Adventure Mapper

ZipFizz - Electrolyte/energy drink powder

Anyone used ZipFizz during training or races?

It has lots of potassium, B12 and other needed minerals, etc. I guess, but 10cal per 16oz of it mixed with water. I don't know much else about it, except the vendor was really excited about it at costco.

I thought there was a nutrition forum on mtbr, but I couldn't find it today...I figure this is relevant to xc training/racing though and I am looking to do my first long xc race June 4 and need to choose a drink mix quickly to try out before I depend on it during the race.

If you have tried lots of drink mixes, what drink mix do you recommend ?
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm a fan of Nuun electrolyte tabs. I've been using Nuun exclusively for over a year now, after switching from Cytomax. It's a great product, I won't train or race without it. Go to Nuun.com for more info. (No affiliation by the way...just an honest testimony)
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

g3h6o3
    Their website gives 0 nutritional information. A lot of marketing, not much content...

Keep in mind that too much electrolytes can yields worse results...

I bought some Elete to try out this summer, at least I know what it contains.

BTW an electrolyte drink never has calories (or limted amounts), it's not a sports drink, they expect you to take your calories elsewhere.
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 05-03-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Adventure Mapper
    Thanks for the reply.

Nuun looks to be a little lower price than the zipfizz per serving, significantly less if you buy 2 or more 4 packs. Where do you purchase yours?

The nutritional values are different too.

Per tablet in 16oz of water,
    Nuun has:

-8 calories
    -360mg sodium
    -100mg potassium
    -25mg magnesium
    -12.5mg calcium
    -34.7mg vitamin c
    -500mcg vitaminB2

Per tube in 16oz of water,
    Zipfizz has:

-10 calories
    -60mg sodium (way too little from what I read is needed)
    -905mg potassium (equivalent to 2 bannanas = good?)
    -100mg magnesium (4 times nuun, but how much is good?)
    -60mg calcium (5 times nuun, but how much is good?)
    -500mg vitamin c (overkill?)
    -2500mcg vitamin B12 (starting to look more like an "energy (monster/red bull) drink")
    -lots of other micronutrients (selenium, chromium, zinc, folate, niacin, thiamin, vit E, riboflavin, etc)
    -other "energy drink" ingredients too (taurine, caffine, ginseng, ginger, L-arginine, grape seed extract, etc)

I need the sodium level increased if I decide to use zipfizz, but if I take salt pills along with zipfizz, any reason not to try it?

I plan to take calories in using homemade gels btw.

g3h6o3
    If you ask me, it seems it contains so many thing (too high osmolality) it'll make your gut turn over.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nuun is starting to become more mainstream, so I'm beginning to see it in more bike shops and grocery stores. I usually get mine at Central Market for like $5.79 a bottle. Bottle contains 12 tabs. So that's less than .50 cents a tab. Not bad compared to sports drinks that go for way over a dollar each. Look for it at large health food grocery stores for a better price.
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

Adventure Mapper
    If taken as a pre ride drink, say an hour before, perhaps along with a preride snack, would zip fizz seem like a good combination? I think after researching Nuun, I am pretty convinced it would be a good, low cost solution to electrolyte replacement during the ride.

mtbr member
    Zipfizz rocks, mid race when u are sluggish it works and for those that say overkill it does say (1) every 4-6 hrs, so it is not a drink you consume the entire race(endurance)