Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longfinkillie View Post
    ^(wouldn't it just be easier to ignore posts like this?)^

Now back to regular scheduled programming...

So, I went for a 10 mile ride yesterday when the munchies hit. Barring the obligatory dried fruit/granola fare, whatcha guys packin' for ya snackin'?
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Dried fruit and granola. Hehe. Also, baked potato with some fixin's( butter or substitute, a few slices of avocado, cheese or nutritional yeast, whatever else you want on it). Bag of mixed nuts( almonds, walnuts, cashews, sometimes Brazil nuts and maybe some pistachios). Peanut butter and banana sandwich with honey/ agave nectar. Vegetable juice.
    Homemade beef and venison jerky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Somebody gave me negative rep for being a "troll" in my own thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ^(wouldn't it just be easier to ignore posts like this?)^

Now back to regular scheduled programming...

So, I went for a 10 mile ride yesterday when the munchies hit. Barring the obligatory dried fruit/granola fare, whatcha guys packin' for ya snackin'?
    I just pack a bar. I'm not a vegan, so I go with a Clif Bar - but I've been drinking Hammer Heed and it's been working great. I truly DO NOT know what they put in that stuff but it brings me back to life in a big way.

My lunch rides are generally 10-15 miles long (with the exception of my road rides, which are about 22 miles long) so I only pack enough calories to get me through.

Gigantic Hawk
    You can't be a troll. Trolls eat meat.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm taking my wife to Home Page for her birthday today up in Oakland (Ca.). They serve fried "chicken" and other things that seem pretty good.

When I converted, the one thing that I really miss is Fried Chicken, prepared Filipino style (Island style) - which is extra crispy with a serving of white rice. DUDE.

So I'm looking forward to it, definitely.

Jealous. In the South( Raleigh) we have nothing. Unless you count this place called Remedy, which is absolute sht.

I miss Denver already. Veg food options at every single restaurant. Here I'm lucky if the salad has a lettuce besides iceberg in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I always throw a couple apples into my pack. get some slow-release sugar and hydration at the same time.

I save fancy sports foods and drinks for special occasions, such as a trip to the mountains.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    As a fellow V-peep, I encourage you to ignore the nay-saying regarding our diet choices. I tell people I'm a vegetarian and they look at me like I have AIDS.

Then the questions come up, "How do you get your protein?" and "Don't you feel weak?" and or "Science has proven we need meat..."; sometimes I get the "I knew a guy who was vegetarian and he still ended up dying..." That one always makes me laugh.
    its amazing how consistent the responses are to finding out somebody is a vegetarian. Why do so many people act as if they have not had plenty of opportunities to find out that there is plenty of digestable protein in all sorts of vegetative matter.

now if you're a world-class athlete, perhaps you might find mild scientific justification for eating dairy or a bit of meat. But the other 99.995% of the population is almost certainly well-served by plant proteins. I haven't eaten meat more than ten times in over a decade and nobody would look at me and think I'm lacking in protein at 5'8", 200lbs, and ~10% body fat.

and as I age slower than the sedentary and the heavy-meat eaters around me, I get to revel in my body's relative youth, so I still get to feel like a winner!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Besides tasting great, it needs to cook for only 20 minutes. Last night I cooked up a pot of quinoa with some amaranth (just to be ber indigenous). Tasty.
    interestingly, quinoa is basically a type of amaranth...same family.

there are several interesting north american species in the same genus as quinoa. What we see around here most frequently, and considered one of agriculture's most noxious pests is chenopodium alba. South American quinoa is chenopodium quinoa.

In the south if you scratch the ground (or even if you don't) a close relative of quinoa will come sprouting up. You can eat the leaves in moderation ( though some are very sensitive to the oxalic acid in the leaves) and the seeds are a smaller version of the familiar pseudo-grain, quinoa. Once you've cleaned off the saponins that prevent insect infestation, you can eat the seeds. I'm letting chenopodium take over my garden and weeding out all the competitors to see how much food I can get from it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    now if you're a world-class athlete, perhaps you might find mild scientific justification for eating dairy or a bit of meat. But the other 99.995% of the population is almost certainly well-served by plant proteins.
    Mac Danzig, professional UFC fighter, seems to do just fine with his high protein vegan diet

UFC Fighter Mac Danzig's Vegan Diet - Aggressive Strength Nutrition Article

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Jealous. In the South( Raleigh) we have nothing. Unless you count this place called Remedy, which is absolute sht.

I miss Denver already. Veg food options at every single restaurant. Here I'm lucky if the salad has a lettuce besides iceberg in it.
    Here's what I had for lunch today at Souly Vegan:

Fried Okra for an Appetizer
    2 pieces of Fried Tofu
    Red Beans and Rice
    Corn Bread
    Mustard Greens

Dude...

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-soulyvegan.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    God that looks delicious!!!

mtbr member
    Wow!! Vegan soul food. Gonna have to take a trip to Oakland for some of that goodness. Perhaps before an A's game.

Dude, that looks so freaking good! You quoted me to make me more envious. I like your style.

Also, whomever neg repped me for being a "vegan troll", I'm not vegan. Read my posts dude; I eat fish and sht on a rare occasion. I simply add the vegan subs so people who are can make the proper adjustments without having to figure it out themselves, 'Cause I'm a nice guy and sht.

I have to now try and force myself to sleep. It's 10:50pm EST and I need to be up by 5:00am EST for a 70+ miler. Though, I am probably going to post a few more times on some forums; I'm addicted.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

"2 Wycked"
    Also, whomever neg repped me for being a "vegan troll", I'm not vegan. Read my posts dude; I eat fish and sht on a rare occasion.
    Eww, you eat sh*t on rare occasions?!?! That's just gross.

(Sorry, I had a moment of weakness and couldn't resist )
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    Eww, you eat sh*t on rare occasions?!?! That's just gross.

(Sorry, I had a moment of weakness and couldn't resist )
    Yeah, I knew it was going to happen eventually. I thought about editing it when I was proofreading but decided against it. I figured I'd let some one jump on it.

Also, Found that post I was responding to. It was in a different thread. I am going to cross post my original. (The one with the statistics).

mtbr member
    Ive been on a vegan diet for over 9 years and it seems to suit me well in an active lifestyle that includes cycling, running, hiking, skateboarding, surfing, and snowboarding.
    I live in Portland most of the year (im stuck in Michigan for grad school) and that city has the best selection of vegan and vegetarian eateries ive ever seen. In addition it is also super cycle friendly.

mtbr member
    I love mushrooms! Saute them with garlic, ginger, and eat them over noodles. And I live off Hummus, I make wraps with greens and a cucumber sauce for lunch all the time. Not to mention black beans nachos, chile and black bean burritos.
    The Green Bastard

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.bubbles View Post
    I love mushrooms! Saute them with garlic, ginger, and eat them over noodles. And I live off Hummus, I make wraps with greens and a cucumber sauce for lunch all the time. Not to mention black beans nachos, chile and black bean burritos.
    I think you may like this pic. We had to ride around it of course! My Dad is always trying these out, brings them home all the time, and he's 78. More often than not they end up in the garbage due to bugs.

Also, Go Patrick Swayze train! Just saw that one the other day....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-dungenesstrailobstacle.jpg  

Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Thats a nice shroom. I saw a big ol' one my last ride too. I never dare to eat them tho, but I don't know what kind they are.
    dirty old Sebastian Bach is jealous of the swayze express, and lied about him using illegal parts!
    Hahaha
    The Green Bastard

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anybody ever ate Laughing Seed Restaurant in Asheville NC? AMAZING and very reasonable price. Stellar MTB area obviously too!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt View Post
    Mac Danzig, professional UFC fighter, seems to do just fine with his high protein vegan diet

UFC Fighter Mac Danzig's Vegan Diet - Aggressive Strength Nutrition Article
    right, which is why I only went so far as to say "mild scientific justification".

clearly an example of someone who performs well as a professional athlete without eating meat is insufficient to rule out that all can do so.

But what I think is defensible is that scientific evidence indicates that the vast majority of people can be just as healthy and athletic with a omnivorous diet as a vegetarian diet. Too much meat has also been thoroughly shown to be bad for you, but that's a tautological statement, so of course its correct.

Another claim that is difficult to support with science is the idea that small amounts of meat in your diet (e.g. a serving every couple of weeks) will have deleterious effects on your health. Probably the greatest risk associated with this sort of meat consumption is due to the risk of consuming pathogens and unhealthy chemicals, both which can also be found in non-meat food sources.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin

Osem is Awesome!

This stuff is the closest to a chicken soup analogue I've seen in a while (but I'm open to suggestions about others). It's a little on the salty side though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm trying very hard to be vegan. It's not easy. Fake meat does not = vegetarian. I hate that stuff. It's nasty.

How do the vegan's do it when you travel?

How can we have this many non-vegans in this thread? Go troll some where else

I use a lot of recipe's from Brenden Brazier's THRIVE books. Lots of great information there. Is anyone else using his books?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=johnbryer;8421355]I'm trying very hard to be vegan. It's not easy. Fake meat does not = vegetarian. I hate that stuff. It's nasty.

How do the vegan's do it when you travel? [quote]

Go to California or Colorado where there are options in actual restaurants.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    The longer you are use to a vegan diet the easier it will become. I was in Finland this summer and that was a little difficult. Almost every meal is meat or fish and its very hard to read ingredients. I eventually found food but the trip was far from a culinary delight.

I also think it's reasonable to make some exceptions. Bear Grylls is actually a vegan when he isnt in survival mode I heard. If I was doing a crazy adventure tour in an undeveloped area I might allow myself to eat something dairy or egg based to sustain myself until I got back to where I could buy something vegan. I wouldnt be happy about it but my personal survival comes first.

Having said that, I have been vegan for going on 10 years and have not eaten any animal products except for minor accidents where something was prepared wrong. So although I am prepared for those situations they dont seem to happen a great deal.

Gigantic Hawk
    danguskhan- Curious, when you had your 'minor accidents,' did it make you sick?

I ask because I have some friends that have been able to switch back to eating meat without any issues, and some that haven't. I know if I eat food (been a vegetarian for 16 years) that has meat grease (fats) in it that I'm in for an uncomfortable evening.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

banned

This stuff is the closest to a chicken soup analogue I've seen in a while (but I'm open to suggestions about others). It's a little on the salty side though.
    When not having a homemade poultry, beef, fish, ham, lobster, or vegetable stock handy, I like this brand; no MSG, and can be had in organic, Kosher, vegan, and low salt varieties. The regular bases do not have a salty taste to begin with...

Name:  chicken.gif
Views: 368
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  vegan base.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  15.0 KB

Dubthang: I was vegan for three years and really hardcore about it( i.e. not even eating red dye #40, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3 etc. because they are animal derived) and when I started to eat dairy again I had no adverse effects. To be incredibly fair though, I think my stomach is actually made out of lead lined cast-iron. I can eat things that make you mere mortals sick and be fine. I'm awesome like that.

JohnBryer: I would-- a lot of the times-- end up not eating out when I traveled( in country) and just go to a grocery. It sounds lame because the idea of travel is to experience new foods and cooking styles but whatever. You could just "suspend" your diet for travel duration. It's a self-imposed diet restriction for moral/ health reasons, so just lift the ban for travel. All your HxC Vegan friends may frown on that but screw them, they're *******s anyway.

I hate fake meats too. Have you tried the ToFurky Sausages? They are they only "meat" product I eat. They have an awesome taste and are even better when thrown over some coals. Add on some Inglehoffer Stone Ground Dijon Mustard, sauerkraut, ketchup, dill relish, Veganaise on the bun and holy crap, I'm in heaven.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    danguskhan- Curious, when you had your 'minor accidents,' did it make you sick?

I ask because I have some friends that have been able to switch back to eating meat without any issues, and some that haven't. I know if I eat food (been a vegetarian for 16 years) that has meat grease (fats) in it that I'm in for an uncomfortable evening.
    When I get something that has dairy in it I can tell. It has never settled well with me even before I was vegan. So I will sometimes feel a little off if that happens.I dont really get sick. I can just tell by the way I feel.
    Usually when a restaurant slips up and I dont notice until I am eating it I dont have much of a problem. I just ask them to correct the problem and they do. I dont usually get sick from this either. For the most part I have an iron gullet so I dont pay to heavily for kitchen slip ups.

mtbr member
    Dubthang: I was vegan for three years and really hardcore about it( i.e. not even eating red dye #40, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D3 etc. because they are animal derived).
    Red 40 is actually vegan. There is a bit of an urban legend that it contains carmine coloring which is made of beetles (check your ruby red grapefruit ). However it is mostly mineral derived is my understanding. Its probably not at all good for you but it is not animal in origin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As a long time vegetarian-of one sort or the other-, with plenty of veg friends and veg and vegan associates, I truly appreciated this clip/movie

Scott Pilgram Vegan - YouTube

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BsslVeL3mtM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    Red 40 is actually vegan. There is a bit of an urban legend that it contains carmine coloring which is made of beetles (check your ruby red grapefruit ). However it is mostly mineral derived is my understanding. Its probably not at all good for you but it is not animal in origin.
    I just read something about this on producers of Red 40 going back to beetles because it was cheaper. The article wasn't about vegans, but actually about people with allergies. I wish I could remember where I saw that so I could dig it up.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

AZ
    banned
    I just read something about this on producers of Red 40 going back to beetles because it was cheaper. The article wasn't about vegans, but actually about people with allergies. I wish I could remember where I saw that so I could dig it up.

Wiki:

Was red food coloring made from beetles' wings

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Maybe it's carmine that I was reading about. Thanks for the link.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    Its something that I've heard numerous times from legit vegans and veggies. I have just never found anything to show that any of red 40 is non-vegan.
    I hope they never start to include carmine cause red 40 finds it's way into a lot of stuff.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    Your body needs animal bits to survive.

Ask yourself this - if you get stranded on an island, or in the middle of a lush forest, would you survive eating only vege stuff for weeks/months? Hint: you won't.
    The first statement is incorrect. As to the hypothetical question, the answer is MAYBE. It depends on what vegetation is available on the island.

There are quite a few foods that are vegan and provide ALL of the essential amino acids a human needs to survive. Or combine a couple different foods that together cover the essential amino acids.

I'm no vegan, just somebody who doesn't like the propagation of incorrect "facts".

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    The first statement is incorrect. As to the hypothetical question, the answer is MAYBE. It depends on what vegetation is available on the island.

There are quite a few foods that are vegan and provide ALL of the essential amino acids a human needs to survive. Or combine a couple different foods that together cover the essential amino acids.

I'm no vegan, just somebody who doesn't like the propagation of incorrect "facts".

From Livestrong on the subject of essential amino acids.

"Vegan Protein Foods
    Vegans can obtain all the essential amino acids to make a complete protein in two ways. The first way is by eating plant-based foods that contain complete protein, such as soy and quinoa. Soybean is a legume and is among the most popular foods worldwide. Soybean is high in protein and equivalent in protein quality to animal foods. Soy foods include tofu, soy milk, tempeh and miso. Quinoa is a seed with a grainlike look and texture that contains all of the essential amino acids.

The second way is by combining foods that contain incomplete proteins but which together provide enough of the essential amino acids to complement what's lacking in the other incomplete protein-containing food. Beans, peas, seeds, nuts, grain and vegetables are sources of incomplete proteins. Complementary proteins are two or more sources of incomplete proteins which together contain all the essential amino acids in proper proportions. Complementary proteins include whole-wheat bread and peanut butter, rice and beans and beans or peas and corn."

As can be seen in the article it is possible to get the needed amino acids, it just requires a bit more planning.

mtbr member
    No, seriously, being stranded on an island (or deep forest) your primary goal would be to find a soy farm? Or to find couple of food types to combine into full protein dish? Where is that magical place?

Look, guys, I do not doubt vegan diet can give your body all the nutrients the body needs. I am saying that to achieve that you are dependant on supermarkets which have food which comes from different places, maybe even different climate zones.

Think small - think, what if I am really stranded on an island where there are only couple of types of vegetables, some fruit, and coconuts. Closest soy farm is 3000 miles away. Fishing is your only option (molluscs, seaweed, ...).
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

Gigantic Hawk
    I'm pretty sure that my biggest concern would be to find water before I found food if I was on an island. After that, I'd think, "Wait. Why the hell am I trapped on an island? Oh, I'm not because that's not ever going to happen."
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

nocturnal oblivion
    I fail to see the point of the island argument. Yes, a meat diet is more sustaining; That however does not make it healthier.
    Best food if you were stranded on an island? Milk.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

banned
    Nov 2011
    After that, I'd think, "Wait. Why the hell am I trapped on an island? Oh, I'm not because that's not ever going to happen."
    Who knows? You could one day end up like Tom Hanks in Castaway.

mtbr member
    Oh you guys, and your literal comprehension of world.

First, I was implying that vegans have specific set of rules which inhibits them to attend any "out-of-the-ordinary" "out-of-their-comfort-zone" stuff. I have asked numerous times some of my vegan friends to go hiking (a few days trip) with me, or to go to some place wild, or whatever, and the first answer is always - "do they have vegan restaurant/food there?". Of course on the bloody mountain they do not have vegan restaurant. You will eat delicious bacon and beans and barbecued wildlife and you will like it. Any weird location freaks them out.

Second, I believe this is a public album, you do not need Facebook account - this is me on a small island in the middle of Pacific:

Man from the wild | Facebook

I have spent 6 months there. There is _NO_ variety of protein available to vegans there. Seafood is a must.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."

AZ
    banned
    Oh you guys, and your literal comprehension of world.

First, I was implying that vegans have specific set of rules which inhibits them to attend any "out-of-the-ordinary" "out-of-their-comfort-zone" stuff. I have asked numerous times some of my vegan friends to go hiking (a few days trip) with me, or to go to some place wild, or whatever, and the first answer is always - "do they have vegan restaurant/food there?". Of course on the bloody mountain they do not have vegan restaurant. You will eat delicious bacon and beans and barbecued wildlife and you will like it. Any weird location freaks them out.

Second, I believe this is a public album, you do not need Facebook account - this is me on a small island in the middle of Pacific:

I have spent 6 months there. There is _NO_ variety of protein available to vegans there. Seafood is a must.

Wow, one guy on an island and it makes being a vegan unsustainable. Congrats, your changing the world.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Wow, one guy on an island and it makes being a vegan unsustainable. Congrats, your changing the world.
    No, but it serves as an example that vegans are pretty much dependent on the supermarket being around the corner.

There is a reason why there are no vegan or even vegetarian civilizations and cultures found in the world, except our First World Civilization which can just pop by local supermarket and buy some food supplements.

On the other hand, I really ADMIRE vegan folks who live on farms and can eat what they grow with their own hands.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."

AZ
    banned
    No, but it serves as an example that vegans are pretty much dependent on the supermarket being around the corner.

There is a reason why there are no vegan or even vegetarian civilizations and cultures found in the world, except our First World Civilization which can just pop by local supermarket and buy some food supplements.

On the other hand, I really ADMIRE vegan folks who live on farms and can eat what they grow with their own hands.

Your last statement nulls your first. Just sayin....

Gigantic Hawk

Props to you on your island adventure. That is really cool.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

Gigantic Hawk

India has a population of over a billion people, and 1/3 of them are vegetarian.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ho boy...

When I clicked this thread, I knew it'd be chock full of super cool and witty responses like "people eating tasty animals" and "for every animal you don't eat, I'll eat three". Not only are you guys super smart, you're original, too. Why are you guys wasting your time here when you could be out setting the world afire with your brilliance? I think Adam Sandler has a few openings in his writing staff for "Jack and Jill 2".

In all seriousness, I adopted a vegan diet late 2009 and stuck with it. My weight has gone down while my strength and stamina have gone up. I never get sick anymore.

Make of it what you will.

mtbr member
    Seitan, a wheat gluten meat, was developed by Buddhist monks over a thousand years ago. Supermarket not required. All you need is flour.
    Also, you can be a healthy vegan w/o any fake meats. If you are in a rediculuous island situation you can either plan for it (if its a vacation). Or be reasonable and eat what it takes to survive until you return to civilization. Veganism is largely a response to inhumanity in industrialised food systems anyways. You don't find them on tiny bits of land floating in the south pacific.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast