Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Beer, cheetos, beef stick.
    I hope you're joking
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Yeah, I'm joking. It is usually doritos and jerky.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    When I know Im going to be doing a lengthy run the next morning I may have a small bowl of pasta. And wash that down with water.

In the morning i have either a Gatorade or water and a piece of toast and a orange. I might take a red bull with me too. As well as a pack of shot blocks

mtbr member
    I tried this recipe from Brendan Brazier as a pre ride snack and was charged for 4 hours of riding... only had to supplement with a Mrs. May's Trio bar midway through the ride... it may sound weird but it tastes great too! he calls it Energy Pudding:

2 bananas
    1/2 cup of dates
    1/4 cup of ground flax seed
    1/4 cup roasted carob powder
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/4 tsp sea salt

combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth

mtbr member
    ^^^^ btw that is 2 servings. you can put it in the fridge and it keeps for a couple of days but its best to eat fresh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I'm in love with my month old NutriBullet. Great pre and post ride NutriBlasts and it really helps to keep up with balanced nutrition, especially for someone that forgets to eat their veggies and fruits regularly.
    just picked one up myself if you don't mind me asking what nutriblasts do you drink before and after ? there is plenty of choices of course but i was just looking for a head start from someone who has tried a few already any help is appreciated T.I.A
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05 View Post
    just picked one up myself if you don't mind me asking what nutriblasts do you drink before and after ? there is plenty of choices of course but i was just looking for a head start from someone who has tried a few already any help is appreciated T.I.A
    If I pre-ride blast, I typically do the conventional Spinach/Kale, pineapple, apple, banana, with a handful of cashews, and then use Almond Milk.

My post-ride Blast that I always do about 30-45 minutes after a ride is Vanilla flavored Cytosport Whey protein (27g), along with pineapple, 1/2 apple, a few rasberries, and I'll throw in some different boosts like almonds, chia seeds, pepita seeds, cacao, or whatever sounds good at the moment. Again, I'm pretty much always using Almond Milk as the liquid in my Blasts. The Whey powder causes the blast to be very voluminous. It fluffs up and thickens the drink so that is the reason for no banana and a bit less fruit content. It's an excellent recovery drink.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyv View Post
    Your whole fueling strategy may be contributing to your feeling tired after the ride. There are a couple of things to think about:

1. Pre-ride: eat a good meal about 2 hours before your ride so that you are replenishing your glycogen stores and have time to digest it. Then, sip your sports drink before the ride top off your glycogen stores. My guess is that you are entering your ride with your glycogen stores already depleted.

2. During ride: maintain a steady intake of calories...try to aim for 250 calories/hour if going longer than 2 hours. You can add up your sports drink + gels + whatever you use to arrive at this number, or just use an all in one fuel. With your

3. Post ride: recover by replenishing your glycogen stores first by continuing to sip your energy drink for about a half hour. THEN, follow with the protein. A lot of folks make the mistake of taking protein right after their ride and this actually can inhibit the absorption of glucose (which is used to replenish your glycogen stores).

Nuts (which are mostly fat) and granola bars probably contain enough calories, but the problem is that they take time and energy to break down into a usable form of energy (glucose).

Hope this helps,
    Jenny
    This is excellent information, thanks for sharing. One spot I'm struggling to nail down is the post workout protein and meals. Is it good to load up on some carbs as well? Or should the meal really just be focused on protein? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I eat nothing within three hours prior to racing/hard training, only hydrate. Once started, I gradually consume about 200-250 calories per hour of maltodextrin mixed in my water bottles. For races longer than 2 hours, I will have around 10% of these calories come from added soy protein powder. My fluid needs are lower than most people, so if I feel over-hydrated, I carry a few gels as well.

Eating the morning before a ride has much less of an impact on your glycogen stores than the habit of properly refuling following each workout.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    My bigger rides and races are usually morning starts so for breakfast I'll have a bowl of oatmeal (1/2 cup dry measure + 1.5 cups water + a few tbsp of ground flax + fruit of some sort, either frozen blueberries, or fresh fruit which is better) maybe an hour before the race, then more like 20 min I'll eat a banana, all while drinking plenty. My plan is to have to take a pee right before the start, that's usually a good sign of hydration level.

I sweat gobs, so I have trouble staying hydrated for really long efforts (nearly every long event I've been in I've ended up cramping). I am very conscious about sodium level in my drink (Skratch Labs) and gels (I like powerbar which has ~300mg per packet). I keep telling myself I'll get better at this, and I have gotten better, but not great. I trust aid stations too much to have something salty enough for me, so now I carry my own drink mix or at least fast-food salt packets I can add to a bottle if I want to.

I prefer real food on the bike (rice cakes/balls, pbj sandwich, etc) but those are so hard to eat on a mtn bike (road bike I can like dine with silverware if I wanted, ha!), squirting a gel in your mouth takes seconds so often times I'll opt for that. I like the PowerBar gels and some of the Stinger (but most stinger are so sweet!), the Clif ones are like glue to me and so are the GU ones. I tried the PowerBar chews once and nearly choked while riding, do not try to eat something that gummy while you are working really hard and gasping for air.

There are some interesting points in the book 'Get Fast' from Velopress (written by some lady) about carb loading. Basically why does everyone automatically associate carbs with breads and pasta, that is starch loading, if you were really carb loading you'd be eating carrots, potatoes, kale, squash...which is what she recommends. I'm vegetarian so I eat gobs of vegetables on a daily basis anyway and I usually just up that amount a few days before any event, to make sure I'm topped off nutrition-wise (and ofcourse nutrition is much more than just calories).

I like to practice my race-day eating when I'm just out riding on a weekday, it makes me feel more like it's a legit ride, so I'll actually think about how many bottles I need to go through and when, and what order I'll eat these gels in, and then at least think about it afterwards and possibly write myself notes about what worked well and what was horrible.

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    This is excellent information, thanks for sharing. One spot I'm struggling to nail down is the post workout protein and meals. Is it good to load up on some carbs as well? Or should the meal really just be focused on protein? Thanks in advance.
    I'm an advocate of having a well balanced meal all the time. Carbs come in many forms from the starches that we traditionally think of to citrus fruits and peas, beans and corn. You can get your protein through a recovery drink, or just as part of your meal that is protein focused, but I would still include some carbs. One caveat: if you are following metabolic efficiency training then you probably wouldn't include many carbs (dang...no beer!).

As a datapoint, protein recommendations for endurance athletes are 1.2 to 1.4 g per kilogram of body weight per day, whereas those for resistance and strength-trained athletes may be as high as 1.6 to 1.7 g per kilogram of body weight per day.
    Tailwind Nutrition
    www.tailwindnutrition.com
    www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition
    Twitter: @gotailwind

mtbr member
    Another question I have. Would raisins make a good snack when you feel energy dropping off a bit?

mtbr member
    Another thing I have to ask. I only drink a red bull when biking ( dont drink them any othe time ) I find that when I drink one I have to pee alot, would the higher caffeine in them do that? especially on a semi empty stomach and drinking more water while on the trail

mtbr member
    Sure, raisins are good.
    Don't have a medical or scientific explanation or proof, but coffee makes me pee alot. Haven't had red bulls too often because the upside is useful but the downside/crash is not.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Coffee is diuretic, it's quite normal

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendisha View Post
    Coffee is diuretic, it's quite normal
    To be more general I think most consider caffeine to be a dieretic. I never drink coffee but will drink 5 hr energy or take caffeine tablets before a tough outing and have noticed the same thing.

mtbr member
    First of all A carb is a carb is a carb, I don't care if it comes from a carrot, a peice of bread, or a sugar packet it is a carb and will eventually be broken down into glucose, it may take a different path there but it will be turned into glucose. The type of carb has more to do with digestive sensitivity and the glycemic load (glycemic index along with total amount of glucose in the food) leading to the insulin/glucagon response. Further the insulin response to simple sugars can be thrown out the window during exercise, there is a completely different response which happens then. Don't get me wrong I am not saying replace a bag of carrots with a few sugar packets, I am a big promoter of eating whole foods, non processed.

For the OP if you are looking for energy make sure you eat carbs to fuel your ride starting about 2 hours before the ride then little amounts leading into the ride. Depending on what you can deal with have some but not too much fibre as that slows digestion and may sit in your stomach well into the ride. I have always been good eating berries, banana's before riding and racing but this past weekend I had some pineapple before a pretty hard race and that all came back out after the race looking pretty much the same as it went in so not to pleasant.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2