Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Read this yesterday on MSN The superfood that extends your life - Nutrition - MSN Healthy Living I had been using various nuts as a small snack between meals when I had started this thread (since ran out and need to do a grocery run).

Trader Joe's has some pimp almonds mixed with olive oil and rosemary. I'll have to pick up some unsalted nuts of some kind and incorporate them again into my routine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    ...I should also pick up a scale while I'm out so I can actually track my weight! haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulwyf View Post
    ...I should also pick up a scale while I'm out so I can actually track my weight! haha
    I weight myself at the doc, vet, airport, and gym, sometimes. Once you're at it for a while you can guess within a couplafew pounds what your weight is. Unless you get a quality scale it can be very wrong and get worse over time, and even if it's accurate there's water weight, fat and muscle so ?
    Think it's better to judge your progress by how/where your clothes fit, how much you can pinch and by your energy level. Not saying don't get a scale, but you get the point
    Round and round we go

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I weight myself at the docs, at the airport sometimes, and at the gym sometimes. Once you're at it for a while you can guess within a couple of pounds what your weight is. Unless you get a quality scale it can be very wrong and get worse over time, and even if it's accurate there's water weight, fat and muscle so ?
    Think it's better to judge your progress by how/where your clothes fit, and by your energy level. Not saying don't get a scale, but you get the point
    I stand in front of a mirror, tense my muscles, bounce up and down, and see what parts jiggle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I stand in front of a mirror, tense my muscles, bounce up and down, and see what parts jiggle.
    Can we get a video?

On second thought, never mind. Would rather keep the image of you jumping around looking like a Richard Simmons video, lol
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Cool beans DeeZee. Don'tcha love it when some well placed knowledge helps your efforts pay off and can make ALL the difference. The best to me is when someone finds a way to make it work, that works for them, that fits into their lifestyle, and reaches their goals. Then there's always the added bonuses that aren't as obvious as feeling and looking better. Like more longer and better sex, sleeping better, don't get sick as often, living longer, etc.
    Good for you, thanx for posting
    Thanks. Agree what works for one person doesn’t work for everyone.

One other thing for me that I forgot to mention was a food tracker app for my phone was HUGE. As the saying goes “what gets measured gets done”. I just look at food differently……kinda like taking medicine. Ingest the correct portions of protein / carbs / fat at specific times.

As stated many times in this thread it is more important what you put in you vs. what you need to do to get it out. I really don’t need the app anymore but still use it to track my progress. What I am eating and the effect it has on my weight and energy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Thanks. Agree what works for one person doesn’t work for everyone.

One other thing for me that I forgot to mention was a food tracker app for my phone was HUGE. As the saying goes “what gets measured gets done”. I just look at food differently……kinda like taking medicine. Ingest the correct portions of protein / carbs / fat at specific times.

As stated many times in this thread it is more important what you put in you vs. what you need to do to get it out. I really don’t need the app anymore but still use it to track my progress. What I am eating and the effect it has on my weight and energy.
    Ya, I've been using the USDA supertracker that Dave recomended earlier in this thread. It does help you understand what are pros/cons of things you eat so you can learn and adapt/adjust going forward. Weird though that I put in my age/weight/avg excercise etc and it alloted me a 3200 calorie/day diet. I bumped it down to 2200 goal and really haven't had any issues reaching that goal.

Hehe, except around thanksgiving where there's a huge spike in my history graph for those few days. Now I see why everyone talks about how quickly the calories etc add up around the holidays.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I tried using a couple different tracking apps on my phone, so I could record my meals and activities immediately instead of the end of the day.

Did not work out too well. Screens are too small and fingers too big.
    So many trails... so little time...

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    "...Weird though that I put in my age/weight/avg excercise etc and it alloted me a 3200 calorie/day diet. I bumped it down to 2200 goal and really haven't had any issues reaching that goal..."

I am not sure how they determine caloric needs on that site.
    There are several formulas, the most commonly used is the Harris-Benedict equation (you can google it, too long to post here). Do not get too hung up over which formula is better. For most people all the different formulas yield very similar results -- within a narrow range. For weight loss with a minimum of negative side effects aim for about 10% fewer calories per day than the formula suggests. Too low a caloric intake (crash diet) can lead to other problems. It has taken you many years to build up to your current weight. It may take a long time to safely and permanently get down to your desired weight. Successful permanent weight loss is a permanent lifestyle change, not a temporary dietary adjustment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Poe4Soul:
    I've been getting a good 8 solid hours of sleep. Still kind of weird going to bed earlier/getting up earlier, but it's definately routine now. I could stand to drink more water maybe. I used to drink more at my previous job because we had a water cooler. It was a good excuse to stretch my legs and take a break to get some water & bring some back to my desk. I bring a 20oz bottle of ice water to work, drink it throughout the day. Fill it up again when I'm home, but sometimes forget to drink, other times I"ll drink through it and refill.

theMeat:
    You said that you found that you burn muscle pretty quickly, how do you determine that? I'm guessing it's something you've learned over the long run, but what are the tell-tale signs that tip you off?

dave54:
    Ya, I ended up not even bothering looking for another app. I can use the web site on my phone/tablet, so it's all the same. I just made a shortcut for the bookmark to the webpage like I would have an app.

I was able to get in a couple longer rides in over the weekend, making sure to hit a couple of the big hills. Legs were kind of sore over the weekend so taking a few days off now (good timing because we just had a slight ice/snow storm overnight).

Overall so far my legs are feeling like they're getting pretty solid muscle wise. Saw some people this weekend I don't see regularly and they commented that I looked like I've lose weight.

mtbr member

theMeat:
    You said that you found that you burn muscle pretty quickly, how do you determine that? I'm guessing it's something you've learned over the long run, but what are the tell-tale signs that tip you off?
    I've been living in this body for as long as i can remember, also use my eyes and utilize a mirror sometimes. How I feel and what and where i can pinch too.

Quick story that galvanized things for me.
    After about 6 months of sticking to a much better diet once I decided to take diet serious as a means to achieve fitness goals. My progress was very impressive althou a bit sluggish to get going.

Had a group of about 10 men descend upon my yard to redo my cement work. Some worked very hard all day and some didn't use their body much at all, like the bobcat operator, or the cement truck guy. The only one who had any kind of physique was the owner of the company. The rest were all a bit scrawny with a noticeable gut. I wondered how with all the physical work they did daily how this was so. Every day around lunch time i offered lunch to the crew and every day they said no. After a few days I noticed the owner left for a while every day around lunch time. After a few days i asked him when he returned from his lunch why they didn't take my lunch offer and he said they don't eat lunch ever, but also told me he always did. It couldn't get any more clear for me. I get very involved and a bit obsessed with projects. So that causes me to forget to, or not wanna to take the time to eat as often or as much as what has proven to me to work best. As a result i quickly start to loose muscle and keep at it long enough and the storage kicks in a much bigger way too.
    Round and round we go

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Scrawny with a large gut....

Sounds like a protein deficiency. In severe cases it is called kwashiokor.

Dinner and breakfast are probably low protein, high carb and fat.
    You did not say if they were hispanic. Low dietary protein is not uncommon in hispanic day laborers. Low irregular income means they buy cheap processed food, lots of tortillas and corn, and fast food (mini mart microwaved burritos). Not a very healthy diet.

Save Jesus
    I'm not sure there is any scientific evidence that skipping lunch causes a scrawny physique and belly fat. Maybe they all hung out at the end of the day and had a few Coronas.

mtbr member
    Whether they were Hispanic or drank beer has nothing to do with how skipping meals can lead to more storage and does not support muscle.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Whether they were Hispanic or drank beer has nothing to do with how skipping meals can lead to more storage and does not support muscle.
    Really, Interesting considering there are bodybuilders and MMA athletes that use Warrior Diet with successful results. And then there Intermittent fasting....

mtbr member
    Yea, it is really interesting, as well as tried and true.
    Any successful bb who stays informed or has tried it knows that i.f. or warrior type diet is best for the last few stubborn pounds, or to be used to cycle on and off for brief cycles because mostly the entire population WILL sacrifice muscle along with those pounds, as well as are likely to start storing more if done for long enough.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do share your sources...

I think there are many ways to skin this cat. I've read many bro' posts that find both of these methods of eating valuable. I agree that we all have to find our own way and the small meal plan it can easy but some will overeat, especially if they entertain or go out to eat much, on this plan.

I personally know a trainer that used WD for a couple of years. It's not for everyone but it worked for him. I tried it for about a month. I didn't care for it and didn't have any negative metabolic rate issues or lose of muscles you spoke of. I did take supplements during the fast. I actually didn't lose any muscle but gained muscle. Not huge like a powerlifter or bodybuilder would want, but that wasn't my goal.

Intermittent fasting has some real merit and not just for losing weight. One thing that you fail to mention on your small little 6 meals a day is your gut never has a time to heal or stop digesting. Especially if you have a food allergy or sensitivity that is unknown. Is it a bigger problem than being overweight or over caloried? Probably not.

Granted, with both of those approaches you have to be very disciplined. All eating should be of good quality nutrients and just because you fast doesn't mean you don't eat proper nutrient rich food in balance. I do agree that it would be very difficult for someone to jump into the WD without a good eating/nutrition habits. But for someone that is pretty squared away, both can work. Many do very well on intermittent fasting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Poe4Soul:
    I've been getting a good 8 solid hours of sleep. Still kind of weird going to bed earlier/getting up earlier, but it's definitely routine now. I could stand to drink more water maybe. I used to drink more at my previous job because we had a water cooler. It was a good excuse to stretch my legs and take a break to get some water & bring some back to my desk. I bring a 20oz bottle of ice water to work, drink it throughout the day. Fill it up again when I'm home, but sometimes forget to drink, other times I"ll drink through it and refill.
    When I'm trying to lose weight I'll drink a large class of water, probably 16-32 oz in the morning getting ready. After each time I urinate I drink about 12ozs of water and go back to work. This puts me on a schedule of drinking about 12ozs every hour. If I'm working out, I'd like to well over a gallon of water a day. That said, I don't drink much while I eat, or for about an hour after eating, to give my body time to digest. I'm not on the grazing plan like Meat suggests. I usually drink a vegetable juice in the am, eat a good lunch and a smaller dinner or sometimes just a juice or smoothie if I haven't worked out in the PM. I rarely snack and if I do it's a few nuts or piece of fruit.

You really can't drink too much water but many people find that dehydration stalls weight loss.

mtbr member
    Whatever, can't find much I want to argue there ^, but will say for most that the more active, challenging or advanced you are with condition, the more likely you're short changing your efforts.
    If you want to speak very generally ^ of coarse, and of coarse it's all relative. If you went from eating whatever whenever to eating well once a day. Or if you went from not exercising at all to pretty much any routine you'll see gains.
    Unless you've tried it you just don't know what methods are going to work best for you. Saying 6 small little meals, or "do tell" like it's a phenomenon is just silly, or should I say "bro", where you been?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I agree with most everything you've posted here. So, no real bone to pick. Just wanted to point out that there are other approaches for losing weight. Some work better for some individuals.

I'm would not necessarily concerned with "advanced" conditioning for someone carrying 30-40 lbs of excess weight. Some exceptions exist like linemen, or other athletes that need bulk to compete. I'd recommend primarily working on weight loss and then pursue getting in great condition. There's just too much evidence that those extra pounds can shorten your life... Weight loss - especially with endurance sports. It's much easier to move longer, faster with less weight. I personally would cut all dairy, wheat, white/brown rice, and soy. I'd only consume protein a few times a week. This protein would only be lamb, free range/antibiotic free chicken or turkey. If you are eating tons of leafy greens and some beans and burning fat you really don't need that much protein or fats. Your body is consuming stored fat.

Honestly, I think all you've suggested is good advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    I agree with most everything you've posted here. So, no real bone to pick. Just wanted to point out that there are other approaches for losing weight. Some work better for some individuals.

I'm would not necessarily concerned with "advanced" conditioning for someone carrying 30-40 lbs of excess weight. Some exceptions exist like linemen, or other athletes that need bulk to compete. I'd recommend primarily working on weight loss and then pursue getting in great condition. There's just too much evidence that those extra pounds can shorten your life... Weight loss - especially with endurance sports. It's much easier to move longer, faster with less weight. I personally would cut all dairy, wheat, white/brown rice, and soy. I'd only consume protein a few times a week. This protein would only be lamb, free range/antibiotic free chicken or turkey. If you are eating tons of leafy greens and some beans and burning fat you really don't need that much protein or fats. Your body is consuming stored fat.

Honestly, I think all you've suggested is good advice.

Ok, so I'm obviously still at the beginning phase of my evolving new healthier lifestyle and learning the ropes of all the different diet philosophies. I've started watching calories, stopping/eating less of more "junk" food types, excercising more regularly. I'm not at the phase yet where I decide to eliminate certain types of foods etc yet, with that it mind:

This is not just directed at Poe (I'd like to hear all sides):What are the pros/cons of wheat and rice mentioned above. I'm guessing its the carbs? I've switched from regular breads to whole wheat. Heh, I've also just created a spicey beans & rice meal that I really enjoy 8P I know there's the Atkins is it, that is based on avoiding carbs? Carbs store longer or are harder to burn off or something?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Well thanx Poe.
    Yeah there's more than one way to skin this cat, and there's also what's popular for the moment because one or a few hi profile people find it useful, then everyone wants to try it, or the new superfood of the week.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    This is not just directed at Poe (I'd like to hear all sides)
    The more complex The carb the more slowly it gets used, used up, or stored.
    Before someone feels the need to correct me I'll say that for the sake of keeping it simple, and for where you are with training look at it like this.....First, the simpler the carb the faster it gets converted to sugar and becomes usable energy, and the more likely more goes unused therefore potentially stored. Second, proteins fats and all the other nutrients that come along with them, as well as with carbs, are what your body needs, and just look at carbs as the shuttle for them to get there. I have seen great results as well as many bad side effects from diets like atkin's or the likes. Think the cleanest you should get, as far as carbs, is to get them from veggies and fruits but you should still get them. As compared to bowls or cereal, or helpings of potatoes, even if they're sweet potatoes.
    As anyone starts to diet, exercise whatever you have waves of progress when your body starts to realize/respond to the changes/improvements, while at the same time your bod is trying to compensate. Our bodies are designed and have evolved to store for times of need. So because of this IMO it's best to make small changes to eliminate certain carbs or calories to get the most out of each reduction/improvement. Your end game, or the end of the ladder should be eating lean meats with veggies fruits and nuts. Whether you want to get all or most of your fats and proteins from plant based foods is a whole nother subject so i won't go there.

Oh, and for the record, I do fast for 24 hours usually once every month or two. It's especially helpful when you feel you reached a plateau particularly with diet, or when you make diet changes
    Last edited by theMeat; 12-15-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They are just empty calories. There are better places to get the nutrients they provide without the calories. Wheat is also an allergen, or an irritant, for some people. If you are allergic it causes digestion issues. Protein is also very difficult to digest but that is very difficult for some to leave behind or limit drastically. I've pretty much kicked beef to the curb unless I source it from grass fed beef. Again, too many antibiotics used. Not that I think it harms me but I don't think it's good for us in the long run.

Here stumbled on this reading about IF - Not related to IF but explains my perspective better than I can.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The more complex The carb the more slowly it gets used, used up, or stored.
    Before someone feels the need to correct me I'll say that for the sake of keeping it simple, and for where you are with training look at it like this.....First the simpler the carb the faster it gets converted to sugar and becomes usable energy, and the more likely it is to be stored if unused. Second, proteins fats and all the other nutrients that come along with them, as well as with carbs, are what your body needs, and just look at carbs as the shuttle for them to get there. I have seen great results as well as many bad side effects from diets like atkin's or the likes. Think the cleanest you should get as far as carbs are to get them from veggies and fruits but you should still get them. As compared to bowls or cereal, or helpings of potatoes, even if they're sweet potatoes. As anyone starts to diet, exercise whatever you have waves of progress when your body starts to realize the changes/progress while at the same time your bod is trying to compensate. Our bodies are designed and have evolved to store for times of need. So because of this IMO it's best to make small changes to eliminate certain carbs or calories to get the most of each reduction. Your end game, or the end of the ladder should be eating lean meats with veggies fruits and nuts. Whether you want to get all or most of your fats and proteins from plant based foods is a whole nother subject so i won't go there.
    Well said, add legumes and we are in complete agreement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast