Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 2849
    mtbr member
    Cool vid. I love the perspective. You should edit this into your fall.
    It was definitely slick up this way. Roots seem to have less drag coefficient than ice, hit them and you'll fling sideways in a instant. Rocks where I was were only somewhat slick, redeeming.

Is not amused
    Merry Christmas, kiss the barrel under the mistletoe.

The "all about bikes only thread" in the "no bike discussion" forum page-fg.jpg

see me rollin, they hatin
    i'll be getting some random pics. anyhoo, this first pic is a little scary with the branches cutting across my face. But no vids today

fap

mtbr member
    is that musquish?

Rm!
    fap

mtbr member
    Noice. Bet that was muddy down off the long log ride.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Knee is feeling pretty good, looking very good, Tegaderm is amazing stuff.
    Glad the Teg is working well. It kind of creeps some people out, but it is awesome stuff.

60% at the top,.
    Gaining 60 feet of elevation for every 100 feet of road? What do the crews use to go up it? I thought that was beyond the ability of a typical 4wd vehicle.

Also, a couple pics of 2 more of our products out in the oil field, we only make the center distributor in the last pic, it's about 12' in diameter and about 15' tall.
    That distributor is nuts. I haven't ever seen anything like it. What does it distribute?

Quote Originally Posted by liljoe76 View Post
    Noice. Bet that was muddy down off the long log ride.
    didnt frikken touch that! it was super slick everywhere.
    fap

Rabid Lana fan
    Cool pix so far, Nicole!
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

I dd what you see there.
    I'd love to post the pictures of my ride today, but unfortunately it was in my new car.

Set out last week to buy a bike and bought a car instead. Strange how things work....

Still looking at a couple bikes though.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Moar.

and i thought this was funny. hold your jokes! i was actually about to slide out, hence the face.
    fap

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Glad the Teg is working well. It kind of creeps some people out, but it is awesome stuff.

Gaining 60 feet of elevation for every 100 feet of road? What do the crews use to go up it? I thought that was beyond the ability of a typical 4wd vehicle.

That distributor is nuts. I haven't ever seen anything like it. What does it distribute?

I'll put a knee pic up later, it's amazing!! That was an awesome tip Bill, thanks again.

My GPS didn't show any 60%, lots of high 30's and low 40's though. Got some killer video for freighttrain of me getting my asss kicked pushing my bike up the hills. I took my hardtail, lighter, more efficient, etc. It didn't matter. Round wheels, square wheels, whatever, it was frickin steep up there. First time I've had to drop my seat post on a concrete hill, smoked my rear brake rotor trying to keep from dying on the descent.

The distributor is for oil. We build these contraptions too that basically are filled with a bunch of funnels and when dirty oil comes from the ground it gets pumped through and the whirlpool of the oil going down the funnels forces the dirt out. Dirty oil in, clean oil out.

mtbr member
    I also got in a ride today! What a bunch of riding fools we were today.

I'll upload my 14+ minute video tonight and post it in the morning....

Rabid Lana fan
    ^ cool. What kind of terrain today?

mtbr member
    It's two different single tracks, one ending just about where another begins. The first I've posted here before. It's called bent Arrow. The other Caballero. I may have posted that one here too, in the past. Can't remember???

BTW, 2 cougars were sighted in the last 1/4 of the recording!!! So keep your eyes peeled.

EDIT: Terrain: The first one is twisty/turny with a lot of exposure. The other is a bit wider with some exposed rocks to swerve around.

Rabid Lana fan
    ^ huckin fun!

Ride More, Work Less
    I'm back from my camping extravaganza and it only seems like i missed 5 or more pages of this thread. Is there anybody interested in writing a weekly digest of the "best of" this thread?

We now have 6 inches of wet sticky snow on the ground. It might be a few more days before I can ride outdoors

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I'm back from my camping extravaganza and it only seems like i missed 5 or more pages of this thread. Is there anybody interested in writing a weekly digest of the "best of" this thread?

We now have 6 inches of wet sticky snow on the ground. It might be a few more days before I can ride outdoors
    same here only about 4 inches though
    that reminds me I need to clear the driveway

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    BTW, 2 cougars were sighted in the last 1/4 of the recording!!! So keep your eyes peeled.
    Did you get their phone numbers??

mtbr member
    Did you get their phone numbers??
    No, but if I was single I certainly would have... they weren't raging beauties but they would have been fine for one night of adventure.

Rabid Lana fan
    Take em camping?

live long and huck
    No, but if I was single I certainly would have... they weren't raging beauties but they would have been fine for one night of adventure.

Ggrrrrrr!!

I've got the last bit of my climb today uploading right now, it's hilarious, I'm dam near hyperventilating pushing my bike, the last 1/10 of a mile or so was well over 40% grade. The downhill vid is sad, the steepness is not represented at all, I look like I'm crawling coming down (because I was), I was NOT wanting to let my speed get out of control.

mtbr member
    ^ different thread...

live long and huck
    Speaking of being single, or not, a guy that I worked with about 8 years ago was always running around on his wife. Different girls all of the time, several times a week, always running around. Well, I do believe in the sanctity of marriage vows, so I called him out on it. His response was, "It's just sex, it's really no different than masturbating, just that I'm using a girl instead of my hand". How's that for justification. Needless to say, he ended up getting divorced. I can't believe that his wife didn't see it the same way.

mtbr member
    I joke around a bunch about girls but I am completely faithful. I know a good thing when I see it and my wife is just that. Going on 15 years now.

I have a buddy who screwed around a lot on his first wife. He wasn't happy with her, that's why. I was glad the day he told me they were getting a divorce. He is now happily remarried.

I was the Best Man at his first marriage. I must have jinxed it....

live long and huck
    22 years for me, I figure if she is willing to put up with me for this long, she's got to be a keeper.

My first climbing contribution for the day, downhill is uploading. At about 3:16ish I look down and you can see my feet and get a good idea of how steep this road is. Crazy.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ptNYuTzCJjo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ride More, Work Less
    ^^^ From your shadow, it appears you are walking your bike up hill That barely looks like a challenge

live long and huck
    My round trip was only 9.6 miles, 2126 ft of climbing in 4.8 of those miles, the bulk of it between 2.25 and 4.7 miles, almost 1000 ft/mile. No wonder I was pushing. It was cold up there too, had to pull on a long sleeve for the ride down, eyes watering, snot running down my face, good thing there were no cougars up there.

live long and huck
    ^^^ From your shadow, it appears you are walking your bike up hill That barely looks like a challenge
    I would pay to watch somebody actually pedal all of the way up that climb. I wouldn't even mind if they took a couple breaks, as long as they pedaled it all.

Rabid Lana fan
    Yeah, that's steeeep!

Ride More, Work Less
    I would pay to watch somebody actually pedal all of the way up that climb. I wouldn't even mind if they took a couple breaks, as long as they pedaled it all.
    It looked sick. Way beyond my ability.

This is the steepest grade I can find in my area. It is only about 13% and very short. It kills me. Anything longer or steeper would be the end. Nobody seems to know about it, so I sit on top of the leader board. I'm going to try to go under 1 min soon.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/segments/2819097/embed'></iframe>

mtbr member
    Opti, The gloves in your video look awfully familiar. I wore mine today on my ride, too.

Nice toes, huh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The &quot;all about bikes only thread&quot; in the &quot;no bike discussion&quot; forum page-121209_0003.jpg  

live long and huck
    Opti, The gloves in your video look awfully familiar. I wore mine today on my ride, too.

Nice toes, huh?
    Holy shyt!! You wear Specialized Radiators, just like me! And you've got 5 toes on your left foot, just like me!! And you drive a Nissan, just like me!!! How weird is that? Could it be? Both of our moms were knocked up by the same UPS man??? LOL!!

They're the most comfortable gloves that I've found yet, my last pair went almost 2 full years before I finally wore through the thumb.

mtbr member
    Holy shyt!! You wear Specialized Radiators, just like me! And you've got 5 toes on your left foot, just like me!! And you drive a Nissan, just like me!!! How weird is that? Could it be? Both of our moms were knocked up by the same UPS man??? LOL!!
    I will check my, oops, I meant our family tree and get back to you in a while.

'nother. this is on a super fun pump track at the end of the trail.

fap

live long and huck

This is the steepest grade I can find in my area. It is only about 13% and very short. It kills me. Anything longer or steeper would be the end. Nobody seems to know about it, so I sit on top of the leader board. I'm going to try to go under 1 min soon.
    I've only recently paid much attention to distance and grade. I've climbed what appeared to be some steep hills, I've walked many more. 13% sustained is steep. I find that it's hard to get into a smooth full granny rhythm, I tend to mash, which actually seems to pretty much defeat the purpose when you're climbing in granny. You've got a nice hill there to work out on, heyyall, keep at it and you'll beat your time. I home you don't get all upset when you steal your KOM.

Strava is fun. I don't get all geeky about it, but it's neat to see where you stand, and it gives you a way to monitor your improvements. That part where I was actually on the bike pedaling, the grade "flattened" out to just 17.5 degrees, after what I had been pushing it seemed fairly flat. I run a 22x36 granny on that bike, I was slid way forward, hammering, and I couldn't hardly keep the front end down, putting down a blistering 3.5 mph. I'd have been laughing my asss off, if I would've been able to breathe. Man I was whipped, just from pushing. I can honestly say, I'll probably never do that hill again. There's no point, I'll never be able to climb it. I'll stick to things that I actually have half a chance at. But, it was there, it was an adventure.

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post

Looks like you don't shy away from much as far as the terrain that you ride, good for you. What kind of temperatures were you riding in there, nicole? What do you do for fun and excitement when everything is snow covered and you can't ride?

close to 50 degrees today! thats abnormal. it was wet and mucky the first half, and i was on a clumsy roll at first, but finally it started to dry up towards the end. i JUST got myself some studded tires, so it will be my first time snow riding (before, it was just random patches of snow in the spring) i try to get out and snowshoe, and hike, but often for my dog's sake
    fap

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I rode today too, as well as yesterday. I shoot a bunch of Contour footage yesterday, top tube mount. It's all useless...camera shook too much. I really thought that way would have worked out good.

Today, I did my trusty old 'mount it on the chain stay'. For some reason, my camera likes to be mounted that way, it provides pretty stable footage like that.

Nothing new for me, but a few crashes today. I used at least one in today's edit.
    Surprisingly stable mounted on the chain stay, that was some yucky chunk you were flying through, too. Man, when I see the vids you guys make with the fallen leaves and the damp earth, I almost can feel again that old damp Michigan chill. The last few years that I lived there I really developed a dislike for pretty much mid October through April. My thyroid started weirding out about 6 years ago, and I have no tolerance for cold anymore.

I like your doggy, I love seeing dogs out on the trail doing what dogs do.

Ride More, Work Less

This is a great shot.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

live long and huck
    close to 50 degrees today! thats abnormal. it was wet and mucky the first half, and i was on a clumsy roll at first, but finally it started to dry up towards the end. i JUST got myself some studded tires, so it will be my first time snow riding (before, it was just random patches of snow in the spring) i try to get out and snowshoe, and hike, but often for my dog's sake
    50 degrees, all right!! It was a touch cooler than that here this morning. My sissy self had to wait until noonish to head out. Back in the day, I used to dirt bike all winter long. It was kind of funny, we'd be heading north with a trailer full of dirt bikes, passing all kinds of trucks and trailers full of snowmobiles.

I've never snowshoed. I'll bet that you can work up a pretty good heart rate doing that.

live long and huck
    This is a great shot.
    I agree.

Ride More, Work Less
    I see a lot of snow shoers around here. The newer models (sleek, light aluminum) look like fun; the old tennis racket style not so much. But for me, cross country skiing is where it is at. I just new a few more inches of snow and I will be out under the moonlight.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Yeah, that's steeeep!
    what is the grade of the old road up monte sano? the one with no cars on it anymore, and it ends at kind of a scenic overlook?

This is a great shot.
    if only she looked like she was having fun.

often i just stick the crampon type things onto my boots and just walk. the trails get too packed for snowshoes. the snow has to be the perfect depth and consistancy. i dont even think i used them much, mostly the shoe studs.
    fap

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I'll put a knee pic up later, it's amazing!! That was an awesome tip Bill, thanks again.
    Sure, just glad to help.
    We build these contraptions too that basically are filled with a bunch of funnels and when dirty oil comes from the ground it gets pumped through and the whirlpool of the oil going down the funnels forces the dirt out. Dirty oil in, clean oil out.
    Sure, like a Dyson vacuum with the centrifugal cone thingys. Great stuff. Nice to see the oil service business have another surge. Lots of high-paying jobs for a person who doesn't mind working.

Oh, just watched the climbing video. That hill is nuts. Good for you for finishing it all the way to the top and not just giving up/ I noticed the propane tank at the top. I would not want to be the guy who has to drive a propane truck to the top of that hill, and then hope the brakes hold on the way down.

mtbr member
    22 years for me, I figure if she is willing to put up with me for this long, she's got to be a keeper.

My first climbing contribution for the day, downhill is uploading. At about 3:16ish I look down and you can see my feet and get a good idea of how steep this road is. Crazy.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ptNYuTzCJjo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    What the hell?! Why is that road soooo steep?

Questions:
    *It appears to be only one lane and paved. Do service vehicles actually use it?
    *What is one vehicle is going down and another is coming up?
    *What's the elevation up there? Looks very high...
    *If your heart explodes the next time you do that climb, can I have all of your bikes? I promise to take good care of them, using my Nissan to haul them around, using my Spesh gloves to ride them, while pushing the left crank with my left foot that has 5 toes (like yours)...please don't ell me that you're left handed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yikes! There's no way in hell I would ever be able to climb that road either, even with a 22/36. That's one hell of a hike!
    I would pay even more for video of that too!

<iframe allowtransparency="true" src="http://app.strava.com/segments/2819097/embed" frameborder="0" height="405" scrolling="no" width="590"></iframe>
    Let's see some raw video of that climb when you do it again I love 13% grades! Today's ride had plenty of that and more.
    Strava is fun. I don't get all geeky about it, but it's neat to see where you stand, and it gives you a way to monitor your improvements. That part where I was actually on the bike pedaling, the grade "flattened" out to just 17.5 degrees, after what I had been pushing it seemed fairly flat. I run a 22x36 granny on that bike, I was slid way forward, hammering, and I couldn't hardly keep the front end down, putting down a blistering 3.5 mph. I'd have been laughing my asss off, if I would've been able to breathe. Man I was whipped, just from pushing. I can honestly say, I'll probably never do that hill again. There's no point, I'll never be able to climb it. I'll stick to things that I actually have half a chance at. But, it was there, it was an adventure.
    Strava is too brutally honest . Either I've gained weight, or the trails being muddier slowed me down, because today's ride showed that it was the slowest of the three times I've ridden these trails. The steep trail was a first for me, so I have no idea if I sucked or not, except compared to other riders of course.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | SFART, West Ridge Trail near Folsom | Times and Records | Strava
    SFART, West Ridge Trail by freighttraininguphill at Garmin Connect - Details

I rode the South Fork American River Trail (SFART) to the eastern trailhead of the West Ridge Trail, which is the steep trail I wanted to check out.

West Ridge Trail actually starts out almost as wide as a fire road, and it wasn't as steep as it looked the last time I rode out there. It ended up being a pretty consistent 11-12%, with a few very short steeper sections. Here's the views from the top.

It narrows to singletrack later on during the descent, as you can see in the video here. It's the climb up and the ride down to the end of the trail at SFART.

West Ridge Trail MTB ride 12-9-12 - YouTube
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E7mdwuKkEc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fat & Single
    I just posted this in the FatBike flim topic, might as well get it up here too in the "non riding thread". First ride today with the Hero3 black, watch in HD on full screen. The quality is awesome for a 66mb file

<iframe width="700" height="415" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E_YHvQX-kE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

live long and huck
    please don't ell me that you're left handed.
    As a matter of fact.......