Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nimble biker

what kind of food do you guys eat before a ride?

I am tired of eating nuts, berry bars. it doesn't have enough energy for me.

I become exhausted, and tired after a ride due to hunger

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: what kind of food do you guys eat before a ride?

Eat well regularly, make sure your diet is balanced.

One of the things I like to eat is a foot long Club from subway loaded with spiniach, lettuce, tomatos, green peppers. onions, jalopeņos, and brown mustard.

While out I may rely on Naked Protein smoothies, or muscle milk (not recommended but sometimes it does the trick).

Make sure u intake energy every 45min.

When I did my Indy tour on my 29er that was 57 miles I had a huge breakfast, a veggie burger at lunch, beer, coffee...then 15 mikes later more beer... I was ripped full of energy that ride!!

The weird thing is that the day before my energy was abysmal with crap handling and decision making which led to a crash. I think I simply didn't have enough caloric intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

nimble biker
    what about McDonald milkshake? I hope it has enough calories for a ride.

mtbr member
    Personally I'd never take in a bunch of dairy prior to working out/riding. Recipe for ...YMMV

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And that's kinda relying on sugar...which isn't best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    what about McDonald milkshake? I hope it has enough calories for a ride.
    from the McD's website:

Chocolate Shake
    850 Calories, 19g Protein, 23g Fat, 141g Carbs, 380mg Sodium

Ingredients:
    Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cream, Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Mono-And Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80, Beta Carotene, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Mixed Tocopherols, Nitrous Oxide, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Caramel Color, Salt, Potassium Sorbate, Artificial Flavor (Vanillin), Red 40, cherries, water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sulfur Dioxide.

Sounds more like a chemistry experiment than food to me. If the food we eat is the fuel we use, then I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent of pissing in your gas tank.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AirKuhl View Post
    from the McD's website:

Chocolate Shake
    850 Calories, 19g Protein, 23g Fat, 141g Carbs, 380mg Sodium

Ingredients:
    Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cream, Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Mono-And Diglycerides, Carrageenan, Polysorbate 80, Beta Carotene, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Mixed Tocopherols, Nitrous Oxide, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Caramel Color, Salt, Potassium Sorbate, Artificial Flavor (Vanillin), Red 40, cherries, water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sulfur Dioxide.

Sounds more like a chemistry experiment than food to me. If the food we eat is the fuel we use, then I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent of pissing in your gas tank.
    And 121g of sugar!

That milkshake would negate your entire ride!

mtbr member
    Those little sugar packets you see on the table in diners have about 3 grams of sugar in them, so this means the shake has about 40 sugar packets in it.

mtbr member
    If I'm going to be gone riding a while I always pack a few non-alcoholic beers. When the fatigue kick in I'll stop for 5-10 min and drink one. Carbs and calories plus it's cold and tasty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    For morning rides I'll fry 2 eggs in olive oil, add a slice of toast and a bit of fruit (blueberries, dried figs or a banana). I like to train with a half+ full stomach so I'm used to it. For a later ride, I'll eat about half what I normally would (half a sandwich, half a chicken breast and some noodles, some salad), and the other half of the meal when I get done with the ride. I also typically ride with cytomax or similar in my bottle.
    Race morning I'll eat 3 eggs or so (less if it's an early race) usually in breakfast burrito form (a little ham, cheese in a tortilla), some hashbrowns (also in olive oil, w/ sea salt), and fruit. Figs or dried pineapple, or a cliff bar if I need a snack pre-race. Dried pineapple has a LOT of carbs per oz. Hammer Gels for mid race, the apple cinnamon tastes good warm mid race. After last race my wife had made egg salad sandwiches for me and my race friend, that was great afterwards and sat really well. I was going to eat half prior, but wasn't hungry enough. I also tried a package of Hammer Recoverite afterwards (long hard race) and I felt a lot better than I expected the next day.
    I've bonked enough times to know I really hate it, so I try to avoid having an empty stomach while riding hard.

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    Your whole fueling strategy may be contributing to your feeling tired after the ride. There are a couple of things to think about:

1. Pre-ride: eat a good meal about 2 hours before your ride so that you are replenishing your glycogen stores and have time to digest it. Then, sip your sports drink before the ride top off your glycogen stores. My guess is that you are entering your ride with your glycogen stores already depleted.

2. During ride: maintain a steady intake of calories...try to aim for 250 calories/hour if going longer than 2 hours. You can add up your sports drink + gels + whatever you use to arrive at this number, or just use an all in one fuel. With your

3. Post ride: recover by replenishing your glycogen stores first by continuing to sip your energy drink for about a half hour. THEN, follow with the protein. A lot of folks make the mistake of taking protein right after their ride and this actually can inhibit the absorption of glucose (which is used to replenish your glycogen stores).

Nuts (which are mostly fat) and granola bars probably contain enough calories, but the problem is that they take time and energy to break down into a usable form of energy (glucose).

Hope this helps,
    Jenny
    Tailwind Nutrition
    www.tailwindnutrition.com
    www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition
    Twitter: @gotailwind

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    In the morning I usually make a big egg white omelet with avocado, spinach, and cheese. Then I will have a piece of wheat toast with it as well. That keeps me filled for hours so during the ride i just drink a lot of water or sports drink. After the ride i will snack on almonds and walnuts with some crasins.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I'm in love with my month old NutriBullet. Great pre and post ride NutriBlasts and it really helps to keep up with balanced nutrition, especially for someone that forgets to eat their veggies and fruits regularly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What about a bottle of Sam Adams Boston Lager or a bottle of Guinness?? That should do the trick!!

mtbr member
    Burritos.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    For longer rides I start with oatmeal for breakfast about 2-3 hrs before the start. If I have time I do steel cut oats but if not I do a quicker cooking version (just never instant which in my opinion shouldn't even be called oatmeal). Then I have a peanut butter sandwich right before the ride. No jelly for me - it's way too sweet for me. Then during the ride is where things get tricky for me. I have stomach issues so I have found out the hard way that solid foods are a struggle so I have had better luck with liquid or semi liquids like gels. For liquid calories I have been having good luck so far with e-fuel powder drink mix. It's not real sweet (I don't like sweet stuff) and then I load up on gels like crazy. I get sick of them during long rides but they keep my stomach from rebelling so that's what counts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Oatmeal with a ripe banana 2 or 3 hours before. I take hammer stuff with me, and pace myself for longer rides. I don't race or train but try and ride 2 to 3 days a week if planning on a long ride.

mtbr member
    Before a long ride I go with 5 pieces of bacon, two pieces of toast, a hash brown, oatmeal and maybe some corned beef hash. I eat that about two hours before I'm on the bike and I'm good other than a couple of Gu packets and maybe a granola bar during the ride.

mtbr member
    whatever I can get my hands on... Pre ride nothing too heavy - carbs, maybe a sandwich. Afterwards usually go for protein and a salad. If I'm out with the in-laws (dad/bro) post ride is a cider+ale...

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

Desert RAT
    Your whole fueling strategy may be contributing to your feeling tired after the ride. There are a couple of things to think about:

1. Pre-ride: eat a good meal about 2 hours before your ride so that you are replenishing your glycogen stores and have time to digest it. Then, sip your sports drink before the ride top off your glycogen stores. My guess is that you are entering your ride with your glycogen stores already depleted.

2. During ride: maintain a steady intake of calories...try to aim for 250 calories/hour if going longer than 2 hours. You can add up your sports drink + gels + whatever you use to arrive at this number, or just use an all in one fuel. With your

3. Post ride: recover by replenishing your glycogen stores first by continuing to sip your energy drink for about a half hour. THEN, follow with the protein. A lot of folks make the mistake of taking protein right after their ride and this actually can inhibit the absorption of glucose (which is used to replenish your glycogen stores).

Nuts (which are mostly fat) and granola bars probably contain enough calories, but the problem is that they take time and energy to break down into a usable form of energy (glucose).

Hope this helps,
    Jenny[/QUOTE]

This is the best advice on the page. Spot on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I do two pieces of whole wheat toast with nutella, peanut butter, and honey two hours prior to race time. I will drink plenty of water and two cups of coffee. During the race I drink Skratch labs drink mix with GU packs every 15-30 min.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

I am tired of eating nuts, berry bars. it doesn't have enough energy for me.

I become exhausted, and tired after a ride due to hunger
    It's not just what you eat before your ride. It's also your general diet, condition, and training. Eat well, push limits, stretch after and gains will come.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Eat well regularly, make sure your diet is balanced.

One of the things I like to eat is a foot long Club from subway loaded with spiniach, lettuce, tomatos, green peppers. onions, jalopeņos, and brown mustard.

While out I may rely on Naked Protein smoothies, or muscle milk (not recommended but sometimes it does the trick).

Make sure u intake energy every 45min.

When I did my Indy tour on my 29er that was 57 miles I had a huge breakfast, a veggie burger at lunch, beer, coffee...then 15 mikes later more beer... I was ripped full of energy that ride!!

The weird thing is that the day before my energy was abysmal with crap handling and decision making which led to a crash. I think I simply didn't have enough caloric intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    God not sure how you do that! I ate a footlong Subway Club a half hour before a 2 lap 12 mile single track ride and I was throwing up half hour into it..... No more Subs before riding for me!!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Beer, cheetos, beef stick.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have found that as someone already mentioned that your regular diet is what is going to help you the most. This means eating real food, not processed garbage like fast food.

Ever since I was forced to eat at chinese buffet for lunch due to office renovation instead of eating deli sandwiches, my athletic energy has greatly improved as well as losing weight. However, I eat very well rounded meals and don't load up too heavily in any one area.

I also noticed that my hangovers are way less severe too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    God not sure how you do that! I ate a footlong Subway Club a half hour before a 2 lap 12 mile single track ride and I was throwing up half hour into it..... No more Subs before riding for me!!
    Yeah I've never had any problems with it, or anything else for that matter... although just before Barry Roubaix started that morning I felt like I wanted to barf up some of my bfast only because I ate way too much lol. Thankfully I ate 2 hours before the race started and was fine by the time my wave launched.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast