Huckin' trails

1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow

Just finished after about 25 hours of work, cleaning, machining, scrubbing, polishing, tinkering and all sorts of finger cramps to restore my almost three decades old bow.

Quick story, I started archery class in college 3 years ago, loved it and then looked into a used bow. Found this guy selling a old decent compound bow with case and 18 arrows for $125, so I gave it a go. That was 2 years ago. The bow was in good condition, but fully covered with camo tape and some areas were painted with green spray paint. I don't hunt, but the tape was getting old and it wasn't very sexy anymore, so I decided to take it off. Off course, old tape split in two, the camo half came off clean while the lower half with the glue layer stayed on. 8 hours later I managed to clean the lower half of it.

It was a real PITA, so I stopped there. After 1 year of leaving it that way, I decided to give it the real deal and take it all apart and fully restore. Long hours and hard work has paid off. The bow is very nice and I'm loving it. Shoots pretty damn good too. I've been polishing most of the hardware and sandblasted a few other parts too.

I'll have a nice modern 5 pins sight, trigger release and cage style arrow-rest on order this week, plus I sewed Velcro straps in the case to hold the bow in place during transport.

I had about $150 put in that bow and accessories so far, plus initial purchase, and then I'll spend another $80 for the sight, release and rest. About $355 in the end for years and years to come of exciting bow shooting

I'm no expert, just enjoying the sport. Thought I'd share my fun here too

Btw, for some reason I can't upload pics right now on this post with my phone, so I'll try to post them next or from my computer tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Front Range, Colorado
    Good for you David bows are a fun hobby. It's funny you posted this I posted a bow experience a couple weeks ago. I shot as a hobby when I was a kid, but haven't touched one for 37 years. A couple weeks ago a friend of mine offered up his for me to shoot. He has a couple custom made re-curves made out of bamboo laminated. They are $1000.00 and up. Anyway I took him up on it and immediately was shooting a 12" group at 70'. I couldn't believe after all these years I still had the skill. I hope to someday take it up again as a hobby, it was a blast to do.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Yah, Archery is super cool fer sure...

I had an old Jennings Carbon Extreme I used to night hunt with. Assembled my own arrows...Easton 2315 Super Slams with Satellite Titans (100grns) hand fletched....

Been a long, long time - now that my son is getting a little bigger it'll be good to get him into target shooting (something I never did)...I can't believe I've never used a recurve (one of my brothers was an Olympic archer)...embarrassing actually

Look forward to pics of grouping and your new 'cleaned' up bow
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Huckin' trails

Bamboo bow and hand made arrows are two things that make archery even more mighty

Ive been trying for the past days to upload the pics trough my phone, but didn't succeed. Haven't had the chance to get on my computer yet either.

I'll try again now. If you don't see pics, then you know it still doesn't work for me.

I still get that message from tapatalk saying "this is not a valid image file" while obviously it is. Guess I'll have to go trough my computer tomorrow. Sorry guys

But I did weight the bow at 5.77 pounds all loaded with quiver + 7 arrows, 11" alu stab with a 8oz 2" dia steel puck at the end for perfect balance, arrow rest and old pin sight. Left-off is 50%, and bow is set at 41lbs currently, but I used to set it to around 32-35 since I was shooting for hours and hours straight. But adding a release, taking the stress out of my fingers, I think I'll be fine at 40+. I'm not a big guy either, hey

Silly question meanwhile to patch the lack of picture. Y'all know English isn't my first language, so I'm wondering why do they call them "compound" bow when obviously the first ones where not always made out of composite, but wood limbs and cast riser ? School me
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

NONDURO
    Archery class in jr. college was an easy “A” grade. It was almost brainless to get a passing grade in that class— show up, and score!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Archery class in jr. college was an easy “A” grade. It was almost brainless to get a passing grade in that class— show up, and score!
    Haha, well that's still pretty much the same nowadays. I just hop in the class when it fits my schedule (the teacher allows me too ), and it's funny to see how many people are pissed off about failing the class when all you have to do is to show up on time and shoot the best you can, there is like very little difference in grade for shooting 12 in a set or 28, it's just to show that you learned how to use a bow and the position/anchoring and control. Like you have to actually have to try hard to fail that class. It was the best one of the three gym class I had to take.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    For me, the easy A class was outdoor adventure. Rafting, rock climbing, backpacking. You got an A if you didn't die on an adventure.

Archery, on the other hand, isn't my thing. I'm left handed but draw with the right arm. I've got dominate eye issues (I think I'm cross eyed as both seem to be dominate...or not). I'm happy hitting the target at 25 yards.

mtbr member
    Nice, my dad handed down a Bear compound of that vintage to me.
    I now shoot a much newer compound for fun Left and right handed in order to not strain a bad back. The wife and I did a horseback archery course last year. and although I have no interest in horses we did end up with a couple nice Hungarian re-curves which I don't shoot enough.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

Huckin' trails
    Alright, so I'm on my computer, got the pics and they aren't as good as I thought, the lighting kinda sucked, so I'll have to get better pics later too.

So here we go for some of the shooting. Most of the shooting I had was at the college, so 15m up to 25m. I haven't taking much pics of my shooting, but here's a few ones for the Halloween special at 18m and then around the balloon

1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_0235_2.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_0237.jpg

Now for the bow itself as before I took it all apart. I don't have pics of it from before I took the tape off the bottom half though. Also the custom made stabilizer, not the most sexy one, but it does the job and didn't costed me a penny.

1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_3796.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_3798.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_3800.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_3801.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_3803.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_3806.jpg

Again some shooting at 15m this winter :

1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_4048.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_4049.jpg

And at 25m (*next post*)

So now the bow once completely done. Lots of polishing and cleaning. Can't make it new again, but I guess I've done a good job considering the bow is almost 30 years old. Pics in the next post
    Last edited by David C; 02-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Huckin' trails
    Shooting at 25m :

1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359872671.328348.jpg

And now the bow all cleaned up, and with the velcro straps sewed on (was a real PITA doing it by hand lol)

1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5142.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5143.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5144.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5148.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5145.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5149.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5152.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5154.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5155.jpg

Huckin' trails
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5138.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5162.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5156.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5165.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5168.jpg1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5172.jpg
    1985 Hoyt/Easton Rambo compound bow-img_5173.jpg

And those are all the pics for now

Here's the three things I'm gonna purchase next though :

Cobra Venom 5 pins sight
    Name:  C48401.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  117.2 KB

Cobra All Adjust release
    Name:  C599-08.jpg
Views: 2953
Size:  10.6 KB

Vital X Steel Armor arrow rest
    Name:  49276_1_Kinseys.jpg
Views: 2756
Size:  55.0 KB

saddlemeat
    Cool David C, great pics! I shot in the Bowhunter/Freestyle/Unlimited category in the early 80's, made it as far as the Nationals once. Had a bow similar to yours, A PSE Laser. I bowhunted a lot too, still have my gear in fact, might have to dust it off. Archery is a great discipline as well as being fun!

They are called compound bows because your effort while drawing is compounded by the pulley system, so that the limbs move half* the distance at half* the effort but the draw length is the same. Eccentric pulleys further reduce the effort required to hold at full draw to half* the draw effort.

*just an example
    Last edited by bsieb; 02-05-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: correction ;)
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Excellent !

I've got an old '90's era Martin Prowler.
    Hav'nt used it much in a long time. The string broke and i replaced it last yr.
    Shot the last of my old arrows... to watch the fletchings fly off.

Then went and priced new arrows... I cried a little.
    Going to have to wait a while to get some more or rebuild these.

I used to have a nice back field to shoot in... Now I'm downtown in a Condo.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

NONDURO
    Re-stringing a compound bow can be kind of a pain in the ass. If you need to do it, make sure you know what you’re doing first. I ended up having a redneck friend of mine do it for me. Dude hunts with his Browning compound bow, never seems to miss any shots.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I have an old Browning Explorer compound bow, in mint condition
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Front Range, Colorado
    As II said earlier in this thread I was into archery as a kid many years ago. Back then it was common to buy a fishing reel to shoot Carp. It's a reel that connects to the bow. Using a special arrow for water use made of fiberglass and rubber feathers. Then a string connected to the arrow. It would wind up on the reel. You could shoot at Carp or other fish and be able to reel in the arrow. A great fun sport and a common way to hunt for fish from a Canoe or off the bank.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

U sayin' Bolt ?
    That Rambo looks sweet! Great job cleaning it up

I have been shooting a Martin Pantera ... also been very impressed with the NAP apache drop-away rest, it is super well constructed and NAP is a first class American Company all the way!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    [QUOTE=David C;10136488]Alright, so I'm on my computer, got the pics and they aren't as good as I thought, the lighting kinda sucked, so I'll have to get better pics later too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0235_2.jpg 
Views:	1196 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	768778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg 
Views:	5087 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	768779

Name:	IMG_3796.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	768780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3798.JPG 
Views:	601 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	768781

Name:	IMG_3800.JPG 
Views:	588 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	768782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3801.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	768783

Name:	IMG_4048.JPG 
Views:	422 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	768786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4049.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	768787

Hey
    it interest me a LOTS , but im not able to see your photos
    its possible to send me them via email ?
    PM me please

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by solidsnake View Post
    Hey
    it interest me a LOTS , but im not able to see your photos
    its possible to send me them via email ?
    PM me please
    Hi, sorry about that, the forum servers seems to get moody every once in a while.

I never got to take better pics, so I'll email you the ones I posted here.

Btw, in May I realized the main steel braided string that is made out of 3 steel lines, had 2 out of the 3 braid broke off just at the bend where it exit the pulley wheel at the top, which means I've been shooting that bow at 50# draw tension a few times with only one string holding it all. Pretty scary. My guess is when I cleaned and polished the wheels, since the string was pinched in trough the pulley I couldn't take it off and the kink in the string worked around a lot, thus finally leading to too much fatigue on the strings and they gave up at one point during a shot.

Since then I haven't shot the bow anymore, and now I'm away since June, but when I get back home I'll have to find a way to replace this string without turning this into a money pit. I don't know anything about bow strings, and the shop told me these are pretty expensive since they are one piece string that goes all the way around, so they are pretty long and have the hooks molded on the ends (like brake/shift cables ends), they quoted me about $300

I'm pretty sure there are less expensive and easier options out there, but I haven't got the time to look around yet, plus I don't have the bow with me.

Anyway, I hope I'll get this back on track without too much trouble.

mtbr member
    Ha... I just picked up 6 arrows yesterday. Shot at the 20 yrd range about 6-7 times...
    Boy am I not in shape....

Talked with a hunting buddy the other day and Going out for pig was brought up... in length... that lit the flame to stop at the Archery shop.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad