Lord Thunderbottom

Winter specific fuelling?

I'm about to partake in a weekend snowbike adventure

I'll likely be putting in 5 hours or so on the bike each day of the weekend trip

I'm trying to figure out what my food requirements are, normally for longer rides I use hammer perpetuem, it has worked well for me

I can't use water bottles due to freezing temps, I've tried all the different heating ideas out there and none work well, sneaking a small camelbak under my layers is going to be the best way to keep fluid from freezing

perpetuem can't get hot or it tastes nasty and breaks down protein and lipids (according to hammer), I also don't want this stuff in my camelbak growing who knows what disgusting in there

are there any ideas out there that would allow me to keep with my normal 2 liquid plan or should I turn to something more solid food wise?

food suggestions? I want something more substantial than just gels (which I tuck in my bibs to keep from freezing)

Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to this trip
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Take your gloves off and stick em down your arm's sleeve to stay warm, eat some food. Bananas turn brown but oh well. Hopefully you can still feel your fingers, put gloves back on, your done.
    Hope i don't have to say wicking underwear/first layer, and multiple maybe ventable outer wear is key. If it's cold enough I'd have 2 balaclavas so one's dry, and 2 pairs of gloves or 2 pairs of glove liners also.
    Round and round we go

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'm 100% set on clothing stuff, I guess I've just gotten spoiled with not having to attempt to eat solid food on rides
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    The military has done lots of research on this subject. Their conclusion is increase calories, but no specific changes to diet composition. The same ratios of fat, carbs, and proteins, vitamins/minerals, etc. There is no advantage to increasing any nutrient over your normal diet. You may increase the fats a little to increase calories with minimum extra weight, but still maintain overall good nutrition.

Download and read to your hearts content.

Nutritional Needs in Cold and High-Altitude Environments: Applications for Military Personnel in Field Operations
    So many trails... so little time...

Laramie, Wyoming
    I use water bottles and have no issues with freezing. I mix my own Gatorade so it is pretty strong and keep the bottles in either a frame bag or an insulated bottle bag. You said you will be riding for about 5 hours each day. My ride yesterday was 5.5 hours with temps around 20 degrees (the entire ride was on a frozen river). My coldest ride last week was about four hours at about -20 degrees and I had no issues with my water bottles.