Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Yeah, the night vid is terrible, the lights worked pretty good for riding though. It's lower Corona de Loma. Corona dumps off National just west of the Buena Vista parking area, goes down to Desert Classic. This trail is the bottom part of it, it drops 128 ft in .4 mile, most of it in the first .25 mile, it's pretty quick, and of course rocky. I usually run it in around 2:08-2:15.
    Do you ride any of the other areas besides South Mtn? I think I heard that there's some good riding at North Mtn and isn't there a little area to ride on the North side of Int. 10 on the Western side of Phoenix?

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Do you ride any of the other areas besides South Mtn? I think I heard that there's some good riding at North Mtn and isn't there a little area to ride on the North side of Int. 10 on the Western side of Phoenix?
    I live right below South Mountain, 10 minutes by bike and I'm on the trails in the middle, 10 minutes by car and I'm on the trails at the east end. I've ridden North Mountain, yes there's good stuff there, I've been over in the White Tanks once, that's where you mention west of town and north of 10. I've ridden lots out to the east, over by Superior, on the Arizona Trail. 2beerjoe and I a couple of Father's Days ago rode the AZT down off Montana Mountain, out to the east of the valley. It was quite a ride, the trail started up around 5400 ft, was 21 miles back down to hwy 60, and the trail map profile looked like all down hill. Ended up taking us 6 hours, man was it rugged up there, there really wasn't much trail, just kind of a hint of where there might have been one. It was a lot of fun. My wife and son were all worried because I was gone so long, the previous Father's Day I came home with my face all smashed up, a broken finger and a chipped elbow from an OTB. I ride Sedona and Flagstaff a few times a year, climbed up to 10,000 ft on Mt Humphries recently, on mostly single track. So, to make a short answer long for you, yes I ride other places. Here's a couple snaps of the Montana Mountain ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5836.jpg  

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5838.jpg  

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5839.jpg  

live long and huck
    freighttrain, that's part of why I ride, to get away from the masses. A lot of my rides are planned for times and places where I know there won't be many, if any people. I've done rides at 110 degrees, 20 miles out into nothing and back, never seeing another soul, not even at the trail head. Marvelous.

I think that I would enjoy your Quarry Trail. Nice climb, by the way.

mtbr member
    I figured you did, you just hadn't mentioned or supplied vid/pics for any of the other places recently.

Nice to have South Mtn in your backyard, though... awesome local "stomping grounds".

live long and huck
    I figured you did, you just hadn't mentioned or supplied vid/pics for any of the other places recently.

Nice to have South Mtn in your backyard, though... awesome local "stomping grounds".

We've never had an on topic off topic means to share before. I'll dig through the archive for some of the more interesting pics.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i had a glorious ride today, but seemed everybody else was having a rough time, breakin shyt. my poor bud had this XTR derailleur for only 3 hours, and....

fap

mtbr member
    Oh, wow! Did he slam it on a rock and bend it?!

a flat slab of a rock, about 6 inches long just flung up in there. kind of a freak thing. it was the only random rock on the flowy section of trail
    wasnt just bent either, pieces just shattered off
    fap

banned
    Feb 2012
    For any others who watch this, be forewarned, freighttrain asked for a raw climbing video, this is 13+ unedited minutes of me gasping for air.
    Nice climb! I ride a comparable one (distance, elevation gain) near my office once every full moon, only mine is littered with rocks, mud and tons of roots. I tried to persuade Nicole to ride there with me and my friend but she would not ride without her wolfpack.

I have no video but if you do strava, here is a link to the segment. Strava Segment | Howard St Climb

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    a flat slab of a rock, about 6 inches long just flung up in there. kind of a freak thing. it was the only random rock on the flowy section of trail
    wasnt just bent either, pieces just shattered off
    That's why I ride with a SLX RD. Comparable performance, more robust, only slightly heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Nice climb! I ride a comparable one (distance, elevation gain) near my office once every full moon, only mine is littered with rocks, mud and tons of roots. I tried to persuade Nicole to ride there with me and my friend but she would not ride without her wolfpack.

I have no video but if you do strava, here is a link to the segment. Strava Segment | Howard St Climb
    wha? when did i turn down a ride? if you mean that day we fitted tires, i didnt have any gear with me!
    fap

banned
    Sep 2007
    i had a glorious ride today, but seemed everybody else was having a rough time, breakin shyt. my poor bud had this XTR derailleur for only 3 hours, and....

Ouch! That's why I only own cheap SRAM X7. Ironically, knock on wood, I've never broken a derailleur or hanger yet.

mtbr member
    Tried to get out for another ride tonight but couldn't get the usual suspects to participate (I didn't want to ride alone) so I stayed home and did some things that needed to be taken care of.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Tried to get out for another ride tonight but couldn't get the usual suspects to participate (I didn't want to ride alone) so I stayed home and did some things that needed to be taken care of.
    I rode twice today - I had a great early morning ride with a next door buddy and an evening relaxing ride with wifey.

I rode yesterday with the slow/fat group ride. Slow indeed. I think our average speed was like 5-6mph. on an easy mostly buff flat trail, with plenty of stops. It was fun though. Sometimes you need to go that slow to be able to enjoy going full tilt.

I wanted to ride today but do to a mishap involving a glass bottle, fire and water being spit from a tree, I didn't. The burn on my hand looks funny though because the flesh is burnt around my callouses from work/riding but the callouses are fine.

There's a six hour race on the 18th I'm doing. I'll post some flicks after that for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    ^ picture of the burn or GTFO! ^

Suckin wind like a boss
    im coming to the realization that drunken night rides are not my forte. clearly i need more practice.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    im coming to the realization that drunken night rides are not my forte. clearly i need more practice.
    Can you supply some details/results/events/highlights?

9 lives
    We rode yesterday and today. It was quite overcast today and because of the time change we needed our lights by 5pm! Dark days are ahead
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I'm glad you guys (and gals) got out there. I busted my bottom all weekend long with work. Worked straight through since last Monday and gonna keep on going right through this week!

Next day off: Saturday

EDIT: of course, I will get in a few workout loop rides, though.

9 lives
    Hope you can break up the work grind a bit... don't want you to get grumpy
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

i learned that the hard way too Terry, i dont think i can ever drink as much again, as i did friday (i wasnt blackout drunk, but enough to make night mtb'ing feel really shaky and stupid) we rode somehwere very easy, but we were out for many hours and i was just aching so bad, with random black n blues. Next time, i'm only drinking slightly less than that, haha. i also seem to remember making some very embarrassing confessions to some new friends. eek. i'm sure i'll get reminded
    fap

mtbr member
    i learned that the hard way too Terry, i dont think i can ever drink as much again, as i did friday (i wasnt blackout drunk, but enough to make night mtb'ing feel really shaky and stupid) we rode somehwere very easy, but we were out for many hours and i was just aching so bad, with random black n blues. Next time, i'm only drinking slightly less than that, haha. i also seem to remember making some very embarrassing confessions to some new friends. eek. i'm sure i'll get reminded
    You are such a tease! .... OK, I'll bite, what confessions?

live long and huck
    Few pics from the archive, Pass Mountain, I've ridden here a few times, 1/2 hour from home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5181.jpg  

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5184.jpg  

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5186.jpg  

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5190.jpg  

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-dscn5200.jpg  

Suckin wind like a boss
    Can you supply some details/results/events/highlights?
    well, i got started way too soon...i was a passenger on the road trip, didnt have to drive, so i was well juiced by the time we got there. barely had time to set up the tent before it was time to ride. it was my first time on the trail- i had never even ridden it in daylight before- and it is, in places, above my ability to ride (even sober ). i found that out the hard way, a few miles in, when i went over a smallish jump on a downhill line, and blew my front tire on the landing- going otb and faceplanting in the rocks. i was encouraged to take the ride out in the sag truck, and i had pretty much come to that conclusion before it was even offered to me. the truck happened to have all the beer, too so not a total waste.

im gonna need to practice on trails i know, before i do anymore new trails at night. being half faced didnt help but not knowing the terrain, i think, was my biggest issue. other than that it was really freakin cool to be riding in the woods and see a chain of headlights hundreds of yards long, snaking through the woods and hills.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    well, i got started way too soon...i was a passenger on the road trip, didnt have to drive, so i was well juiced by the time we got there. barely had time to set up the tent before it was time to ride. it was my first time on the trail- i had never even ridden it in daylight before- and it is, in places, above my ability to ride (even sober ). i found that out the hard way, a few miles in, when i went over a smallish jump on a downhill line, and blew my front tire on the landing- going otb and faceplanting in the rocks. i was encouraged to take the ride out in the sag truck, and i had pretty much come to that conclusion before it was even offered to me. the truck happened to have all the beer, too so not a total waste.

im gonna need to practice on trails i know, before i do anymore new trails at night. being half faced didnt help but not knowing the terrain, i think, was my biggest issue. other than that it was really freakin cool to be riding in the woods and see a chain of headlights hundreds of yards long, snaking through the woods and hills.
    Agreed. I wouldn't rode any trail at night that I wasn't already familiar with, and being buzzed in addition is a recipe for trouble.

banned
    Feb 2012
    It is getting dark awfully early now, I am thinking about riding some of the tamer trails at night. A helmet mounted Mag lite should suffice, right?

Terrain Sculptor
    It is getting dark awfully early now, I am thinking about riding some of the tamer trails at night. A helmet mounted Mag lite should suffice, right?
    Mag lights are pretty expensive.

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-light2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

banned
    Feb 2012
    You are right. I am going to get a pair of the gas station $3 torches instead.

DIY all the way
    I got a new bike today

http://www.malcolmrathmellsport.com/...EL2011_web.jpg

I've wanted to try one of those for a long time. Today I managed to swap for repairing a couple of carbon fiber exhausts for a moto trial bike.
    Now that's gonna be good fun.

Magura

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    I got a new bike today

http://www.malcolmrathmellsport.com/...EL2011_web.jpg

I've wanted to try one of those for a long time. Today I managed to swap for repairing a couple of carbon fiber exhausts for a moto trial bike.
    Now that's gonna be good fun.

Magura
    I cannot see how riding this could be safe. It is obviously missing reflectors in both wheels!

DIY all the way
    I cannot see how riding this could be safe. It is obviously missing reflectors in both wheels!
    To be honest, I agree that thing is not safe, and I'd wish I could blame it on the reflectors

Magura

Ride More, Work Less
    That's a beauty--is the model name the "Nutcracker"?
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    That's a beauty--is the model name the "Nutcracker"?
    I have a feeling it will be baptized "Nutcracker" in the nearest future.

Let's just call it agile, as instability sounds terribly negative

Magura

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yesterday's ride was definitely an "Off Camber", off-topic ride (on-topic for RBR though ). I wanted a smooth fast ride and no parking issues, so I did a road ride. Looking at everyone's videos and pictures in this thread makes me miss the dirt though, so maybe I'll sneak a mtb ride in this week.

I wish I lived near that Helipad climb that Optimus posted video of. You know I'd be right there with camera recording as always!

The thing I like about the country roads I rode yesterday is the continuous effort with minimal stopping and minimal traffic. There aren't any stop signs or traffic signals and I don't have to pull over and stop every time another road user approaches, so I can burn off more fat (hopefully!) and keep a rhythm going.

Even though this was a road ride, I made sure it had plenty of climbing like my favorite mtb rides. On the way up one hill, the lead rider in a group of three descending cyclists saw me and said hi. When I said hi back to him he yelled "Hey I know you! I did, uh, Scott's ride!".

"Scott" is a member of a cycling club I'm also a member of, and he leads some of the best climbing sufferfests you could ask for. Unfortunately I'm too fat and slow to keep up with those hammerheads. I'm also the wrong gender . Nature didn't bless most women with the strength to keep up with male mountain goat cyclists . Strava reminds me of that every time I post a ride and compare myself to men and women instead of just women.

Bike Ride Profile | Malcolm Dixon, Deer Valley Roads near El Dorado Hills | Times and Records | Strava

Here's the Garmin Connect version of the same ride, useful for those who aren't on Strava. You don't need to be a member and logged in to see all the data on Garmin Connect: Malcolm Dixon, Deer Valley Roads by freighttraininguphill at Garmin Connect - Details

Here's video of that ride. You can see and hear the other rider who recognized me from the climbing sufferfest club ride starting at 3:38.

Malcolm Dixon, Deer Valley Road ride 11-4-12 - YouTube
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMnJmfXCd14" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I only found one thing worthy of a picture-a misspelled street sign.

mtbr member
    Anyone decorating their bike for the holiday season? I just received my order for a short strand of 10 LED lit icicles powered by 2 AA batteries! I'll probably wrap it around the rails of my saddle and string the rest on down the seat post.

Is not amused
    No but im waiting for my winter tires to get here. Purgatory 2.3F Ground control 2.3R. Also after I thought my LBS used Bonti TLR strips and valves I found out they used Stans, hey it was for free so no harm but today put in order for the Bonti kit as well. Still going to use the Stans fluid though.

Phoned in.

mtbr member
    "I roll Ground Controls front and rear 365 days a year".

We don't get "Winter" here and these tires work well for our "loose over hardpack" terrain.

live long and huck
    No but im waiting for my winter tires to get here. Purgatory 2.3F Ground control 2.3R. Also after I thought my LBS used Bonti TLR strips and valves I found out they used Stans, hey it was for free so no harm but today put in order for the Bonti kit as well. Still going to use the Stans fluid though.

Phoned in.
    Personal experience with both tires, granted it's in the dry, but I'd run the ground Control on front and the Purgatory on back. GC 2.3 doesn't "look" overly impressive, but it grabs extremely well.

Is not amused
    Yea, I hope they are promising. Was going to get a different set but decided otherwise.

Phoned in.

mtbr member
    Personal experience with both tires, granted it's in the dry, but I'd run the ground Control on front and the Purgatory on back. GC 2.3 doesn't "look" overly impressive, but it grabs extremely well.
    GCs remind me of the old Specialized tire Roll-X, which I loved!

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I wanted a smooth fast ride and no parking issues, so I did a road ride. The thing I like about the country roads I rode yesterday is the continuous effort with minimal stopping and minimal traffic.

Nature didn't bless most women with the strength to keep up with male mountain goat cyclists . Strava reminds me of that every time I post a ride and compare myself to men and women instead of just women.
    Very nice ride. 5 PR's, some nice sustained climbs, 5ish continuous miles of primarily 5-7% grades, not too shabby at all.

Funny that you compare yourself to the men, I find that I compare myself to the women. I'll never be able to compete with the top tier men, but I get a kick out of it when I'm almost as fast as the upper echelon women. It's fun though just to see where you stand against your peers. Climbing, I tend to be toward the back of the pack, descending definitely well into the front.

mtbr member
    Opti, what tires do you roll on over that jagged rocky terrain that makes up the Valley of the Sun?

Ride More, Work Less
    I'm working on my winter set up. The current set up is Bontrager XR-1s (1.9"s). When the trail is in good shape, they are great. Put a little loose sand on top--they turn into a mess. Last winter was a disaster. They were too narrow for snow and had no traction on the icy stuff.

I now have a set of bontrager 29-2 2.1" tires that I'm going to try this winter. Hopefully they will work. I only paid $10 for the set (they were take offs gathering dust in the LBS), but I wanted wider. If they don't work, I'll have a new set of tires to try next year.

Perhaps next year I'll have to pick up a fat bike

live long and huck
    Opti, what tires do you roll on over that jagged rocky terrain that makes up the Valley of the Sun?
    I really like Specialized tires, they hold up well for me and their performance is certainly acceptable. On my single speed I was liking a Captain 2.2 rear, Eskar 2.3 front, control casing. Can't get Eskars anymore, switched to Ground Controls on the SS, awesome for the assigned mission. On my AM bikes, which are both 29ers, I really like a Butcher 2.3 control front. Being as it just came out, I was riding a 2.4 Purgatory on front. I like a 2.3 Purgatory rear. I do have a Pivot Firebird also that I never ride, I like my 29ers, I ride Butcher front and Clutch rear on the Bird but in SX casing, very tough tire. I run everything tubeless. I wear out a half dozen tires a year, but only slice maybe one. I'd really like a 29er tire as tough as an SX, although it would be a little bit heavy.

I'll be selling the Bird soon, size large, very nice condition although it has been dumped a few times.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I'm working on my winter set up. The current set up is Bontrager XR-1s (1.9"s). When the trail is in good shape, they are great. Put a little loose sand on top--they turn into a mess. Last winter was a disaster. They were too narrow for snow and had no traction on the icy stuff.

I now have a set of bontrager 29-2 2.1" tires that I'm going to try this winter. Hopefully they will work. I only paid $10 for the set (they were take offs gathering dust in the LBS), but I wanted wider. If they don't work, I'll have a new set of tires to try next year.

Perhaps next year I'll have to pick up a fat bike
    I was looking at running the 29-3F, 29-2R as my other set up. Until I saw how few reply's in a thread I started asking about them. FWIW the 29-2 looked to be a promising rear tire and if you want you could run it in a 2.35 up front. Those should be a good tire out your way though if it doesn't get to wet. The XR2/26 at the LBS is almost identical to the 29-2 and wanted to to go overkill for this winter. Thus went with the more burly set up.

Why do I have a feeling your referring to the older version and not the new one and I just typed this up for practice at typing....

Ride More, Work Less
    They are the older ones best I can tell (not the same as the website). The old tread pattern looks better for winter, though.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Is not amused
    Name:  He+does+have+a+point+_d1465f15090ea9441d57d6c6e96abc6a.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  5.9 KB

He does have a good point though.

Is not amused
    So new tires came in. Just waiting on the TLRS. They are nice looking.

Anyway.... you know that awkward moment when you take a week off cause your sick and have poison ivy growing on your arm and you can't take it anymore so you go out for a night ride only to run into team members finishing up a night ride and you missed a race a couple days before that was a night race. So you your all like "hey" all awkward like especially cause their doing the trail backwards and you have your lights on full blast total 2400 lumens est*.

But wait there's more so you turn down your lights and that's that and your doing your usual laps only to come onto a new section at night and your like wtf, um, this is new. So you do your two laps freezing your toes, hands, and not sure if your balls have dropped back to normal status. Then you come on here.

Anyone else ever get that?

For the record I'm all bundled up like the picture below now.

Name:  0c0.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  37.1 KB

mtbr member
    So new tires came in. Just waiting on the TLRS. They are nice looking.

Anyway.... you know that awkward moment when you take a week off cause your sick and have poison ivy growing on your arm and you can't take it anymore so you go out for a night ride only to run into team members finishing up a night ride and you missed a race a couple days before that was a night race. So you your all like "hey" all awkward like especially cause their doing the trail backwards and you have your lights on full blast total 2400 lumens est*.

But wait there's more so you turn down your lights and that's that and your doing your usual laps only to come onto a new section at night and your like wtf, um, this is new. So you do your two laps freezing your toes, hands, and not sure if your balls have dropped back to normal status. Then you come on here.

Anyone else ever get that?

For the record I'm all bundled up like the picture below now.

Name:  0c0.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  37.1 KB
    Ummm, well..., no.

But I can picture you all cuddly/cozy in your burrito style blanket body wrap.

Post a pic of the new tread!

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast