Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

The boats are not suposto do this....

Sent 2 guys overboard, ripped up a bunch of carbon fiber faring skins

mtbr member
    Can't trust carbon fiber, should have stuck with steel.

mtbr member

Interesting.

I missed the racing this year. My younger son crews for a vintage America's Cup circuit. I think he is on America II out of NYC. Their boat is sponsored by "W" Hotels. My wife and I got to do the tourist thing on a three lap Americas Cup style race in St. Marteen (sp?) last year. We crewed on True North and lost to Stars and Stripes. Anyway, these same boats race my son's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I missed the racing this year..
    The racing is not over yet..

Go here America's Cup - YouTube and you can watch the nose dive that was today. and the rest of the racing since the beginning.

Go to the 2:10 min mark for the best replay

Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Back about 40 years ago, I used to race on Tornado catamarans, then the world's fastest sailboats. Usually the owner of the boat would actually be the 'crew', hanging out on the trapeze, where he could see the other boats, the course, and think tactics, and he would just tell the crew, the 'driver,' where to steer. The guy who owned the boat I sailed on was an older guy, though, and he didn't feel too comfortable out on that wire, plus I outweighed him by about 50 lb.s (good ballast) so I got the trapeze job. I thought it was a blast.

Anyway, I remember when we pearled the bows in a chop on San Diego bay once....it really did stop the boat dead, from 20 knots to 0. It made me fly on the wire around the rigging, and I almost smacked my head into the mast. We really took it easy getting back to the dock after that, afraid that the aluminum crosspieces might have cracked, or loosened or even damaged the hulls, which were pretty thin fiberglassed plywood.
    My friend lucked out on that one, no major repairs needed, but it as an eye-opener to just how fast we really were going back then. 20 knots was basically a freakish speed for that time....we could literally sail circles around the 12 meter Columbia, which had won the America's Cup for the U.S. the year before.

One thing he did do was install some foot straps for me to stick my feet in while out on the wire, so if it happened again (it did) I was able to stay in contact with the deck.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Great story Ray ! .. Thanks

Looking at the replay again... that boat went 20' under water..
    -Dad

PRETENDURO
    Were they sailing in San Francisco Bay today? I ask because I did a big group ride today on my singlespeed starting in Lake Merced, going over the GG bridge and into the Marin Headlands. While at one of the vistas before the GG bridge, we saw those racing sailboats with the gigantic sails on them, lots of helicopters buzzing around them.

OK, saw the video, I guess they were in fact in San Francisco Bay. How are they leaving those red spots in the water? Is that marine life safe food dye?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Great story Ray ! .. Thanks

Looking at the replay again... that boat went 20' under water..
    Watching those foil boats sail absolutely stupefies me. What's almost impressive is the latest iteration of the Moth, an 11 ft. dinghy. "Developmental ' class boat. Well, now they have added foils to them, an those little goddam cat-rigged dinghys set a new monohull speed record of over 28 knots. Imagine that on an 11' sailboat, with just you way outboard on the trapeze platform. Their best sailors routinely tack and jibe them without ever coming down off the foils. Amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    How are they leaving those red spots in the water?
    That's all CGI to the television screen. Like when they show the scrimmage and yellow 10 yrd lines on the televised football game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/sp...pagewanted=all

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    . Amazing.
    I agree, When I first saw they race I was like " What the Hell !? " and " I want to do THAT ! "
    -Dad

No Stranger to danger....
    Who could forget back in the 80s when the aussies and Ben Lexcen pulled the old winged keel chestnut to beat the mericans boat worth 20 times as much as the poor aussies boat, it took us about 100 years to beat you guys, and we will probably never do it again but it was a huge moment for us down here, RIP Ben Lexcen..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

PRETENDURO
    [QUOTE=Fishbucket;10613791]That's all CGI to the television screen. Like when they show the scrimmage and yellow 10 yrd lines on the televised football game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/sp...pagewanted=all

Ahh, I see. Haven’t had television service since 2004.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Those guys need some Russian water training.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Who could forget back in the 80s when the aussies and Ben Lexcen pulled the old winged keel chestnut to beat the mericans boat worth 20 times as much as the poor aussies boat, it took us about 100 years to beat you guys, and we will probably never do it again but it was a huge moment for us down here, RIP Ben Lexcen..
    You goddammed Aussies and that winged keel opened the developmental Pandora's Box for sailing that resulted in these multihulled, foiled monstrosities out on the water. All the deaths resulting, and to come from them yet....their blood is on your hands!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post

Those guys need some Russian water training.
    This seems sensible!
    It's all Here. Now.

No Stranger to danger....
    You goddammed Aussies and that winged keel opened the developmental Pandora's Box for sailing that resulted in these multihulled, foiled monstrosities out on the water. All the deaths resulting, and to come from them yet....their blood is on your hands!
    LOL, The old sleepy mericans, fell for the old winged keel, then the kiwis got in with the twin hull and exploited the rules, we know all the tricks down here, thats why we are literally ahead of the times Ray.....
    The whole worlds following us....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    LOL, The old sleepy mericans, fell for the old winged keel, then the kiwis got in with the twin hull and exploited the rules, we know all the tricks down here, thats why we are literally ahead of the times Ray.....
    To tell the truth, I enjoyed the AC World Series races a whole lot more....the 45 ft. cats are engineered to actually finish a race, which made the tactics and skills much more enjoyable. And they still made 20+ knots.
    That's really not much faster than we got up to on the old-fashioned 505's I used to race, or the Tornados for that matter, but is quicker, and the 5-man crews really do work at it.

With those 72 foot foil boats, the race is to see who/what breaks down next....

I say wait about 2-5 years until they have the bugs worked out of foils on sail boats. Just sit back and watch the Moths figure things out, which they already have, and then up-engineer their tech to the big boats.

And when it comes to Moths, BTW, one of the best, if not THE best, Moth sailors in the world is from right here in San-Dan-Dan Diego, USA.

Granted, the fact that your toilets swirl the other direction might serve to give you the advantage of a different perspective Down Under, but leading the world? Maybe....in failure-prone boat engineering. I'll give you that much..That and you bastards all have that Health Care! Goddamit!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Anybody watch Americas Cup ?

Mothra. Good thing Godzilla wasn't a cat.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Mothra. Good thing Godzilla wasn't a cat.
    That's actually not a half-bad nickname for those 72 footers. Technology that's reliable on an 11 foot monohull, transferred, without too much up-engineering, to a 72 foot catamaran. Priceless. (literally)
    I wonder if the irreverent folks at SF Gate would pick up on "Mothra"? I'm guessing not, for several reasons.

mtbr member
    pissin in the wind again eah, 1 time for history is all over and out.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Does anyone think the Russian excavator operator had some vodka for lunch?

Silly fun until someone drowns or gets crushed!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    { read with russian accent} : Why do you hate Russian Excavator operator.
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks like those foils work a lot better in calmer waters, moderate winds. In yesterday's races 4 & 5, the NZ boat hit 44 knots in a 14 knot wind. Not bad, eh?

b a n n e d
    Looks like those foils work a lot better in calmer waters, moderate winds. In yesterday's races 4 & 5, the NZ boat hit 44 knots in a 14 knot wind. Not bad, eh?
    Definitely better in moderate winds and calm seas.

I used to be an avid sailor . . . so much so that I contemplated a Jr. Olympics run when I was kid, but my 'rents said no way (wanted me to stay in school). I was racing Laser's at the time. I've tried my hand at the bigger boats too, and did a little racing out here in SoCal, but I much prefer the action (and control) of one-designs. Maybe someday I'll get back into it, but if you think biking is expensive . . . . well, try sailing.

I've always loved the idea of a single-handed skiff like the Swift Solo or an RS6/700
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

human dehumidifier
    That's because we're afraid to turn our backs on you guys
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    I was in the City working too much to catch the race. Did see it off in the distance as I was crossing the GG bridge.
    Gonna have to use the replay right now while it's lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I've always loved the idea of a single-handed skiff like the Swift Solo
    I had to look them up...

Nice Boats !. That's something I would try.
    -Dad

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast