Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Epic eater
    Oct 2005

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat

Lots of talk about a new thread on this...so boom..here we go.

I'm looking forward to seeing what recipes people share in here...oh and please don't just post "Google xxxxxxxx", we all know you can search for a bazillion recipes online, but that doesn't tell us how they actually were, or the story behind something, many times that's as interesting as the actual recipe.

I'll start this...I've been vegetarian my whole life, was raised that way, not really as a ethical thing, more as a health thing (religious household, etc). I don't always eat as healthy as I should, but I leave notes for myself like "Eat more vegetables you idiot!" because on days I do, I feel great, days I faulter and eat junk, I feel like crap.

My goto breakfast is:
    1/2 cup dry old fashioned Quaker oatmeal
    2 tbsp ground flax
    1-1/2 cups water
    Microwave until furiously boiling (~2:50)
    Add in: (any variation that totals about 1.5 cups)
    fresh or frozen blueberries
    fresh pineapple
    fresh cantaloupe
    fresh honeydew melon
    fresh raspberries
    diced apple
    sliced banana
    chopped persimmons (one of my favorites)

This is filling (it's what I eat any random day and also before bike races) tastes good, sticks with me for a long time but doesn't make me feel bloated.

Next...
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Mmmmmm! I'll post some usable recipes when I get home.
    Mornings are a smoothie or oatmeal for me. Smoothie has 3-4 bananas, 4+dates, spinach or kale, frozen blueberries/cherries/strawberries, coconut water/juice, mangos if I got em.
    Oatmeal has old fashion organic oats, wheat germ, milled flax, diced dates, molasses/coconut sugar/raw sugar, diced apple, and sometimes crushed walnut(just a sprinkle).
    /= and, or.

9 lives
    Here are three dairy substitutes to make vegan desserts.

Milk

Dairy-free milk alternatives from almonds, cashews, soy, hemp, oats, quinoa, hazelnuts, coconut and other animal-free ingredients. Recipes calling for traditional dairy milk can be made vegan by using any non-dairy milk alternative. Note that if a recipe calls for whole milk or cream, it is best to use a higher-fat milk like coconut milk to best replicate the consistency. If you’re making a savory recipe, be sure to use unsweetened non-dairy milk to avoid unnecessary added sugar.

Eggs

Eggs are used in baking to add structure, leavening, color and flavor to baked goods. Though it is difficult to replicate an egg’s unique molecular structure and properties when baking without animal products, there are several suitable vegan options. Commercial egg replacers made from wheat gluten (like Bob’s Red Mill) or tapioca flour (like Ener-G) are designed to substitute eggs in baked goods that require a leavening agent. Silken tofu is another vegan egg alternative with a quarter-cup of tofu replacing the equivalent of one egg.

Butter

Butter is used to add fat and flavor to baked goods and can easily be swapped out for plant-based oils. Vegan butter-like spreads and sticks (such as EarthBalance) are readily available in most grocery stores and can be substituted for butter. A less processed option is to use coconut oil, which can be used solid at room temperature or melted into a liquid oil depending on what is required by the recipe.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    whoops

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So my daughter decided to become a vegetarian.. With me being a meat eater and absolutely no Clue as what I would feed her and also enjoy myself. With hours of searching for recipes. I was listening to my favorite band on youtube. The there was all this talking about vegan and vegetarian meals.

So Check out Brutally Delicious on Youtube
    Not all are vegan/vegetarian but The one that are, are pretty BOMB I really like the Lima Bean vegi soup Made by Trama of HED P.E

Enjoy and Killer thread !!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Black bean burgers

Black beans(fresh boiled or canned)
    Quick oats
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Any other spices you like
    Mix/mash all together and make patties
    Bake on parchment paper at 350 about 10-15min

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    The best veggie burgers I've ever made:

Based on this but with some variations:
    Our Perfect Veggie Burger ? Oh She Glows

In medium frypan:
    1/2 cup onion, diced
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    1 tsp olive oil
    few dashes of salt

Saute for several minutes until onions are very soft (not browning though). When they are done dump them into larger bowl (see below) and reuse the fry pan to toast the almonds and sunflower seeds:
    1/3 cup raw almonds
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Toast on medium, shaking pan often until the nuts smell fragrant and start to get a little bit of color on them, then dump into food processor and pulse until fine pieces, not powder, but 1/16" - 1/8" pieces, or even a bit bigger pieces.

In separate small bowl:
    2.5 tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup *hot* water, mixed in bowl
    (mix thoroughly and let sit for ~10 minutes)

In larger mixing bowl:
    1 cup oat flour (I ground up oatmeal in a spice grinder, food processor might work)
    1/2 red bell pepper ground up finely in a food processor
    1/2 can of pinto beans, drained & rinsed, mashed/ground in food processor
    1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
    1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 tbsp Soy Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos (I used Braggs)
    1.5 tsp chipotle chile powder
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/4 tsp (or more) ground red pepper (cayenne, etc)
    1/2 tsp salt (guessing, I just did this to taste)
    1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix everything in the larger bowl (onions & toasted chopped nuts & flax mixture & all ingredients above) then mix thoroughly. Next start adding bread crumbs (I used non-flavored panko, but any will work, or even fresh bread slices ground up in a food processor, if aiming for gluten free then obviously don't use wheat-flour-based bread crumbs here) and just keep adding it and mixing thoroughly until you get the texture you want. The recipe calls for 1.5 cups, I doubt I used that much, you should be tasting it here too as nothing in these needs to be cooked, so can eat whenever to get seasoning right, might need more salt or more heat.

Then form into patties (squeeze hard into a ball first to compress, then form into a patty) and either bake at ~400 degrees for maybe 15 minutes, or pan fry on medium with some oil until they are golden brown or even slightly charred. I'm sure you could grill too, but they tend to be a bit crumbly, so maybe on a grill-pan and not actual open grill bars.

I thought these were excellent. The texture of the nuts in the mixture was fantastic and the huge number of spices was worth it in my opinion. I like recipes I can taste as I'm mixing it up to get the seasoning right.
    -------------

9 lives
    ^ wow those veggie burgers. I'm going to try your recipe mabrodis... actually my hubby does the cooking so I'll just pass this on to him and insist Thanks!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    wow where to start.. i grew up on mac and cheese. its fast, nutritious and convenient.

being vegan about a decade, my goto replacement seems to be a thai style peanut sauce pasta.

cook up some al dente spaghetti, macaroni or fusilli.. my fav is actually bucatini for this recipe.

in a seperate saucepan combine a teaspoon of sesame oil, crushed clove of garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, 2tbsp of your fav peanut butter and melt it over medium heat..

add water to sauce to get your desired consistancy, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup as the peanut butter melts but will be lumpy if you dont cut it.. also you can add soy sauce and sriracha to taste.

then just combine and enjoy.

for dessert, frozen bananas with some vanilla extract and maple syrup blend together nice in a food processor. just like ice cream (great on waffles too)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    BBQ cauliflower- bread cut up cauliflower with chickpea flour and water, then breadcrumbs. Bake with or without BBQ sauce on at 20 min. at 425, turn and bake another 20min.

mtbr member
    My favorite is a black bean and brown rice burrito. Add in a little tomato, avalacdo, peppers, onion, and whatever else you might want. I use the low carb whole grain tortillas. Simple, fast and perfect to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey, good ideas! I'm looking forward to perusing these. I tend not to measure, but I'll try to come up with some general guidelines for this (my current go-to quick stir-fry meal).

1 med. onion, diced.
    1 bunch greens (kale, spinach or bok choy) chopped.
    1 small broccoli crown (or 1 bunch green beans), chopped.
    1 package firm tofu, cubed.
    3-4 cloves garlic , chopped.
    1 thumb ginger (grated if you don't like the threads).
    HOT PEPPERS! (optional).

Glaze:
    4 TB veg. broth.
    1-2 TB rice wine vinegar.
    1-2 TB soy sauce.
    1 tsp. corn starch.

brown rice or rice noodles for bed.

Saute onions & broccoli med/hot until onions are just starting to soften. Add tofu and cook until warmed. Add greens until they start to wilt. Mix the glaze and set aside. Add the garlic, ginger & peppers just before you glaze. The glaze will thicken quickly, so this is the last step before you serve. If you like your garlic strong, glaze immediately after adding the garlic & ginger; otherwise saute for a bit.

Serve over brown rice or rice noodles.

This recipe is ready for all kinds of personalizing. Add more or less anything, depending on how acidic (vinegar), salty (soy sauce) or spicy (peppers) you like things.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BeDrinkable View Post
    Hey, good ideas! I'm looking forward to perusing these. I tend not to measure, but I'll try to come up with some general guidelines for this (my current go-to quick stir-fry meal).

1 med. onion, diced.
    1 bunch greens (kale, spinach or bok choy) chopped.
    1 small broccoli crown (or 1 bunch green beans), chopped.
    1 package firm tofu, cubed.
    3-4 cloves garlic , chopped.
    1 thumb ginger (grated if you don't like the threads).
    HOT PEPPERS! (optional).

Glaze:
    4 TB veg. broth.
    1-2 TB rice wine vinegar.
    1-2 TB soy sauce.
    1 tsp. corn starch.

brown rice or rice noodles for bed.

Saute onions & broccoli med/hot until onions are just starting to soften. Add tofu and cook until warmed. Add greens until they start to wilt. Mix the glaze and set aside. Add the garlic, ginger & peppers just before you glaze. The glaze will thicken quickly, so this is the last step before you serve. If you like your garlic strong, glaze immediately after adding the garlic & ginger; otherwise saute for a bit.

Serve over brown rice or rice noodles.

This recipe is ready for all kinds of personalizing. Add more or less anything, depending on how acidic (vinegar), salty (soy sauce) or spicy (peppers) you like things.
    That looks great. I've never made any sort of stir-fry, but I like them at restaurants, I'll have to try that.

On a side note I'm a big fan of brown rice and black/Emperor rice (talk about a conversation starter at a potluck! "Is this rice or mouse turds?") but I've also gotten accustomed to using quinoa or even millet (which is like way way cheaper than quinoa and not far off nutritionally) instead. Nothing against rice at all, just trying different things under some of my favorite Indian dishes.
    -------------

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrodis View Post
    I've also gotten accustomed to using quinoa or even millet (which is like way way cheaper than quinoa and not far off nutritionally) instead.
    Millet really is pretty good stuff. Toasted it's a little sweet. My current favorite bread recipe uses millet (both whole and millet flour). I actually didn't realize that it was close to quinoa health-wise, so that makes me like it even more!

9 lives
    Some info on calcium

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-10981740_10153145547046250_4009475484699198138_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

JHH
    mtbr member
    Breakfast Bowl
    I use a tablespoon to measure. For the nuts its a rounded tablespoon.

1 T Raw Filberts
    1 T Raw Cashews
    1 T Raw Almonds
    1 T Raw Pumpkin seeds
    1 T Raw Sesame seeds
    1 T Flax Seeds
    1 T Chia Seeds
    1 T date pieces
    5 or 6 blackberries
    small hand full of blueberries
    1 T Cacao
    I add 1/3 cup appleasuce or cut up apple - Wife adds yogurt
    Mix and enjoy
    Keep pedaling no matter what

9 lives
    I usually squeeze mine Now I'm going to start looking for the perfect avocado butthole. Thanks!!

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegan Christmas Protein Cookies

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-vegan-christmas-protein-cookies-graphics-1.jpg

Vegans and gluten-free eaters, rejoice! 'Tis the season to partake in holiday goodies.

Peanut, cashew, or almond butter 3 tbsp
    Ground almonds 1/4 cup
    Pea protein powder (vanilla or unflavored) 1/8 cup
    Agave syrup 1 tbsp
    Almond or coconut milk 1 tbsp
    Ground ginger (optional) 1 tsp
    Allspice or pumpkin spice (optional) 1/2 tsp

Directions

1. Blend all ingredients until you achieve cookie-dough consistency. Taste to ensure you've achieved your desired level of sweetness. Adjust accordingly.
    2. Roll your cookie dough into a nonstick cookie tray, and cut out your Christmas shapes with a cookie cutter (think trees, snowmen, and Santas).
    3. Bake at 340 degrees F (170 C) for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.
    4. Now comes the most important step: Allow the cookies to cool completely. If you try to eat them before they've cooled, they'll crumble, and your effort will be for naught.
    5. If you want to decorate your cookies, add some melted dark chocolate, calorie-free chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, shredded coconut, or whatever toppings you fancy the most!

Nutrition Facts
    Serving size: 1 cookie (using sugar-free peanut butter)
    Recipe yields: 5 cookies
    Amount per serving
    Calories 102
    Fat 6 g
    Carbs 5 g
    Protein 6 g
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Made some vegan gf banana cream pie for thanksgiving using this recipe. It was pretty good.

http://minimalistbaker.com/raw-vegan-banana-cream-pie/

9 lives
    Luckily, there’s an alternative solution for those who love the creamy richness of dairy product. Avocados come with the creamy richness of dairy products, but without all of the hormones, antibiotics and animal cruelty that many dairy ingredients are manufactured with. Avocados can be used to replace a variety of normally dairy-rich foods. Here are some ways that you can use avocados to replace dairy ingredients.

1) Use avocado in place of butter in baked goods
    2) Use avocado in place of yogurt in smoothies
    3) Use avocado in place of sour cream
    4) Use avocado in place of salad dressing
    5) Use avocado in place of traditional dips

Good source of info and how to:

How Avocados Can Easily Replace Dairy in All Your Favorite Creamy Dishes | One Green Planet
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    This tastes and looks amazing! And the recipe is so easy

Rainbow Power Greens Salad with Black Eyed Peas {Vegan, Gluten Free}

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-rainbow-power-greens-salad-black-eyed-peas2.jpg

Serves: 2-3
    Ingredients
    2 cups cooked black eyed peas ( or you can cook a whole bag and use part of it for salad. See below for instructions)
    1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (if cooking peas from scratch)
    5 cups chopped collard greens and/or mustard greens/kale
    2 tbsp oil
    ½ of a shallot chopped
    1 tsp minced garlic
    ½ tsp sea salt
    1 to 1½ cup shredded carrot
    ½ cup cooked quinoa (optional)
    black pepper
    oil/vinegar
    lemon juice

Instructions
    If you are going to cook black eyed peas from scratch, see notes.
    Rinse your chopped greens and and cabbage.
    In a medium pan, add 1 tbsp oil, shallot, garlic, and cabbage. Saute for 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
    Next add in your collard green, 1 more tbsp oil, and sea salt. Cover for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat or until greens are wilted.
    Remove from heat and place all the ingredients from the pan into a large bowl.
    Add in your carrots, cooked quinoa, cooked black eyed peas, and a splash of lemon juice.
    Season with more salt/pepper if desired.
    Toss together and serve with oil/vinegar.
    Notes
    if you want to cook peas from scratch. First place a 16oz bag of peas in a pot and cover with water and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
    Let it soak for 1 hr or more.

Rinse then refill pot with water, dash of salt, and simmer peas for 2 hrs on medium. If they are still not tender after 2 hrs, simmer for 20 minutes longer.

Rinse, drain, and keep in a airtight container until ready to eat.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    No Bake Lemon Cookies

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-dsc_0027.2-559x428.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

1 & 1/2 cups Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
    1/4 cup Coconut Flour
    1 pinch of Salt
    2 tablespoons Agave Nectar or Date Paste (Vegan substitutes for raw honey)
    2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
    2 teaspoons Vanilla (or vanilla beans)
    2 teaspoons Lemon zest
    1/4 cup Coconut Oil (melted)

DIRECTIONS:

Mix all of your dry ingredients together.
    Mix in all of the wet ingredients and add in your melted coconut oil.
    Roll mixture into walnut size balls.
    Place your cookies to set/chill in the fridge for about an hour.
    Makes approximately 15 cookies.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    David Lynch's quinoa recipe video is as Lynchian as it gets!

Name:  lynchqdfdfgfsdffdfsd1.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  50.8 KB

David Lynch made this highly entertaining video of himself explaining how to prepare a quinoa recipe of which he’s particularly fond as an extra on the DVD of Lynch’s 2006 movie Inland Empire. The video made the rounds a couple of years ago, and then the lawyers got involved and it was pulled down.

Now it’s back, but, well, in a compromised fashion: it looks like crap, it’s been broken up into two separate YouTube files, and there’s at least a couple of minutes missing, it seems—but it’s still worth a look. Tongue lodged firmly in cheek (I reckon), Lynch manages to bring both his famously gee-whiz affect and his random, surrealist sensibility to bear on his sure-to-be-delicious quinoa concoction.

When you make the transition to the second video, the thought will cross your mind that a mistake has been made, that this is not the same video—trust me: it is.

Yield: 1 bowl
    Cooking Time: 17 minutes

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup quinoa
    1 1/2 cups organic broccoli (chilled, from bag)
    1 cube vegetable bullion
    Braggs Liquid Aminos
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Sea salt

Preparation:
    * Fill medium saucepan with about an inch of fresh water.
    * Set pan on stove, light a nice hot flame add several dashes of sea salt.
    * Look at the quinoa. It’s like sand, this quinoa. It’s real real tight little grains, but it’s going to puff up.
    * Unwrap bullion cube, bust it up with a small knife, and let it wait there. It’ll be happy waiting right there.
    * When water comes to a boil, add quinoa and cover pan with lid. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
    * Meanwhile, retrieve broccoli from refrigerator and set aside, then fill a fine crystal wine glass—one given to you by Agnes and Maya from Lódz, Poland—with red wine, ‘cause this is what you do when you’re making quinoa. Go outside, sit, take a smoke and think about all the little quinoas bubbling away in the pan.
    * Add broccoli, cover and let cook for an additional 7 minutes.
    * Meanwhile, go back outside and tell the story about the train with the coal-burning engine that stopped in a barren, dust-filled landscape on a moonless Yugoslavian night in 1965. The story about the frog moths and the small copper coin that became one room-temperature bottle of violet sugar water, six ice-cold Coca-colas, and handfuls and handfuls of silver coins.
    * Turn off heat, add bullion to quinoa and stir with the tip of the small knife you used to bust up the bullion.
    * Scoop quinoa into bowl using a spoon. Drizzle with liquid amino acids and olive oil. Serve and enjoy.

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    David Lynch's quinoa recipe part 2

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-12805689_1035670019827275_482450718284336220_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    This recipe is so simple and so delicious. This is my choice of food; nutritious and eating food that is close to the ground

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    The Ultimate Vegan Cheezeburger
    Makes 12 burgers

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-enhanced-13218-1458762362-1.jpg
    INGREDIENTS
    2 4-ounce vegetarian smoked apple sage “sausages”
    2 14-ounce tubes vegetarian “ground beef”
    1 small yellow onion, minced
    2 tablespoons roughly chopped sage leaves
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ cup minced steamed beets (about 2 small beets)
    ½ cup bread crumbs
    ½ tablespoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for cooking
    12 slices vegan American “cheeze”
    2 large, ripe avocados, thinly sliced
    3 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
    12 vegan hamburger buns

PREPARATION
    Remove the vegetarian sausage filling from its casing and roughly chop the sausage filling. In a large bowl, combine the chopped sausage filling, “ground beef”, onion, sage, garlic, beets, bread crumbs, kosher salt, and canola oil. Use your hands to mix everything together evenly. Divide the mixture into 12 equal balls, then use your hands to shape the mixture into patties roughly 1-inch thick and 4-inches wide.
    Heat a thin layer of canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties to the hot skillet, working in batches of 3 to 4 patties at a time. Cook, without touching or moving the patties at all, until the underside is browned and starting to blacken in places, about 3 minutes. Flip the patties and top each one with a slice of vegan cheese. Cook until both sides are slightly blackened and the patty is hot all the way through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining patties.
    Serve each patty on a hamburger bun with sliced avocado, tomato, and your choice of condiments!

sauce:
    How To Make The World's Best Vegan Cheeseburger
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    spinach shrinkage

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-12985385_1684884598431002_393639725768000717_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Everything you want to know about Matcha!

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Tis the season mosquitoes are starting to make an appearance

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-10400323_1576470009338138_3421394120447506909_n.jpg

I like the taste of blood oranges... and then I think about the name... and I'm like
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    This tastes and looks amazing! And the recipe is so easy

Rainbow Power Greens Salad with Black Eyed Peas {Vegan, Gluten Free}
    This really looks amazing! I need to try.

9 lives
    Parsnip Fries with Truffle Oil (perfect for Paleo diets)

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-parsnipfriesrecipe.jpg

Parsnips – I used to only know of them as a beige, carrot-like root vegetable. Before I tried them, I had no idea how versatile they could be. Often overlooked, parsnips take on other flavors really well, such as in this recipe with truffle oil. They also make a wonderful substitute for French fries.

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-rawparsnips.jpg

Ingredients
    4 medium parsnips, peeled
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 tsp truffle oil
    2 tbsp parsley, chopped

Instructions
    • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the peeled parsnips into thin fries. Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
    • Turn the fries over and place back in the oven. Turn up the heat to 450 degrees F. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until crispy, watching closely to make sure that the fries do not burn.
    • Place the fries in a large bowl and toss with the parsley and truffle oil. Serve warm, topped with additional sea salt if desired.

Notes
    Servings: 2-3
    Difficulty: Easy

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-paleoparsnipfries.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Nut Butter

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-1934786_10207831065072299_6282999813994617606_n.jpg

1) Peanut: Peanuts are eaten in many forms, but there’s none more popular than the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Though its name implies otherwise, peanuts are not actually nuts, they’re legumes. Full of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, peanut butter is also a great source of antioxidants, vitamin E, folate, and protein.

2) Almond: A close runner-up in popularity to peanut butter, almond butter is a nutritional powerhouse. Often considered the healthiest nut, almonds are capable of lowering cholesterol and reducing diabetes risk. First introduced to the US when Spanish missionaries brought the nut to California in the 1700’s.

3) Hazelnut: With incredibly indulgent flavor, hazelnut butters are most commonly mixed with chocolate (Nutella is not vegan. For a vegan version check out Justin's - Products ). Even in this combination, you can benefit from hazelnut’s high levels of fiber, vitamin B, and magnesium. Amongst all nuts, this buttery version contains one of the lowest amounts of saturated fat.

4) Cashew: Don’t be fooled by cashew’s delicate taste. This half moon-shaped nut is heavy on nutritional benefits including preventing gallstones, lowering risk of weight gain, and keeping bones healthy. It also has five grams of protein per ounce and contains essential minerals such as phosphorus, zinc, and copper.

5) Macadamia: Definitely more expensive and rare, macadamia butter is excellent as a dipping sauce or used as a substitute for butter in baking. Studies have shown that macadamias significantly reduce unhealthy cholesterol.

6) Other Specialty Nut Butters: Nut butters made from pecans, walnuts, pistachios, or brazil nuts are far harder to come by, but certainly available at specialty food stores for those with a curious palette. While similar to macadamia in taste, brazil nut butter is known for its high content of selenium (a cancer-fighting antioxidant) content. Pistachio butter is mildly sweet and comes in varying shades of green, and is often better as a sauce or pâté ingredient than spread directly on bread. Walnut and pecan butters are both high in antioxidants, and perfect to eat with slices of raw vegetables or fruits.

sauce: Ultimate Guide to Nut Butters
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing this cyclelicious! My family basically only eats beef and white stuff. Trying to get them to change their ways. I prefer fake meat to the real stuff myself. I tried to trick them once and it didn't work. I love almond butter too. I can eat a whole jar in one day.!

I'm going to try the fries first. I made some out of turnips once. Are parsnips different?

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    Thanks for sharing this cyclelicious! My family basically only eats beef and white stuff. Trying to get them to change their ways. I prefer fake meat to the real stuff myself. I tried to trick them once and it didn't work. I love almond butter too. I can eat a whole jar in one day.!

I'm going to try the fries first. I made some out of turnips once. Are parsnips different?
    You can come over and cook for me. I did the veggie thing for a week a few months ago. I'm not fully converted, but I've found I love vegan pizza, Tofurky sandwiches from Capriottis etc.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    You can come over and cook for me. I did the veggie thing for a week a few months ago. I'm not fully converted, but I've found I love vegan pizza, Tofurky sandwiches from Capriottis etc.
    I'm so happy to hear that Eric! I can't come over and to cook for you because I ave a needy family who can't do anything for themselves .

9 lives
    Good luck fuzzle! Keep introducing new veg meals :

Quick and fool-proof:

1 cup lentils
    4 cups vegetable broth
    3 skinned and chopped carrots
    2 red potatoes chopped
    1 can green beans, and any canned vegetables of your choosing, drained.
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    Salt&Pepper

Put broth in pot. Add lentils. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook until carrots and potatoes are tender (lentils should be tender by then). Add everything else and leave on low heat. Season to taste.

Use as your vegetable for a meal.You can also add in a chopped onion and clove of garlic, then proceeding as above + sriracha if you like to punch it up. It came out hnnng!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Here's another quick recipe

Cauliflower Rice (1 ingredient... 5 minutes to prep and cook)

-ingredient cauliflower rice, perfect for practically any dish that calls for brown or white rice!

Recipe type: Side Dish
    Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
    Serves: ~4 cups

Ingredients
    1 large head cauliflower

Instructions
    Wash and thoroughly dry cauliflower, then remove all greens and cut into 4 even sections
    With a box grater, use the medium-sized holes or a food processor with an "S" shaped blade, to grate or pulse the cauliflower into the size of rice, leaving any large, tough stems behind.
    Transfer to a clean towel or paper towel and press to remove any excess moisture, which can make your dish soggy.
    Once you have your cauliflower rice, it's easy to cook! Simply sauté in a large skillet over medium heat in 1 Tbsp oil. Cover with a lid so the cauliflower steams and becomes more tender. Cook for a total of 5-8 minutes, then season as desired (such as with soy sauce or salt and pepper).
    Use cauliflower rice in recipes that call for rice, such as stir fries, or fried rice!

Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-how-make-cauliflower-rice-vegan-glutenfree-healthy-recipe-1-.jpg
    Sauce: How to Make Cauliflower Rice - Minimalist Baker
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    These look yummy! The soup is a perfect as a make ahead for those of us who don't want to eat Chipotle on our lunch break...

For the rice I usually steam or microwave the cauliflower first. I will try this way next time.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    This will change your life (vegetarian):

Raw, sweet yellow peppers dipped in warmed camembert.

Tastiest simple snack ever, particularly if the peppers have been on the barbecue.

9 lives
    Hey Forsten welcome to the forum and sharing a yummy snack
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    So what's the best protein source? I'm prone to bad migraines if I don't get enough. Especially exercise induced.

I try to stay away from sugar and carbs. Even fruit unless I ride hard because I gain weight easy.

I may be hypoglycemic so I have to be very careful or I will bonk. It's a delicate balance for me.

I know I can't be a full time vegan. I do want to be one part time and get more veges in my belly too.

I'm also looking for a book with fast and easy ideas.

9 lives
    a good website

Forks Over Knives | Official Website

Hummus, black beans and tofu are all very good sources of protein.

Seitan is a delicious protein source. It goes well in a stir fry with all kinds of veggies.

I also eat tempeh, tofu, soybeans, soy milk, almond butter, and nuts.
    You can find a lot of these things at your local health food store. Even most chain supermarkets will carry some of these.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    a good website

Forks Over Knives | Official Website

Hummus, black beans and tofu are all very good sources of protein.

Seitan is a delicious protein source. It goes well in a stir fry with all kinds of veggies.

I also eat tempeh, tofu, soybeans, soy milk, almond butter, and nuts.
    You can find a lot of these things at your local health food store. Even most chain supermarkets will carry some of these.
    Almond butter is one of my favorite foods. I use to eat it with a spoon right out of the jar for a snack.

I appreciate the info.. I'm aware of some of this stuff. Never tries seitan.

Thanks cyclelicious! Now I won't die of starvation .

9 lives
    Cookbooks for the Plant-Based Athlete

What makes a great vegan or vegetarian cookbook for athletes?

Whole-food based — more than any particular nutrient mix, this is the main criterion for healthy.

Not rabbit-foodish — it’s gotta be substantial, filling, satisfying food.

Quick — most meals shouldn’t take more than 30-40 minutes to prepare, since athletes are generally pretty busy.

Tasty — maybe the best athletes don’t care so much about this, but the rest of us do.

Varied — Each cookbook should have a lot of different types of food in it, so that you could buy just one and still have a nice mix of meals (as opposed to just vegan Indian or Italian food, for example).

1. Veganomicon, by Isa Chandra Moscowitz and Terry Hope Romero

This is a classic, even if it’s only five years old. Though some of the recipes are slightly more involved, most every meal in this book turns out wonderfully. There’s also tons of supporting material to introduce the reader to different ingredients and techniques used in vegan cooking, making this a perfect first “serious” vegan cookbook.

2. Thrive Foods, by Brendan Brazier.

It’s the perfect balance between extremely healthy (Brendan was a pro triathlete and developed many of these recipes to fuel his career) and normal. I wouldn’t call most of this food gourmet — you can tell that health comes first in most of these recipes And the first one-third of the book makes for interesting reading about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
    3. Clean Food , by Terry Walters.

Simple, seasonal, whole ingredients are what I think of when you think of Clean Food. Though it doesn’t say so anywhere on the cover, the book is entirely vegan and mostly gluten-free, too. It's a good cookbook for finding what’s fresh at the farmer’s market and making it for dinner that night. (Terry is also a marathoner and triathlete, so it’s no coincidence that the food here is so perfect for athletes.)
    4. Jai Seed, by Rich Roll.

Jai Seed is a little different — partly because it’s an ebook, but not just that. There’s something else about the food that distinguishes it from that of the other cookbooks on my list. The recipes are unique and interesting, and in general, the ingredients Rich uses are fresh, often raw, superfoods that he combines in simple smoothies, salads, sauces, meals and desserts — and somehow they turn out to be delicious. And it never hurts to know you’re eating the same food a vegan Ultraman triathlete eats!
    5. Appetite for Reductionby Isa Chandra Moscowitz.

Isa is the only author to appear twice on my list, but Appetite for Reduction is somewhat different from Veganomicon, The focus is on simplifying, so that these meals are quicker, healthier, and cheaper than those in V’con. Matt Ruscigno, a vegan Registered Dietitian and ultra-distance cyclist, contributed a nutrition primer and lots of nutrition notes throughout the book
    6. 1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson.

For some, 1000 Vegan Recipes is gateway from vegetarianism to veganism. The reviewer didn't find a ton of standout recipes in this book (Mac ‘n’ Chard is one delicious exception), but the sheer number and variety of quick and simple recipes in the book makes it a go-to to get something on the table fast. The salads section is long and excellent, too.
    7. World Vegetarianby Madhur Jaffrey.

This is the only non-vegan cookbook on the list (many of the recipes call for yogurt or other dairy products, for which you could often substitute vegan versions). But if you don’t own an ethnic cookbook, this is the one to start with.
    8. Supermarket Veganby Donna Klein.

Great book, great title, kinda dumb tagline: “225 Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Recipes for Real People in the Real World.” it selectively uses prepared ingredients from the grocery store to save a lot of time when you’re in a pinch, and most of the recipes turn out well. And for the most part, these meals are cheap, even when you’re paying for the prepared ingredients. If you find yourself time-crunched or otherwise intimidated about cooking, Supermarket Vegan is a place to start.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian / Vegan / Raw recipes & chat-vegnews.paella.jpg

Serves 4

What You Need:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large yellow onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup vegetable broth
    1 pinch saffron threads or ground turmeric (for color)
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
    Salt and pepper
    1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
    1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2-1/2 to 3 cups cooked rice
    1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 (6-ounce) jar roasted red bell pepper, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

What You Do:

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, saffron, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, and tomato juice.

2. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in the peas, chickpeas, rice, artichoke hearts, roasted red bell pepper, olives, and parsley. Cook 3 to 5 minutes longer, stirring gently, to heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Will you marry me? .

A boat load of good info. here! I'm going to have to check that all out on my break tomorrow.

Even when I was an athlete I always cared about taste and I do love Indian food. I'm trying to get more into cooking. I need a hobby and we all need to eat healthy so this is my new one.

Most of the recipes on line are too complicated and I have to buy ingrediants I will never use again.

My ideal eating plan is challenging since it's paleo based and I love Nachos, Hard Cider and hanging out at the Brewery . Carbs make me tired and gain weight. I don't work out enough to burn them.

I'm taking more of you advice and incorporating short runs into my puny little workouts since riding isn't always an option. It was good to hear a little goes a long way.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VegNews.Paella.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	1072403
    Wow! Thanks for posting this one. It actually reminded me of one of my (older) mainstays. it's really, really simple.

2-4 cloves garlic (or to taste), chopped.
    1 package whole wheat angel hair pasta.
    2 small jars pimentos.
    2 jars marinated artichoke hearts (retain the liquid from 1 jar)
    2 cups rough chopped mushrooms.
    1 package tofu, diced small.
    Pepper flakes (as much as you like).

Cook the tofu to your preference (I like to saute it over olive oil until it gets a little crispy), then set aside. In a large skillet, saute 'shrooms over olive oil until brown. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant. Add back the tofu plus the pimentos and artichokes and heat until warm. While these are warming, cook the angel hair. When the pasta is almost done, remove from water and mix in the skillet with the goodies. Flavor to taste with the liquid from the artichoke marinade and salt, pepper if needed.

9 lives
    How to Roast an Eggplant

Ideally, you ca smoke eggplants by burying them in the ashes of a fire. Since most of us don’t regularly have fires with ashes, many make-at-home recipes will have you roast them in the oven instead.

Here's better way: Smoke them in a gas grill. You don’t even need woodchips; the skins on the eggplant give off their own smoke, and it’s perfect.

Here’s how I do it:
    1. Crank your grill up as high as it goes.

2. Pierce two large eggplants all over with a fork and put them on the grill (you can do more than this, but maybe just stick to two the first time).

Name:  eggplants-on-grill-image-300x225.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  30.9 KB

3. Close the grill. Use tongs to rotate the eggplants every 10 to 15 minutes, for as little as half an hour and up to a full hour. The longer you leave them on there, the smokier the eggplant will get. You want the middle to be nice and soft but the skins to get charred and crisp.

Name:  charred-eggplants-image-300x225.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  35.5 KB

4. Remove the eggplants from the grill and allow them to cool.

5. Carefully cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon, leaving the brittle skins behind. (Others will tell you to peel the skins off, but that leaves lots of char behind.)

Name:  smoked-eggplant-flesh-image-300x225.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  25.9 KB

6. Use your smoky eggplant flesh for whatever you want!

You can make Baba Ghannouj (It's easy)

Here’s how to make baba ghannouj with the eggplant you just smoked. If you can’t do this, you’re terrible at cooking.

Ready? Put the smoked flesh of two small eggplants in a food processor with 6 tablespoons of olive oil, the juice of a lemon, and two teaspoons of salt. Puree until it’s creamy, and then add more lemon and salt to taste. Use as a dip for whole wheat pitas.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast