Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulwyf View Post
    Ok, quick question regarding fasting:

So if you don't eat for long periods, say skip breakfast and don't eat until lunch, your body thinks it's starving and starts burning muscle and storing fat. ...but if you wake up from fasting and start doing excercise you burn stored fat? Is it just the difference between basic motor functions (nothing stressful) and for heavy excercise the body needs to burn stored fat over muscle to keep up?

I'm guessing if the body thinks it's starving it will burn the muscle to preserve the stored fat for when it needs it? Is the stored fat more efficient for excercise, or more burns quicker than muscle to meet the demands of needing the energy right then and there?
    Stored fat is NOT the best performance-based fuel. It was "designed" only to sustain to most rudimentary functions of life, in emergency situations; breathing, eating, sleeping, foraging, etc. It's a long-storing, rancid fat that has almost no element of what the muscles and brain thrives on....sugar.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Save Jesus
    "foraging". That sounds like "daily activities if you ask me.

"rancid"? How so?

Acta Neurol Taiwan. 2009 Dec;18(4):231-41.
    Essential fatty acids and human brain.
    Chang CY, Ke DS, Chen JY.
    Source

Department of Neurology, Chi-Mei Medical Center, Tainan Taiwan.
    Abstract

The human brain is nearly 60 percent fat. We've learned in recent years that fatty acids are among the most crucial molecules that determine your brain's integrity and ability to perform. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are required for maintenance of optimal health but they can not synthesized by the body and must be obtained from dietary sources. Clinical observation studies has related imbalance dietary intake of fatty acids to impaired brain performance and diseases. Most of the brain growth is completed by 5-6 years of age. The EFAs, particularly the omega-3 fatty acids, are important for brain development during both the fetal and postnatal period. Dietary decosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is needed for the optimum functional maturation of the retina and visual cortex, with visual acuity and mental development seemingly improved by extra DHA. Beyond their important role in building the brain structure, EFAs, as messengers, are involved in the synthesis and functions of brain neurotransmitters, and in the molecules of the immune system. Neuronal membranes contain phospholipid pools that are the reservoirs for the synthesis of specific lipid messengers on neuronal stimulation or injury. These messengers in turn participate in signaling cascades that can either promote neuronal injury or neuroprotection. The goal of this review is to give a new understanding of how EFAs determine our brain's integrity and performance, and to recall the neuropsychiatric disorders that may be influenced by them. As we further unlock the mystery of how fatty acids affect the brain and better understand the brain's critical dependence on specific EFAs, correct intake of the appropriate diet or supplements becomes one of the tasks we undertake in pursuit of optimal wellness.

mtbr member
    Ok, so we're all fat heads, starting to make sense, but rancid?, would think you should probably talk to your doc about that
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Update for any interested, saw a scale this weekend, rang in at 240 lbs.
    That's 30-35 lbs gone. =)

Hehe, went for a ride this morning after taking a week off due to snow, took a different angle of the turnaround on my route and just decided to zip up a short but steep grass hill. It felt kind of natural popping up off my seat and tearing through it like nothing, where when I first started out my legs might have been too tired to stand up or harder weighing 33 lb's more.

mtbr member
    Good for you Bulwyf.

So, like the thread title asks, "what's your routine"?
    What changes have you made to date? How many pounds lost a week average?
    Yeah, the weather here in the NE has been crazy, the last few days were a gift as far as riding in December goes.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    well, I'd say I was typically around 272-275 lbs normally whenever I'd find myself near a scale.

It was Nov. 13 (around the start of this thread) that I started using the supertracker and logging in my food intake. A week or a week and a half before I had started "half-assing" it and cut out my evening snack, so I was just eating lunch and dinner.

Figured I'd try what I kept hearing and try and boost my metabolism:
    Basically what I do is when I ride before work: wake up, pile on my layers of winter riding gear, go for my ride (about 43 avg. minutes of mtb w/ knobbies on pavement) come back and shower/dress for work. Then have my breakfast (usually fried egg on english muffin w/ dash cayenne pepper & dash Frank's red hot sauce. Go to work, about 2 hours later try to have a snack (typically an ounce of nuts, usually almonds). Lunch (at noon) will vary w/ whatever I've made/have, but I typically always have an apple and 8oz. can of V8 Fruit Fussion with it. Couple hours later another ounce of almonds. Dinner usually ~5:30 again, whatever I have.

Peanut Butter (the 100% peanut kind) and banana on whole wheat bread is another go to item. I know a lot of people want to cut out the bread/grains. I don't think I ate much bread before, started buying wheat bread for sandwiches since Nov 13th. Maybe when I get to a certain plateau, I'll cut out bread, who knows.

I used to have probably a can a soda a day (with dinner) before, haven't really had much since (a couple times when at work related meals and can't have a beer).

edit: Guess it was about 33 lbs in about 5.5 weeks, so 6 lb/week?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Yeah, the weather here in the NE has been crazy, the last few days were a gift as far as riding in December goes.
    Ya, I didn't get to ride during the weekend either =(
    QQ

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm about 3-4lbs a week right now. Started the week before thanksgiving about 205 and now below 185. Target it mid 170's. Then I'll switch my focus back to strength training and re-incorporating the starches and some wheat back into the deit.

I basically cut all sugar, alcohol, wheat, and soy. Oh, I forgot dairy but I'd pretty much given that up over a year ago. I rarely eat starches. Basically have a shake/smoothie for b-fast. Usually a vegetable based juice. Eat a solid meal for lunch being mostly cooked of fresh leafy greens or cruciferous vegetables, beans or wild rice and about 4-6 oz of cold water fish (salmon, halibut, tuna, mackerel, sardines, etc.) or lamb. Dinner is usually a homemade vegetable soup (no pasta and only wild rice). If I'm lazy, late, or have too much going on, I'll juice at night. I supplement my juices and smoothies with powdered vegetable proteins.

I snack on nuts but I found that shelled nuts were too easy to chow on so I switch to nuts in the shell. That way I take longer to eat a few plus I eat them with a full glass of water. That way I'm satisfy my hunger without overeating.

I row about 1.5 hours a week and walk about 15 miles a week. I'm currently not doing any strength training and strictly focusing on weight reduction. I do some body resistance training to maintain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    I'm about 3-4lbs a week right now. Started the week before thanksgiving about 205 and now below 185. Target it mid 170's. Then I'll switch my focus back to strength training and re-incorporating the starches and some wheat back into the deit.

I basically cut all sugar, alcohol, wheat, and soy. Oh, I forgot dairy but I'd pretty much given that up over a year ago. I rarely eat starches. Basically have a shake/smoothie for b-fast. Usually a vegetable based juice. Eat a solid meal for lunch being mostly cooked of fresh leafy greens or cruciferous vegetables, beans or wild rice and about 4-6 oz of cold water fish (salmon, halibut, tuna, mackerel, sardines, etc.) or lamb. Dinner is usually a homemade vegetable soup (no pasta and only wild rice). If I'm lazy, late, or have too much going on, I'll juice at night. I supplement my juices and smoothies with powdered vegetable proteins.

I snack on nuts but I found that shelled nuts were too easy to chow on so I switch to nuts in the shell. That way I take longer to eat a few plus I eat them with a full glass of water. That way I'm satisfy my hunger without overeating.

I row about 1.5 hours a week and walk about 15 miles a week. I'm currently not doing any strength training and strictly focusing on weight reduction. I do some body resistance training to maintain.
    3-4 lbs a week is a bunch of weight. The general rule of thumb is no more than 1-2 lbs a week if you want to keep it off.

However nice results!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    3-4 lbs a week is a bunch of weight. The general rule of thumb is no more than 1-2 lbs a week if you want to keep it off.

However nice results!
    I agree. I expect a bounce at the end of this cleanse and when I re-introduce some of the starches back into the diet. I do know that some of it is a loss of inflammation and water weight from not eating starches. I'm pretty sure I'm mildly allergic, or at least sensitive, to gluten. I also pretty sure if I keep dairy and wheat out of the diet, I can keep it off. That said, the last 3 weeks, about 10 lbs, was about elimination of allergens and I didn't care about the weight. The best part is I feel better than I have in years. The weight loss is just a bonus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4