mtbr member
    May 2008

Zero calorie vs high calorie energy drinks

Why would one choose a zero calorie energy/electrolyte drink over one with carbs? Seems like if you're electrolytes are depleted you would most likely want some carbs too.

What do people like for high calorie energy drinks?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Not everyone wants the calories. I very rarely use a sport drink but I use electrolyte drinks quite often and my calories come from another source (gel,bar,whole food source) Gatorade is kinda like drinking candy in my opinion. I like it once in a while but mostly stay away from it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^ Yeah, I usually go with gatorade, but mix about 3/4 of the recommended because it's too sweet.

I'd like to pack more calories in water mostly for endurance races. Carrying 10lbs of water with zero calories seems like a bit of a waste. But I've also read that if you eat a lot of gels, you should drink straight water with them

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great question.

I usually ride with a bottle of Vitamin Water. I use to ride with the regular ones with 32 grams of sugar which is really 8 teaspoons. Essential is what I like , it tastes like Tang which I grew up on as a kid.
    I just switched to ZERO and it's called RISE and has 0 sugar. It doesn't taste as good but it will do.

I also eat Cliff bars for energy on long rides like 20 miles or more. I also switched that to 5 to 10 mile rides with harder faster more intense riding for a better workout.

The bottle fits well in my bike carrier and water starts to taste funny when it gets a bit warm in the plastic caring bike bottle. So far so good witht he ZERO.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Why would one choose a zero calorie energy/electrolyte drink over one with carbs?
    For weight loss? I dunno why. Most zero-cal stuff will have some kind of fake sweet stuff in it, which I pretty much refuse to put into my body.

I am skinny and always drink something with calories. Usually homemade BiH-ade with water / koolaid / sugar / mortons lite salt. I do not eat anything solid. I mix the BiH-ade pretty strong since there is water at a few spots along my route. Also, a cold dr pepper is awesome mid ride, and goes down better than expected.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^ What's BiH-ade -- ha, after googling it, I just looked at your name. I like a slightly watered down orange gatorade. I mix it myself so is pretty cheap and no plastic. Granted it isn't a ton of calories but 1 less gu pack that I need to carry for every ~16oz

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Calories + Exercise = Endurance for increased fitness

Calories + Sedentary = FAT

Zero Calories + Exercise = Decreased exercise intensity and Increased chances of bonking
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't really like my calories in my water...tends to give me gut rot, and tastes worse as it warms. I generally will put electrolytes in my water for endurance rides/races, then use real food, gels, or clif blocks/sharkies for calories.