Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Vegetarians and protein

My wife and I have been eating very little meat. I don't miss or crave it, but have been eating too much carbs and not enough protein. I'd like to eat at least 150 grams a day (20% of my caloric intake).

What do vegetarians on here eat for very high protein foods?

What should I do to get more protein with my typical breakfast (oatmeal with walnuts and raisins)? Add ground flax seed to it?

How many protein shakes a week is too much?

Some things I should probably eat more of to get closer to 150g are:
    Greek yogurt (plain)
    Protein shake
    Peanut or almound butter
    Milk
    Eggs
    Beans

mtbr member
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

Did I catch a niner?
    I am am a meat eater but sometimes like a vegetarian meal. Simply adding things like beans or nuts will do the trick, and also spinach. They say spinach has more protein then ground beef.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Yes, and Kale!
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iBallz View Post
    Its a non issue really.

Sure, but I don't want to look like an elephant

I know first hand the effect that protein has on my body and I'd rather have the body composition of a sprinter than a skinny distance runner. Based on the recommendations of the CDC, I believe quite strongly in a healthy balance of macronutrients. I appreciate the feedback and watched the youtube videos but I get skeptical of people pushing nutritional agendas to possibly get their name out and make a buck.

AZ
    banned
    Last edited by AZ; 02-20-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Replace dead link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Sure, but I don't want to look like an elephant

I know first hand the effect that protein has on my body and I'd rather have the body composition of a sprinter than a skinny distance runner. Based on the recommendations of the CDC, I believe quite strongly in a healthy balance of macronutrients. I appreciate the feedback and watched the youtube videos but I get skeptical of people pushing nutritional agendas to possibly get their name out and make a buck.

Haha! Yes, but think of the cows, gorillas, apes, horses, oxen, giraffes etc all plant based and very strong. But like Mr. Pink says spinach and kale have more protein per pound than meat, and its a better quality.

I agree with the folks trying to make money off of everything, thats what intrigued me about Tim he sells nothing and is a computer guy full time.

heres his take on supplements

Tim VanOrden on supplement use - YouTube

Same with Deanna, she offers nothing to sell, and does real estate.

Nothing better than 'live' macronutrients than dead, processed, preserved, frozen, cooked, meat glue, growth hormone, antibiotic, pesticide injected animals. I went from lots of meat to lots of dark leafy greens every day, and no meat and never felt better. But I'm mainly going for a higher pH diet and thats been fantastic.
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

mtbr member
    May 2008

heres his take on supplements

Tim VanOrden on supplement use - YouTube
    But why believe one computer guy who seems to only provide unscientific anecdotal evidence?

Same with Deanna, she offers nothing to sell, and does real estate.
    Deanna seems more informational than Tim and has the Clinical Nutritional background. But I personally would have trouble closely following nutritional advice from someone who's main profession is computers or real estate.

It makes me think of how Airborne was "Created by a school teacher". The whole time, I was thinking it would be more impressive if it was created by a doctor. Then they got sued for $23M for false advertising because it didn't actually prevent and treat colds.

Nothing better than 'live' macronutrients than dead, processed, preserved, frozen, cooked, meat glue, growth hormone, antibiotic, pesticide injected animals. I went from lots of meat to lots of dark leafy greens every day, and no meat and never felt better. But I'm mainly going for a higher pH diet and thats been fantastic.
    I'm going to start eating more of the leafy greens and tracking the caloric breakdown on mydailyplate. It's probably impossible to consume 150g of protein just from plants but we'll see how everything goes. Maybe I'll feel better than ever a few weeks from now. I'm starting to lose my appetite for chicken and the tri-tip I had today didn't taste that great. I could have gone for a salad instead

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Do you take this and do you know how many grams of protein are in one serving?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Rice has more protein than I expected. Might be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    They say spinach has more protein then ground beef.
    They smoke crack.
    Show Beef Calculator
    Show Foods

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Do you take this and do you know how many grams of protein are in one serving?

Yes I take it but with no quantifiable results, just feel better. 2 grams of protein per tea spoon. I usually use 1 table spoon per.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Rice has more protein than I expected. Might be a good choice.
    Way too much carbs, not enough protein for the macronutrient ratio I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    He may have been talking about it in macronutrient percentages. One problem I have with nutrition is there are a lot of people in the field who use talking points instead of painting a full picture. It's almost similar to a politician using misleading talking points to portray his opponent in a bad way. This creates a lot of confusion and misinformation. One talking point is x vegetable has more protein than beef. Some may think, instead of beef, I'll just eat a serving of x vegetable and get plenty of protein for the day.

Take for example, 100 calories of broccoli has more protein than 100 calories of beef. However, in order to get 150g of protein from broccoli, one would need to eat 50 cups of broccoli. I understand the importance of fiber, but all of that fiber could lead to disastrous results on the trail

mtbr member
    For the added breakfast protein get yourself some hemp granola.

mtbr member
    Yeah, we add hemp seeds to our breakfast bowls of jasmine rice, avacado, tomato, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. Keeps me full all day.
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We've drastically reduced the amount of meat we eat in our household and I have to admit I've never felt better. We eat lots of quinoa, chickpeas and lentils. Very good stuff with lots of protein. Quite often before long rides I'll make quinoa porridge with trail mix and milk. My wife makes chickpea salad with artichokes,sundried tomatoes and broccoli. Very good stuff!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Great recommendations on the hemp seeds, lentils, chickpeas and broccoli.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeriderguy View Post
    We've drastically reduced the amount of meat we eat in our household and I have to admit I've never felt better. We eat lots of quinoa, chickpeas and lentils. Very good stuff with lots of protein. Quite often before long rides I'll make quinoa porridge with trail mix and milk. My wife makes chickpea salad with artichokes,sundried tomatoes and broccoli. Very good stuff!
    Cool, have you seen Forks over Knives? Its a life changer!
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No I haven't thanks for the link - Wife and I will check it out.

Cool, have you seen Forks over Knives? Its a life changer!

mtbr member
    Cool. Its basically the guy that wrote the China study and some other good stuff. Probably the most important documentary to ever come out.

It's on Netflix and YouTube.
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

mtbr member
    Any Peas, Beans or lentils all very easy to digest as well.

Vegan Athlete
    Check out this video about pro racer Cara Gillis: Day in the Life 3; Professional Cyclist Cara Gillis, part 1 on Vimeo

Matt addresses protein at minute 6. There are also comments below about it.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Unless you are trying to be bodybuilder, or have a lean body mass of over 300lbs, 150 grams of protein is a bit excesive. 1-1.5grms of protein per kilo(2.2lbs) of LBM is about ideal. I went vegan just over a year ago, and haven't looked back. I've never felt better about my health, or my impact on the envoroment. I also feel very good that I am not contributing to the brutal toture of the animals that are subjected to our meat and dairy industry. Most people have no idea how bad it is. I certainly didn't. I highly reccomend watching the movie "Earthlings". It's free on Youtube. But I digress...

I'm about 210lbs, about 19% BF. I try to get about 90grms of protein per day. When I first went vegan, I was obssesed with counting my protein to make sure I was getting enough in. Over time, I realized that I was getting enough easily, and so I no longer even pay attention to it. My fitness has never been better, since making this change in my life. For anyone interested in making this type of change, I highly reccomend the book "Thrive Diet". It's fantastic!

Most of my protein comes from-

Tofu/Tempe
    Nuts
    Lentils
    Beans
    Hemp Powder
    Soy Powder
    Quinoa
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat pasta
    Brown Rice
    Peanut Butter
    Almond Butter

Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Right on man! My daughter rented Earthlings and we actually sat through that whole film. (well she left half way through, my other daughter could only stomach about the first 10 minutes) but that film left a pit in my stomach for days afterwords.

+1 on the Thrive books! And did you catch Tim and Deannas videos on the protein myth?
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Amador, have you been losing weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    iBallz- Glad you saw the film. I have to admit, I never made it through the whole thing. About 30 min was all it took for me to realize I needed to change they way I was living. I kept imagining those where people. When you consider that animals feel fear, pain and anxiety like we do, it's a pretty powerful connection.

Bill- Yes. I lost about 30lbs in the first 4 months. I don't know what my body fat was before, but it was obviously too high! I have not lost muscle, I can tell you that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast