mtbr member
    Aug 2009

What do you eat days before a big ride?

I've seen the thread about what people eat immediately before and during a ride.

What about in the days leading up to a big ride/race? Do you change your eating habits any?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Dont change anything leading up to, but I di eat during an entire ride. I use Infinit nutrition, and love the stuff

Afric Pepperbird
    Nothing different "days" ahead....

Usually a pasta dish the night before.

Pedaler of dirt
    As mentioned just eat normally before a ride with maybe a hi carb meal the night before, but only if the race is in the morning. If the race is in the afternoon I find a big breakfast works better than a night-before-pasta dish.

What you can do in the days before a race is hydrate, drink more and often. Start about 48 hours before race start.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

I <3 BEER
    Oct 2011
    I find that an egg and biscuit, without sausage or cheese, does me good for a number of hours of intense riding in Florida heat. I also take in a gel or two depending on how long I go. If it is over an hour a half, I will take in a gel, and go from there. I also like to put a few nuun tabs with a little bit of sugar in my Camelbak. It is a little different riding down here in the heat and humidity than anywhere else, particularly because you are so prone to cramping. Hydration and electrolyte balancing are key!

mtbr member
    I will stop any alcohol and red meat intake a week before.

The morning of a race and big ride I will eat four eggs and a couple cups of cooked rice.
    2013 Niner Jet 9 RDO
    2011 Niner One 9
    2013 Trek Madone 7.9

psycho cyclo addict
    Nothing out of the ordinary except I avoid spicy foods the night before... if I don't, my stomach can get to burning a bit on more demanding races. Race day I eat the same breakfast as usual... 1 egg + 1 egg white and ~1c oatmeal.