Ride More, Work Less

30 Years Ago Today

The Challenger crash was something very close to my family. My grandfather worked in the control tower, so early experiences growing up was tied to the space program. We had tickets to see the final launch, but our tickets where exchanged for the the prior launch. As such, we saw the last successful flight of Challenger without knowing it at the time. My aunt, who also was at the launch, struggled with the event and developed extensive scrapbooks and keepsakes to cope with the event. I remember the sense of disbelief of the event when we learned of the crash at elementary school.

That's sort of old news. I learned something new today with an NPR article. One of the scientists foresaw that the o-ring could fail. He tried to intervene but was silenced. He's had to live with that. All I can say is that must have been many sleepless nights for him.

30 Years After Explosion, Challenger Engineer Still Blames Himself : The Two-Way : NPR

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I was not in elementary school. I was 24 years old and was working a construction job. Sent home early that morning because of snowy conditions. My boss was all jazzed up to get home and watch this flight. So because of him I turned it on and watched it live take off and explode. One of the worst gut wrenching experiences I've ever had. That as well as watching 9/11 live unfold on television.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    I was at work, on the phone with my fiance' telling her that I had just accepted a management position that I had been offered. She said, "Hold on, something just happened to the Space Shuttle."

The rest of the day was spent glued to a TV trying to get as much information about it as possible.
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

One ring to mash them all
    I was in an advanced electronics class in college. The prof came in and, with no obvious change from his usual boring demeanor, announced the the Challenger had exploded on launch and no one survived. The he immediately started his lecture.

I went home and watched it over and over on TV. I couldn't cry anymore after about 8 hours.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
    -- Robert A. Heinlein

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    The Challenger crash was something very close to my family. My grandfather worked in the control tower, so early experiences growing up was tied to the space program. We had tickets to see the final launch, but our tickets where exchanged for the the prior launch. As such, we saw the last successful flight of Challenger without knowing it at the time. My aunt, who also was at the launch, struggled with the event and developed extensive scrapbooks and keepsakes to cope with the event. I remember the sense of disbelief of the event when we learned of the crash at elementary school.

That's sort of old news. I learned something new today with an NPR article. One of the scientists foresaw that the o-ring could fail. He tried to intervene but was silenced. He's had to live with that. All I can say is that must have been many sleepless nights for him.

30 Years After Explosion, Challenger Engineer Still Blames Himself : The Two-Way : NPR
    Wow. Sad. That guy tortured himself for 30 years.

mtbr member
    I was in junior high school on a school sponsered ski trip to Mammoth and on the way there I remember our teachers after a break stop getting back on the bus crying. She told us the first teacher to go to space..... wasn't going to make it

2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Ride More, Work Less
    ^ I forgot how warm and welcoming Reagan was. Those were inspirational words.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ +1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, that's a really nice speech by Reagan.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    ^ I forgot how warm and welcoming Reagan was. Those were inspirational words.
    Yes trulely a heart felt speech. He's always been one of my favorite presidents.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Nice post Hey'Yall. What a horrible tragedy indeed.
    Puff Tijuana Smalls
    Shake hands with Beef...