..

    Go here America's Cup - YouTube and you can watch the nose dive that was today. and the rest of the racing since the beginning.

    Go to the 2:10 min mark for the best replay

    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Back about 40 years ago, I used to race on Tornado catamarans, then the world's fastest sailboats. Usually the owner of the boat would actually be the 'crew', hanging out on the trapeze, where he could see the other boats, the course, and think tactics, and he would just tell the crew, the 'driver,' where to steer. The guy who owned the boat I sailed on was an older guy, though, and he didn't feel too comfortable out on that wire, plus I outweighed him by about 50 lb.s (good ballast) so I got the trapeze job. I thought it was a blast.

    Anyway, I remember when we pearled the bows in a chop on San Diego bay once....it really did stop the boat dead, from 20 knots to 0. It made me fly on the wire around the rigging, and I almost smacked my head into the mast. We really took it easy getting back to the dock after that, afraid that the aluminum crosspieces might have cracked, or loosened or even damaged the hulls, which were pretty thin fiberglassed plywood.
    My friend lucked out on that one, no major repairs needed, but it as an eye-opener to just how fast we really were going back then. 20 knots was basically a freakish speed for that time....we could literally sail circles around the 12 meter Columbia, which had won the America's Cup for the U.S. the year before.

    One thing he did do was install some foot straps for me to stick my feet in while out on the wire, so if it happened again (it did) I was able to stay in contact with the deck.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Great story Ray ! .. Thanks


    Looking at the replay again... that boat went 20' under water..
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  7. #7
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,272
    Were they sailing in San Francisco Bay today? I ask because I did a big group ride today on my singlespeed starting in Lake Merced, going over the GG bridge and into the Marin Headlands. While at one of the vistas before the GG bridge, we saw those racing sailboats with the gigantic sails on them, lots of helicopters buzzing around them.

    OK, saw the video, I guess they were in fact in San Francisco Bay. How are they leaving those red spots in the water? Is that marine life safe food dye?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Great story Ray ! .. Thanks


    Looking at the replay again... that boat went 20' under water..
    Watching those foil boats sail absolutely stupefies me. What's almost impressive is the latest iteration of the Moth, an 11 ft. dinghy. "Developmental ' class boat. Well, now they have added foils to them, an those little goddam cat-rigged dinghys set a new monohull speed record of over 28 knots. Imagine that on an 11' sailboat, with just you way outboard on the trapeze platform. Their best sailors routinely tack and jibe them without ever coming down off the foils. Amazing.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    How are they leaving those red spots in the water?
    That's all CGI to the television screen. Like when they show the scrimmage and yellow 10 yrd lines on the televised football game.



    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/sp...pagewanted=all



    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    . Amazing.
    I agree, When I first saw they race I was like " What the Hell !? " and " I want to do THAT ! "
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  10. #10
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Who could forget back in the 80s when the aussies and Ben Lexcen pulled the old winged keel chestnut to beat the mericans boat worth 20 times as much as the poor aussies boat, it took us about 100 years to beat you guys, and we will probably never do it again but it was a huge moment for us down here, RIP Ben Lexcen..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  11. #11
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,272
    [QUOTE=Fishbucket;10613791]That's all CGI to the television screen. Like when they show the scrimmage and yellow 10 yrd lines on the televised football game.



    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/sp...pagewanted=all



    Ahh, I see. Haven’t had television service since 2004.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  12. #12
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688


    Those guys need some Russian water training.

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Who could forget back in the 80s when the aussies and Ben Lexcen pulled the old winged keel chestnut to beat the mericans boat worth 20 times as much as the poor aussies boat, it took us about 100 years to beat you guys, and we will probably never do it again but it was a huge moment for us down here, RIP Ben Lexcen..
    You goddammed Aussies and that winged keel opened the developmental Pandora's Box for sailing that resulted in these multihulled, foiled monstrosities out on the water. All the deaths resulting, and to come from them yet....their blood is on your hands!

  14. #14
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post


    Those guys need some Russian water training.
    This seems sensible!
    It's all Here. Now.

  15. #15
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    You goddammed Aussies and that winged keel opened the developmental Pandora's Box for sailing that resulted in these multihulled, foiled monstrosities out on the water. All the deaths resulting, and to come from them yet....their blood is on your hands!
    LOL, The old sleepy mericans, fell for the old winged keel, then the kiwis got in with the twin hull and exploited the rules, we know all the tricks down here, thats why we are literally ahead of the times Ray.....
    The whole worlds following us....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, The old sleepy mericans, fell for the old winged keel, then the kiwis got in with the twin hull and exploited the rules, we know all the tricks down here, thats why we are literally ahead of the times Ray.....
    The whole worlds following us....
    To tell the truth, I enjoyed the AC World Series races a whole lot more....the 45 ft. cats are engineered to actually finish a race, which made the tactics and skills much more enjoyable. And they still made 20+ knots.
    That's really not much faster than we got up to on the old-fashioned 505's I used to race, or the Tornados for that matter, but is quicker, and the 5-man crews really do work at it.

    With those 72 foot foil boats, the race is to see who/what breaks down next....

    I say wait about 2-5 years until they have the bugs worked out of foils on sail boats. Just sit back and watch the Moths figure things out, which they already have, and then up-engineer their tech to the big boats.

    And when it comes to Moths, BTW, one of the best, if not THE best, Moth sailors in the world is from right here in San-Dan-Dan Diego, USA.

    Granted, the fact that your toilets swirl the other direction might serve to give you the advantage of a different perspective Down Under, but leading the world? Maybe....in failure-prone boat engineering. I'll give you that much..That and you bastards all have that Health Care! Goddamit!

  17. #17
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688

    Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

    Mothra. Good thing Godzilla wasn't a cat.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Mothra. Good thing Godzilla wasn't a cat.
    That's actually not a half-bad nickname for those 72 footers. Technology that's reliable on an 11 foot monohull, transferred, without too much up-engineering, to a 72 foot catamaran. Priceless. (literally)
    I wonder if the irreverent folks at SF Gate would pick up on "Mothra"? I'm guessing not, for several reasons.

  19. #19
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, The old sleepy mericans, fell for the old winged keel, then the kiwis got in with the twin hull and exploited the rules, we know all the tricks down here, thats why we are literally ahead of the times Ray.....
    The whole worlds following us....
    pissin in the wind again eah, 1 time for history is all over and out.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

  20. #20
    dru
    dru is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,444
    Does anyone think the Russian excavator operator had some vodka for lunch?

    Silly fun until someone drowns or gets crushed!

    Drew
    occasional cyclist

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    { read with russian accent} : Why do you hate Russian Excavator operator.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Looks like those foils work a lot better in calmer waters, moderate winds. In yesterday's races 4 & 5, the NZ boat hit 44 knots in a 14 knot wind. Not bad, eh?

  23. #23
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Looks like those foils work a lot better in calmer waters, moderate winds. In yesterday's races 4 & 5, the NZ boat hit 44 knots in a 14 knot wind. Not bad, eh?
    Definitely better in moderate winds and calm seas.

    I used to be an avid sailor . . . so much so that I contemplated a Jr. Olympics run when I was kid, but my 'rents said no way (wanted me to stay in school). I was racing Laser's at the time. I've tried my hand at the bigger boats too, and did a little racing out here in SoCal, but I much prefer the action (and control) of one-designs. Maybe someday I'll get back into it, but if you think biking is expensive . . . . well, try sailing.

    I've always loved the idea of a single-handed skiff like the Swift Solo or an RS6/700
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  24. #24
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    The whole worlds following us....
    That's because we're afraid to turn our backs on you guys
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Looks like those foils work a lot better in calmer waters, moderate winds. In yesterday's races 4 & 5, the NZ boat hit 44 knots in a 14 knot wind. Not bad, eh?
    I was in the City working too much to catch the race. Did see it off in the distance as I was crossing the GG bridge.
    Gonna have to use the replay right now while it's lunch.

    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I've always loved the idea of a single-handed skiff like the Swift Solo
    I had to look them up...



    Nice Boats !. That's something I would try.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  26. #26
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,167
    Yeah, they're pretty awesome little rigs and can be built entirely in a garage. its an interesting history behind the fleet . . . hull 001 was built using the principles in this book: The Strip-Built Sea Kayak: Three Rugged, Beautiful Boats You Can Build: Nick Schade: 0639785800088: Amazon.com: Books

    There's some REALLY beautifully done Swifts too, using exotic woods, etc. The problem is that they aren't exactly light in comparison to a some of the molded hulls (e.g., an RS). But if I had my druthers, I'd much rather be on something I built.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  27. #27
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688
    I like sailing and sitting on boats and getting tipsy if anybody wants to take me out someday. I don't fish though. ewwww.

  28. #28
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I like sailing and sitting on boats and getting tipsy if anybody wants to take me out someday. I don't fish though. ewwww.
    GOB fishing / sailing aren't very synonymous with eachother however the tipsy aspect sure is.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

  29. #29
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    GOB fishing / sailing aren't very synonymous with eachother however the tipsy aspect sure is.
    perfect!

  30. #30
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    perfect!
    somehow i knew the screws would loosen given the right combination..
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

  31. #31
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    It looks like today could decide who the next Cup challenger is. NZ is up 6-1 in a best of 13 series. Italy has to win both races today to stay alive. Not likely.
    As to going for the gusto on a smaller scale, the Swifts are cool, but why not go for the gusto? I got to try out one of these for about 15 minutes or so. I cap[sized 9 times in about 6 minutes, but I finally got it up on foil for a good minute. At least, it SEEMED like a good minute. At any rate, I ain't gonna be busting in on the rankings of this class anytime in this life...

    The International Moth Class Association

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I like sailing and sitting on boats and getting tipsy if anybody wants to take me out someday. I don't fish though. ewwww.
    I don't think these guys are the fishing types. They don't want fish guts on their Gucci loafers.

  33. #33
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I don't think these guys are the fishing types. They don't want fish guts on their Gucci loafers.
    I for one, usually sail barefoot. that, or in wetsuit shoes/booties. On the boats i sail, you get wet. Frequently. Especially if I'm on the tiller.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I for one, usually sail barefoot. that, or in wetsuit shoes/booties. On the boats i sail, you get wet. Frequently. Especially if I'm on the tiller.
    I was just poking fun. I'm guessing most guys who race sail boats fish too, but at different times of course.

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I was just poking fun. I'm guessing most guys who race sail boats fish too, but at different times of course.
    Well, that's prolly true, but I don't think I've had fishing license for years. Last license I had was a hunting license.

  36. #36
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    7-1 NZ over Italy, and the right to challenge the USA is all theirs. The Italians have volunteered to be NZ's tune-up boat to help them get ready for the mighty Oracle USA defense. This ought to be interesting, on many levels....

  37. #37
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,503
    It'll be nice to have the Old Mug back in town.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  38. #38
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    It looks like the Kiwi's will win the Americas cup, Now we just have to wait for the races to see if it the 1 that Larry paid for or the 1 that the Kiwi's have paid for.



    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, The old sleepy mericans, fell for the old winged keel, then the kiwis got in with the twin hull and exploited the rules, we know all the tricks down here, thats why we are literally ahead of the times Ray.....
    The whole worlds following us....
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  39. #39
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    It looks like the Kiwi's will win the Americas cup, Now we just have to wait for the races to see if it the 1 that Larry paid for or the 1 that the Kiwi's have paid for.
    NZ did quite well, but Oracle is still Goliath. The David's are gonna have to team up, and have a bit of Divine luck to win this one. Word has it that Oracle has reached 50 knots in under 25 knots of wind. That's about 59-60 mph. Tactics and good starting position will not matter with that kind of speed differential.

    I think Oracle must be cheating, and achieving spectacular results by doing so. And they got the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get away with it.

  40. #40
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    NZ did quite well, but Oracle is still Goliath. The David's are gonna have to team up, and have a bit of Divine luck to win this one. Word has it that Oracle has reached 50 knots in under 25 knots of wind. That's about 59-60 mph. Tactics and good starting position will not matter with that kind of speed differential.

    I think Oracle must be cheating, and achieving spectacular results by doing so. And they got the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get away with it.
    Kiwis will finish 2nd and not due to any speculation of cheating by those standing about. Here's a concept, give them credit where credit is due instead of finger pointing and accusations??
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

  41. #41
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Sadly for us Larry has brought the best of everything, Including Russel who knows more than anyone what it takes to win,

    I have seen what big budgets can do, When you can spend a heap making something that leads you to another train of thinking & being able to scrap that & start again & having the budget to do it takes a lot of beating.

    I just hope that the racing is close enough to see some real battles & not 1 boat just flying away.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    NZ did quite well, but Oracle is still Goliath. The David's are gonna have to team up, and have a bit of Divine luck to win this one. Word has it that Oracle has reached 50 knots in under 25 knots of wind. That's about 59-60 mph. Tactics and good starting position will not matter with that kind of speed differential.

    I think Oracle must be cheating, and achieving spectacular results by doing so. And they got the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get away with it.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Sadly for us Larry has brought the best of everything, Including Russel who knows more than anyone what it takes to win,

    I have seen what big budgets can do, When you can spend a heap making something that leads you to another train of thinking & being able to scrap that & start again & having the budget to do it takes a lot of beating.

    I just hope that the racing is close enough to see some real battles & not 1 boat just flying away.
    Well, I would too. The only glimpse we got of Oracle/NZ sailing side by side in a good breeze, showed that while NZ had her in a bit of bad air, Oracle kept exactly even with them, maybe even inched ahead.

    What's more, in identical choppy conditions that day, NZ was doing quite a bit of the fore-aft pitching that foil boats can do, which indicates that they might drop off foil at any time, drastically losing speed. Oracle, in the same conditions, was totally rock-steady. That don't look good for NZ, right there, and then there's the rumor through the grapevine about Oracle already surpassing 50 knots, so there you have it, as far as we know.

    NVPHATTY, I'm more than happy to give credit where it's due, but I also call 'em as I see 'em. Maybe pouring a $100 million into computer technology that almost trims the foils and the wings for the crew is perfectly legal, but NZ has to do it by the seat of their pants, like its's always been done. They have the best multihull and foil sailors in the world on their crew to do just that. Guys who can sail a Moth an entire race in winds that never reach 12 knots, and not come down off the foils once, even jibing and tacking. They're the best of the best, and if anybody can 'Beat the Machine', it's them.

  43. #43
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Well, I would too. The only glimpse we got of Oracle/NZ sailing side by side in a good breeze, showed that while NZ had her in a bit of bad air, Oracle kept exactly even with them, maybe even inched ahead.

    What's more, in identical choppy conditions that day, NZ was doing quite a bit of the fore-aft pitching that foil boats can do, which indicates that they might drop off foil at any time, drastically losing speed. Oracle, in the same conditions, was totally rock-steady. That don't look good for NZ, right there, and then there's the rumor through the grapevine about Oracle already surpassing 50 knots, so there you have it, as far as we know.

    NVPHATTY, I'm more than happy to give credit where it's due, but I also call 'em as I see 'em. Maybe pouring a $100 million into computer technology that almost trims the foils and the wings for the crew is perfectly legal, but NZ has to do it by the seat of their pants, like its's always been done. They have the best multihull and foil sailors in the world on their crew to do just that. Guys who can sail a Moth an entire race in winds that never reach 12 knots, and not come down off the foils once, even jibing and tacking. They're the best of the best, and if anybody can 'Beat the Machine', it's them.
    and i do as well so while you discredit the merican crew / boat due to $$ vested surly they are plenty talented sailors that can git er dun. The NZ boat is not some dinghy from a tech perspective so to make it sound as though the sailors are head and shoulders above just don't get it know what imma sayin??
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    and i do as well so while you discredit the merican crew / boat due to $$ vested surly they are plenty talented sailors that can git er dun. The NZ boat is not some dinghy from a tech perspective so to make it sound as though the sailors are head and shoulders above just don't get it know what imma sayin??
    Not sure that I do know what yer sayin'. Let's just see where the current investigation of the rules violations Oracle has already been caught in goes, or if it already has been squelched. I mean, "settled".
    You know what they say, "money talks............."

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Not sure that I do know what yer sayin'. Let's just see where the current investigation of the rules violations Oracle has already been caught in goes, or if it already has been squelched. I mean, "settled".
    You know what they say, "money talks............."
    Isn't this whole game a money piling contest? Buying officials is the smart thing to do.

  46. #46
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    Isn't this whole game a money piling contest? Buying officials is the smart thing to do.
    I'm sure that both NZ and Oracle USA have the best sailors that their budgets can afford! Officials, too!

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    And this is why the AC has a big hole in the front of the cup... You start to drink it and here it comes dribbling down the front of your shirt, a big ol' stain.
    the AC execs and the Sailing teams ruined it.


    "It sets a bizarre precedent as to the future. If a few individuals on a team commit a rules breach, the whole team gets penalized for it"
    What an idiot...like he didnt know....
    The WHOLE team should be deleted from the races, all prior races handed to the competing team, and made to chop up the boat with a sawzall in a public display.
    This is why I stopped watching millionaires play games like football and baseball.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  49. #49
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Yes it looks big but in the end I think the racing won't be that close & 1 boat will just sail away with most of the races & the 2 race penalty won't change the cup.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  50. #50
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes it looks big but in the end I think the racing won't be that close & 1 boat will just sail away with most of the races & the 2 race penalty won't change the cup.
    It's possible.....but then again, missing that foil trimer guy, they could find their speed advantage a bit less.

    Watching them all have to chop the boat up with sawzall's would be one TV event I WOULD pay-to-view!

  51. #51
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,139
    This is disturbing...

    "Oracle's lawyers weren't happy with the process which involved two of the jury members conducting the investigation and then being part of the five-person jury that decided the verdict."

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Leave it to the Lawyers to throw in a shadow of a doubt....

    The good thing is... this is not an american court, It's a race where you 'buy in' to run your boat and the rules can be applied anyway the committee wants.
    Good for the Jury ! and too bad for Oracle, they are not saying the lead shot didn't happen. Just that it was a "couple team members"
    Confession, Guilty, Fine ! ... by me.
    Pompous *******s...., the lot of them.

  53. #53
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Leave it to the Lawyers to throw in a shadow of a doubt....

    The good thing is... this is not an american court, It's a race where you 'buy in' to run your boat and the rules can be applied anyway the committee wants.
    Good for the Jury ! and too bad for Oracle, they are not saying the lead shot didn't happen. Just that it was a "couple team members"
    Confession, Guilty, Fine ! ... by me.
    Pompous *******s...., the lot of them.

    Basically, what Oracle's lawyers are REALLY unhappy about is that they got CAUGHT in the first place....

  54. #54
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Leave it to the Lawyers to throw in a shadow of a doubt...
    I don't like it either, and I'm a kiwi...

  55. #55
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I don't like it either, and I'm a kiwi...
    Yes if we win it by 1 race it will forever be debated.

    I'm hopping to see a battle, But I still think we will see 1 of the boats run away with It.

    I have no idea what 1 of the 2 boats it will be.

    I really hope that the 2 race penalty isn't what makes us win.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  56. #56
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Well 2 races down.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  57. #57
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Well 2 races down.
    With the penalty assessed Oracle, it's actually 4-0.

  58. #58
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    With the penalty assessed Oracle, it's actually 4-0.
    Yep

    I wonder if Larry has Dean Barkers phone number yet.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  59. #59
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    With the penalty assessed Oracle, it's actually 4-0.
    5-0 now.

    Better race though.

  60. #60
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    5-0 now.

    Better race though.
    Yes was good to see.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  61. #61
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    5-1 now. He might be a f-ing billionaire, but he's OUR billionaire! Go Oracle.

  62. #62
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    5-1 now. He might be a f-ing billionaire, but he's OUR billionaire! Go Oracle.
    8s, you don't get much closer than that...

    We've got ourselves a race series!

  63. #63
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688




    I finally got to watch today. Beautiful day out and it's finally a fun race to watch. 8 seconds! The last round with the Italians was a total snoozefest. No offense, Prada.

    I'm rooting for NZ. They've been kicking ass.

    Pictures are from the second race but I somehow watched both today.

  64. #64
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post




    I finally got to watch today. Beautiful day out and it's finally a fun race to watch. 8 seconds! The last round with the Italians was a total snoozefest. No offense, Prada.

    I'm rooting for NZ. They've been kicking ass.

    Pictures are from the second race but I somehow watched both today.
    Good on you, I'm hoping the Kiwi's bring it home.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,666
    I have been watching casually here and there, when I notice it on TV.
    When I was growing up, my mother's husband had a 40' yacht that he kept at the Berkley Marina. We spent a lot of weekends sailing around the SF Bay. This gives me a bit of a connection with the races and my interest is up.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  66. #66
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688
    It's hard to convey how big those thingamajigs are in person....

    This NY times slide show is pretty fun to watch: America?s Cup - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

  67. #67
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    It's hard to convey how big those thingamajigs are in person....

    This NY times slide show is pretty fun to watch: America?s Cup - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
    Very cool.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  68. #68
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    It's hard to convey how big those thingamajigs are in person....

    This NY times slide show is pretty fun to watch: America?s Cup - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
    It IS kinda hard to relate to them as boats, isn't it? They seem more like some kind of airplane, or hovercraft or something. Except they got no engine!

  69. #69
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,167
    This is ridonkulous. It has to be an amazing feeling and probably is like walking (or sprinting!) on water:

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GXV3Wdu_Ms4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    This is ridonkulous.
    You can say that again.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

  71. #71
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Right now, it's certainly looking like Oracle is whipped. A bit of inferior boat speed coup-led with serious handling and tactical errors are really killing them.
    The fact that Emirates/NZ does NOT have the same issues, well that doesn't make it look very good for team Oracle.

  72. #72
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Right now, it's certainly looking like Oracle is whipped. A bit of inferior boat speed coup-led with serious handling and tactical errors are really killing them.
    The fact that Emirates/NZ does NOT have the same issues, well that doesn't make it look very good for team Oracle.
    I agree, but it isn't over till it's over.

    Anything could happen yet!!!

    Team New Zealand could crash into Larry's Submarine or the US Navy could blow us out of the water. LOL
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  73. #73
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688
    That was a hell of a mistake. I feel like it's over, sadly. Maybe Larry can cheat some more and make this more of a contest.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    468
    More hot air from down under. Kinda like a fart.

  75. #75
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    That was a hell of a mistake. I feel like it's over, sadly. Maybe Larry can cheat some more and make this more of a contest.
    Maybe he could use his private submarine (he does have one, doesn't he?) to take out one of NZ's foils at high speed. That would get Oracle at least one win.

  76. #76
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    More hot air from down under. Kinda like a fart.
    We're making up for being subjected to Dennis Connors over the years...

  77. #77
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    We're making up for being subjected to Dennis Connors over the years...
    Dennis should have stuck with the Star class.

  78. #78
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    28,972
    So who won?
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

  79. #79
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    I hope who ever wins keep the multi hulls.

    What could a 100ft cat do.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  80. #80
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I hope who ever wins keep the multi hulls.

    What could a 100ft cat do.
    Cost a helluva lot!

  81. #81
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,734
    I once wore a cup.... have never watched America's Cup, though.

  82. #82
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I once wore a cup.... have never watched America's Cup, though.
    It's a billionaire's sport, kinda like the NFL....
    Only, for the spectators, it's pretty damned cheap!

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    It's a billionaire's sport, kinda like the NFL....
    Yea, without the spilled beer, fights in the stands and pissing in the sink because the trough is full...

  84. #84
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,503
    We won.

    Good thing too, as our government spent a large amount of money funding this campaign. Good to see our tax dollars being spent on such a sure bet.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  85. #85
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    We won.

    Good thing too, as our government spent a large amount of money funding this campaign. Good to see our tax dollars being spent on such a sure bet.
    Yes It is going to be hard for them to come back now, But it isn't over till it's over.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  86. #86
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    But it isn't over till it's over.
    This is the Americas Cup.

    It's not over 'till the court says it it...

  87. #87
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    This is the Americas Cup.

    It's not over 'till the court says it it...
    Yes that is why I was hoping that the -2 races wouldn't come into play.

    I mean you can loose the Tour de France over 10 years after it was run.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Oracle has issues up wind,

    It's like they are chopping down a tree with a banana.

  89. #89
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Oracle has issues up wind,

    It's like they are chopping down a tree with a banana.
    He will end up buying more Kiwi's
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  90. #90
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes It is going to be hard for them to come back now, But it isn't over till it's over.
    Oops. Someone told me we'd won it all and I thought he meant it was all over. Maybe I should have paid more attention.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fishbucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    He will end up buying more Kiwi's
    Team Americaland...

  92. #92
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,688

    Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

    Maybe they were too used to the weights in the front of the boat and forgot how to....drive.

  93. #93
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I mean you can loose the Tour de France over 10 years after it was run.
    But apparently you can't win it 10 years later...

  94. #94
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Oracle seems clearly inferior in boat speed,especially upwind.Their thinner hulls tack slower. Design discrepancies...that's what's killing them, not boat handling or tactics. NZ is just plain faster in a type of sailing where boat speed is the biggest variable. Its everything.

    I don't really see how NZ can lose another race, barring major equipment failure.

  95. #95
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Oracle seems clearly inferior in boat speed,especially upwind.Their thinner hulls tack slower. Design discrepancies...that's what's killing them, not boat handling or tactics. NZ is just plain faster in a type of sailing where boat speed is the biggest variable. Its everything.

    I don't really see how NZ can lose another race, barring major equipment failure.
    I agree & I feel sorry for there crew because it is looking like they are not doing the job, Yet they are not the people that got it wrong.

    The designers got it wrong well over a year ago.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  96. #96
    Killer b.
    Reputation: The Understater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,503
    I heard on the radio today (so it must be true) that Team New Zealand hired the two guys who laid out the rules for the current class of boat to design our boat. Bit of a head start right there.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

  97. #97
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    I heard on the radio today (so it must be true) that Team New Zealand hired the two guys who laid out the rules for the current class of boat to design our boat. Bit of a head start right there.
    No not really, It's often the people that know how to bend the rules without braking them that find the speed.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  98. #98
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    Man that was close.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  99. #99
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,405
    I just worked it out, That is how you do a Brown eye with a cat.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    577
    Holy crap! We were so close to disaster! These last three races we need to win won't be the formality we were expecting.

    Surprised we didn't play our cancellation card like Oracle did last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Official Watch thread - What Watch do you wear?
    By nando87 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 08-17-2016, 08:07 AM
  2. Are we becoming ‘Two Americas’?
    By dead_dog_canyon in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM
  3. If you take LSD- don't watch this!
    By pmarshall in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 12:44 AM
  4. Americas best beer city
    By customfab in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 01:48 PM
  5. HRM Watch
    By Paladin54 in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •