Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 573
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Daemon[CRO]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    349
    Ah, vege people. How wrong you are about your diet, it's incredible.

    Every cell in your body is a product of millions of years of evolution. Evolution which consisted of our ancestors eating meat. Your body needs animal bits to survive.

    You think that just because someone invented food replacement items they are good for you? That because you decided to go against the nature your body will rapidly shed millions of years of need&want in favor of your forced diet?

    Fun fact; no human society / tribe living out of the food they can produce or hunt is vege. Even if they are expert agriculture society, and even if their diet consists mostly out of vegetables and fruit, they will either hunt for fish or other animals to boost their diet.

    Vege type of diet is only possible because your food ("food") is readily available in the next supermarket.

    Ask yourself this - if you get stranded on an island, or in the middle of a lush forest, would you survive eating only vege stuff for weeks/months? Hint: you won't.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    82

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: square's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post


  4. #29
    Life on a Sandbar
    Reputation: TraumaARNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Carnivorous vegan here; vegy diet supplemented with hefty side dishes of beef, pork, poultry, and fish.

  5. #30
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Okay all you fellow hippies, check in here. Share recipes and other BS, tree-hugger stuff - ethical cycling gear (non-skin) perhaps?

    By the way, do I still get to be part of the club if I'm a strict vegetarian (for ethical reasons) yet have a gun collection and a proud member of the NRA?
    my wife is vegan... i'm slowing moving over to the vegetarian. it is a real challange to cook for a vegan. i find that it is making me a better cook and understanding flavors and textures in food. one of the lucky things of the area in which we live is that there is
    a large population of people from all over india. so we have a great slection of vegetarian resturants, ingredients, etc...

    going to try some of this, in homemade vegan sushi rolls

    Vegetarian caviar food fit for a pauper
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-13-2011 at 06:15 AM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

  6. #31
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    Ah, vege people. How wrong you are about your diet, it's incredible.

    Every cell in your body is a product of millions of years of evolution. Evolution which consisted of our ancestors eating meat. Your body needs animal bits to survive.

    You think that just because someone invented food replacement items they are good for you? That because you decided to go against the nature your body will rapidly shed millions of years of need&want in favor of your forced diet?

    Fun fact; no human society / tribe living out of the food they can produce or hunt is vege. Even if they are expert agriculture society, and even if their diet consists mostly out of vegetables and fruit, they will either hunt for fish or other animals to boost their diet.

    Vege type of diet is only possible because your food ("food") is readily available in the next supermarket.

    Ask yourself this - if you get stranded on an island, or in the middle of a lush forest, would you survive eating only vege stuff for weeks/months? Hint: you won't.
    I don't even think I could say this reply is poorly researched, I don't even think it is researched at all! Sounds a lot like opinion to me, and we all have a right to our opinion. Please do not try to dress it up as 'fact'.

  7. #32
    Gnarly
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Well, my thread went to sh*t.

    I have no problems with hunters who eat what they kill. Like I said, I'm a proud NRA member and a conservative leaning.
    I'm a life long vegetarian and now vegan (former roadie and now addicted to dh), My husband (a long time cyclist and now dh'er) is not vegetarian but is slowly converting. He likes to do most of the cooking and has experimented with food combinations that provide optimum nutrition (without the extra empty calories), to convert to energy.

    I've rarely have a proplem with bonking on long rides, I' m strong enough to ride advanced technical trails.

    Please keep this thread alive. There are vegetarians.vegans on MTBR and some who are contemplating a vegetarian (meat-free) diet and would appreciate the imput and experiences from others.
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 08-13-2011 at 05:29 PM.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by simpterfex View Post
    Did you know some bacon bits are vegan!
    Bacos are made from Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP). Invented by a prof still at Stanford, he made a buck or two.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

  9. #34
    DynoDon
    Reputation: manabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,667
    I haven't eaten red meat in 45 years, I do fish and eat fish, some dairy, I'm still able to bounce back from crashes, and do a good job at the races, I ride 50 to 100 miles a week on trails, my pre ride meals are oatmeal with lots of berries/banana, or 40 oz. smoothies with everything in the fridge in them,
    I ride the 18.6 mile Potawami trail in Michigan, 2 to 4 times a week, best time 1 hr 42 min, its one of the hardest trails in the area, I'm still improving, I'm only 65 yrs old, I hope to be doing this for a few more years, I don't take any meds, my standing heart rate is 50 bpm.
    I don't know if not eating red meat has helped me, but I don't think its hurt me.
    See you at the races/trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

    Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

  10. #35
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    I haven't eaten red meat in 45 years, I do fish and eat fish, some dairy, I'm still able to bounce back from crashes, and do a good job at the races, I ride 50 to 100 miles a week on trails, my pre ride meals are oatmeal with lots of berries/banana, or 40 oz. smoothies with everything in the fridge in them,
    I ride the 18.6 mile Potawami trail in Michigan, 2 to 4 times a week, best time 1 hr 42 min, its one of the hardest trails in the area, I'm still improving, I'm only 65 yrs old, I hope to be doing this for a few more years, I don't take any meds, my standing heart rate is 50 bpm.
    I don't know if not eating red meat has helped me, but I don't think its hurt me.
    See you at the races/trails
    We might disagree on motorcycles Manabiker, but not on diet! I have never been a big meat eater, but recently have cut out dairy, refined sugars and flours as much as possible, and base my intake on plant-based rather than animal based products. I try and eat foods that are clean and as raw as possible. I also juice every day. There is a lot of evidence that this is a healthier option for us, but I realise that people will disagree. I have suggested elsewhere that the movie "Forks over Knives" outlines a great many of the benefits such a diet has for us, and how many of the current poor health issues in the 'developed' world would be minimised if we were to follow these guidelines. Incidence of diabetes, obesity, heart disease, some cancers and many other conditions would be drastically cut, and people suffering these afflictions would see a great improvement in their conditions if they maintained this healthier eating habit.
    I am not saying that meat does not have a part of any diet, but my choice is to not have it if given the option. All the other cr*p that gets put into our food is mostly to blame for ill-health. I ride a lot, up to 2 hours off road each day when I am home; I am 55 years old, 6' tall and in the last few weeks have trimmed down to 175 Lbs from a lifelong fluctuation between 185 and 195. I have a lot of energy too, sleep well, and generally feel bloody good... That is all the evidence I need to eat healthy.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nikojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    561
    I was raw vegan for awhile and then university happened. I'm trying to get back into it. It's like a drug, you feel sooo much better about everything and just in general happier. Also if you have the will power to go raw vegan you can just about do anything.

    If you need a quick snack try kelp chips, dehydrated if you are rv or just baked if you're just a vegan or vegetarian.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

    Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

  12. #37
    DynoDon
    Reputation: manabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,667
    Below this informative video is a place to put your zip code, to find good food and eat well... from places near you.. family farms etc...

    http://www.themeatrix.com/
    Four wheels transport the body,

    Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

  13. #38
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,875
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    Below this informative video is a place to put your zip code, to find good food and eat well... from places near you.. family farms etc...

    http://www.themeatrix.com/
    Cool, thanks, I had not seen this one. I did try the search for local restaurants tho, and it returned 6 local Chipotle Grills! (Amongst some other places too). Something I should know?

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    Ah, vege people. How wrong you are about your diet, it's incredible.

    Every cell in your body is a product of millions of years of evolution. Evolution which consisted of our ancestors eating meat. Your body needs animal bits to survive.

    You think that just because someone invented food replacement items they are good for you? That because you decided to go against the nature your body will rapidly shed millions of years of need&want in favor of your forced diet?

    Fun fact; no human society / tribe living out of the food they can produce or hunt is vege. Even if they are expert agriculture society, and even if their diet consists mostly out of vegetables and fruit, they will either hunt for fish or other animals to boost their diet.

    Vege type of diet is only possible because your food ("food") is readily available in the next supermarket.

    Ask yourself this - if you get stranded on an island, or in the middle of a lush forest, would you survive eating only vege stuff for weeks/months? Hint: you won't.
    If the S hit the fan, I have lots of guns and ammo and I will gladly kill an animal for food, as will my vegan wife.

    And you you assume that people who eat meat don't eat it out of luxury? Quite the opposite. A meat centric type of diet is only possible because meat ("food") is readily available in the next supermarket - the world is full of p*ssies who couldn't kill, skin and cook an animal for food with their own hands.

    This is why I respect and support hunters - these people actually have a relationship with their kill. It's a far cry from some fat lady with diabetes in a moo-moo ordering up 3 Quarter Pounders with Cheese with a milkshake at McDonalds.

    Hunters don't let their kill suffer. The death is generally swift and most hunters will pride themselves on a good, fast kill. The meat industry - they don't care if an animal suffers.

    We don't live in a apocalyptic society. We live in a rich society that allows us options. I'm a vegetarian because I don't vibe with the ethics of the meat industry. I support small farmers (who sell meat, too), fishermen and hunters. Also - all my stomach issues have gone away - doc says I'm "healthy as a horse".

    I'm not one of those bleeding heart liberals throwing paint on fur coats. I hate those causes and they don't do a good job in promoting vegetarianism as an option.

    The best compliments that I receive is "You are a vegetarian? How do you stay so muscular?"

    I ride 100 miles a week (MTB) and race cyclocross on a veggie diet, throwing in weight training in there. This diet sucks

  15. #40
    Gigantic Hawk
    Reputation: dubthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,228
    Vegetarian here. Been one for 16 years. I don't do it for the animals. In fact, I hate animals. I hate them so much I won't even put them in my mouth.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pleepleus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    390
    I'm a supporter of PETA.

    PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

  17. #42
    mikeb
    Guest
    i know a lot of people who were vegans/vegetarians but somehow returned to their meat-eating ways. bacon was usually their "gateway meat'...

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stnewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    74
    Funny, I was eating a cheeseburger when I opened this thread.

  19. #44
    Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Reputation: longfinkillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    288
    These are hilarious! (See, even vegetarians have a sense of humor)

    BTW we even have our own vegan soundboard

    As far as PETA goes:

    would you dare eat a steak in front of her?

    Or keep up with Sally Hibberd?


    Regardless we do love our epic meal time
    Last edited by longfinkillie; 08-13-2011 at 12:48 PM.

  20. #45
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,791
    I've been a vegetarian (ovo lacto) for 8 years, but I really don't care what anyone else eats. It's a personal choice, and I won't claim that it's any better or worse than anyone else's dietary choices. The preachy comments from either side bore me, although I can still appreciate a bit of good-natured humor from either viewpoint. Eat whatever you want.

    Couple of misc. comments;

    - "Replacement" foods from grocery store are not needed. Lots of easy ways to get protein out of standard whole or near-whole sources. Sightly more thought required on this item for full vegans as opposed to vegetarians, of course.

    - I'm no world class rider, but I have won multiple 24-hour solo races during these 8 years. Being a vegetarian isn't a limiter on physical ability or performance in my experience.

    - I enjoy my food, it's tastes, textures, and scents. I'm not fighting off any complusion to eat meat, nor do I miss it. Nuff said.

  21. #46
    Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Reputation: longfinkillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    288
    totally forgot about VBMC


  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Daemon[CRO]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I don't even think I could say this reply is poorly researched, I don't even think it is researched at all! Sounds a lot like opinion to me, and we all have a right to our opinion. Please do not try to dress it up as 'fact'.
    I lived on an island in the Pacific for 6 months living of what I can catch.

    Long story short, unless I ate fish or shells, I could not lift a finger. You cannot make a good living (have energy) eating only fruit and vegetables even tho lush Pacific islands have abundance of them. You just cannot.

    Need proof?
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Daemon[CRO]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    . We live in a rich society that allows us options. I'm a vegetarian because I don't vibe with the ethics of the meat industry. I support small farmers (who sell meat, too), fishermen and hunters. Also - all my stomach issues have gone away - doc says I'm "healthy as a horse".
    I agree. Meat industry sucks, and they mistreat animals. But if I stopped eating and drinking and using stuff which came from such conditions, I'd basically stop existing. Do you agree with sweatshops? With people working 18h for 1$ to bring you that iPhone?

    I respect vege people just for the fact they are disciplined. That being said, I hate them because they are a pain in the ass. Wherever we go as a group of friends, that place needs to have their food. It's basically impossible to coexist in a group with you folks. The demands, the drama (not all vege dramatise, but I have seen them acting like bloody Jehova Witness).

    What I know firsthand is that some of my friends who used to be vege, switched back to meat, or at least to birds (poultry?). Hardships of mountain biking were too great. And it is too complicated to get all the required replacement food. So they just went normal diet.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

  24. #49
    Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Reputation: longfinkillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    ...Hardships of mountain biking were too great. And it is too complicated to get all the required replacement food. So they just went normal diet.
    That's too bad. These athletes didn't give up so easily:

    Carl Lewis-Vegetarian


    and this guy...


    Except for the occasional opponent's ear...


    and to prove we're not just pretty...

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    I lived on an island in the Pacific for 6 months living of what I can catch.

    Long story short, unless I ate fish or shells, I could not lift a finger. You cannot make a good living (have energy) eating only fruit and vegetables even tho lush Pacific islands have abundance of them. You just cannot.

    Need proof?
    why are you generalizing like this, it shows your ignorance... i go on fruit and vegetable ONLY diets at least once a week out of every month, eating nothing but raw fruits and vegetables, and I can say that my energy levels are HIGHER than when i eat cooked/processed foods. I ride, run and lift at the gym every day...

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any vegetarian riders out there?
    By stumblemumble in forum Nutrition and Hydration
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM
  2. My Dog Is Now A Vegan?
    By Dirdir in forum Arizona
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
  3. Vegetarian
    By hdo_1975 in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 08:52 AM
  4. Anyone here a Vegetarian or Vegan?
    By DownHillFast in forum Arizona
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 10:02 PM
  5. Vegan SS?
    By bigboarder1 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •