Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Right on.
    Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll probably need a "Vege Meals for People Who Can't Cook Worth a Crap" book too... Any suggestions? Or any decent books on the subject. I saw something calle The China Study. I'll probably pick that up.
    I should probably google more, and let you guys get back to arguing haha

Jeez internets. Ruin my life why don't ya?
    Last edited by monzie; 08-16-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

bikeboatbrewski
    My wife fixed tomato pie last night, I never heard of it and was quite skeptical. Man was it good. We eat veggie meals a couple times a week. Love this time of the year for the fresh stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    need 5 posts to make a thread. i like vegies, but i also like meats. and various other foods. plus i like pizza

Vegan cycling gear. The website VegWeb is a good resource for recipes but is hit or miss since it is user run and the recipes are all home brewed ideas from said users. Also, Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a podcast vegan cooking show and her books are full of rad recipes( "Veganomicon", "Vegan with a Vengeance" and "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World"). A few more cookbooks: "Hot Damn and Hell Yeah" and "Please Don't Feed the Bears"; there's a zine called "Barefoot and in the Kitchen".

I posted this already. Sorry to repost it everyone but I think it may have gotten lost in the point/ counter- point discussion that is currently in progress.

Hope this helps dooder( dozicusmaximus).
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    As much as I hate saying it( and will most likely get flack for saying it): Wal- Mart now carries organics and some other health foods; for cheap. So does Target and there's less of a stigma shopping there for some reason. Bulk dry goods at Whole Foods are cheap as all get out too. You just have to plan your meals out so you have them( the dry goods) soaking the night before you want to make them for dinner. Also try your farmers market, they usually have produce from your surrounding area and it might be organic, farmers just can't afford the FDA fee to have that stamp, just talk to the farmer. The prices may be a little higher than you want but still competitive with the grocery. Most times it ends up being cheaper( at least here in Raleigh).
    Whole Foods tends to have the best price on bulk quinoa. The farmer's market here in Portland, ME, produces some killer tomatoes. Local farmers are def. one of the best ways to get quality food. Plus, your money is directly helping some great people.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Dion hope you have had Tofoo Com Chay Pho. Ben's is the best, but he will be closed 22-29.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Just wear HEMP, but most is too warm for the summer.
    The only disqualifier I eat is cheese, I gotta cut the cheese! Without cheese there is no pizza.
    Ahhh, pizza! I made my first one the other day:

Bob's Mills wholewheat pizza mix, and follow the directions on the pack. I use Chia seed soaked in water instead of eggs as the binder, and when I first cook the dough, I sprinkle a good amount of fresh chopped garlic onto the crust before putting it in the oven. Then take it out after about 9 mins and spread your choice of organic tomato sauce. I use Muir Glen roasted garlic variety, (I like garlic), then cover with grated raw goat milk cheddar. This is expensive, but I like pizza and value my health. then put whatever veggies you want on, peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach, anchovies if you want, whatever, and cook for another 18 mins or so.

Voif**kingla! As good as any I have had anywhere. Add jalopenos, peppercinis, whatever takes your fancy...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    It doesn't. If you think a fake meat or cheese substitue tastes exactly like the real thing, you've been vegi/vegan for too long.
    I've seen many passionate meat eaters tricked by fake meat. I don't think its likely to work for all styles of meat, but ground beef, processed chicken, and some others can be very convincingly imitated.

And for the people who don't understand why fake meat exists, I think you can probably imagine some good reasons why a vegetarian would go for fake meat, but you'll have to be willing to think.

Bandolero

One Hit Wonder

I hate being late to a crap-fest thread but no vegetarian thread should go into the bucket without New Age Girl by Dead Eye Dick.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sEDw9xgSmSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Bonus points for
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    Those fake chicken nuggets have fooled many of my friends. The only 'fake' meat that I eat nowadays is Gimmelean (makes great burgers) and Smartdogs. Once in a great while, I'll grab a package of fake turkey slices, or Morningstar Farms crumbles.

Seitan, beans, rice, etc is often used in place of meat in many of my recipes.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

I use tempeh like it's going out of style. brown it in butter/ margarine with veggies( if you want) and then add a sauce of your choosing to the pan, reduce sauce. It's not that elaborate but a good sub for a protein. And I use quinoa a lot too though I have like zero recipes for it and end up with the same curried quinoa and lentils dish all the damn time.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin

Quinoa?

I've never heard of Quinoa (and I thought I've eaten everything plant related). Do you use it as a rice or potato, or is it in a class of its own?

It's a pseudocereal. And one of the only complete proteins that come in grain form. it cooks like a rice. Same water to grain ratio and cook time. In your meals it's super versatile. eat cold with black beans chopped bell peppers and other produce and spices or hot with lentils and chickpeas. look at my previous posts for some good recipe resources with this awesome foodstuff.

Also, it comes in two varieties regular white and red( I think they call it Inca). The red is more expensive though.

High Desert MTBer
    Lots to do with Quinoa... it is almost a grain, very similar altho not really. It is related to beets I believe, and is a good digestible substitute for rice, potatoes, pasta etc. I prefer the red variety, altho the regular is easier to find. There are a gazillion ways to incorporate it into dishes: great with stir fries, curries, even cold for breakfast with fruit.

Gigantic Hawk
    Like said above, quinoa is very versatile. It can also be toasted before it's cooked to help bring out its flavor. I love it in burritos.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

banned
    Very popular grain used by many of the indigenous peoples of Peru and Bolivia.

Quinoa can do! Woo!

Yes, I've had a wee bit to drink,

mikeb
    i am a die-hard meat eater but i support vegetarian/vegan lifestyles. i live in the bay area. that's the way it is.

but...show me a veggie burger that's as good as a real burger and i'll be your friend for life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quinoa is a grain with very high protein content. Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I make a salsa with it I just add in some chopped up cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, craisins, tomato and mango.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    i am a die-hard meat eater but i support vegetarian/vegan lifestyles. i live in the bay area. that's the way it is.

but...show me a veggie burger that's as good as a real burger and i'll be your friend for life.
    Betty Burgers veggie comes really close.

High Desert MTBer
    Gotta try the Garden Burger at Astro Burger in Hollywood if you go there... worth a detour...

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Gotta try the Garden Burger at Astro Burger in Hollywood if you go there... worth a detour...
    ASTROBURGER FRIGGIN RAWKS!!!

I remember that the Santa Monica one is not veggie but the Melrose one is....weird.

banned
    We have tried them all; vegan/veggie burghers at home, at local restaurants, at country fairs, commercially pre-packed under a variety of brand names, organic, and some not, and.....

Veggie Burgher
    Name:  vegan-veggie-burger1.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  63.3 KB

while this burgher looks appetizing, and did have some decent flavor,

Kobe Beef Burgher
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-kobe.jpg

this Kobe beef burgher wins out every time.

My family and I just cannot get our heads and tastebuds wrapped around the fact that all this "fake" beef, pork, lamb, sausages, etc. just doesn't cut it. We are a large family, even larger around the holidays, and we are a culture that enjoys good food and the positive social aspect of how good food and drink brings us all together. Serving anything vegan that is not a side dish accompaniment, and as a substitute for a main meat, fish, pork, or poultry dish would be disastrous, at best.

bike rider
    You poor saps:
    Mark's Daily Apple
    Keep the Country country.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    You poor saps:
    Mark's Daily Apple
    Interesting... lots of stuff for sale there, altho there's lots of stuff for sale on vegan/vegetarian sites too. I have no problem with meat eaters, each to their own. BUT, eating meat from the kind of places that the majority of our meat comes from, with the crap that gets put into the animals, does not have any interest for me. I also have a problem killing sentient beings when I do not absolutely have to in order to survive, so I shall continue to thrive on a plant based diet. Anyone who tries to tell me I cannot survive in a healthy way on this diet will not have any influence on me as I am firmly convinced that it is fine. I do not rule out eating meat if I know it comes from a healthy environment. My brother in law in the UK only eats meat of which he knows the provenance. He will go so far as to check beforehand with a restaurant or store that claims to have organic and free range produce, and find out where they get their meat and veg. He sometimes will visit the farm for himself to check, if it's not too far away. Good for him.
    Each to their own. The key, IMO, is a balanced diet with as few additives as possible, as little 'processed' food as possible, and regular exercise. Whether that includes meat or not is up to you.

bike rider
    I do not absolutely have to (eat animals) in order to survive, so I shall continue to thrive on a plant based diet. Anyone who tries to tell me I cannot survive in a healthy way on this diet will not have any influence on me as I am firmly convinced that it is fine.
    You sound like a religious zealot. "Science be damned, I believe this!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    hey me too LOL. awesome. Haters gonna hate
    Me too! We're like a persistent a-hole club or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sitting back and taking in how this thread ended up.

I started it for vegans and vegetarians to share some cool recipes and maybe share some non-skin riding gear. Rather than that making up most of the thread, people who have taken some weird, personal offense to vegans and vegetarians sharing info with each other find it necessary to chime in and tell us how wrong we are for making personal choices.

So, the real question is for those who have wasted so much energy in telling vegans and vegetarians how wrong we are... what's in it for you to do so? All of us are pretty much strangers, we all make our own money and eating a vegetarian or vegan diet probably has absolutely no impact on you.

This thread is not called, "Vegetarians are better than everybody else..." or "Meat eaters are destroying the world..." or "Eating meat is wrong..." but people seem to take it personal when v-peeps want to share some information.

There are lots of things in this world that I'm offended by, but if people want to take part in those activities and it has nothing to do with me... why the f$ck do I care?

Why do you care what I eat? I don't care what you eat! All those bleeding hearts that find it necessary to convert the world to vegan are idiots, and I, personally, am not one of those.

Move along, nay sayers. This thread isn't for you, unless you're interested in some good tasting, non-meat meals... then, by all means, hang out.

I'm pretty stoked to see there are other MTB'ers who have chosen this diet, and I've been reading some good posts from you who have contributed useful info to this thread. Now I am officially fascinated by "Tomato Pie".

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dion- I hear you. Like I said, I am not a vegetarian, but my wife is. As such, I have grown to greatly enjoy full vegetarian meals, and I eat meat about 20% as much as I used to. Wife and I discovered this one this week... along with grilled sriracha basted tempeh it was pretty damned good.

Recipe 1: Cajun Butternut and Black Eyed Pea Saute'

1/2 medium onion
    3 clove garlic
    3 slices bacon (Morning star fake bacon and 1 tbs. of butter)
    1 can (about 16 ounces) black-eyed peas
    5 cups diced butternut squash (Takes 1.5-2 squash)
    1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend
    1 finely chopped bell or anaheim pepper (seeded)

Peel and finely chop onion and garlic. Cut bacon in 1/2-inch pieces. Drain and rinse black-eyed peas. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Add onion to bacon drippings; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add squash, pepper, black-eyed peas, seasoning blend and 3/4 cup water. Cover and cook, stirring often, until squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir cooked facon in and serve.

Active time: 15 minutes.
    Total time: 20 minutes.
    Servings: 4

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    You sound like a religious zealot. "Science be damned, I believe this!"
    Far from a religious zealot. And there is a lot of science to support my belief. I would never damn science, I just cannot be bothered sometimes to respond to some of the idiotic things that people try to get me to believe. I have been on this earth long enough, have read and experienced enough to have a pretty f**king shrewd idea what works and what does not.

mtbr member
    Far from a religious zealot. And there is a lot of science to support my belief. I would never damn science, I just cannot be bothered sometimes to respond to some of the idiotic things that people try to get me to believe. I have been on this earth long enough, have read and experienced enough to have a pretty f**king shrewd idea what works and what does not.
    The key to any diet is knowing the nutritional content of the food and making informed choices--proper nutrition can come from a variety of sources. Science suggests that the average North American diet consumes more protein than is actually needed. Science is telling me that my liver produces a lot of LDL, which could lead to heart disease, a major killer in North America, if left unchecked over time. Eating a different diet lower in fatty meats (fish excepted) and exercise, like riding my MTB, can help mitigate this risk. Other people don't have such difficult livers; its why I punish mine a little with the ethanol! Teach it a lesson

Not that I don't love me a steak, and that my current job is due in large part to the Canadian beef industry. I just can't eat a steak or pulled pork very often. And its definitely not my place to tell someone to replace their poutine with a salad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As a fellow V-peep, I encourage you to ignore the nay-saying regarding our diet choices. I tell people I'm a vegetarian and they look at me like I have AIDS.

Then the questions come up, "How do you get your protein?" and "Don't you feel weak?" and or "Science has proven we need meat..."; sometimes I get the "I knew a guy who was vegetarian and he still ended up dying..." That one always makes me laugh.

I feel like the crying, bleeding hearts and Hollywood types have ruined it for folks like me. I can't tell somebody I'm a vegetarian without somebody getting butt hurt over it, and I'm not even preaching. The only thing I'm really "left leaning" is in regards to the environment (because I'm a mountain biker and I like my trails to be green and pollution free) and humane animal treatment (because I'm a mountain biker and I love animals). Aside from that, I'm pretty Right leaning. But the moment you say, "No thanks... I don't eat meat." people act like you flung poo at them.

My wife tells me to not even bring it up because people are so sensitive over it and get offended. Makes absolutely no sense to me why that is - if somebody told me they don't eat broccoli - I just wouldn't give a sh*t.

small member
    Jun 2006
    I don't eat broccoli.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    I'm totally with you. When I decided to go vegetarian, it felt like I was coming out of the closet to my parents and friends. Of course the first Thanksgiving at home was awkward: That day my family looked at me-afraid if they grabbed a drumstick I'd go into paroxyms throwing myself onto the dining room table grabbing my chest only to steal off with the turkey carcass to give it a proper burial.

I remember someone asking what is the purpose of tofurkey. Besides being quite good (if prepared right), it's almost a psychological/gustational olive branch. Thank god whiskey is vegetarian as well, or I would never survive the holidays.

banned
    I don't know about anybody else, but I see too much drama and poor, poor me developing here. I had no idea going meatless results in all this angst. Me thinks I'll stick with what I know.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    I don't know about anybody else, but I see too much drama and poor, poor me developing here. I had no idea going meatless results in all this angst. Me thinks I'll stick with what I know.
    I've read the posts and they don't sound particularly "angsty." But that's a common meme when talking about/referring to vegetarians. Put up an innocuous topic wanting to share vegetarian/vegan recipes and eats and non-vegs can't wait to post opposing views and carcasses. Thank goodness no one has started a "I like live kittens" thread, I shudder to think of the posts for that one.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    Science suggests that the average North American diet consumes more protein than is actually needed. Science is telling me that my liver produces a lot of LDL, which could lead to heart disease, a major killer in North America, if left unchecked over time. Eating a different diet lower in fatty meats (fish excepted) and exercise, like riding my MTB, can help mitigate this risk.
    That "science" is old and proven wrong. Read marksdailyapple.com and watch Fat Head on Hulu or Netflix. I don't care how other people want to live. I just feel bad for people who are misinformed (like I was for 29 years) and making bad choices because of it. I tell people once about this stuff, encourage them to research it, and leave them alone.
    Bye.

mtbr member
    Yeah alright, thanks for that? I've adjusted my diet thanks to the recommendations of the Mayo Clinic and American Heart Association, but I'm sure this fellow flogging his own diet and wares must know better than evidence based medicine. I'll take a look, but I'll also be double checking claims against PubMed.

ETA: or I just got trolled. Dunno.

Gigantic Hawk
    Science tells me not to eat brightly colored frogs, centipedes, and milkweed. I'm sure there is somebody out there that will tell me different, but I'm sticking with science on this one.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    Yeah alright, thanks for that? I've adjusted my diet thanks to the recommendations of the Mayo Clinic and American Heart Association, but I'm sure this fellow flogging his own diet and wares must know better than evidence based medicine. I'll take a look, but I'll also be double checking claims against PubMed.

ETA: or I just got trolled. Dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Science tells me not to eat brightly colored frogs, centipedes, and milkweed. I'm sure there is somebody out there that will tell me different, but I'm sticking with science on this one.
    Rick Perry be damned.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I eat the meat of vegetarian animals...
    I only eat grass, milk, and beer fed (I know, I know, that meat & dairy thing) anti-biotic and hormone free, and Kosher butchered Black Angus and Wagyu cattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    Quinoa is a grain with very high protein content. Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I make a salsa with it I just add in some chopped up cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, craisins, tomato and mango.
    Besides tasting great, it needs to cook for only 20 minutes. Last night I cooked up a pot of quinoa with some amaranth (just to be über indigenous). Tasty.

nocturnal oblivion
    I only eat grass, milk, and beer fed (I know, I know, that meat & dairy thing) anti-biotic and hormone free, and Kosher butchered Black Angus and Wagyu cattle.
    That sounds good. Ever notice how much faster organic milk spoils compared to regular milk?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Kosher butchered is some of the most inhumane butchering of them all. If I ate meat I'd rather not have its throat slit until it bleeds to death. A shot to the head would be more humane.

In the midst of math and searching I forgot who I originally intended this to be response to. However, here goes:

Number of hits, search term and their percentage of total thread count on this site.

197 vegan (.027%)

68 vegan diet (.009%)

11 vegan recipes ( .001%)

3 vegan diet recipes (.0004%)

All this out of 711,177 threads. No quotations around any of them. These percents may be wrong when you read this since new threads are started all the time. That big number is what the count was at when I did the math.

So not that much in the way of being a... I forget what was actually said, something about the threads becoming angsty when this diet is brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    ah, the vegan/vegetarian vs meat eater threads. always the best ever. here we go now!
    Honestly this wasn't directed at you. But, in response to this post: It was never intended to be "that type" of thread. It was intended to be a place to swap recipes and resources; maybe the occasional witty banter. Simple as that. However I guess these things devolve quickly on the internet due to stigmas surrounding an apparently unmentionable diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Well, my thread went to sh*t.

Terribly sorry about this bit here. Now it seems this is unfortunately destined for the recycle bin. But, in the interest of getting this thread back on track and being helpful to some folks:

Two more good resources:
    "Becoming V3gan: The complete guide to adopting a healthy plant- based diet"
    By Belinda Davis, R.D. and Vesanto Melina, M.S., R.D.

It should be your diet bible if you go this route. They also have one called Becoming V3getarian for those who still want dairy.

"V3gan on the Cheap"
    By Robin Robertson

For all you Brokely Carmichael's out there( me included).

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    That sounds good. Ever notice how much faster organic milk spoils compared to regular milk?
    Yes, and that's because so-called "organic" milk doesn't have to travel long distances to your store shelves....milk that travels is boiled and cooled to death so that it has a longer shelf life. Heat and cold damage to milk is why milk doesn't taste anything like the milk I remember from the 60's.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AptosRider View Post
    Kosher butchered is some of the most inhumane butchering of them all. If I ate meat I'd rather not have its throat slit until it bleeds to death. A shot to the head would be more humane.
    You need to read up a bit more about Kosher butchering (Shechita) before you make that claim. A "shot to the head" as you call it, is called "stunning" where a bolt is shot into an animal's head rendering it unconscious before the actual slaughtering. Unfortunately, and as many animal rights groups have complained about, too often, animals regain consciousness while their throats are being cut, therefore subjecting the animal to pain and suffering. The Kosher method renders an animal permanently unconscious at the very time it's being slaughtered.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    ^(wouldn't it just be easier to ignore posts like this?)^

Now back to regular scheduled programming...

So, I went for a 10 mile ride yesterday when the munchies hit. Barring the obligatory dried fruit/granola fare, whatcha guys packin' for ya snackin'?

Quote Originally Posted by longfinkillie View Post
    ^(wouldn't it just be easier to ignore posts like this?)^

Now back to regular scheduled programming...

So, I went for a 10 mile ride yesterday when the munchies hit. Barring the obligatory dried fruit/granola fare, whatcha guys packin' for ya snackin'?
    Dried fruit and granola. Hehe. Also, baked potato with some fixin's( butter or substitute, a few slices of avocado, cheese or nutritional yeast, whatever else you want on it). Bag of mixed nuts( almonds, walnuts, cashews, sometimes Brazil nuts and maybe some pistachios). Peanut butter and banana sandwich with honey/ agave nectar. Vegetable juice.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast