Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

What to drink on my rides??

Just reading through some different parts of the forums here and found this one.

I was wondering what everyone puts in there bottle's or hydration packs when on a bike ride? I like to fill my bottle up with ice water and a couple spoon fulls of the gatorade powder and when I get home drink a bottle of gatorade ( Usually g2 ) to replenish any lost electrolytes, and drink more water.

Just wondering what everyone takes with them

Jeremy

mtbr member
    I always ride with my Camelbak 100oz-3Lt. of water, and keep a large water bottle of Gatorade or other energy drink in my bike's bottle cage. I'll freeze half of the Gatorade the night before, and fill the rest of the bottle with the remaining Gatorade before my ride. Throw a few ice cubes in my Camelbak's bladder also before my ride. I like my drinks cold!
    Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...Hell no!

mtbr member
    I often bring along Gatorade. Sometimes I'll take cold water or I'll do both. It depends on how far I'm going and how stupidly hot and humid the day is (or will be).
    I don't have a hydration pack, but I wonder if it is more convenient than bringing bottles. I managed to find some decent ones on sportsmansguide.com, though, so I will probably purchase one .
    "Be prepared, not scared"
    ~Cody Lundin

"What is stronger, fear or hope?"
    ~Lance Armstrong

mtbr member
    Ice cubes and liquid water

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ultima or Skratch.

mtbr member
    I love fresh juices also before I go out , I find though that drinking juice doesn't quench my thirst when I thirsty, I'd end up drinking my whole bottle in 5 minutes

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've become quite a fan of nuun. I try to stay away from Gatorade. In my opinion it's kinda like drinking candy and causes an energy spike (followed by crash). I used to drink a fair bit of it. Now I try to get my calories from whole food and just try to get electrolytes from drink. Ive founf this to be a more reliable steady source of energy Also as nuun has no sugar it's safe for camelbak's and wont turn it into a science project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecializedWindsor View Post
    I don't have a hydration pack, but I wonder if it is more convenient than bringing bottles
    They are. They allow you to easily carry a large amount of water...some as much as 100oz or maybe even more. That's nearly a gallon of fluid. Add a bottle or two and you are over a gallon. Weighs a bit, but I'd rather have the weight than go thirsty or even become dehydrated on a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    You can also make your own sports drink. Usually water, sugar, salt, salt substitute, flavoring. You can also use fruit juice concentrate instead of sugar. This way you control what's in the drink to better suit your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well all I ever drink is water, water and water. I don't drink all those "sports" drink nor do I ever feel like I need to. In my opinion water is the best energy drink you ever would need .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Water doesn't contain any salts or electrolytes. And to the guy that talked about drinking fruit juices... not all of us can deal with the acidity of OJ or grapefruit juice during a ride.

I personally fill my camelbak with water as that is my primary source of hydration and sometimes I've got a bottle of gatorade for long rides (30+ miles).

I also use Hammer Nutrition Gel. Mainly because I can buy it in a very large container and then put it into these as they are less messy than the foil packets, and contain about 4 servings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I drink water and use a hydration pack this time of year, but I also carry some calories with me in the form of Gu chomps, gels, honey stinger waffles, fig newtons or something. You need calories, electrolytes and other stuff. Of course this is all dependent on how hard you are riding, your fitness, goals and the weather.
    Definitely do some of your own research along with the advice yayhoos like us are giving ya.
    Don't be afraid to experiment, just don't do it on important rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I use a hydration pack and don't like to put juice gatorade etc in it. I will add a few shakes of salt -- not enough to affect the taste or make me thirsty, but still gives me some electrolytes.

I also carry a hammer flask as pictured above, with homemade energy gel made out of honey, potassium, salt, caffiene & B complex. I copied the ingredients in Stinger enery gel.

I love dried cranberries "crasins", and like to mix them with Cheerios (Wal-Mart house brand actually). The powder from the Cheerios keeps the cranberries from being sticky.

Incidentally, I have found that 100mg of caffiene taken 1/2 to one hour before a hard ride helps my energy level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I mix my Gatorade to the strength I like and usually also have some cytomax pre-ride to keep the lactic acid from building too much in my legs.

Rogue Exterminator
    Just water but needs vary per person.

Here is a good article on hydration
    Hydration and Exercise - What to Drink for Proper Hydration During Exercise

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    3l bladder for water and 1 bottle with electrolytes

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I prefer to bring water with plenty of ice cubes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    lemon and lime gatorade, tend to find hammer powder soapy.
    GU powder is pretty good, not too sweet

mtbr member
    Depends. If I'm only out for an hour or so water alone does the trick. If my ride is gonna hit 1.5hrs or more I try and have something with some electrolytes and/or calories. Gatorade is too sweet for my liking and it gives me indigestion. Nuun is great for hydration but has no calories so if I'm gonna go with Nuun then I'll need some Shot Bloks. My favorite is Infinite Nutrition. Good fuel, light tasting and zero indigestion.

mtbr member
    I too like nuun tabs. I have a standard bottle I fill up and throw a tab in then a 1L bottle with water only. brief water breaks (smooth straight section I can manage to handle one handed) I drink from the bottle with the nuun, when I actually STOP for a quick breather I hit the regular water. I try to avoid the cheap version filtered water though, i keep natural well/spring stocked or if I gotta grab something I go after Fiji water or Smart Water. Im a bigger guy and sweat like mad though so I gotta stay on top of electrolytes more than most.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    I always make the following mix: warm water + honey + lemon juice. It is a natural isotonic drink.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sagitt77 View Post
    I always make the following mix: warm water + honey + lemon juice. It is a natural isotonic drink.
    Any specifics on measurements? I think Im gonna try this one.

mtbr member
    0.5 L of warm water (not hot), 1 spoon of honey, squeeze a half of lemon and mix it. This drink is very good for cold and flu also.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any reason the water needs to be warm?

mtbr member
    Yes, honey won't dissolved in cold water. On the other hand hot water deprives honey health properties.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast