Thread: Action Cameras

duh

Action Cameras

Just wondering if any one uses the sony action camera and if it is any good? Was looking for one but want one that is low profile the Hero looks funny attached to the top of my helmets. Also I am afraid of it snapping of when I go skiing in the glades.

I know the sony comes with a bike mount and goggle mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no.

sympathy for society
    I do not but just got word that we may be carrying them in the shop soon. I checked them out and they look alright. With contour out there is a place for the lower cost "action camera". I am sure it will work just fine for your needs. It hard to beat GoPro, but the price is a killer for some. Also, being a member of the "boxy camera" club is fun. IF you can swing the $$$ I'd just go with the GoPro. Stay away from the Hero3 completely. The 3+ is getting good reviews but the best in my opinion is the Hero2 for the average consumer. You can find those fairly cheap now.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    I do not but just got word that we may be carrying them in the shop soon. I checked them out and they look alright. With contour out there is a place for the lower cost "action camera". I am sure it will work just fine for your needs. It hard to beat GoPro, but the price is a killer for some. Also, being a member of the "boxy camera" club is fun. IF you can swing the $$$ I'd just go with the GoPro. Stay away from the Hero3 completely. The 3+ is getting good reviews but the best in my opinion is the Hero2 for the average consumer. You can find those fairly cheap now.
    I looked at that but when I ski through the glades I am afraid of a branch snapping off the camera. I was looking for some thing that attached to the side of the helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

sympathy for society
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    I looked at that but when I ski through the glades I am afraid of a branch snapping off the camera. I was looking for some thing that attached to the side of the helmet.
    I understand completely. I always like that Contour was side mounted and sleek, as is the Sony. You can mount the GoPro almost anywhere, but I agree it sticks out a bit too much. As for the durability of the GoPro, it's pretty solid. I hit branches on the bike and rocks while upside down in the kayak. I have only broke it off once and that was class 4 whitewater carnage, the base mount broke. Scratches on the housing lens is what kills me. I am on my 3rd housing this year. The key to any camera is to tether it to your helmet using thin cording. If it does break off the mount at least it's still dangling on your helmet.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

I eat cats
    I have a GP Hero2 and love it. I just need to get a bike mount as the helmet shots don't do the trails any justice. I bought mine for a trip to Costa Rica to use for the surfing, zip-lining, cliff/waterfall jumping etc. shenanigans and have used it for all kinds of vacation videos and pics. So I guess for a do-it-all type mini cam it's perfect but other cams may be better for helmet/bike mounting.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.