mtbr member

What is everyones's favorite bottle cage?

I have had the basic metal types..always work but not exciting. Went with an Elite Custom cage this time...lasted a month and then broke...worthless. Will return to Performance. Thinking of getting a Specialized Rib Cage or Rib Cage (side loader).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    That's a no brainer for me, CATEYE | CATEYE : HOME . Just as light as most carbon fiber, does a great job of holding the bottle in place as well as letting it go when you want it, very durable, and cheap too.
    Round and round we go

metrotuned WoS
    US designed, made, KING CAGE. The Iris design is copied (but copies are inferior in finish and function).
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    That's a no brainer for me, CATEYE | CATEYE : HOME . Just as light as most carbon fiber, does a great job of holding the bottle in place as well as letting it go when you want it, very durable, and cheap too.
    Cateye makes 2 different cages

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Cateye makes 2 different cages
    Yup, have them both. They're both really light, really indestructible, and really cheap, what's not to like, I mean really.

Think either model is a good choice, we're talking for under 10 bucks, just as light as 50+ dollar carbon ones, and definitely more durable.
    FWIW think the bc 100 holds the bottle better but also doesn't let you have it as easy and is probably a few grams lighter at I'm guessing around 30 grams. I've never had the bottle come out, even crazy tall ones, of the bc 300 except on a crash but it's a bit quicker in and out so I like it better, probably around 35, maybe 40 grams.

Another FWIW, you'll get alot more posts if you ask over in general forum.
    Last edited by theMeat; 12-11-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    Round and round we go

AZ
    banned
    Either Cateye, almost indestructible.

banned
    I am a bit of a bike snob. I have Zipp cages on all of my bikes. Broke one last year and Zipp sent me a new one FREE! Also have never lost a bottle with one.

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    King Cage without a doubt. They even have a size that fits a growler;-)

King Cage - Bicycle waterbottle cages handmade in Durango, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have Blackburn Slicks on my bike. Lifetime warranty, unbreakable, yadda-yadda.

They are a snug fit, and you can't spread them like metal cages to accommodate non 'bike' bottles.

mtbr member
    (When I use one) I use the Cannondale aluminum cage. It's cheap, light, solid, and most importantly doesn't get caught up or kicked around thanks to its curved design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I have had the basic metal types..always work but not exciting. Went with an Elite Custom cage this time...lasted a month and then broke...worthless. Will return to Performance. Thinking of getting a Specialized Rib Cage or Rib Cage (side loader).
    The Rib Cage hands down is the best at holding on to your bottles, I have them on all 4 of my bikes and have never lost a bottle. Everyone of the guys I rides with uses them and it is about the only thing I will continue to buy from the Big S.

I have the side rib Cage ( Zee cage) on my XC bikes and it works really well, but you have to make sure the bottle is all the way back in the cage.

mtbr member
    Blackburn Slicks are 12 bucks, 23 grams, good looking, feel kinda junky but I haven't broken mine yet and never dropped a bottle.

If you want something nice. get the Ti. King cage or carbon Mandible.

mtbr member
    My favorite cage is actually that elite custom cage, ive had mine for more than a year and it has survived numerous races..

mtbr member
    Only one I have ever been able to reliably not lose bottles on chunky stuff is the spesh side loader one.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Went with Specy Rib Cage. Looks indestructible and holds the bottle TIGHT!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Velocity - Content Template

30 grams, $5 from an LBS. Very tough, and available in a color to match your bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My favorite cage is (and has been since about 1996) is the now exstinct (I think) Blackburn Bomber Jr. cage. It can hold a one liter bottle...good for the summertime.
    Now I wish I would have got the original Blackburn Bomber cage way back when too.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    I like to support Williams Cycling. These look awesome, are light and aren't too expensive. The owner usually answers the phone when you call.

@trailgrinder
    Nice suggestions, I'm going to look at a few of these and am in need of a side loader on the Superfly I ride. I have had good luck with the Bontrager RL cages have worked fine for me, never dropped a bottle or broke a cage.

mtbr member
    Ringle?.... From the Era of CNC and Anodizing but I have always and still love these cages.. A little difficult to find these days but they are still out there.. You'll pay anywhere between $25-$100 for one but they are a pretty cool accessory and pretty functional as well..

Pros
    *Relatively light
    *Bottles are held extremely secure (I've never had a bottle come loose on a descent)
    *They come in fancy colors

Cons
    *They are a little more difficult to install
    *Over time they will scratch and eventually destroy bottles
    *Price

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Check out Vincero if you have a tight frame with minimal room. Really awesome concept. Otherwise King all the way.

Vincero Design Store
    Last edited by steadite; 01-10-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    whatever...

Ski N Bike Tech
    I use the rib cage. It's been holding up for about two seasons now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Spec Carbon