Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    No Stranger to danger....

Is a 29er OK For a Dwarf (little person) Please Help Rex....

Do you guys think a 29er is ok for my neighbour who is a 'little person' Dwarf.
    Im asking because he seems to be very keen on buying one, but he is about 36 inches high.
    He is the nicest guy you would ever meet and a dear friend of mine, But he really has his heart set on buying a 29er.
    I tend to think it might be a bit to tall for him, but im trying to let him down gently and tell him he could be better suited to a 26er..

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers.....

Post edited 5 days after OP.

P.S this thread originally spent 4 days in the 29er forum where a lot of valuable posts where made, it was then for some reason that im not sure why, was removed and spent a day in the mtbr abyss but now its back to help my friend rex buy a 29er which is now seriously happening..

Thankyou to all the kind posters from the 29er forum, you guys really helped a little guy with a big heart out with some excellent advise.

cheers and thanks now lets get back to rex and his ambition.....
    Last edited by Tone's; 02-06-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

And please refrain from any jokes or anything like that in this thread, cheers

I got nothin'
    I think he would be better served by getting a custom bike at his height, regardless of wheel size. A few years ago they had that show about the little people on Discovery and the teenage boy had a custom build FS bike made by local builder. The bike turned out great and he was hucking it and having a blast. Might suggest that route for your friend if he can afford it.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    I think the main problem would be his feet not reaching pedals no matter how low saddle is regardless of wheel size. That said, I think a dirt jumper would be a better fit for him - if he can reach handlebars while pedalling, that would save him a lot of money since he can ride a stock bike rather than a custom bike.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am not sure of a stock 29er that would fit. Trek makes a bike called the Cali. It is a womens 29er, but the Cali SL comes in a cool mat black but the smallest size is a 14" that is probably too big. Scott makes a good option and so does GT.
    Here is the Scott:
    SCOTT Scale RC JR Bike - SCOTT Sports

and the GT:
    Zaskar 24 - Boys - Kids - Bikes - 2013

and the Trek:
    Trek Bicycle

All 3 are solid performers, but the Scott and GT would probably be a much better fit.

Rogue Exterminator
    If serious, I am pretty sure I would go the custom route especially if wanting a 29er.
    I don't know of any bikes that have a stand over height lower than the center of the wheel and I am guessing a 3' dwarf doesn't have much if any over the center point of a 29" wheel.

meatier showers
    Name:  5192221149_9558ae40b1_z.jpg
Views: 4646
Size:  53.0 KB
    36"?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Name:  5192221149_9558ae40b1_z.jpg
Views: 4646
Size:  53.0 KB
    36"?
    If not serious, this would probably be one of the worst threads ever...

If serious, then I'd think custom is the only way to go. My son's mtb with 20" wheels is just about comfortable for him and he's 44" tall. His BMX is a 16" Cult and fits him like a glove for that type of riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pretty sure the bars are going to be taller than he is. Have him test ride one just so he can see the many reasons this won't work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm 5'4" rider with 13 inch frame 29er bike. I would say that anyone who below 5 feets might be too big bike.
    Also need to be concern about how far the bar from seat.
    I would suggest you and your friend to go to two or three bike shops and test all mt. Bikes, whatever is 29er,26,24 inches bike.
    My little son is 8 years old and he is 51 inch now and riding full suspension 20inchs bike.
    Another factor about bigger bikes for small person is they tend to be more bulky. My son is not ready for his brother's 24 inch bike due to weight of the bike, and bulky for him.

Cow Clicker
    Is a 29er OK For a Dwarf  (little person) Please Help..-troll-troll-face-l.png
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sure

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    If serious, I am pretty sure I would go the custom route especially if wanting a 29er.
    I don't know of any bikes that have a stand over height lower than the center of the wheel and I am guessing a 3' dwarf doesn't have much if any over the center point of a 29" wheel.
    This is the key to this thread...In order to get a seatpost down to the 20" height range, the entire frame would almost have an upside down look to it. I don't think you can get anywhere close with a stock bike, since even a 13" frame 29er (smallest I know of) is almost all your reach just in the seat tube length, not even considering ground clearance. Also, it is worth considering the weight of the bike. I'm not sure of the weight of your friend, but I would guess he would have a hard time with the weight of a 29er, especially without the help of stabilizing himself on the ground.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    If not serious, this would probably be one of the worst threads ever...
    Agreed and I meant no disrespect. It's just that 36" (3 feet) tall seems impossibly short to fit on a 29er, maybe even too short to fit on a 26er.
    I don't know anything about dwarfism so I did a little research. Here's what I read on the Little People Of America site (lpaonline.org):

Q: What is the definition of dwarfism?

A: Little People of America (LPA) defines dwarfism as a medical or genetic condition that usually results in an adult height of 4'10" or shorter, among both men and women, although in some cases a person with a dwarfing condition may be slightly taller than that. The average height of an adult with dwarfism is 40, but typical heights range from 28 to 48.

4'10" is 58". OP references his 36" neighbor. "Typical heights" range from 32" so I guess 36" is not unheard of. In any case I just can't imagine anyone that height riding a 29er.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Rogue Exterminator
    Knowing Tone, I am guessing it is a joke.

That being said, maybe if he can ride wearing these.
    Name:  DM_SkywalkerStilts.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  25.8 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Guessing he's taking a jab at this thread ---> Short guy on a 29er?
    Meh, I fail to see the humor in this

Rogue Exterminator
    Probably but just in case he isn't I think his buddy should go all out.

A 36" dude needs 39" wheels.

39-inch.jpg

mtbr member
    My spidey sense is tingling.

Thanks guys for your very thoughtful replies, i spoke to him this morning and he seems very interested in the santa cruz carbon tallboy, im not sure if i can talk him down, he seems to think that if he wears platform style shoes to bring his overall height to 40'' that he will be ok.
    He is hell bent on getting a 40mm stem and pushing the seat all the way forward, i tend to think that a BMX would be a smarter option, but he really wants to ride some technical AM trails and a BMX would not be very good for this.
    He does only have very little arms and legs and im worried he will not be able to reach the bars and pedals, further more he wants to buy the bike 'unseen', ive told him to get a proper fit, but he says he will be ok, cheers

Ride More, Whine Less
    Tone's what in the world is going on here? You know you can't fit or find a bike on the internet.

If by some miracle you are serious, take a look at bikes like these:
    Fuji Bikes | KIDS | MOUNTAIN | DYNAMITE 20 - B

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    With all due respect, I'd say a 29er would be the worst possible course of action for him, period. It would be like a 6 foot tall person riding a bike with 60 inch (5 foot) wheels. Not too long ago, I saw a little person riding a 24 inch bike, and he seemed to do ok with it. I didn't confirm how tall he was, but maybe 4 foot tall or shorter. However, it seems like 24 inch wheels might even be too big for someone who is 36 inches tall, as the wheel would be two thirds as tall as him.

Sounds like he has some money to spend. Assuming he is able to successfully ride a 24 inch bike on a test ride, why not steer him toward a super sweet 24 inch mountain bike like this 24 inch Kona Stinky:

KONA STINKY 24 INCH

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If he wants to purchase unseen, go for it, but I would suggest at least going to Walmart and seeing if it is even possible to get up on one of their cheap 29ers. To be honest, I don't think it's possible, at all. Also, why pick a bike where I don't even think they make a Small size frame? I also question whether this is a real situation, but I'm assuming it is because it would otherwise be a complete failure at humor...

HTFU!
    Hmm.
    Short guy on 29er
    New rider wanting to ride technical trails
    New rider with mind set on certain bike (not sampling different bikes)
    Buying a bike on the internet
    Not wanting to get 'fit'
    Definitely touching on several threads.
    Nice work, I applaud you.

Name:  Applause.gif
Views: 17635
Size:  273.6 KB

(really, a "Tallboy", that was a good one)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Tone's, I'm going to allow you a mulligan. You can pick this one up and walk away, and I'll pretend it never happened out of respect for some of your other fine posts.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Rogue Exterminator
    Tone, maybe your friend knows what he is doing.
    Don't sell him short.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast