Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Ramp Local
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo View Post
    Dharma's in Capitola ... excellent eats after a good ride. Decent beer on tap too.
    +1 for Dharma's. Asian Rose is my favorite place in Santa Cruz. I also love the Kung Pao tofu at The Golden Buddha.

Awesome! Totally awesome!
    Jan 2004
    I've been vegetarian for five years. I eat dairy occasionally.

I eat better. My palate has grown more sophisticated and has dived deeper into different cultural dishes than ever before. I've learned how to prepare food, not just reheat/grill it.

I feel better. Everyday. Period.

I live better. I like knowing that my choice(s) help support "better" options in terms of Green business and agriculture.

I also own a gun, but I'm not a member of the NRA or PETA. Quite simply, I cannot support views I perceive to be extremist.

I support ethical hunting. Nothing is more "'American'" than killing an animal and serving it to family and friends for dinner.

Veganism as a culture is probably even more annoying to veggies than it is to carnivores. I hate being lectured on going vegan by someone drinking a dollar beer and smoking a cig. Hope onto your damn fixie and ride away, Sir!
    "Gimme a pack of 'low birth weights.'"

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Vegetarian here. Been one for 16 years. I don't do it for the animals. In fact, I hate animals. I hate them so much I won't even put them in my mouth.
    I can't believe somebody gave me a neg rep over a bit of humor. Almost makes me want to stop being a vegetarian and become a cannibal.

mtbr member

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post

The dog is wondering if he's next.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    ^^Oh yeah?^^

Take this!

Why do people assume that if they throw up pictures of dead animal, we're going to run back into the brush screaming?

Life on a Sandbar
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I can't believe somebody gave me a neg rep over a bit of humor. Almost makes me want to stop being a vegetarian and become a cannibal.
    Me too; some dildo dooosh nozzle with a cowardly axe to grind didn't like my post on bacon flavored formula....says to post elsewhere and that it was off topic. Sad to see so many doped up dopes.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the tips...In Santa Cruz next Thursday and Friday so hope to check out Asian Rose. Dharma's for sure...

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    When I ran cross country in high school my coach was a vegetarian and insisted that we give it a try. I tried it for a month and hated every second of it. I felt weak and my running suffered a lot. Now that I know more about diet and nutrition I'm sure I was doing it all wrong. Not enough variety or calories. Now it would be nearly impossible for me try to be a vegetarian if I had the desire to. Being in the Army you pretty much eat what the hell they give you when your in the field or deployed.

PS if you neg rep someone and don't have the stones to put your name behind it you are nothing but a spineless little b*tch

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longfinkillie View Post
    These are hilarious! (See, even vegetarians have a sense of humor)

BTW we even have our own vegan soundboard

As far as PETA goes:

would you dare eat a steak in front of her?

Funny that Pamela Lee is vegan, shes had more meat in her than Burger King.

Life on a Sandbar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    When I ran cross country in high school my coach was a vegetarian and insisted that we give it a try. I tried it for a month and hated every second of it. I felt weak and my running suffered a lot. Now that I know more about diet and nutrition I'm sure I was doing it all wrong. Not enough variety or calories. Now it would be nearly impossible for me try to be a vegetarian if I had the desire to. Being in the Army you pretty much eat what the hell they give you when your in the field or deployed.

PS if you neg rep someone and don't have the stones to put your name behind it you are nothing but a spineless little b*tch
    Of which there are too many to count.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    Of which there are too many to count.

Yeah we get it, you don't like the neg rep you get, no one cares anymore because you pollute every single thread with this bs.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Yeah we get it, you don't like the neg rep you get, no one cares anymore because you pollute every single thread with this bs.

Well done (pardon the pun) golf clap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Funny that Pamela Lee is vegan, shes had more meat in her than Burger King.
    YEAH!

mtbr member
    learn how to make your own seitan. there are two methods, boiling and baking. I prefer to bake mine. yummy stuff if you spice it right.

being vegan for the last 10 1/2 years has been working for me. however, I have learned to keep out of internet discussions because people get really defensive and rude. so that's all I will add to it. if you want to ask me about vegetarianism, recipes, etc, PM me. i won't waste my time playing games with rednecks who don't understand or respect my choices.

mtbr member
    @Daemon I was a raw vegan for two years and took maca, vitamin c, msm which in the long run aren't that many supplements and I was at my peak. Don't make statements like that unless you've tried it.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    I lived on an island in the Pacific for 6 months living of what I can catch.

Long story short, unless I ate fish or shells, I could not lift a finger. You cannot make a good living (have energy) eating only fruit and vegetables even tho lush Pacific islands have abundance of them. You just cannot.

Need proof?
    This is not really a valid argument in the light of what we are discussing. I truly believe that you CAN get enough nutrition in our society from a plant based diet to be able to support any strenuous activity and to live a much healthier life. If you are stuck on a desert island or similar, then by all means eat whatever you can get your hands on if that is all there is. However, we do have the ability to get all kinds of healthier options today that do not necessarily include animal products. People do thrive on this diet. There is plenty of proof of this if you care to look at the remote possibility you might be mistaken about this.
    Also, to the spineless muppets who insist on giving out bad rep with foul language and no name, have the courage to voice your beef in public. Pardon the pun...

mtbr member
    Vegan Gyro. Very good.

Seitan Gyros

AZ
    banned
    I've tried and will continue to try. Have given up beef completely, still eat fish, eggs, chicken once in awhile. Almost completely dairy free, I think that the reduction in dairy has been the biggest improvement for me.

mtbr member
    Dairy was the easiest for me once I learned that milk has pus in it...
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    ... Almost completely dairy free, I think that the reduction in dairy has been the biggest improvement for me.

I think many people would find this true if they gave it a chance. I'm not dairy free (because I have a love of cheese,) but I feel better when I eat less dairy. People generally become lactose intolerant as they get older. There's no point in forcing your body to try to breakdown things it'd rather not have in it in the first place.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sexy Beast View Post
    Source?

"i think that's what happens" does not count as a reliable source.
    I'll see what I can find. I know it has a lot to do with a person's ethnic background, but I'll search.

Gigantic Hawk
    Developmental causes of lactose intolerance

The most common cause of lactase deficiency is a decrease in the amount of lactase that occurs after childhood and persists into adulthood, referred to as adult-type hypolactasia. This decrease in lactase is genetically programmed, and the prevalence of this type of lactase deficiency in different ethnic groups is highly variable. Thus, in Asian populations it is almost 100%, among American Indians it is 80%, and in blacks it is 70%; however, in American Caucasians the prevalence of lactase deficiency is only 20%. In addition to variability in the prevalence of lactase deficiency, there also is variability in the age at which symptoms of lactose intolerance appear. Thus, in Asian populations, the symptoms of lactase deficiency (intolerance) occur around the age of 5, among Blacks and Mexican-Americans by the age of 10, and in the Finnish by age 20.

It is important to emphasize that lactase deficiency is not the same as lactose intolerance. Persons with milder deficiencies of lactase often have no symptoms after the ingestion of milk. For unclear reasons, even persons with moderate deficiencies of lactase may not have symptoms. A diagnosis of lactase deficiency is made when the amount of lactase in the intestine is reduced, but a diagnosis of lactose intolerance is made only when the reduced amount of lactase causes symptoms.

Lactose Intolerance Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment on MedicineNet.com

Other links,
    Lactose intolerance: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    Prevalence, Age & Genetics of Lactose Intolerance
    and of course, Wiki... because if it's here, it's true...
    Lactose intolerance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mikeb
    ice cream made from coconut milk is actually quite good!

Ramp Local
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    ice cream made from coconut milk is actually quite good!
    Yup! Sorbet also fills the Ice cream void well. My fav is Jamaican me crazy from Ben & Jerry's

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast