Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949

    Any golfer in the house?

    I just went back to golfing after 10 years hiatus. Well the sport has not change in terms of players, but gosh the equipments has change quite a bit. Cheap too, the used market is just plain awesome. Let's chat

  2. #2
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,892
    I try to swing the sticks a couple times a month during the seasons. Not so much in the summer when it's brutally hot.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hendricks97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    81
    I used to golf regularly until the accident. Now the titanium rods in my back tend to get in the way of my swing

  4. #4
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,740
    Back when I was in school my buddies and I golfed a bunch. Actually it's a pretty fun sport, especially if you go with the right people. I still have my clubs but it's been a few years - probably about 10 for me as well. I keep thinking that I should get out to the range and hit a few but it seems like I'm too busy these days. However your comments about changing equipment intrigues me, mimi.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  5. #5
    I eat cats
    Reputation: Gordon Shumway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,608
    I was golfing a lot a few years back and grew up golfing. A couple/few weekends a month with quick 9 hole rounds mid-week or the range. Then I got back into MTBing and only golf once a year now at my company tourny. I just can't justify spending not only the $ but the time golf takes. While I did play some nice courses including Pebble Beach I didn't enjoy shelling out $70 for a "cheap" round of golf.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

  6. #6
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,740
    Mtn biking definitely took away some of my golf time as well. I was able to golf at a couple decent muni courses that had pretty reasonable green fees but where I am now, no dice dammit.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  7. #7
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Back when I was in school my buddies and I golfed a bunch. Actually it's a pretty fun sport, especially if you go with the right people. I still have my clubs but it's been a few years - probably about 10 for me as well. I keep thinking that I should get out to the range and hit a few but it seems like I'm too busy these days. However your comments about changing equipment intrigues me, mimi.
    I was a decent golfer at 4.1 handicap before I start mountain biking to get in a better shape and before too long mtb took most of the daylight activity and I just stopped playing. The past 10 years I probably played about 25 rounds, something I used to do in 6-7 weeks.

    I refresh my swing on the range a bit and start hitting the interwebz, wow! you can buy good condition premium clubs cheap. I bought a Cleveland classic driver for $50 shipped and I could not miss hit that thing to save my life. Save to say, regardless of when I left I just bought a brand new set of Callaway and used it for half a season and pretty much put it in a time capsule, I bought me a whole new set including bags and all. It was awesome!

    I'm catching up on the launch monitors, simulators and all kinds of goodies. When I left I had this laser range finder, it was like a premium model looks like an enclosed binoculars, now most if not all of them have more features and capability at half up to the same price I paid and fit in the front pocket.

    The only gripe I have is that I'm not as young or in as good shape as I was before(a few mtb crashes last 2 years really did damage to my weight), I'm loosing 20-25 yards per club. My goal is to get back to my handicap by the end of the year. It's been 2 months since I'm back playing golf at 2 rounds/week. I shot 79 yesterday but my official SCGA handicap is 9.3 as of this morning. I'm hooked

  8. #8
    Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Reputation: MadMacMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    383
    Ive been known to haunt the links. I get to play only a few rounds a year now. Occasionally, Ill display a flash of brilliance and fire a round in the low 80's, but mostly its in the low 90's.

  9. #9
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    Ive been known to haunt the links. I get to play only a few rounds a year now. Occasionally, Ill display a flash of brilliance and fire a round in the low 80's, but mostly its in the low 90's.
    This time back seems different to me. I score pretty well so far given the situation, mainly I lack the "go for it" drive, and as you know that's the number one reason for higher score on any hole or round. May be because I'm older and don't have the distance I had but what ever it is I'm seeing the game in a different perspective. It's quite refreshing.

    As for the green fee. I think it's not that much different than 10 years ago may be a few bucks, which is a good thing. Though the Muni course are about 25% more I play at a bit better course further out at cheaper or the same price as the local Muni courses and better bunch of people to play with too.

  10. #10
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I was a decent golfer at 4.1 handicap before I start mountain biking to get in a better shape and before too long mtb took most of the daylight activity and I just stopped playing. The past 10 years I probably played about 25 rounds, something I used to do in 6-7 weeks.

    I refresh my swing on the range a bit and start hitting the interwebz, wow! you can buy good condition premium clubs cheap. I bought a Cleveland classic driver for $50 shipped and I could not miss hit that thing to save my life. Save to say, regardless of when I left I just bought a brand new set of Callaway and used it for half a season and pretty much put it in a time capsule, I bought me a whole new set including bags and all. It was awesome!

    I'm catching up on the launch monitors, simulators and all kinds of goodies. When I left I had this laser range finder, it was like a premium model looks like an enclosed binoculars, now most if not all of them have more features and capability at half up to the same price I paid and fit in the front pocket.

    The only gripe I have is that I'm not as young or in as good shape as I was before(a few mtb crashes last 2 years really did damage to my weight), I'm loosing 20-25 yards per club. My goal is to get back to my handicap by the end of the year. It's been 2 months since I'm back playing golf at 2 rounds/week. I shot 79 yesterday but my official SCGA handicap is 9.3 as of this morning. I'm hooked
    Dang, that's a pretty impressive handicap you had (and you're not doing too bad now)! I never got a handicap but let's just say it was going to be a bit on the high side. Getting some better gear was always a goal of mine, the clubs I had and have now is OK but even back in the day it wasn't great. I should have known that with the internet and all I could get some decent deals on stuff nowadays. Lol, I'm definitely bigger than I was, I wonder what that would do to my scores now? I could get in the mid 80's sometimes, my problem was consistency. The funny thing is even to this day I find myself analyzing pro golfer's swings and wondering how I can use their techniques in my own swing. I'm getting inspired.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  11. #11
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    Ive been known to haunt the links. I get to play only a few rounds a year now. Occasionally, Ill display a flash of brilliance and fire a round in the low 80's, but mostly its in the low 90's.
    That sounds familiar to me.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  12. #12
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Dang, that's a pretty impressive handicap you had (and you're not doing too bad now)! I never got a handicap but let's just say it was going to be a bit on the high side. Getting some better gear was always a goal of mine, the clubs I had and have now is OK but even back in the day it wasn't great. I should have known that with the internet and all I could get some decent deals on stuff nowadays. Lol, I'm definitely bigger than I was, I wonder what that would do to my scores now? I could get in the mid 80's sometimes, my problem was consistency. The funny thing is even to this day I find myself analyzing pro golfer's swings and wondering how I can use their techniques in my own swing. I'm getting inspired.
    My exgirlfriend was a scratch when I was a 14 handicap, that's why she's my ex. I know it's going to be tough with the baby on her way and finding the time to maintain low handicap but I'll give it a try. It took forever the first time around but hopefully not as much this time. Get out there and hit the range hit the course, it'd get you fired up in no time. That goes to you to MMM

  13. #13
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21,538
    I've only played miniature golf. I've been to a driving range one time in my life and I loved it. It felt really good to smack the ball hard. A nice release of built up tension.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  14. #14
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I've only played miniature golf. I've been to a driving range one time in my life and I loved it. It felt really good to smack the ball hard. A nice release of built up tension.
    Yeah! smack them hard and release good built up tension, You'd be forever hooked when you smack them hard it it goes straight. It does not happen very often in the beginning but it's sooo satisfying. I miss the good ol' days, can't wait to see my little girl's first swing in 6 months, wait when do they start walking again?

  15. #15
    Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Reputation: El Castigador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,756

    Any golfer in the house?

    You returned to playing golf; the word is a noun, not a verb.

    Sorry, had to do it...a charmingly pretentious buddy of mine of British ancestry, who fancies himself quite the grammarian, is always correcting our somewhat slack-jawed cohorts on the same flub. For some reason, I find it hilarious.

    That being said, I've been on a bit of a hiatus from golf myself since rediscovering mountain biking back in 2007. Now I'm about to relocate to Monterey after two years in exile from my native California to the dreaded East Coast...REALLY looking forward to swinging the wrenches again!

  16. #16
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    You returned to playing golf; the word is a noun, not a verb.

    Sorry, had to do it...a charmingly pretentious buddy of mine of British ancestry, who fancies himself quite the grammarian, is always correcting our somewhat slack-jawed cohorts on the same flub. For some reason, I find it hilarious.
    I'll wager you are the only person who finds this hilarious.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  17. #17
    Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Reputation: El Castigador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,756

    Any golfer in the house?

    Well, I huff a lot of glue...so you may be right.

  18. #18
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949

    Any golfer in the house?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    You returned to playing golf; the word is a noun, not a verb.

    Sorry, had to do it...a charmingly pretentious buddy of mine of British ancestry, who fancies himself quite the grammarian, is always correcting our somewhat slack-jawed cohorts on the same flub. For some reason, I find it hilarious.

    That being said, I've been on a bit of a hiatus from golf myself since rediscovering mountain biking back in 2007. Now I'm about to relocate to Monterey after two years in exile from my native California to the dreaded East Coast...REALLY looking forward to swinging the wrenches again!
    Oh, thanks for the correcting. I usually writing is a very good. Sorry

    Last 2 rounds were not fun. Too windy.


    Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

  19. #19
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,746

  20. #20
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post

    Ouch!!! But great looking shot.

  21. #21
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,949
    Can you believe this? They are going to ban titanium sole golf clubs, they said that it's the cause of the fire in Orange county. ???

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    113
    I use to golf with father/brother in-law(s)... Since I've taken up mtb-ing we all do that now.

    Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    463
    Yeah im a golfer. I joined MTBR during the GR golf invasion of November 2012.

    After 5 years of playing nothing but golf and drinking beer I decided I needed to take up a more strenuous activity. Golf is better exercise than it's given credit for but I decided I needed to get some cardio fitness and running back and forth to my beer fridge just wasn't cutting it.

    So I took up mountain biking and I'm loving it. Still play golf too but have obviously cut down the amount I play to fit in mountain biking. Both great fun and the riding has been great for my weight and fitness.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Yeah im a golfer. I joined MTBR during the GR golf invasion of November 2012.

    After 5 years of playing nothing but golf and drinking beer I decided I needed to take up a more strenuous activity. Golf is better exercise than it's given credit for but I decided I needed to get some cardio fitness and running back and forth to my beer fridge just wasn't cutting it.

    So I took up mountain biking and I'm loving it. Still play golf too but have obviously cut down the amount I play to fit in mountain biking. Both great fun and the riding has been great for my weight and fitness.
    English is such a stupid language. If golf and bike are both nouns and biking is a verb. Doesn't it make sense that golfing would also be a verb? Stupid...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    English is such a stupid language. If golf and bike are both nouns and biking is a verb. Doesn't it make sense that golfing would also be a verb? Stupid...
    Do you speak and write English?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pimp Wars: House of Nimata vs House of salinijain
    By Gundam168 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM
  2. Ever Been In The Big House?
    By chollaball in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
  3. Perfect bike for a golfer!
    By ginty in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 11:06 AM
  4. House of pleasure or house of pain this weekend?
    By ancient rascal in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 10:29 PM
  5. Going to Ice House ...
    By Aeolian Solo in forum Arizona
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •