Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Stranger to danger....

Is a 29er OK For a Dwarf (little person) Please Help Rex....

Do you guys think a 29er is ok for my neighbour who is a 'little person' Dwarf.
    Im asking because he seems to be very keen on buying one, but he is about 36 inches high.
    He is the nicest guy you would ever meet and a dear friend of mine, But he really has his heart set on buying a 29er.
    I tend to think it might be a bit to tall for him, but im trying to let him down gently and tell him he could be better suited to a 26er..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers.....

Post edited 5 days after OP.

P.S this thread originally spent 4 days in the 29er forum where a lot of valuable posts where made, it was then for some reason that im not sure why, was removed and spent a day in the mtbr abyss but now its back to help my friend rex buy a 29er which is now seriously happening..

Thankyou to all the kind posters from the 29er forum, you guys really helped a little guy with a big heart out with some excellent advise.

cheers and thanks now lets get back to rex and his ambition.....
    Last edited by Tone's; 02-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

And please refrain from any jokes or anything like that in this thread, cheers

I got nothin'
    I think he would be better served by getting a custom bike at his height, regardless of wheel size. A few years ago they had that show about the little people on Discovery and the teenage boy had a custom build FS bike made by local builder. The bike turned out great and he was hucking it and having a blast. Might suggest that route for your friend if he can afford it.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    I think the main problem would be his feet not reaching pedals no matter how low saddle is regardless of wheel size. That said, I think a dirt jumper would be a better fit for him - if he can reach handlebars while pedalling, that would save him a lot of money since he can ride a stock bike rather than a custom bike.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am not sure of a stock 29er that would fit. Trek makes a bike called the Cali. It is a womens 29er, but the Cali SL comes in a cool mat black but the smallest size is a 14" that is probably too big. Scott makes a good option and so does GT.
    Here is the Scott:
    SCOTT Scale RC JR Bike - SCOTT Sports

and the GT:
    Zaskar 24 - Boys - Kids - Bikes - 2013

and the Trek:
    Trek Bicycle

All 3 are solid performers, but the Scott and GT would probably be a much better fit.

Rogue Exterminator
    If serious, I am pretty sure I would go the custom route especially if wanting a 29er.
    I don't know of any bikes that have a stand over height lower than the center of the wheel and I am guessing a 3' dwarf doesn't have much if any over the center point of a 29" wheel.

meatier showers
    Name:  5192221149_9558ae40b1_z.jpg
Views: 5767
Size:  53.0 KB
    36"?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Name:  5192221149_9558ae40b1_z.jpg
Views: 5767
Size:  53.0 KB
    36"?
    If not serious, this would probably be one of the worst threads ever...

If serious, then I'd think custom is the only way to go. My son's mtb with 20" wheels is just about comfortable for him and he's 44" tall. His BMX is a 16" Cult and fits him like a glove for that type of riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pretty sure the bars are going to be taller than he is. Have him test ride one just so he can see the many reasons this won't work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm 5'4" rider with 13 inch frame 29er bike. I would say that anyone who below 5 feets might be too big bike.
    Also need to be concern about how far the bar from seat.
    I would suggest you and your friend to go to two or three bike shops and test all mt. Bikes, whatever is 29er,26,24 inches bike.
    My little son is 8 years old and he is 51 inch now and riding full suspension 20inchs bike.
    Another factor about bigger bikes for small person is they tend to be more bulky. My son is not ready for his brother's 24 inch bike due to weight of the bike, and bulky for him.

Cow Clicker
    Is a 29er OK For a Dwarf  (little person) Please Help..-troll-troll-face-l.png
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sure

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    If serious, I am pretty sure I would go the custom route especially if wanting a 29er.
    I don't know of any bikes that have a stand over height lower than the center of the wheel and I am guessing a 3' dwarf doesn't have much if any over the center point of a 29" wheel.
    This is the key to this thread...In order to get a seatpost down to the 20" height range, the entire frame would almost have an upside down look to it. I don't think you can get anywhere close with a stock bike, since even a 13" frame 29er (smallest I know of) is almost all your reach just in the seat tube length, not even considering ground clearance. Also, it is worth considering the weight of the bike. I'm not sure of the weight of your friend, but I would guess he would have a hard time with the weight of a 29er, especially without the help of stabilizing himself on the ground.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    If not serious, this would probably be one of the worst threads ever...
    Agreed and I meant no disrespect. It's just that 36" (3 feet) tall seems impossibly short to fit on a 29er, maybe even too short to fit on a 26er.
    I don't know anything about dwarfism so I did a little research. Here's what I read on the Little People Of America site (lpaonline.org):

Q: What is the definition of dwarfism?

A: Little People of America (LPA) defines dwarfism as a medical or genetic condition that usually results in an adult height of 4'10" or shorter, among both men and women, although in some cases a person with a dwarfing condition may be slightly taller than that. The average height of an adult with dwarfism is 4’0, but typical heights range from 2’8 to 4’8.

4'10" is 58". OP references his 36" neighbor. "Typical heights" range from 32" so I guess 36" is not unheard of. In any case I just can't imagine anyone that height riding a 29er.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Rogue Exterminator
    Knowing Tone, I am guessing it is a joke.

That being said, maybe if he can ride wearing these.
    Name:  DM_SkywalkerStilts.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  25.8 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Guessing he's taking a jab at this thread ---> Short guy on a 29er?
    Meh, I fail to see the humor in this

Rogue Exterminator
    Probably but just in case he isn't I think his buddy should go all out.

A 36" dude needs 39" wheels.

39-inch.jpg

mtbr member
    My spidey sense is tingling.

Thanks guys for your very thoughtful replies, i spoke to him this morning and he seems very interested in the santa cruz carbon tallboy, im not sure if i can talk him down, he seems to think that if he wears platform style shoes to bring his overall height to 40'' that he will be ok.
    He is hell bent on getting a 40mm stem and pushing the seat all the way forward, i tend to think that a BMX would be a smarter option, but he really wants to ride some technical AM trails and a BMX would not be very good for this.
    He does only have very little arms and legs and im worried he will not be able to reach the bars and pedals, further more he wants to buy the bike 'unseen', ive told him to get a proper fit, but he says he will be ok, cheers

Ride More, Work Less
    Tone's what in the world is going on here? You know you can't fit or find a bike on the internet.

If by some miracle you are serious, take a look at bikes like these:
    Fuji Bikes | KIDS | MOUNTAIN | DYNAMITE 20 - B

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    With all due respect, I'd say a 29er would be the worst possible course of action for him, period. It would be like a 6 foot tall person riding a bike with 60 inch (5 foot) wheels. Not too long ago, I saw a little person riding a 24 inch bike, and he seemed to do ok with it. I didn't confirm how tall he was, but maybe 4 foot tall or shorter. However, it seems like 24 inch wheels might even be too big for someone who is 36 inches tall, as the wheel would be two thirds as tall as him.

Sounds like he has some money to spend. Assuming he is able to successfully ride a 24 inch bike on a test ride, why not steer him toward a super sweet 24 inch mountain bike like this 24 inch Kona Stinky:

KONA STINKY 24 INCH

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If he wants to purchase unseen, go for it, but I would suggest at least going to Walmart and seeing if it is even possible to get up on one of their cheap 29ers. To be honest, I don't think it's possible, at all. Also, why pick a bike where I don't even think they make a Small size frame? I also question whether this is a real situation, but I'm assuming it is because it would otherwise be a complete failure at humor...

HTFU!
    Hmm.
    Short guy on 29er
    New rider wanting to ride technical trails
    New rider with mind set on certain bike (not sampling different bikes)
    Buying a bike on the internet
    Not wanting to get 'fit'
    Definitely touching on several threads.
    Nice work, I applaud you.

Name:  Applause.gif
Views: 21384
Size:  273.6 KB

(really, a "Tallboy", that was a good one)
    I no longer deserve a signature.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Tone's, I'm going to allow you a mulligan. You can pick this one up and walk away, and I'll pretend it never happened out of respect for some of your other fine posts.

Rogue Exterminator
    Tone, maybe your friend knows what he is doing.
    Don't sell him short.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Thanks guys for your very thoughtful replies, i spoke to him this morning and he seems very interested in the santa cruz carbon tallboy, im not sure if i can talk him down, he seems to think that if he wears platform style shoes to bring his overall height to 40'' that he will be ok.
    He is hell bent on getting a 40mm stem and pushing the seat all the way forward, i tend to think that a BMX would be a smarter option, but he really wants to ride some technical AM trails and a BMX would not be very good for this.
    He does only have very little arms and legs and im worried he will not be able to reach the bars and pedals, further more he wants to buy the bike 'unseen', ive told him to get a proper fit, but he says he will be ok, cheers
    although i am sure he can be fitted to a nice 29er, my concern is tire change. can you measure his arms reach - it has to be at least 32" which may be a bit optimistic given that his height is 36".

if he measures at least 32" reach - i say go for the tallboy.

please let us know how it goes.
    Signature

[QUOTE=kahneyjd;10124164]I am not sure of a stock 29er that would fit. Trek makes a bike called the Cali. It is a womens 29er, but the Cali SL comes in a cool mat black but the smallest size is a 14" that is probably too big. Scott makes a good option and so does GT.
    Here is the Scott:
    SCOTT Scale RC JR Bike - SCOTT Sports

Thanks for the links mate, but im pretty sure he doesnt want a kids or chicks bike, he is now talking of putting on cruizer style bars on the tallboy he is going to order, you know the ones that bend around and face the rider so he can reach the bar, because he basically has very short arms and short legs too as you could imagine only being 36' high, but taking into account, he will be 40' high with platform shoes on he tells me..
    Cheers and thanks for the help..

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah I'm going go with def not, and with platform shoes? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

On wuss patrol

(I looked for a Roo fishing but none to be found)
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member

Re: Is a 29er OK For a Dwarf (little person) Please Help..

Tell him 29rs are all played out, the industry has moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post

(I looked for a Roo fishing but none to be found)
    Are you sure that bear is fishing Malibu? looks like he could be doing something else to me..

And on a serious note, i stated in my OP to please refrain from any joking in this thread, its a serious question im asking, im sure you all can understand that, cheers

see me rollin, they hatin
    Tones, the real important question is, we know his height, but how does he measure up inside the pants? That will also play into the decision.
    fap

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Tones, the real important question is, we know his height, but how does he measure up inside the pants? That will also play into the decision.

Nic, please explain a bit more, you know i value your thoughts and contributions, do you really think that how he measures up inside the pants will effect the final choice of bike, ive never really though about it before.
    He has a mate that calls him 'mule' but i was always too afraid to ask what it meant..

yes, because it could affect his center of gravity for one thing, Also, 29ers make riding a bit easier (though, maybe not for a dwarf). if he measures well in the pants, then maybe he needs a bigger challenge. maybe 24 inch wheels (rigid). i was going to suggest even a unicycle but that might bring up circus midget jokes and we dont want that.
    fap

banned
    Sep 2007
    I think this thread is perhaps a measurement of what is inside Tone's pants. Not much believable substance...

Have your friend go to a bike shop and have a proper fitting. I'm thinking a 20" SS stingray might be more his size at 3 feet.

OK you clowns, enough of the shenannigens, please lets get back on topic, cheers

Lord Thunderbottom
    OK you clowns, enough of the shenannigens, please lets get back on topic, cheers
    I think we need pictures of your friend, in riding gear including the platform shoes next to a tape measure to get the best estimate for fitting

Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I think we need pictures of your friend, in riding gear including the platform shoes next to a tape measure to get the best estimate for fitting
    and a picture of your girlfriend too. just in case.
    fap

Lord Thunderbottom
    what if they are the same person?

even better.
    fap

I got nothin'
    He has a mate that calls him 'mule' but i was always too afraid to ask what it meant..
    Uh yea ... time to call ******** on this thread.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

banned
    Sep 2007
    even better.
    Love it! And it may indeed be an "it".... neutral gender.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the perfect 650b candidate.
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Love it! And it may indeed be an "it".... neutral gender.
    ohh, then "big in the pants" could be a portal to another dimension

sock puppet
    Are we into girlfriends now? I am not opposed at all.

Nic do you mind starting with yours?

Tones - what's your friends name? Did I miss it?
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Uh yea ... time to call ******** on this thread.
    I think you got nothin' to back it up.
    Signature

****** to the dirt
    Name:  kangaroo.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  10.9 KB

mew thinks few got caught

pics or it didn't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    ohh, then "big in the pants" could be a portal to another dimension
    I defer to NicoleB28, she, ahem, brought "it" up

squish, squish in da fish
    your friend is mental if he thinks a 29er is a good pick for him. this thread is ridiculous, why would he do all the things you should never do when buying a bike. i think his nickname should be jackass not mule. hes opposed to a chicks bike but willing to wear platform shoes? LOL!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Heck yeah! When I used to go to the circus, I recall seeing lots of dwarves riding 29ers, and larger!

It IS possible!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    People, please do not make fun of people with disabilities, it is not their fault that they are born that way!
    Speaking for myself, which I am deaf from the birth and, It is not my fault for my condition!!! It is ok IF my good friends make fun of me, I make fun of them, however not with other people like in this form.
    Please be diplomatic......

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The best way is you both go to the store and help him to test ALL bikes in the store, start with big ones, and go down until your friend feel comfy with the size.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Are we into girlfriends now? I am not opposed at all.

Nic do you mind starting with yours?

Tones - what's your friends name? Did I miss it?

Oso, his name is Rex but he goes by 'T-Rex' or i call effectionately him 'Tattoo' because he looks like Tattoo from that 80s show fantasy island, and talk a bit like him too, but he is a bloody top bloke, you wouldnt meet a nicer guy if you tried, im going to teach him to ride and hit the local trails with him.

Quote Originally Posted by memi View Post
    People, please do not make fun of people with disabilities, it is not their fault that they are born that way!
    Speaking for myself, which I am deaf from the birth and, It is not my fault for my condition!!! It is ok IF my good friends make fun of me, I make fun of them, however not with other people like in this form.
    Cheers mate, i made it very clear in my OP that this was not the place for jokes, But i dont think anybody is being nasty here, and Rex loves a joke, he embraces being small, and everybody i know embraces him and loves him dearly, but thanks for the concern mate, appreciate it.

meow meow
    i expect a higher level of troll out of you tone's. lucky nicole came in and made this thread funny.

banned
    I LOL'd. A little.

mtbr member
    Tone's, I am going to play along and be serious. I think you need to be the one to break this news to him...

You see, he is a MIDGET. Lots of things in this world are made for people who are NOT little people. He seems to have trouble accepting this fact. 29ers were not made for small people, and they can't be forced to work for them. 26ers were made for average sized people, which he still is not. He really needs to look at bikes made for children, since that is the size and proportion range he is in. Kids can huck the **** outta those things, and many times better than their parents. There is absolutely nothing wrong with smaller bikes. They are meant for small people, and he is a small person. He is going to have to pay more to get it customized for him, but he should be used to that by now being a little person in a big person's world. It is the same story with clydes, being extra big people in a big person's world. It's part of living on the edge... the edge of 'normal'. Just like a clyde won't get very far on a pot metal kid's bike, he won't get very far on a bike meant for someone much larger than him, no matter how much he modifies it. He will hurt himself forcing it and will hate the sport because of it.

Be the 'bigger' person. Tell him to suck it up, go into an LBS and get fitted for a custom 24" or 20". If he refuses to suck it up and accept the reality of his situation, he has far bigger issues than a bike fit.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm sorry, but we are dealing with two mentally deficient people here, regardless of height. It's just simple geometry. A 36" tall person CANNOT ride a 29er bike. He most likely cannot ride the smallest stock 26 inch wheeled bikes either. It doesn't matter what he wants, heck, I'd like to be able to flap my arms and fly but it's not gonna happen no matter how hard I try.

The smallest Tallboy has a seat tube of 17.7 inches. So even before you factor in the length of the crank and the height of the seat, he'd have to have an inseam that was half his height! It won't help to go to a 14 inch frame from a different brand - it still won't work. And don't tell me he's gonna mountain bike in 12 inch platform shoes either.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by memi View Post
    I honestly did not think for a minute that the OP was serious.

And if he is, it blows me away that somebody would think they could ride trails on a bike with wheels that come up to his nose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I'm sorry, but we are dealing with two mentally deficient people here,.
    No, it's actually just one...
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Tone's, I am going to play along and be serious. I think you need to be the one to break this news to him...

You see, he is a MIDGET. Lots of things in this world are made for people who are NOT little people. He seems to have trouble accepting this fact. 29ers were not made for small people, and they can't be forced to work for them. 26ers were made for average sized people, which he still is not. He really needs to look at bikes made for children, since that is the size and proportion range he is in. Kids can huck the **** outta those things, and many times better than their parents. There is absolutely nothing wrong with smaller bikes. They are meant for small people, and he is a small person. He is going to have to pay more to get it customized for him, but he should be used to that by now being a little person in a big person's world. It is the same story with clydes, being extra big people in a big person's world. It's part of living on the edge... the edge of 'normal'. Just like a clyde won't get very far on a pot metal kid's bike, he won't get very far on a bike meant for someone much larger than him, no matter how much he modifies it. He will hurt himself forcing it and will hate the sport because of it.

Be the 'bigger' person. Tell him to suck it up, go into an LBS and get fitted for a custom 24" or 20". If he refuses to suck it up and accept the reality of his situation, he has far bigger issues than a bike fit.
    Maya, I read your post with great interest. I think it was well thought out and fair. You did mention that Rex had bigger issues than the bike fit. Can you please elaborate on what these bigger issues might be?

I really enjoy reading your posts. Good work.
    Signature

HTFU!
    Your friend could do some serious hucking on this bad boy!

Name:  Unicycle_Minibike.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  38.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I'm sorry, but we are dealing with two mentally deficient people here, regardless of height. It's just simple geometry. A 36" tall person CANNOT ride a 29er bike. He most likely cannot ride the smallest stock 26 inch wheeled bikes either. It doesn't matter what he wants, heck, I'd like to be able to flap my arms and fly but it's not gonna happen no matter how hard I try.

The smallest Tallboy has a seat tube of 17.7 inches. So even before you factor in the length of the crank and the height of the seat, he'd have to have an inseam that was half his height! It won't help to go to a 14 inch frame from a different brand - it still won't work. And don't tell me he's gonna mountain bike in 12 inch platform shoes either.

Thanks Thor, your knowledge on 29ers is clearly expert standard, i'll pass this news onto T-Rex, do you maybe think you could write him a personal note here and i'll print it up and give it to him.. Thankyou.

And this goes for everybody here, please pen a personal message to Rexy, and i will print the best ones up and give them to him, i think this is a pretty good idea, and might be the best way to help him.

cheers and thanks

mtbr member
    And this goes for everybody here, please pen a personal message to Rexy,

Sorry, I dont know how to rite... hell, I can barely reed.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

banned
    Jan 2013
    please pen a personal message to Rexy, and i will print the best ones up and give them to him, i think this is a pretty good idea, and might be the best way to help him.

cheers and thanks
    Dear Rex,

Don't give in to the haters in this thread.

You can always go with a 70mm stem, but spin it around reverse so it will be closer to your short arms. Couple this with a narrow set of beach cruiser style bars and you will have no problems reaching them. Set your seat post up with one of the lay back style posts, but again in reverse. Not only will this make gripping your bars easier, but it will put your seat in a position directly over your pedals. Platform shoes may not be sufficient. A poster earlier linked a set of the painter lift boots. This was a very good idea. Having used them to paint in my past i can assure you they are very adjustable and you will get used to them quickly. With a slightly modified set of these you will be able to reach your pedals easily from your saddle.

A final obstacle you will have to overcome is the mounting of your bike. I recommend you set up a stepladder "docking" station. You may have to practice the mount and dismount process many times before you get it down, but hey... we all had to learn clip less pedals right? Same thing basically.

Good luck Rex!!!!! Any one who does not support your desire to ride a 29r is just flat out mean spirited and are the kind of people who will make tasteless jokes about you when your back is turned.

Go get some!!!! show them all who is the "bigger man"!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I understand that your friend embraces his stature, but regardless, I'm sure he wants to fit in with the rest of the riders. Now, IMHO I think he would fit in much better on a properly sized bike (which should be perfectly reasonable on a 24" bike) where he is able to huck the same trails as everyone else. I have ridden with friends who showed up on Walmart bikes and I usually give them a little crap until they ride off and leave me in their dust. The type/size of bike won't matter to anyone if he can rock it. No one is going to say a word about a 24" bike when he can dominate on it. I would be more inclined to ridicule someone if they are unable to handle the size of their bike and constantly having problems, slowing down the group, regardless of how "cool" he looks. I never suggest this to anyone, but in this case I can't say it enough, GO TO WALMART! Just see what size bike feels the most manageable. Every Walmart I've been in these days has all sizes of bikes, even 29ers. Good luck finding a bike and getting out on the trail. I will be following to see the outcome!

EDIT: Honestly, with the amount of investment your talking about making on a Tallboy...just go spend the $100-150 at Walmart and buy a cheap 29er if he can handle it in the store. Take it out on the trail and see if its manageable and enjoyable to ride. If so, buy the dream bike and sell the other on craigslist. Might lose $30 max if it still looks good after the ride.
    Last edited by RollTide29er; 02-01-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Dear Rex,

You can always go with a 70mm stem, but spin it around reverse so it will be closer to your short arms. Couple this with a narrow set of beach cruiser style bars and you will have no problems reaching them. Set your seat post up with one of the lay back style posts, but again in reverse. Not only will this make gripping your bars easier, but it will put your seat in a position directly over your pedals. Platform shoes may not be sufficient. A poster earlier linked a set of the painter lift boots. This was a very good idea. Having used them to paint in my past i can assure you they are very adjustable and you will get used to them quickly. With a slightly modified set of these you will be able to reach your pedals easily from your saddle.

A final obstacle you will have to overcome is the mounting of your bike. I recommend you set up a stepladder "docking" station. You may have to practice the mount and dismount process many times before you get it down, but hey... we all had to learn clip less pedals right? Same thing basically.

Good luck Rex!!!!! Any one who does not support your desire to ride a 29r is just flat out mean spirited and are the kind of people who will make tasteless jokes about you when your back is turned.

Cheers Big ring grinder, im passing this one on to Rexy, thanks for your input mate its really appreciated..

And rolltide29er thanks for your input too, very kind of you, i'll be passing that on to Rexy as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Maya, I read your post with great interest. I think it was well thought out and fair. You did mention that Rex had bigger issues than the bike fit. Can you please elaborate on what these bigger issues might be?

I really enjoy reading your posts. Good work.
    The bigger issues would be refusal to accept the fact he can't do things a regular sized person can, as made clear by the fact he only wants to ride a bike bigger than he is.

Tones mentioned he didn't want a kid's bike or women's bike, and that he was dead set on a 29er. A women's bike would be too big for him too, btw. There is more to a bike fit than reaching the pedals and handlebars. If there is no balance between the wheels, he will be eating dirt all the time, hence the need for a smaller bike to properly distribute and shift his weight. Also, he won't be as strong as a larger rider. A kid's bike will be a fraction of the weight of even the lightest 29er, as well as putting his leverage in the right place. Every pound counts when you you have less leverage from shorter limbs but are still needing to drag around the same amount of body and bike weight.

If he refuses to look at bikes that consider his size, I imagine it is not the first or only thing about his life he is stubbornly refusing to accept. This isn't an issue of people being mean or naysayers. It is like another poster said; just because I flap my arms, put some feathers on, and believe REALLY REALLY hard, doesn't mean I can fly. If I want to fly, I have options... and flapping my arms isn't one that will lead to any success. Rex can ride, and I will back that up without ever even meeting the guy. But he can't do it on a 29er, even while believing REALLY REALLY hard that it will work. It won't. He has options that will lead to rides just as awesome as his friends'. These options just don't include the same bikes as them, but he can still ride the same trails just as aggressively and quickly. The only thing that will hold him back on a smaller bike is him. A larger bike will, without a doubt, hinder him and make his ride not fun. He won't be able to ride aggressively or fast, and he is far more likely to hurt himself on a bike he can't control.

mtbr member

Is a 29er OK For a Dwarf (little person) Please Help..

Dude...has he had a test ride on a 29er? If yes, get it if it worked. Otherwise, don't surprise him with it. I'm a huge fan of the double entendre and general folly of the thread....but if its genuine, test ride that puppy.
    Otherwise....carry on

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    The bigger issues would be refusal to accept the fact he can't do things a regular sized person can, as made clear by the fact he only wants to ride a bike bigger than he is.

Tones mentioned he didn't want a kid's bike or women's bike, and that he was dead set on a 29er. A women's bike would be too big for him too, btw. There is more to a bike fit than reaching the pedals and handlebars. If there is no balance between the wheels, he will be eating dirt all the time, hence the need for a smaller bike to properly distribute and shift his weight. Also, he won't be as strong as a larger rider. A kid's bike will be a fraction of the weight of even the lightest 29er, as well as putting his leverage in the right place. Every pound counts when you you have less leverage from shorter limbs but are still needing to drag around the same amount of body and bike weight.

If he refuses to look at bikes that consider his size, I imagine it is not the first or only thing about his life he is stubbornly refusing to accept. This isn't an issue of people being mean or naysayers. It is like another poster said; just because I flap my arms, put some feathers on, and believe REALLY REALLY hard, doesn't mean I can fly. If I want to fly, I have options... and flapping my arms isn't one that will lead to any success. Rex can ride, and I will back that up without ever even meeting the guy. But he can't do it on a 29er, even while believing REALLY REALLY hard that it will work. It won't. He has options that will lead to rides just as awesome as his friends'. These options just don't include the same bikes as them, but he can still ride the same trails just as aggressively and quickly. The only thing that will hold him back on a smaller bike is him. A larger bike will, without a doubt, hinder him and make his ride not fun. He won't be able to ride aggressively or fast, and he is far more likely to hurt himself on a bike he can't control.
    Loverly Maya, i appreciate your words, but Rex is very determond and has the heart of a lion.
    When he left school he wanted to be an apple picker on his friends farm, when he went to talk to his friends dad about the job, his mates dad said, 'Rex, how can you pick apples when you cant reach the lowest apples?'
    Well rex said just judge me by how many apples i can pic in a day, so he was given a chance and rex was the biggest apple collector on the first day, with the use of a ladder and later stilts, rex broke all the apple picking records on that farm in Dural.
    Some of the other jobs Rex has has since then is a painter, a tree lopper, excavatar driver, a rigger,and a bus driver, if rex says he can do something he always finds a way Maya.
    But yes i am just as concerned as you about the 29er, i hope he is not biting off more than he can chew this time.
    He seems to be set on the tallboy, but is now looking into a giant trance 29er too..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Loverly Maya, i appreciate your words, but Rex is very determond and has the heart of a lion.
    When he left school he wanted to be an apple picker on his friends farm, when he went to talk to his friends dad about the job, his mates dad said, 'Rex, how can you pick apples when you cant reach the lowest apples?'
    Well rex said just judge me by how many apples i can pic in a day, so he was given a chance and rex was the biggest apple collector on the first day, with the use of a ladder and later stilts, rex broke all the apple picking records on that farm in Dural.
    Some of the other jobs Rex has has since then is a painter, a tree lopper, excavatar driver, a rigger,and a bus driver, if rex says he can do something he always finds a way Maya.
    But yes i am just as concerned as you about the 29er, i hope he is not biting off more than he can chew this time.
    He seems to be set on the tallboy, but is now looking into a giant trance 29er too..
    At first I was gonna call bull ****. Then i thought well that might be a little insensitive. Then I got to thinking. Hmm. Tones been on this site for a little more than a year and already has 3500 odd post. Clearly he must not ride much. I mean how could he have time to ride and be such a benefit to the MTBR community. Then it hit me. You should give Trex your bikes and he wouldnt have to carry the financial burden of choosing the wrong bike.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Fat & Single
    Its the standover i'd be worried about.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

meatier showers

Far enough

Thanks Thor, your knowledge on 29ers is clearly expert standard, i'll pass this news onto T-Rex, do you maybe think you could write him a personal note here and i'll print it up and give it to him.. Thankyou.

And this goes for everybody here, please pen a personal message to Rexy, and i will print the best ones up and give them to him, i think this is a pretty good idea, and might be the best way to help him.

cheers and thanks
    This has gone completely out of control. Tone's, you're an utter tool. I hope MTBR kicks this thread to the ReCycle Bin and finds some way to sanction you. Meanwhile I'm certain you've had a great laugh at the expense of people with good intentions.

Outta here.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Cheers Sparticus, thanks for the kind support mate

mtbr member
    Trolling should not be this easy...facepalm

sock puppet
    Dear Rex,

Grinder

Your heartfelt letter challenges the best letters to Santa that I read or wrote.

I observed goose bumps on my skin while reading your letter. How nice of you. Please keep posting.
    Signature

banned
    Jun 2007
    Tone's,
    Hard to return to such an obvious Troll-Fest after a timeout, followed by 2 weeks of warm kayaking in the FL keys.
    Nonetheless, I'll play...

Appears T-Rex has mad skillz that cannot be ignored, and that you, as a good friend should do all possible to enable his
    burning desire to own a Tallboy 29er.
    My solution... Order him the carbon frame in yes - Burnt Orange.
    Totally pimp it out, add a set of Stan's Gold wheels (race), and present it to him at the local pub.
    Once he owns such a beautiful bike his dream to become a big chick magnet will be complete.

Act as his wing-man, as it's sure to lure many, take lots of hits, and catch a few.
    If truly a mule his diminutive size, and the fragile butt-ugly Peach/Salmon bike,
    will not matter to the hoards of local under appreciated large-boned Shelia's.
    Fish on,

live long and huck
    Name:  monkey.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  39.9 KB

Tone's, I feel very mislead by you. You did not tell us that Rex has a tail. This changes everything. Everybody knows that there is a substantial bit of body English (or body Aussie) required to maneuver a mountain bike. Rex is just too darn small to adequately handle a 29er. But, Rex's tail adds balance, which in turn will offset his diminished ability to maneuver a bike. In light of this, I think that Rex actually could be happy on a 29er, and the light weight of the carbon in the TallBoy frame will work in his favor also where Newton's laws on kinetic energy apply to biking. I hope that Rex is aware of what a true friend that you are to him in trying to help him find the best bike for him.

I don't agree with Maya saying that little people have to realize that they can't do everything that full sized people can. I saw video once of Ron Jeremy with a midget that would really argue this point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had no idea Karl Pilkington was from Australia.

29ers Forever
    Seat posts can be cut down in size if they are too long.

RideDirt

On wuss patrol
    Flyin and Optimus: you dudes have skillz -- LMAO!!
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    One question...to prove that this whole thing isn't a sham. As others have suggested, have you taken him to the bike store and had him test ride a 29er to see how badly it would fit him? Have you compared that to 26ers vs 24 or 20 inch? I'd say that if you haven't done that or aren't willing to do that, then that will pretty much prove that this is all made up. If its not all made up, prove it.

" I do not doubt his heart, only the reach of his arm."

~Lord of the Rings

Here, diagonally!
    Seat Tube too long??? Oh well then let's just scrap the whole thing. Let's be realistic here - it's going to have to be a custom frame, so the seat tube can be appropriately sized. The best solution it to get the little fella down between the wheels. So far, so good, but now we have the problem of the front wheel blocking forward vision. I'm thinking skinny tires will help. Oh and dropped bars is a given.

I don't know squat about frame building, but I'm headed out to the garage with a stuffed animal to try to get this figured out.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    This has gone completely out of control. Tone's, you're an utter tool. I hope MTBR kicks this thread to the ReCycle Bin and finds some way to sanction you. Meanwhile I'm certain you've had a great laugh at the expense of people with good intentions.

Outta here.

--sParty
    Actually, I disagree. This has been one of the more enjoyable threads that I've seen on eMpTyBeeR for some time!

mtbr member
    there is not any way he could safely ride this bike.

sock puppet
    Name:  monkey.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  39.9 KB

I saw video once of Ron Jeremy with a midget that would really argue this point.
    i gotta telly - what you saw was NOT a midget...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Seat Tube too long??? Oh well then let's just scrap the whole thing. Let's be realistic here - it's going to have to be a custom frame, so the seat tube can be appropriately sized. The best solution it to get the little fella down between the wheels. So far, so good, but now we have the problem of the front wheel blocking forward vision. I'm thinking skinny tires will help. Oh and dropped bars is a given.

I don't know squat about frame building, but I'm headed out to the garage with a stuffed animal to try to get this figured out.
    stuffed animal?

oh boy, this thread is taking a weird turn at this point...
    Signature

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    At first I was gonna call bull ****. Then i thought well that might be a little insensitive. Then I got to thinking. Hmm. Tones been on this site for a little more than a year and already has 3500 odd post. Clearly he must not ride much. I mean how could he have time to ride and be such a benefit to the MTBR community. Then it hit me. You should give Trex your bikes and he wouldnt have to carry the financial burden of choosing the wrong bike.
    Holy $#!%, no joke, I just did the rough math and he averages ~8 posts a day! Is that some type of record? I have a shiny nickle for anyone who can find someone with a greater posting average than Tone.

Fine Print:
    Shiny nickel will not be delivered. You will need to travel to Auburn and ride with SOB in order to receive said nickel. If you can beat SOB up Stagecoach at end of said ride, the nickel is yours. If not, you will need to answer a riddle in order to become the proud owner of the nickel
    The nickel may or may not be shiny.
    Five pennies may be substituted for the nickel
    Pennies may or may not be shiny
    Please bring some change in case SOB only has a dime or quarter

Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    Holy $#!%, no joke, I just did the rough math and he averages ~8 posts a day! Is that some type of record? I have a shiny nickle for anyone who can find someone with a greater posting average than Tone.

Fine Print:
    Shiny nickel will not be delivered. You will need to travel to Auburn and ride with SOB in order to receive said nickel. If you can beat SOB up Stagecoach at end of said ride, the nickel is yours. If not, you will need to answer a riddle in order to become the proud owner of the nickel
    The nickel may or may not be shiny.
    Five pennies may be substituted for the nickel
    Pennies may or may not be shiny
    Please bring some change in case SOB only has a dime or quarter
    LOL, no im not the biggest poster by a long shot, im just part of the OC community and have plenty of good friends here, we talk alot about nothing, then i get out to the beginners and general and answer a few questions and get involved, 8 times a day is nothing, i could post 20 times in 30 minutes if i was keen, im just a busy bee..

live long and huck
    im just part of the OC community and have plenty of good friends here, we talk alot about nothing,
    Nothing? Nothing?? I share 1000 posts with you, and you say it's nothing??? I feel so betrayed!!

HTFU!
    LOL, no im not the biggest poster by a long shot, im just part of the OC community and have plenty of good friends here, we talk alot about nothing, then i get out to the beginners and general and answer a few questions and get involved, 8 times a day is nothing, i could post 20 times in 30 minutes if i was keen, im just a busy bee..
    So, your saying I might be out a shiny nickel? Dammit! I guess I should have done a bit of research so I would not be out $.05...kinda like your "friend" should do some research before being out $5,000.00.

Now you had better go make amends to your forum friend you just dissed (I suggest an offering of beer).

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Tone's,
    Hard to return to such an obvious Troll-Fest after a timeout, followed by 2 weeks of warm kayaking in the FL keys.
    Nonetheless, I'll play...

Appears T-Rex has mad skillz that cannot be ignored, and that you, as a good friend should do all possible to enable his
    burning desire to own a Tallboy 29er.
    My solution... Order him the carbon frame in yes - Burnt Orange.
    Totally pimp it out, add a set of Stan's Gold wheels (race), and present it to him at the local pub.
    Once he owns such a beautiful bike his dream to become a big chick magnet will be complete.

Act as his wing-man, as it's sure to lure many, take lots of hits, and catch a few.
    If truly a mule his diminutive size, and the fragile butt-ugly Peach/Salmon bike,
    will not matter to the hoards of local under appreciated large-boned Shelia's.
    Fish on,
    Cheers brother, i like your thoughts, im starting to think the same as you, as long as he is happy it doesnt really matter if or how he rides it or even if he can ride it, as long as Rexy's happy im happy..
    Im pretty sure that i cant talk him out of it, looks like its the Giant or the Tall boy for rex, but im pretty sure his heart is set on the tall boy.

Does anybody have any ideas what size Tallboy?

live long and huck
    [QUOTE=Tone's;10130442 Does anybody have any ideas what size Tallboy? [/QUOTE]

A small Tallboy just doesn't have a badass mountain biker ring to it. Get him a large. Large Tallboy, yeah, that sounds badass!!

A small Tallboy just doesn't have a badass mountain biker ring to it. Get him a large. Large Tallboy, yeah, that sounds badass!!
    Opti, Rex is all about badass, im actually pretty sure he not want the small model although it will probably be the better size for him, im in a real dillema because if i suggest the small its gonna make him feel small and he can be a bit sensitive about his size when it comes to what he is capable with, does any body think he could fit on a medium or large? XL is probably out of the question.

banned
    Jan 2013
    does body think he could fit on a medium or large? XL is probably out of the question.
    Dear Mr Tone's,

Please review my previous post. I gave a detailed plan to overcome the challenges Rex will face riding a 29r. I am sure if people would stop trying to crush the ambitions of perhaps the biggest heart i have personally heard of and give CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions we can help Rex accomplish his dream in a realistic fashion.

I strongly believe even an XL frame would work with a reversed stem (may have to bump it up to 120mm) reversed lay back seat post and painter stilts.

He will still have issues with mounting. Assuming he practices the docking method i outlined he will become adept at getting going on his own eventually. The biggest problem would occur if he was to crash or need to stop mid ride. Thus far you have been a fine champion for his cause in the gathering of information. I can only assume you will also help Rex with his riding. Rex IS going to need dedicated riding partners to assist him. Not with riding, i am sure he will manage that part, but he may need help getting back onto his bike mid ride if he has a forced dismount.

As long as he has a dedicated group of friends to help him, and does not try to go it alone until he has COMPLETE confidence in his ability to get on and off his tallboy XL he will do just fine.

Dear Mr Tone's,

Please review my previous post. I gave a detailed plan to overcome the challenges Rex will face riding a 29r. I am sure if people would stop trying to crush the ambitions of perhaps the biggest heart i have personally heard of and give CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions we can help Rex accomplish his dream in a realistic fashion.

I strongly believe even an XL frame would work with a reversed stem (may have to bump it up to 120mm) reversed lay back seat post and painter stilts.

He will still have issues with mounting. Assuming he practices the docking method i outlined he will become adept at getting going on his own eventually. The biggest problem would occur if he was to crash or need to stop mid ride. Thus far you have been a fine champion for his cause in the gathering of information. I can only assume you will also help Rex with his riding. Rex IS going to need dedicated riding partners to assist him. Not with riding, i am sure he will manage that part, but he may need help getting back onto his bike mid ride if he has a forced dismount.

As long as he has a dedicated group of friends to help him, and does not try to go it alone until he has COMPLETE confidence in his ability to get on and off his tallboy XL he will do just fine.
    Thanks big ring, its blokes like you that make this place really worth it mate.
    Im going to be riding shotgun with Rex, i'll be putting him back on the bike if he comes off in the technical stuff.
    I just spoke to him and he told me he is having a special light weight set of steps built that will fit in his backpack, im not sure if this is posable but he seems to think it is.
    Theres no way he is buying a small model he said, he recons theres no dif between a small and a large so he wants the large, he might be small in stature but he has a huge heart, im not man enough to tell him that small is the right size for him and he wouldnt listen anyway.
    He is already looking at upgrades to make it a bit more ridable for him and thinks a thomson layback post in reverse will work for him along with cruizer bars that swoop back and face him.
    He is looking for the thickest pedals he can buy along with platform style shoes, he seems to have it all worked out, im actually starting to think it will work.
    Thanks for your constructive thoughts mate, its great to see you can understand how big the guys heart is and how important this is to him, cheers mate

live long and huck
    One thing that nobody has mentioned yet, and I think that it is a crucial item. Crank length. No, not Rex's, Nicole already touched on that. The bike cranks. For Rex to be able to pedal in an efficient manner, and not induce excessive weight displacement pedal bob, he will need shorter cranks. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-80mm. This combined with BRG's cockpit modifications should work out wonderfully. Also, Hope is making a braking system where both front and rear work off a common fluid reservoir. He's going to need these also, as his bars won't be wide enough to accommodate two fully independent brake levers and allow proper hose routing.

banned
    Maybe Bianchi's got the answer.

banned
    Jan 2013
    One thing that nobody has mentioned yet, and I think that it is a crucial item. Crank length. No, not Rex's, Nicole already touched on that. The bike cranks. For Rex to be able to pedal in an efficient manner, and not induce excessive weight displacement pedal bob, he will need shorter cranks. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-80mm. This combined with BRG's cockpit modifications should work out wonderfully. Also, Hope is making a braking system where both front and rear work off a common fluid reservoir. He's going to need these also, as his bars won't be wide enough to accommodate two fully independent brake levers and allow proper hose routing.
    See, now THIS is what this thread needed. CONSTRUCTIVE ideas. I had not thought of the crank and braking issues, those modifications would do the trick nicely.

Tone's.... i assume money is not an issue? Some of these after market modifications may get a bit spendy. Rex's idea of the light weight portable step ladder is perfect! I am embarrassed i did not think it out enough to see that solution right away. Rex DID! proof that the man dosent really need our help much at all. Huge props to Rex the lionhearted!

Shame on anyone hating and not helping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2