official eMpTyBRain

Ancestry: Family History

My wife has been obsessed with building our family history trees for about the past 3 months. I have to admit that it is coming along nicely, too.

On my Mom's side, I found out that we had family fighting against each other in the Civil War and that we have some pretty big American names included.

Share what you know about your family history.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Gnarly
    On my father's side: 3 brothers (farmers) fled Ulster, Northern Ireland after being accused of stealing pigs. (Apparently they were also notorious party animals... so I'm sure their behaviour was fuelled by Guinness and or Jameson) The brothers separated and settled in Scotland, New York and Nova Scotia. My grandfather grew up in Nova Scotia.

On my mom's side: Her family were mountain people in Slovenian (that explains why I love mountains). They had vineyards and made wine. My grandmother was born in a refugee camp during the WW1. She took over the vineyard after most of her family was wiped out.
    She emigrated to Canada and settled in a small mining town in northern Ontario and ran a boarding house. Her remaining family settled in New England.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No Stranger to danger....
    Ive got extended family members with solid ties to the IRA in Ireland, and im related to captain Moonlight a famous Aussie bushranger and famous Aussie painter William Dobell.

Hawg does that mean you had family members fighting each other on the red and blue sides?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Hawg does that mean you had family members fighting each other on the red and blue sides?
    Yes!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    A ways back, one married one of Patrick Henry's daughters.
    One was pardoned by QE 1 after some rebellious Scottish trouble making.
    My wife is a direct descendant of Mary Queen of.
    My sister has been to Scotland twice doing research. Cool stuff.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

mtbr member
    On my fathers side, typical South Texas White Mut. On my mothers side, typical South Texas White Mut. Had a dog once but since our farm bordered Mexico I was not sure what kind of Mut that was. I guess some how that might make me STWM but it does not matter as long as my blood stays red, lungs stay clean and I have fun.

I have some distant relatives living in South Africa & Iceland, they are Muts as well, who knows what color they are. I bet they have dogs too, and I would only hope they are keeping our Mut heritage alive by having Mut dogs.

Never cared much about race or nationality, to me it is not where you come from, it is what you are doing now and where you end up. I was medically retired out of the US Army, served a nation of Muts proudly, and sometimes even deployed to help other nations Muts but mostly just ran down bad muts to have a bad day.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My brother did some research via Smoky Mtn. Kin and found on our grandfathers side, the Ogles were the founders of Gatlinburg Tennessee. The town was however named after Radford Gatlin who opened the post office but was later run out of town under dubious circumstances. It was pretty neat to trace that part of the family all the way back to Scotland and Ireland.

check your six
    Well since you ask. Found this nugget out in 7th grade doing a history report. This is my great uncle.

Fritz Thiele - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    All of my great-grandparents are from other countries and there isn't much information going back any further than that.

Maternal: One set from Slovakia and one set was mixed; one being from England and the other from Sweden.

Paternal: All of them from Poland.

I have done a bit of internet rummaging around and have found a Slovakian Contessa, with the same last name as my "greats", who was married to a Duke; so possibly related to Drakula : D. Other than that, there's an inn in Slovakia that's a mansion that was built by a family also with the same last name. So in other words...not much. I haven't verified the relationships, but it doesn't seem to be a common name.

I do remember the three of my grandmother's siblings that were born in Slovakia proudly displaying their Roman-Ottomon Empire birth certificates when they were still alive. That was pretty cool.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    -
    -
    -
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 10-14-2013 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I found that my great grandfather, Walter Porazynski, was drafted and fought for America during WWI at the age of 38. At the age of 63 he re-enlisted to fight in WWII. He passed away in 1951 at the age of 71.

My dad remembers him vaguely and said he spoke Russian. Our only guess is that he was an interpreter during WWII.

High Desert MTBer
    Welsh nobility on my Mum's side, then they went to Oz and became some of the first republican pioneers and sheep shaggers... My Aussie Grandma traced us all the way back to Roman Britain... Old King Cole (the Merry Old Soul) was in the tree back somewhere, and one of 'em was the last person to be hanged at Tyburn Gallows in London... charged with piracy...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member

Ancestry: Family History

Well my paternal grandfather was in the Austrian Army in the same regiment as Adolf Hitler even though he was Polish. My maternal grandfather was in the Tsar's personal guard and came here in 1913.
    Paternal Grandfather

Maternal Grandfather
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?