Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ya I've mainly taken the cheese out already, just using up the last of my supply (pet peave: I can't waste food, so I'll just occassionally use up the last couple slices). I'm trying the route of peanut butter (100% peanuts) and banana on whole wheat bread with a cup of chocolate milk after my ride (wake up, ride, get ready for work, protein heavy breakfast, out the door).

*oh, just to note, when I fry the egg I use a 100% olive oil spray from Trader Joe's. Ingredients look healthy-ish on the can of spray. Not sure how much that matters. As I do get more free time to be adventurous and explore new ways of cooking etc I'll try the other methods of eggs. Also not quite ready for the smoothie route yet, but feel free to keep posting ideas/recipes here for them for when I am ready!

hehe, I had ice in my goatee this morning during my ride. The gear I've collected for winter riding is holding out, ordered a few other pieces last night (balaclava, etc) to complete my set.

Anyone have any tips or rules for winter riding? I'm riding a MTB bike on a paved bike path each morning. I'm a little concerned for when ice is more prominent. Right now I'm a tad bit chicken-sh!t around tight corners, afraid I might slide in heavy dew or slight ice. Should I be avoiding paved riding?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulwyf View Post

Anyone have any tips or rules for winter riding? I'm riding a MTB bike on a paved bike path each morning. I'm a little concerned for when ice is more prominent. Right now I'm a tad bit chicken-sh!t around tight corners, afraid I might slide in heavy dew or slight ice. Should I be avoiding paved riding?

You'll likely figure out the routes that have the least amount of water/ice. If it does get icy you might look into some studded tires, although they are good for nothing but riding on ice and snow. If it becomes to treacherous you could switch to an indoor trainer.

Save Jesus
    *oh, just to note, when I fry the egg I use a 100% olive oil spray from Trader Joe's. Ingredients look healthy-ish on the can of spray. Not sure how much that matters.
    The main bad thing that comes from frying is oils that get oxidized. However, an egg doesn't take a lot of power or heat to fry, so you should be ok. Also, saturated fats, like butter, are harder to oxidize than other types of fats, so go ahead and fry your eggs in butter, like all the pro cooks do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    The main bad thing that comes from frying is oils that get oxidized. However, an egg doesn't take a lot of power or heat to fry, so you should be ok. Also, saturated fats, like butter, are harder to oxidize than other types of fats, so go ahead and fry your eggs in butter, like all the pro cooks do.
    What's your opinion on ghee, especially for cooking in high heat. It's better than butter because it doesn't smoke and doesn't have some of the negative properties oil in high heat.

Save Jesus

mtbr member

Re: What's your routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    What's your opinion on ghee, especially for cooking in high heat. It's better than butter because it doesn't smoke and doesn't have some of the negative properties oil in high heat.
    Yes, ghee, macademia oil, lard, bacon grease, rendered duck fat, goose fat... are all great for high heat cooking.
    Another good fat for cooking would be coconut oil.
    Olive oil only in cold kitchen, if heated it oxidezes.
    The worst are vegetable oils, very unstable and oxideze fast. Margarine, like most know is a big no no.

I am a big proponent of primal eating.
    No grains whatsoever, low carbs, high fat diet.
    Grass fed organic meat, low mercury wild caught seafood. Bacon, grass fed eggs and butter. Sticks of butter are one of my favorite treats.
    Lots of organic veggies, fruit in moderation, sprouted nuts and seeds,berries.
    Dairy free.

I also do intermittent fasting - eat only in 6-8hour window, usually between 11am and 6pm.

Feeling great

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I also do intermittent fasting - eat only in 6-8hour window, usually between 11am and 6pm.

Feeling great
    That's basically how I used to eat, lunch around 12 noon, dinner around 5-5:30, then probably a snack later on around 8pm. Nothing in between. Of course I was even more clueless about calories etc then and ate whatever was cheap/convienient/i was in the mood for. Educating myself 1 step at a time slowly but surely about calories and what foods are good for this or that.

edit: hehe, upon reviewing this post it kind of sounded like I was comparing how I ate to how you eat. Not what I intended, I ate like sh!t.

about resting your muscles:
    So I've been pretty good about riding before work every morning, haven't skipped any days in just under 2 weeks. I've read somewhere on the forums you're supposed to rest every now and then so your muscles can recover/grow. Looking at my Sportstracker logs, when I was riding just a couple days after work when I could get out early while it was getting dark earlier and earlier, and riding on the weekends if I was free, I was going about 12.5mph avg over the 9 mile lap. When I was riding more frequently I notice it gradually slowing down to about 11 mph avg. That was on my 20 year old 26in. bike. I've recently started up again on my new 29er since this weekend and this morning I avg'd 13.9 mph trying to keep constant the whole ride. I'd have to check my old phone but I thought when I first got the new bike my avg' was in the 15's mph.

Anyways, to make a long story short, when I got back after a 10 day trip this summer w/out riding I remember feeling like I was killing the route, legs not getting tired etc. So any thoughts on if I should plan a few consequtive days off to rest, or just let those days naturally come (weekends I'm not around to ride, heavy rainy days, etc)

mtbr member
    When you'r pushing hard, Imo 2 days off in a row each week, or at least 2 days real easy in a row.. Yeah, and some days/weeks you feel stronger faster than others, and on some of those days you're actually right about that feeling, and on some it goes away faster/stays longer than others etc. Also what's real limits for that day in terms of condition and diet, and what's in your head and everything in between. Wouldn't be surprised if your extra clothing is slowing you down some.
    As far as getting ready for a race or marathon you shouldn't take off too many days, but for fitness gains, to avoid plateauing and over training, take off 2 days in row each week, and think in terms of 6-8 week cycles. Mix one cycle up some from the last, and also mix it up some within a cycle. Then even thou you may come back a bit weaker for a few days, take off, or largely take off a week or two every one or 2 cycles. After that first few days back, you should get back to where you were and be getting stronger/faster with each cycle, if not then it's likely you're not pushing hard enough, or you need to tweak your diet.
    Last edited by theMeat; 11-22-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Hello all, I've just started riding regularly last year. It turns out cycling is a good hobby for me because I'm a sucker for customizing and tweaking things, and I had no idea there was such a wide range of options for bicycles!

I mainly do it for fun (riding), but if I can get in better shape doing it, awesome!

So my question is regarding eating before/after rides. Right now I basically just ride when I can, never planning on food before/after. What/how much do you eat before a ride? Is it like swimming where you should avoid a big meal before a long ride?

I've read on these forums recommendations of eating before a ride, and eating protein 30 minutes after to help build muscle. How much Protein are we talking about 30 minutes after a ride? Are we talking chicken dinner, or are we talking a protein bar? (some people have said they drink a protein shake?)

Basically I'm wondering what you all do specifically on your typical routines? Examples of what you might eat before (how long before) and after (30 minutes?) your regular rides?

Thanks!!
    I usually never really have a set plan; however, i use the following "plan" as a general rule of thumb. I find that it is best to be slightly hungry before hand. Then about 10 minutes before your work out consume about two servings of honey or one serving of a gel. Oranges also work well. Make sure to also consume at last one cup of water with the food, this will help your body metabolize the fuel more efficiently. I have found that this method works best to optimize performance because your body will gradually replenish lost carbs that are burned from your workout with the easily digestible source from your gel, honey, or orange.

Afterwards I consume about 20 grams of protein. I have read studies that show that when consuming protean within this time frame subjects recovered faster from their workout in addition to building muscle faster. As far as obtaining that source I would shoot for gold standard egg protein mix . I like it because it contains all of the amino acids and bcaa's that make a complete protean. It is also sourced from egg whites so you don't have to worry about cholesterol.

If you want to do further research remember that the principles for nutrition for an active person usually work for all active people (a runners meal and a cyclists meal don't really differ because their bodies essentially require the same nutrients.) Basically don't get hung up on nutrition specific to cyclists, and always remember that what works for someone else may not work for you. Experiment! But most importantly eat a balanced meal and consume 8-10 cups of water a day. I hope this helped, and good luck out there!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

Laramie, Wyoming
    The more that one sticks to a whole natural food diet, the less you have to worry about diet.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Best fuel for rides is a bowl of oatmeal, with fruit(apples, bananas, or berries). It won't hunker you down in a food-induced coma and all the energy will be sustained-release.

I'm on a different mission than most and rides to lose excess body fat. Therefore, I ride immediately upon waking on an empty stomach. Instead of utilizing ingested food as fuel - my body switches to burning stored fat, as the primary energy source. However, I must remind myself to keep my efforts moderate....or else I will deplete all my muscle glycogen and collapse(bonk).
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Best fuel for rides is a bowl of oatmeal, with fruit(apples, bananas, or berries).

I'm on a different mission than most and rides to lose excess body fat. Therefore, I ride immediately upon waking on an empty stomach. Instead of utilizing ingested food as fuel - my body switches to burning stored fat, as the primary energy source.
    If you want your body to burn fat, then eat more fat and less carbs. Carbs are fast / easy burning fuels, so if you eat only that before a ride, your body will use that for energy instead of your fat stores.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    I'm on a different mission than most and rides to lose excess body fat. Therefore, I ride immediately upon waking on an empty stomach. Instead of utilizing ingested food as fuel - my body switches to burning stored fat, as the primary energy source. However, I must remind myself to keep my efforts moderate....or else I will deplete all my muscle glycogen and collapse(bonk).
    This works great but for most looses it's effectiveness with time. Take 2-4 weeks off and come back to it for a month or 2 for better over all progress.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    If you want your body to burn fat, then eat more fat and less carbs. Carbs are fast / easy burning fuels, so if you eat only that before a ride, your body will use that for energy instead of your fat stores.
    It's true, there seems to be a tipping point or a balance thou. Cut out enough fats/carbs and your body starts to store/crave whatever whenever it can. Eat too much and how much storage? Exercising while wanting/needing carbs your energy will not be as great so ? You might be burning more stores for the moment but if getting more fit, more muscle or quicker recovery is a goal this isn't ideal, or at least can be a delicate balance. Why not use food amounts, fats and carbs included, since it takes only a few minutes to eat what it could take hours to burn off anyway, even if you're exercising while fasting/starving. Leave riding to having fun and getting better faster stronger.
    Last edited by theMeat; 11-25-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Interesting read. Gave me some good ideas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ok, quick question regarding fasting:

So if you don't eat for long periods, say skip breakfast and don't eat until lunch, your body thinks it's starving and starts burning muscle and storing fat. ...but if you wake up from fasting and start doing excercise you burn stored fat? Is it just the difference between basic motor functions (nothing stressful) and for heavy excercise the body needs to burn stored fat over muscle to keep up?

I'm guessing if the body thinks it's starving it will burn the muscle to preserve the stored fat for when it needs it? Is the stored fat more efficient for excercise, or more burns quicker than muscle to meet the demands of needing the energy right then and there?

mtbr member
    No quick or easy answer, and certainly not the same for everyone across the board.

Your body doesn't store or store more from exercise. It stores from having excess food and/or from fasting/starving in preparation for the next fasting/starving event. That's why eating smaller more often to curb storage can take a few weeks to a few months or not be very effective at all, and it's a matter of how long or if at all your body will realize it doesn't have to store for times of need simply because it doesn't have any. If you or your genes are from the deserts of Kenya for example, there's not much you are likely to try that will help stop storage short of eating less.
    More often meals thou is better for everyone at building and repairing muscle because most proteins get used up within a few hours and when that protein's done so is your muscle growing and repairing.

Exercising while fasting...
    for the most part for most people your body burns fat before muscle, then at whatever intensity, or whatever duration it will start to consume muscle.

Hope this helps, and it may take some experimenting to find what works. For me i start to consume muscle pretty quick, and also start to store more if i fast too often for long enough.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It'll be interesting to hear the responses from those the suggested this.

No matter what, the body burns glycogen stored in the muscle and in the blood/liver first. Fat is usually the next used when glycogen is depleted. I would guess that since you are fasting in the morning the body has less reserves of glycogen in the blood/liver and will metabolise fat stores next. Protein/muscle is hard to convert to energy than fat.

Fat conversion depends on percentage of body fat available and intensity of the workout. Moderate for a longer period is generally thought to be better. But then there is the HIIT crowd and the dreaded tabata protocol.

If you want to lose fat faster, do more strength training. It won't help your aerobic or become a better/faster cyclist but it will increase your metabolism. This and drink lots of water. If you aren't peeing every hour you're not hydrated. The next low fruit is to reduce stress and sleep at least 7-8 hours a night. (magnesium supplement helps me a ton for good sleep. I take this every night Natural Calm: The Anti Stress Drink)

If I was going to try intermittent fasting/training idea, I would make my dinner meal early and have at least 12 hours before my ride. I'd probably only do it twice a week.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    The best exercise to lose fat (some say the only exercise that reduces fat) is pushaways at the dinner table.

There is a general misunderstanding about burning fat. Poe is correct -- the body's preferred fuel source is glycogen. The body uses fat when glycogen stores get low. Fat is then converted to glucose, and most of us have ample stores of energy in the form of fat (average 130,000 calories). Not all of it is stored in the visible places, like the middle. Fat is found throughout the body, and in several different forms. The membranes of every cell in the body are made of phospholipids, a type of fat.

When you are laying on the couch watching TV, you are burning almost exclusively fat. You are not burning very much, but the little fuel you are burning is nearly all fat. As activity level increases the body starts using more glycogen. You are burning more fuel, and the percentage that is fat decreases as the percentage of glycogen fuel increases. At maximum exertion you are burning mostly glycogen and only a small amount of fat. This is where the concept of 'fat burning zone' comes in (although the term is a misnomer). As your activity level increases the percent of energy from fat decreases. BUT you are burning more total fuel, so you are still burning more fat than you are at lower levels. At maximum exertion you are burning a small percentage of fat, which is a smaller percentage of a large amount of fuel, so you are burning a lot of fat. So why is the 'fat burning zone' usually considered at a submaximal exertion level? Because you cannot maintain that level very long. The 'fat burning zone' is the highest amount of fat burned over a sustained period -- at a pace you can continue long enough to be a good workout and burn a lot of fuel.

HIIT (High intensity Interval Training, Fartleks, Wind Sprints, et al) also helps burn fat because you partially recover between intervals. HIIT also has another benefit -- over time it increases the number of mitochondria in muscle cells, so more ATP is generated, giving you more muscle endurance before fatigue.

Also note for fit people the limiting factor at maximal exertion is the lungs. The lungs can only process so much oxygen at any one time. There is a limit where the muscles can do more work, but cannot get any more oxygen because the lungs cannot keep up with demand. Training will increase this limit, but not indefinitely. The world class endurance athletes seem to top out VO2 max around 90 ml/kg/min There may be a few that have surpassed 100, I have not heard of any.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Wow there's some fart smellers round here. While i completely get the push away from the table exercise since it's much easier and faster to control weight throu diet than try and burn it off for anyone, that's where it ends. Exercise burns calories period. It also raises your metab and has an after exercise burning calorie effect which goes up with intensity. Not to mention the rate at which glycogen fat or muscle burned and at what level of intensity varies greatly.
    Round and round we go

Save Jesus

mtbr member
    Hello all, I've just started riding regularly last year. It turns out cycling is a good hobby for me because I'm a sucker for customizing and tweaking things, and I had no idea there was such a wide range of options for bicycles!

I mainly do it for fun (riding), but if I can get in better shape doing it, awesome!

So my question is regarding eating before/after rides. Right now I basically just ride when I can, never planning on food before/after. What/how much do you eat before a ride? Is it like swimming where you should avoid a big meal before a long ride?

I've read on these forums recomendations of eating before a ride, and eating protein 30 minutes after to help build muscle. How much Protein are we talking about 30 minutes after a ride? Are we talking chicken dinner, or are we talking a protein bar? (some people have said they drink a protein shake?)

Basically I'm wondering what you all do specifically on your typical routines? Examples of what you might eat before (how long before) and after (30 minutes?) your regular rides?

Thanks!!
    Here is what I do most days when I don’t ride

Wake up and drink a 12oz glass of water.

6:00 Eat breakfast. Normally Greek Yogurt, thin slice of Turkey Meatloaf (don’t knock it until you try it!) and sometimes a slice of Ezekiel bread Food For Life

9:00 eat two hard boiled eggs (no yoke) and some fruit (banana / apple most days).

11:00 Small salad.

12:30 Hit the gym. Weights with little to no cardio.

1:30 Snack…Maybe Muscle Milk Light and some more fruit.

3:30 Snack…Nuts or Turkey Jerky…something along those lines.

5:30 Dinner…Something good (Very little processed food) and a light beer

7:30 Light Popcorn with Tapatío Hot sauce and another light beer

9:00 Almonds or some other nuts.

10:00 Bed time.

On the days I ride I skip the gym (sometimes) and eat more carbs before the ride and more protein after the ride. In June 2012 I was 235lbs. March 2013 I was 185lbs. Worked for me.

The key for me was small meals, giving up bread and weight training. I rode less and got faster due to the loss in weight and added strength. I am 6'2" and still 185 but want to get down to 180lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Here is what I do most days when I don’t ride

Ezekiel bread .
    I've seen this in the store but never purchased it. I see they decided not to make Ezekiel 4:12 cakes which were cooked over human feces.

I really don't understand the Ezekiel bread. It was made during a time of famine with the only ingredients around that would grow. But it doesn't have all the crap, sorry for the pun, most breads have. I'd have to guess it doesn't have any GMO ingredients. That would be a total slap in god's face.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    I've seen this in the store but never purchased it. I see they decided not to make Ezekiel 4:12 cakes which were cooked over human feces.

I really don't understand the Ezekiel bread. It was made during a time of famine with the only ingredients around that would grow. But it doesn't have all the crap, sorry for the pun, most breads have. I'd have to guess it doesn't have any GMO ingredients. That would be a total slap in god's face.
    It is made of sprouted grains and not processed flour like other breads (including "Whole" wheat). It tastes good especially the cinnamon raisin. Give it a try!

mtbr member
    Cool beans DeeZee. Don'tcha love it when some well placed knowledge helps your efforts pay off and can make ALL the difference. The best to me is when someone finds a way to make it work, that works for them, that fits into their lifestyle, and reaches their goals. Then there's always the added bonuses that aren't as obvious as feeling and looking better. Like more longer and better sex, sleeping better, don't get sick as often, living longer, etc.
    Good for you, thanx for posting
    Round and round we go

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast