Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Water Bottle Cage For Bumpy Terrain?

I keep losing my water bottles on rough trails - I get to the bottom of a run, and notice that it jumped ship somewhere along the way. While not only bad karma, as sometimes I am unable to retrieve the bottle, it also leaves me with nothing to drink.

Are there any bottle cages which use a strap or a latch to hold the bottle in place? Has anyone tried to use their own velcro strap to achieve such an effect?

Thank you!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    It's time for a Camelbak...problem CURED!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    It's time for a Camelbak...problem CURED!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^yea that. If you find something else that works, let me know.

LightJunction.com
    +1 for hydration packs.

Also, Topeak makes an adjustable bottle cage that might allow you to get a tighter fit. I believe Elite also makes some cages that have silicone grippers that keep the bottle in the cage over rougher terrain.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    I always wonder why riders still use water bottles, especially in races. I find them scattered all over the trail. So there goes some racer on a fifteen mile loop with no water after the first rock garden. I’ve always used a Camelbak. Short of Velcro, I’m not sure what else would hold them in.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

bi-winning
    I've had success using standard alloy bottle cages. You can bend them to get the fit nice and tight if needed.

What type of cage are you currently using, and having problems with?

I find many of the plastic / composite cages to be too flexible. Additionally, if the cage does not extend above the straight part of the bottle, and bend in towards the bottle's neck, it is unlikely to hold your bottle over rough terrain.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    I always wonder why riders still use water bottles, especially in races. I find them scattered all over the trail. So there goes some racer on a fifteen mile loop with no water after the first rock garden. I’ve always used a Camelbak. Short of Velcro, I’m not sure what else would hold them in.

I use them because I detest having something strapped to my back. Cateye cages are pretty much ejection proof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I use them because I detest having something strapped to my back. Cateye cages are pretty much ejection proof.
    Fair enough. I certainly understand that, guess I've been doing it for so long, I don't even notice I'm wearing it.Once when I wiped out on rocks, I've noticed the back of pack was scraped hard. Nothing like a little extra protection.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    I've had success using standard alloy bottle cages. You can bend them to get the fit nice and tight if needed.

What type of cage are you currently using, and having problems with?

I find many of the plastic / composite cages to be too flexible. Additionally, if the cage does not extend above the straight part of the bottle, and bend in towards the bottle's neck, it is unlikely to hold your bottle over rough terrain.

I am using exactly one of those types of cages. And I do bend it in for a tighter fit. But the bottles still fall off after a while, every time. I think I should fabricate some kind of latching mechanism or even something using a heavy duty rubber band or velcro strap.

As to why I prefer a cage to a camelback - the cage puts the weight on the bike!

mtbr member
    Specialized "Cascade" cages are awesome and they are only $5. Been using them for about 3-4 years "on rigid bikes" and have never lost a single bottle! You can get them at most Specialized dealers or directly from specialized.com.

mtbr member
    I use the Topeak adjustable (nylon) cage, pictured. It's light, and I can set the WB tension to fit my particular bottle. I've ridden some very bumpy terrain here in AZ and have yet to lose my XL Camelback bottle.

Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

One Gear
    King Cages I lost a bunch a bottles with standard cages. Bought one of these and have not lost a bottle since. Good design!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .40AET View Post
    King Cages I lost a bunch a bottles with standard cages. Bought one of these and have not lost a bottle since. Good design!
    This! The last cage you'll ever need to buy.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    This! The last cage you'll ever need to buy.
    Agree! Stainless if you're on a budget, ti if you have the money. Either way Kings are well worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The cateyes are good but mine dumped my bottles a few times last year...gonna try and put velcro on the bottom of the cage and bottle

mtbr member
    I use Bontrager plastic ones, race x lite I think. 38 grams and under $20. I have never lost a bottle, including on my rigid SS.

mtbr member
    My vote is King cage - Ti of course.

King Cage - Bicycle waterbottle cages handmade in Durango, CO

Woody

SSOD
    you can't go wrong with a king cage. also you can use cut up old tubes or rubber tape to place on contact points like the corners and this will keep them in once you get it snug. Or you can just play around with an old tube by wrapping it all the way around to keep tension. But I would go King if I had the money, old tubes are a little cheaper though.

mtbr member
    I've haven't lost one since I started using the Specialized Ribcage

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    I keep losing my water bottles on rough trails - I get to the bottom of a run, and notice that it jumped ship somewhere along the way. While not only bad karma, as sometimes I am unable to retrieve the bottle, it also leaves me with nothing to drink.

Are there any bottle cages which use a strap or a latch to hold the bottle in place? Has anyone tried to use their own velcro strap to achieve such an effect?

Thank you!
    Cateye BC-100.
    Never dropped a bottle in ~20 years of using them. Plus light, cheap, durable, unbreakable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you are using "bottled water" instead of a bottle made for cycling, you can expect them to bounce out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 on the ribcage. Using it with my 24oz (710mL) CamelBak Podium bottle and I haven't lost my bottle yet. I like having a bottle for sports drink mixes but I carry an Osprey hydration pack with water.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    check out the lezyne power cage. its cheap and durable. looks nice on steel bikes. grabs my bottles like theres no tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    I've haven't lost one since I started using the Specialized Ribcage
    +1

I bought one for each of my bikes, never lost a bottle (and I use the tall bottles). I refused to get cheap crappy alloy cages so I got these instead and they are very very nice in comparison, also lightweight. They have carbon versions as well...though $$.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Trust magnets?

There is a youtube clip of a guy hitting a trail (fairly light) with a full bottle....

Porte bidon magnétique Vincero Design : Le test VTT

video : tLuH20MG2kA

(I cannot post link ... first post woo woo)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast