High Desert MTBer

Be afraid! Be very afraid...

For those herpophobes of you of a nervous disposition, do not watch this!!!

Julius Escaping on Vimeo

They are coming to get you in your homes!!! Arggghhh!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

King of Middle Earth
    I can do that with my snake, too.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's a beautiful albino Burm. How big is she?
    I miss mine.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i love snakes!
    fap

mtbr member

Be afraid! Be very afraid...

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i love snakes!
    You make it way too easy for the creepy guys around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You make it way too easy for the creepy guys around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In this case, she's just being genuine. She really does think snakes (the animal) are cool. I agree with her!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i love snakes!

Que the stalkers.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Que the stalkers.
    Woop! Here they come!!!

Be afraid! Be very afraid...-bicycle-cats-j-p-coats-thread.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

see me rollin, they hatin
    all pervy jokes aside, i do love snakes. i used to bring them into the house as a kid. my mom is terrified of them, and somehow they'd always get loose and end up in her room. I got the spider fear, and she doesnt mind them. Now when i see snakes in the woods, during trail work for example, the guys are all like eeeeek and i just pick the damn thing up and move it.
    fap

pin it
    I like big pythons... and little garter snakes are cute too. This one took a shine to me during a ride last fall

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

High Desert MTBer
    Ah, but when you're laying in bed at night, and you see the door knob start to lower, and you are pretty sure you were alone at home before turning out the lights, then you hear that dull 'thunk' as the snake body hits the floor at the end of the bed... not even just a little frisson?!?
    It's all Here. Now.

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Ah, but when you're laying in bed at night, and you see the door knob start to lower, and you are pretty sure you were alone at home before turning out the lights, then you hear that dull 'thunk' as the snake body hits the floor at the end of the bed... not even just a little frisson?!?
    That's true a big snake coming out of a clothes closet would be unusual

Having an insane clown hiding under the bed would be scary
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Titanium junkie
    Snakes are wonderful creatures, have owned many
    most of my life.
    Not in to the Tropical snakes, but love the North American
    varieties.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Snakes are wonderful creatures, have owned many
    most of my life.
    Not in to the Tropical snakes, but love the North American
    varieties.
    Agreed! Rattlesnakes, Cottonmouths, Copperheads, and Coral Snakes all make great pets!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Titanium junkie
    Was waiting for one of you clowns to give me
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Was waiting for one of you clowns to give me
    Ummm, I was being serious... I've had lots of rattlers for pets. They are are a kick to watch as they stalk their prey. My Sidewinder was my favorite. I'm glad you're on board with local herps!
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I'm glad you're on board with local herps!
    I know that's the proper name for snakes, but I still can't stop thinking that you're saying herpes instead of herps.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

High Desert MTBer
    Since I don't seem to be able to open up any other forum but this one, I am going to put these pictures from my ride this morning here... Here's another reason to take extra care out there, especially when sitting on rocks! This was at the 50 Year Trail near Tucson...

This guy was about 3 to 4' long, young, docile, no hint of getting rattley at me when I came upon him, but he did want to get under this rock...

Be afraid! Be very afraid...-rattler-2.jpg

Here you can see his head pointing out from underneath at the bottom of the rock in the picture, pretty unconcerned at me, just encouraging me to be on my way...

Be afraid! Be very afraid...-rattler-1.jpg

Then about 90 mins later I came back that way, and stopped to check. It's a little hard to see, but here's his rattle to the right under the rock, and you can just see his head to the left behind the grass. I did think of moving the grass out of the way to get a better shot, but that would have been really dumb

Be afraid! Be very afraid...-rattler-3.jpg

Not long after, I came upon Daddy Gila, about 14" long:

Be afraid! Be very afraid...-gila-2.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

King of Middle Earth

Hawg's Reptile Rescue Emergency Call!

rockerc, you're my reptile hero! I gotta see a wild Gila Monster before I die! Nice Western Diamondback rattler, too.

Here's my encounter of the day. Hawg's Reptile Rescue got an emergency call today at approximately 11;30am Pacific Time for a "baby snake" in the backyard. I zoomed over there and discovered a gorgeous 14" Southern Pacific Rattlesnake relaxing next to an Oak tree trunk. In a quick scoop, I moved the subject into a bucket and firmly affixed a lid to it. I then let the contact know that this snake was a rattlesnake and I thanked them for not killing it. I assured them that it would be released in a safe area away from the community. At approximately 12:30pm Pacific Time today, the snake was released unharmed into the wilds again to roam freely and live a productive life. This picture was taken immediately after it's release. Hawg out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Be afraid! Be very afraid...-dscn2807.jpg  

fee-fy-fo-fum...

duh
    ^^ You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hawg again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    rockerc, you're my reptile hero! I gotta see a wild Gila Monster before I die! Nice Western Diamondback rattler, too.

Here's my encounter of the day. Hawg's Reptile Rescue got an emergency call today at approximately 11;30am Pacific Time for a "baby snake" in the backyard. I zoomed over there and discovered a gorgeous 14" Southern Pacific Rattlesnake relaxing next to an Oak tree trunk. In a quick scoop, I moved the subject into a bucket and firmly affixed a lid to it. I then let the contact know that this snake was a rattlesnake and I thanked them for not killing it. I assured them that it would be released in a safe area away from the community. At approximately 12:30pm Pacific Time today, the snake was released unharmed into the wilds again to roam freely and live a productive life. This picture was taken immediately after it's release. Hawg out...
    And you are my Herphero du jour Hawg! Nice lookin' guy! (the snake...)
    It's all Here. Now.

rubber side down
    Nice save Hawg! I used to be really afraid of snakes, so I got a California King snake....super mean so it didn't help my phobia. So as long as a snake is not venomous, I'll pick it up. Took me catching a few to be more comfortable grabbing a wild angry snake...plus as an added bonus, my kids think it's super cool and are not too afraid of snakes... [/uninterestingstory]
    TAOS on pinkbike

High Desert MTBer
    I once shared a bed with Nails, one of Alice Cooper's performers... that's another story...
    It's all Here. Now.

Front Range, Colorado
    I also love snakes. And as a kid brought many home. One story that has been told over and over in my family over the years. I was about 12 years old and had a little plasic play pool about 10' in diameter. I filled it with fish,frogs,turtles and salamanders. Hmm one thing missing, snakes. So I got my best friend and 4 gunny sacks, two each.

We hiked to the Erie Canal a mile or so from our house in upstate N.Y. We walked the the edge for several hours and caught about 40 snakes. Several different kinds. Eastern Milk Snake, Garter, Black water snakes. All non venemous but some up to 4-5' long. Well 40 snakes are a lot of snakes. We came home with all 4 gunny sacks full. Being young stupid males we released them in to the plastic pool with all the other critters. It was utter
    kaos as they slithered around with some eating various other critters. But most slithered up and over the side and escaped. We rushed around the yard catching as many as we could. Many escaped for good into the neighborhood.

My mother freaked out as she came across snakes for several years after that incident. Apparently they multiplied because there was never a snake seen prior to that. Trust me "Good Times" were had by all. Like I said that story was one of my moms favorite storys to tell up until her passing a year a go.

I also had a pet Rattlesnake later on in my young twentys. I lived with two other dudes. And I had
    him in a ten gallon aquarium. Placed on an end
    table at the end of the couch. Being young guys we
    had numerous house party's. He was the hit of
    every party. Most wouldn't notice him in there due
    to his camo colors. He would blend right in. Until
    they tapped on the glass. He would coil up and
    rattle then strike the glass. Holy crap he scared a
    lot of people. The glass was covered in venom.
    One of the big to do's was when we would feed
    him a live mouse. Many people came over to
    watch. Is everybody here, drop the mouse in. The
    mouse would cruise around and the snake would
    ignore him. And about 5 minutes average all of a
    sudden the snake would zone in. One strike and
    the mouse would stiffen up in about 20 seconds.
    The snake would hang back for a few minutes and
    make sure the mouse was dead. He would then swallow him whole always head first. Quite an enjoyable event to watch.... NOT.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-22-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

High Desert MTBer
    You just reminded me of when I lived in Chelsea in London in the early 70s, in a very upmarket 'squat'. The house had a resident who was into all kinds of reptiles, and kept several in various vivariums. For a time he had a small Caiman, only a youngster, and it would occasionally wander thru the house, and especially liked to come and hang out in the front room in the (unused) fireplace where we had the stereo system. One evening we were sitting in there listening to some record, and a friend had come round to hang out. At the time, good stuff was being smoked, and our friend was sitting on the couch, enjoying the sounds, and nodding along with a big smile. He saw the Caiman in the fireplace, motionless, and after studying it for a while he looked up and commented at how lifelike our stuffed croc looked. As the words came out of his mouth, the little fella jumped up and ran like f**k towards the door, which happened to lie just beyond the couch where our soon-to-be-ex friend was sitting.

He almost crapped himself, and jumped out of the couch like in a jet fighter ejector seat! Funniest thing I saw in a long time! Thought all the demons of hell were coming for him... He did not come round again for a long time...
    It's all Here. Now.