Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Training for the Darwin's
    I think if it's animal free, it's probably more accurately referred to as meat-like protein. I applaud the effort, especially if it tastes okay. I'd start with bacon.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I've had a can in my Go Bag for a while now for emergencies, and just ate it last weekend at the trail head between rides. It is awesome! Already cooked, ready to be eaten. I love not having any food prep out the trail or while camping.

Also had the TJ's dahl mahkani which had a couple more grams of protein. Both were delicious and I'll be grabbing some more to take on weekenders from here on out!

*Edit: Oh, and coming from an Indian food lover, they are legit tasty

Name:  chana-masala.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  61.3 KB

9 lives
    ^ ha looks good, chillis! Thanks for the taste test
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    I have never eaten at Taco Bell, but I want to share some interesting info about the chain's vegetarian promotion

Fast-food chain Taco Bell is promoting a https://www.tacobell.com/feed/how-to-eat-veggie guide to its nearly two million Twitter followers. The eatery created a vegetarian menu—the first fast-food chain to receive American Vegetarian Association approval—earlier this year due to rising customer demand. In its guide, the company pointed out meat-free options to make it even easier for customers to order. “Taco Bell sells 350 million vegetarian items a year,” the company says, “and about seven percent of all items ordered at Taco Bell are either vegetarian-friendly or made vegetarian-friendly by substitution or removal.” Taco Bell is among several chain restaurants looking to increase their popularity with the growing vegetarian and vegan demographic. Subway introduced vegan protein patties last year, while Wendy’s began testing a new veggie burger at select locations nationwide.

Sauce: Taco Bell Promotes Meat-Free Guide
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-13907160_844856665644975_6500806355519927062_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Interesting article about Clean Meat.

How to Feed Ten Billion: Lab-Made 'Clean Meat' Burgers are Future of Food

Posted on Reddit. I also found the comments generally positive

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/...de_clean_meat/
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Here’s How To Pick The Perfect Watermelon Without Cutting It

#1. Pick a dull looking watermelon

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-pick-watermelon.jpg

A shiny appearance indicates an under-ripe melon.

#2. Look for the field spot

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-how-pick-watermelon-001.jpg

The yellow spot, known as the field spot, is a creamy spot on the melon, and it’s where the watermelon was resting on the ground. The field spot should be a yellowish creamy color as shown here.

#3. Look for ’webbing’

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-how-pick-watermelon-002.jpg

These weblike brown spots on the watermelon mean that bees touched the pollinating parts of the flower many times. The more pollination, the sweeter the fruit is.

#4. ’Boy’ and ’girl’ watermelons

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-how-pick-watermelon-003.jpg

Many people do not know that farmers differentiate watermelons by gender. For example, ’boys’ are bigger, have an elongated shape, and a watery taste. The ’girls’ have a rounded shape and are very sweet.

#5. Pay attention to the size

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-how-pick-watermelon-004.jpg

It is better to choose neither the largest nor the smallest watermelon. Select an average-sized fruit. And note, please: large or small, the watermelon should feel heavy for its size.

#6. Inspect the tail

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-how-pick-watermelon-005.jpg

A dried tail indicates that the watermelon is ripe. However, if the tail is green, it probably means that the watermelon was picked too soon and will not be ripe.

Sauce: Here's How To Pick The Perfect Watermelon Without Cutting It
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Boost Your Performance! 3 Vegan Foods that Really Work

You’ve probably heard certain foods and drinks can boost athletic performance.

Coffee, for example, makes you run faster, and tart cherries reduce inflammation.

Researchers are finding that what you eat can actually boost cardiovascular efficiency, hasten recovery time, and increase immunity against common exercise-induced illnesses.

3 Foods to Boost Athletic Performance

1. Beets

Not to state the obvious, but oxygen is important during exercise. As we breathe, our blood carries the oxygen throughout our bodies to working muscles that helps us run, ride, or lift heavy things.

Limit the oxygen, and you limit your exercise performance.

But reduce the physiological oxygen “cost” — or how quickly your body uses oxygen — by improving cardiovascular function, and you perform better with the same level of effort.

So how can you reduce your oxygen cost?

Studies show an inexpensive root vegetable — the one commonly credited with making your pee turn red — can help.

Beets contain high levels of nitrates, which help dilate our arteries and improve overall cardiovascular function, thus allowing for more oxygen delivery to our cells.

A recent study found that a group of cyclists regularly drinking beet juice could perform an exercise task with 19% less oxygen as compared to the placebo group. ARTICLES | Journal of Applied Physiology

How to Use It: Drink one to two glasses of raw beet juice 45 minutes to an hour before a workout. No juicer? We recommend Skoop’s Ignite Performance Beet Blend for a powdered version, or adding three whole cooked beets — which will provide the same benefits — to a salad or stir fry.

2. Nutritional Yeast

Moderate exercise is known to strengthen immune function, even reducing sick days by up to 25 to 50%.

Unfortunately, anyone who’s run a marathon or ultra will know that participation in sustained, high-intensity exercise can do the opposite. Instead of strengthening, the stress on your body can impair immune function and increase the rate of upper respiratory infections.

When faced with a weakened immune system, you could just wolf down packets of Emergen-C and hope for the best, or you could turn to the cheesy-ish powder you’ve probably thrown on salads.

According to a 2010 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition, nutritional yeast can protect against exercise induced dip in immunity.

As expected, the study found that cyclists who endured a high-intensity bout of exercise showed a corresponding decrease in circulating white blood cells.

But when the same athletes added just ¾ of a teaspoon of nutritional yeast per day to their diets and were tested again, they actually showed better immune function after the test than when they started.

So does better immune function actually translate to less illness in athletes?

You bet it does. A 2009 study published in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine found that marathon runners who took roughly a spoonful of nutritional yeast per day were able to cut their rates of upper respiratory tract infections in half.

And a nice little bonus: those same runners also reported feeling less confusion, fatigue, tension, and anger; and more vigor and energy.

How to Use It: Add 3/4 of a teaspoon of nutritional yeast per day to any food that would benefit from the addition of a savory, cheesy flavor: stir frys, salads, grains, potatoes, pasta dishes. You name it.

3. Watermelon

Exercise, especially at high intensities, causes acute muscle damage and inflammation. That’s what leaves your muscles sore and tired the next day.

And while a certain degree of damage is essential for stimulating muscle growth, too much will impair the healing process.

Enter natural antioxidants. Research has found that antioxidants — specifically those found in watermelon — are powerful anti-inflammatory agents for athletes, reducing free radical production in the body and improving the rate of recovery.

A 2013 study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that a group of men who drank fresh watermelon juice before hard physical activity were significantly less sore 24 hours later as compared to a placebo group.

All from just two cups of the delicious, refreshing fruit.

How to Use It: Drink one to two cups of watermelon juice before your run/ride or add two slices of the fruit to your post run smoothie.

Small Changes, Big Impact
    As athletes, we’re constantly searching for the next great supplement or quick performance boost.

But we’re starting to uncover that many of the foods we all have access to — and in many cases, already eat — can have a massive impact on our athletic performance when used strategically.

If any of the three foods above aren’t part of your daily routine start adding them in one at a time, tracking any changes that take place.

Over the course of a few months, you may find these simple plant-based foods become invaluable staples for optimizing you next training cycle.
    Sauce: Boost Your Performance! 3 Vegan Foods that Really Work | No Meat Athlete
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

When Vegans get into an argument, is it still a "Beef?"
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Evolutionsverlierer
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    When Vegans get into an argument, is it still a "Beef?"
    I think it is called getting into a "tofu!".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

9 lives
    Good one guys!

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-download.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    THE VEGAN DIET OF AMERICAN OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTER KENDRICK FARRIS

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-kendrick_farris_main_0.jpg

Team USA’s lone male competitor has already set the American record in the 94kg weight class. With a combined personal best of 377kg in the snatch and the clean and jerk, the 29-year-old Louisiana native also holds the 94kg American record. Now, as he goes for gold in his third Olympic Games, Farris credits his all-vegetable diet with making him stronger, leaner, and more focused than ever.

“When people think about particular diets, they often think about it in terms of what they can’t eat,” Farris says from Rio, where he’s preparing for the final competition in the 94kg lifting class. “People ask me, ‘Do you walk around and eat salads all day?’ I actually don’t even eat salads that often. But I like to think of it as having a lot of options. There are a lot of things you can eat.”

Instead of strict limitations, Farris follows a few simple rules: He eats when he’s hungry. He eats what makes his body feel good in training. And he aims for a broad range of vegan-friendly foods.

WHAT DID YOU EAT BEFORE BECOMING VEGAN?

I ate whatever I wanted. I was obsessed with knowing how much protein I was getting. “How much protein is in this? How much is in that?” That was my mindset. A lot of burgers. I was not thinking according to the Biblical commandments I subscribe to now.

AFTER YOU SWITCHED OVER, DID YOU NOTICE A CHANGE IN HOW YOU FELT?

Now, my body recovers a lot faster. I feel lighter. My mind is a lot more clear. I feel I can focus a lot better—not that I wasn’t a focused individual before, but now I feel like I’m totally locked in.

WHAT ARE YOUR GO-TO FOODS?

Black beans. I like to make a trail mix with almonds, cashews, and pistachios. I drink a lot of water with some lime mixed in. I eat a wide variety of fruit—grapefruit is one of my favorites, and I love blackberries and blueberries.

I love avocados. Those are my favorite. My wife makes avocado “quesadillas,” which I’m a fan of. And guacamole—I love guacamole.

She also makes a spinach lasagna that’s really good. If she makes a pan, I’ll eat the whole pan.

ANY QUINOA OR LENTILS—THOSE KINDS OF POPULAR VEGETARIAN PROTEIN OPTIONS?

I actually don’t eat too much quinoa or lentils. But I’m not opposed to eating any type of food if we have it and it’s an option.

ANY SUPPLEMENTS? PLANT-BASED PROTEIN, ANYTHING LIKE THAT?

I do have some, but I don’t have any go-to supplements. I’ll use them here and there. But I like to see how my body feels. I’m excited to keep an eye out for new plant-based proteins.

HOW MUCH FOOD DO YOU EAT EVERY DAY?

I don’t actually eat that much. Honestly, I just eat when I’m hungry. I don’t count calories. I don’t do any of that stuff.

DO YOU TRACK YOUR PROTEIN INTAKE?

Not really. I’m not certain how much I get every day. It’s more important for my body to feel good. If I feel good, then I can do whatever workout I set out to do. So my job is to gauge how I feel.

You could say to yourself, “Well, I get X amount of protein.” But the real question is how you feel when you consume that, because training and recovery have to be at the top of the list. Sometimes we focus so much on training that we overlook the recovery, and that’s how you overtrain or, in some cases, undertrain. It’s about finding balance.

DO YOU HAVE A SET SCHEDULE FOR WHEN YOU EAT? OR IS THE TIMING BY FEEL, TOO?

I think it’d be hard for me to stick to an eating schedule. I could make a schedule, but it would be hard. “Eat this at 2 p.m., eat that at 4 p.m.”—that’s not me.

I’m a snacker at heart. I can really snack away. So I don’t force big meals.

SO YOU DON’T GO INTO EACH DAY WITH ANY SET PLAN?

No, not really. My only real rule is to eat when I’m hungry. This morning, I drank some lime water—I drink a lot of that—but I hadn’t eaten even by 1 pm Rio time. Maybe I’ll eat in the next hour. Most likely, I’ll have some grilled vegetables, vegan bread, pasta, maybe see what they have in the salad bar.

I’ll eat anything I can get my hands on, as long as it’s vegan. For example: I’m a burger guy. So when I’m at home, I’ll make patties with mushrooms and rice patties. It comes down to flavor and texture, and what people are accustomed to. Honestly, if I grill up those, they have that familiar flavor and texture like beef patties. You can replace it, and it can taste amazing, and be better for your body—it’ll help with recovery, reduce stress and inflammation in the body.

We shouldn’t get so caught up with "protein, protein, protein." Because you can get an excess of protein, and most of it just gets passed through the body.

DO YOU VARY YOUR DIET ACCORDING TO YOUR TRAINING AND COMPETITION CYCLES?

Oh yeah. My training weight is a few kilos above my competition weight. Training is a little bit of a “survival” mentality. It can really put you into the ground. Training can make you tired, and it can give you the feeling that you’re having negative days.

But with competition, I get a lot of rest days, so there’s no need for me to pile up the food. Number one, I don’t have the desire to eat that much, and number two, I don’t want to put too much weight on me.

DO YOU EVER HAVE CHEAT DAYS? VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT?

I don’t like sweets too much. What’s sweet for me is really trail mix, fruit, stuff like that. To me, a cheat day is eating a lot of food. Eating that whole pan of lasagna? Oh man, that’s a cheat day for me. Maybe some cereal. I can put that down with some almond milk.

Sauce:
    The Vegan Diet of American Olympic Weightlifter Kendrick Farris
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Odd conversation today at lunch. One guy's asking another "Are you a Vegetarian or a Vegan." Guy number two "I just don't eat any kind of meat, fish, eggs or dairy." Guy one, what's the difference between that and being a Vegan?" Guy number two "I tell people what I am, a Vegan would." Seems like an odd answer, but hey, whatever he's comfortable with I suppose. Personally I'm not much for labels anyway.

9 lives
    Good eats this weekend

Zimbabwean snacks. They had a kale carrot pie on the menu. (vegan) Delish!

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14040055_1798262437084866_7437270919235730411_n.jpg

Over to Kensington Market : Chris is having a vegan cornbread and carrot cupcake

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-dscn2284.jpg

Then over to chinatown where there was a street festival. There was much fish and squid.... but also some interesting veggie snacks

Potatoes and Yams
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14040167_1798264370418006_6553191761037076603_n.jpg

Twisted into street eats corkscrews!

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14045988_1798263497084760_9181230131832498048_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Here’s How To Pick The Perfect Watermelon Without Cutting It

Sauce: Here's How To Pick The Perfect Watermelon Without Cutting It
    Thanks so much for this guide! My wife & I love watermelon but we just sort of gamble with what the rind looks like and are always saying "oh this one was sweeter and softer!" and "this was more bland, didn't care for it". Now I have some trials to go thru to find a method to watermelon-picking madness.

9 lives
    Dancing veggies wow crowd at Olympics closing ceremony

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-vegnews.olympicveggies.jpg

At the closing ceremony of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazilians showed off their diverse musical talent and dance moves—including a large choreographed number with dozens of people dressed up as brightly-colored broccoli, bell pepper, raspberries, and other edible plants.

Amused Tweets flooded in to #ClosingCeremony expressing admiration (@TaCaGo: “These vegetables are great dancers”), hunger (@clarebalding: “I could really demolish a plate of broccoli now”), and appreciation (@swannsmith: “As we leave Rio, our hosts remind us to eat our vegetables”).

https://www.romper.com/p/are-vegetab...ied-hues-16833
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Best Summer Fruits & Vegetables

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-summerfruits770.jpg

Tomatoes
    This summer vegetable (that’s also a fruit) is the perfect addition to any burger, grilled kabob or salad, and not just for its fresh and tangy taste—tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that helps protect your skin from UV-caused skin irritations like erythema. Tomatoes are also are great source of vitamin C, A and K, and contain high levels of magnesium and potassium, minerals that help with energy metabolism and recovery after a sweaty workout session.

Red or orange bell peppers
    Red and orange produce—like sweet and spicy bell peppers that are ready for harvest in the summer—contain high levels of beta-carotene, which has been linked to lessening the effects sunburns by providing the body with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits. Red and orange peppers are also high in vitamin C, which can help keep summer colds at bay.

Cucumbers
    Cucumbers are a hydrating summer vegetable that gives a refreshing twist to any salad, sandwich or spa water. Cucumbers have a high water content, so they make an excellent snack if you’re trying to beat the heat and stay hydrated. Cucumber is rich in potassium, magnesium and vitamin K, a key component in bone health that can help prevent fractures.

Watermelon
    Nothing is as refreshing and satisfying on a hot summer’s day than biting into a big, juicy slice of watermelon. Watermelon can be considered the ultimate summer fruit, containing high levels of lycopene for skin protection, water to keep you hydrated, and vitamin C and A to help boost your immune system.

Berries
    Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries -- which start coming into season as soon as the temperature rises and are available all summer long – are packed with flavonoids that provide antioxidant benefits. Numerous studies have shown berries can help with everything from keeping your memory sharp and your gut healthy to lowering your blood pressure and decreasing your risk of cancer. These sun-kissed summer snacks are great on their own or on top of salads and sorbets.

sauce: Get Out There : Best Summer Fruits & Vegetables
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Crabapples are dropping (Spotted during my ride)

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14192014_1801860753391701_3437129370118187773_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Wild Blueberries from our recent trip to northern Ontario

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-13903153_1790684474509329_4013169375571936241_n.jpg

Name:  13903304_906347649494244_8816451852783782662_n.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  27.3 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Abstract

Background: Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States. Dietary factors account for at least 30% of all cancers in Western countries. As people do not consume individual foods but rather combinations of them, the assessment of dietary patterns may offer valuable information when determining associations between diet and cancer risk.

Methods: We examined the association between dietary patterns (non-vegetarians, lacto, pesco, vegan, and semi-vegetarian) and the overall cancer incidence among 69,120 participants of the Adventist Health Study-2. Cancer cases were identified by matching to cancer registries. Cox proportional hazard regression analysis was conducted to estimate hazard ratios, with “attained age” as the time variable.

Results: A total of 2,939 incident cancer cases were identified. The multivariate HR of overall cancer risk among vegetarians compared with non-vegetarians was statistically significant [HR, 0.92; 95% confidence interval (CI), 0.85–0.99] for both genders combined. Also, a statistically significant association was found between vegetarian diet and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract (HR, 0.76; 95% CI, 0.63–0.90). When analyzing the association of specific vegetarian dietary patterns, vegan diets showed statistically significant protection for overall cancer incidence (HR, 0.84; 95% CI, 0.72–0.99) in both genders combined and for female-specific cancers (HR, 0.66; 95% CI, 0.47–0.92). Lacto-ovo-vegetarians appeared to be associated with decreased risk of cancers of the gastrointestinal system (HR, 0.75; 95% CI, 0.60–0.92).

Conclusion: Vegetarian diets seem to confer protection against cancer.

Impact: Vegan diet seems to confer lower risk for overall and female-specific cancer than other dietary patterns. The lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets seem to confer protection from cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev; 22(2); 286–94. ©2012 AACR.

full article/study sauce Vegetarian Diets and the Incidence of Cancer in a Low-risk Population

I repeat :

F*ck Cancer
    Eat your veggies
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 09-03-2016 at 05:38 AM.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Name:  13412888_618473794993345_3582044670629693000_n.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  81.6 KB

Lifting heavy things seems to go hand-in-hand with chowing down on hefty amounts of steak (or chicken breast, if you’ve got to make weight). But there’s no law saying “If Thou Liftest Weights, Thou Must Eat Meat”.

So let’s explore the realities of being a vegetarian strength athlete. Including the answer to that annoying question: “but where do you get your protein from?”

What do strength athletes need from their diets?

Strength athletes benefit from a varied diet with a range of protein sources, to ensure complete protein intake across the day or week. Protein is made of 22 amino acids, some of them essential (we must get them from our foods or supplements) and some non-essential. Animal protein is a complete protein (it contains the full spectrum of amino acids) whereas plant-source protein is incomplete. This means that vegetarians will have to combine their protein sources with a bit of extra planning to get all the amino acids they need to support muscle building and strength training. Macronutrients are important, but so are micronutrients and fiber, and a well-designed healthy vegetarian diet will give you plenty of those!

Does a vegetarian diet limit strength or mass building?

There is no evidence to suggest that removing meat from a person’s diet directly affects muscle gain, muscle retention, strength or power. Anecdotally, vegetarians report having a more varied diet than some meat eaters, as they have to seek variety out of necessity. Vegetarian diets can be cheaper to maintain than a meat-heavy diet. And vegetarian eating could easily contain higher levels of fibre and micronutrients than a diet containing plenty of meat. It’s important that vegetarians take in complete proteins, and this can be more challenging without meat sources.

How to design a vegetarian diet

Getting enough protein as a vegetarian is not difficult, but does take some extra planning because not all vegetarian sources of protein are complete. Eat a wide variety of foods, combine protein sources, get to enjoy home cooking, and you will easily be able to design a tasty and healthy vegetarian diet.

Vegetarian sources of protein

Eggs (whole and whites) – whole eggs are a complete protein source)

Beans and pulses

Split peas and lentils

Nut butters

Nuts and seeds

Protein powders (whey, pea, brown rice, hemp)

Quinoa, cous cous and wild rice

Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, and other high-protein dairy products

Silken tofu

Quorn (mycoprotein) and other vegetarian food products

Don’t forget that there is trace protein in grains, mushrooms, vegetables and leafy greens, too. Using a tracking app will help you get familiar with how much protein is in various vegetarian sources, and help you hit your protein macros for the day.

How to deal with stigma of being a non-meat-eating athlete

As a strength athlete who doesn’t eat meat, you might encounter unwanted comments and opinions about your dietary choices. We’ve heard from vegetarian athletes who have been told they’re not doing everything they can to be their best. Or others who have been told they’ll never meet their potential without meat in their diets. You might be told that you could do so much better at sport if only you’d eat meat. Take heart from the many examples of successful athletes across various sports who thrive on a meat-free diet (often well into their Masters years). It might help to remember that food prep as a vegetarian means seeking out more variety, so you are more likely to pack micronutrients and fiber into your daily diet.
    sauce: Vegetarian Nutrition For Strength Training - Lift Big Eat Big
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    There's nothing wrong with being a vegetarian but including eggs in that above wholly negates the philosophy.

Working at the Co-op in Davis as a kid in the mid-80s made me one for quite some time and I support anyone who chooses it but we need to be realistic.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

9 lives
    ^ I agree unicrown. There is some variants of the vegetarian diet that includes dairy (ie cheese, eggs and milk etc) in the diet.

Being vegan a philosophy and compassionate lifestyle

Wonder if this tat will change to "Vegen" ?
    Name:  13625373_1765146643725719_4252967917780127839_n.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  8.3 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    How to Grow 6,000 Lbs of Food on 1/10TH Acre

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

used to be RipRoar
    Enjoy lurking in here I have to say I'm not vegan or vegetarian but focus on fueling with lots of vegetarian foods. Lately I've been rolling moms hummus into Dino Kale for a trail snack if I'm not going too far.. Similar to a stuffed grape leaf. I like to pop some Kalamata olives in there for some extra tasty goodness. Love crunching on the raw Dino, stem and all.

Currently I have a contract with a Food, Nutritional Supplement and Personal Care products manufacturing company (In the IT realm). I was speaking with one of our Food R&D Scientists about some homemade energy balls I've been playing with. I wanted a better binding ingredient so they stayed together longer. I was thinking brown rice syrup. She looked at me like I was nuts and started to inform me about the "metal loading" in rice and high arsenic levels. Felt like I was living under a rock after doing some reading on the subject.

Other than the crazy arsenic levels in rice products, what I did get out of the conversation was to use a date paste or puree as a sugar substitute and binder agent for these energy balls. Better yet just as a sweetener substituent for many things. Looking for some date paste recipes or uses...gotta love mtbr!

-Adrian

9 lives
    Seeds

Name:  pumpkin seeds.jpeg
Views: 211
Size:  88.4 KB

Pumpkin seeds: great source of iron, which is often depleted in endurance athletes. Also packed with Vitamin E and magnesium which enhances musculature. Opt for the raw and unsalted kind.

Cashews: commonly thought of as nuts, these seeds are high in copper, used to aid the body in absorbing and transporting oxygen to muscles. Also comparatively low in fat.

Hemp seeds: equipped with one of the most complete proteins found in nature, hemp seeds contain all 9 essential amino acids so they’re absolutely fantastic for the immune system.

Flaxseed: High in Omega 3’s, they can help the body become more efficient at burning fat for fuel.

Almonds: studies have shown almond consumption increases carbohydrate oxidation, which is a measure of improved endurance.
    Perfect for mid-morning munchies, an afternoon eat or to spice up a smoothie, these seeds pack a powerful punch in terms of nutritional benefit for endurance athletes.

Sauce:Get Out There : Seeds of Success: Why You Need Them
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Throwback Thursday... when men wanted he-man salads

Name:  13934949_909505512511791_2499441585058862933_n.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  37.4 KB

FYI gelatin isn't vegan
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Throwback Thursday... when men wanted he-man salads

Name:  13934949_909505512511791_2499441585058862933_n.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  37.4 KB

FYI gelatin isn't vegan
    Ah, good 'ol 1950's sexism Though who calls a jello-ish salad a salad anyway?
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

used to be RipRoar
    Any love for the Chia seed? I've been doing lots of Chia pudding with various fruits mixed in...

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Any love for the Chia seed? I've been doing lots of Chia pudding with various fruits mixed in...
    I need to figure out something to make with chia seeds. I know they are super healthy but I just never eat them. I've had chia pudding at a restaurant..and was not impressed, but that was more the lack of sweetness/flavor than the texture.
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

9 lives
    This popped up on my FB page. OMG autumn is coming!

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-pumpkinoats-2.jpg

Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats with Chia

Thick and creamy pumpkin pie overnight oats with chia are a nutritious, healthy breakfast. Top with nuts, maple syrup, cranberries, coconut or whatever your heart desires!

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt (To make this vegan or want this dairy free try using a coconut or almond milk yogurt.)
    1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree (do not use pie mix )
    1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup BetterOats Old-Fashioned Oats/ or other brand
    2 teaspoons chia seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

INSTRUCTIONS

In a medium bowl, mix together greek / or almond or coconut yogurt, almond milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla and maple syrup until well combined. Stir in oats, chia seeds and spices. Pour into a glass jar or container and place in fridge for 4 hours or overnight. Makes 1 serving of pumpkin overnight oats.

Nutrition Information
    Serves: 1
    Serving size: 1 serving
    Calories: 274
    Fat: 6.5g
    Carbohydrates: 42g
    Sugar: 9.7g
    Fiber: 10.3g
    Protein: 14g
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

humber river advocate
    vegan marshmallow treats today...

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-yum.jpg
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

9 lives
    A few more pics from the Toronto Veg Fest (Largest of it's kind in North America)

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14292417_1807889689455474_7605011910254847739_n.jpg

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14317354_1807891879455255_8222215882684915074_n.jpg

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14222237_1807891406121969_7004704106469637981_n.jpg

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14332964_1807891082788668_2516122389980119966_n.jpg

Caribbean lunch
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14224696_1807889889455454_3570491051414986989_n.jpg

Hot day, hot lunch... cool down by the lake
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14222319_1807901926120917_8723049198570374764_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-13770392_1786989864878790_3235159926013093620_n.jpg

Name:  13921129_218877331847510_5970985446970417642_n.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  22.2 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-s7aidav.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    For me, eating steamed brussells sprouts tastes bitter. Cutting them in half, roasting them and partially blackening them with a little olive oil and salt /pepper (and garlic) makes them much more delicious.

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14330033_1266405690070580_6180852658480839162_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Goodbye Summer! Hello Fall! Equinox and pumpkin season

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-109289703pumpkinnews-large_trans-qvzuuqpflyliwib6ntmjwfsvwez_ven7c6bhu2jjnt8.jpg

Pumpkin cultivator Oliver Langheim, nicknamed "Kürbis-Olli" (Pumpkin-Olli) poses next to a giant pumpkin weighing around 550 kilograms at a greenhouse in Fürstenwalde, eastern Germany on September 21st 2016.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

^^Is it too early to start the rant about the term "Pumpkin Spice?"

9 lives
    Ha! I was in Starbucks today and I swear the menu changed from Iced Coconut Milk Mocha Macchiato etc etc to Pumpkin Spiced Latte Frappuccino blended... overnight! Thank goodness my Americano's are available year round
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Brussells Sprouts

Fun fact: Did you know that brussell sprouts are grown on giant stalks? They are then pulled or cut off the stalk.

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14317483_1282680278409162_3754515564548489215_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Maaaaan
    Brussells Sprouts

Fun fact: Did you know that brussell sprouts are grown on giant stalks? They are then pulled or cut off the stalk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14317483_1282680278409162_3754515564548489215_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	1096020
    They aren't grown in Brusselles? Isn't that false advertising?

That guy Olli looks like He's out of his... gourd...
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Brussells Sprouts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14317483_1282680278409162_3754515564548489215_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	1096020
    By stalkers?

9 lives
    Saturday in Toronto Japanese Curry Gushi
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14470597_1813642322213544_4205371612259980947_n.jpg

Big healthy smiles
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14492497_1813643192213457_6509791882588903612_n.jpg

I think these creatures are meant to frighten the trash pandas
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14440751_1813642102213566_1228254779082773496_n.jpg

A nice clean alleyway
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14457287_1813642415546868_6999494075691619549_n.jpg

Zeppelins overhead! Jah! Jah!
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14448765_1813643102213466_1806999458196624509_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Most sugar is charred with cattle bone to whiten and remove impurities. ... But is it organic, gluten free, non gmo, chemical free, low glycemic sugar blessed by a pastafarian-jedi monk?

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14495283_10154683928234180_3475430544706868481_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Name:  14441183_598346913623258_7319605698939472129_n.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  28.7 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Leather Alternatives Predicted to Take Over Sports Shoe Industry

Animal-free products jump to top of the sportswear shoe industry thanks to Nike and Adidas opting for faux leather.

International research firm Technavio’s recent global leather market Report reveals that non-leather materials are primed to dominate the sportswear shoe industry in the coming years. Thanks in part to major brands such as Nike and Adidas—which are consistently opting for animal-free synthetic materials to manufacture their new product lines—consumers are becoming more inclined to purchase faux leather. “As a result of the high prices of raw leather, and the subsequent high prices of the finished products, consumers are now shifting toward the more affordable faux leather goods," lead analyst at Technavio Poonam Saini says. The report further predicts that the use of synthetic materials instead of animal leather is poised for a faster growth rate in the next five years. The same report predicts that leather is still a top-seller amongst the non-athletic segment, however luxury apparel brand Prada reported a 22-percent decrease in sales of its leather products during the first quarter of 2016.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Get to know Apples Part 1

1.Sunrise
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-1-sunrise.jpg

End of August to September
    Sunrise apples have a crisp and juicy texture. Their taste is sweet and mildly acidic.
    Uses: snacking.

2. Honeycrisp
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-2-honeycrisp.jpg
    End of September to April
    A generous size, Honeycrisp apples get their name from their subtle honey notes. Deliciously crisp and juicy, their flesh is cream coloured and doesn’t turn brown very quickly.
    Uses: best enjoyed as a snack, but also suitable for cooking.

3. Jersey Mac
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-3-jersey-mac.jpg
    Mid-August to September
    Fairly large apple with crisp, very firm but juicy flesh. Jersey Mac apples are sweet, mildly acidic and strongly flavoured.
    Uses: snacking or juicing.

4. Melba
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-4-melba-v2.jpg

Beginning of August to September
    Sweet fruit with tantalizing spicy notes. Melba apples have a juicy and tender flesh, but tend to bruise easily.
    Uses: ideal for cooking.

5.Spartan
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-5-spartan-v2.jpg

October to April
    Medium-sized “stocky” apple with a pretty deep red colour. Fairly sweet with medium acidity, Spartan apples are aromatic and exceptionally crisp.
    Uses: snacking or in a pie. Equally ideal for making homemade cider.

6. Paula Red

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-6-paula-red-v2.jpg

End of August to October
    A versatile apple, Paula Red apples have a crisp, juicy flesh. Their taste is rather acidic and moderately sweet.
    Uses: snacking, cooking or juicing.

7. Gala
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-7-gala.jpg

End of September to April
    Gala apples are notable for their smooth skin marked by striped colours. Very firm, juicy and wonderfully crisp, their pale yellow flesh has a very sweet, low acidic flavour. Does not bruise very easily.
    Uses: snacking or cooking.

8. McIntosh
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-8-mcintosh-v2.jpg
    October to June
    One of the most popular varieties in Canada, it is prized for its crisp, very juicy and aromatic flesh. Moderately acidic and not very sweet, McIntosh apples are suitable for all recipes.
    Uses: snacking, cooking, juicing or in cider.

9. Pommettes
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-alaviealamode-natrel-petit-guide-partique-de-la-pomme-9-pommettes.jpg

End of August to September
    Adorable, small bright red fruit that strongly resemble cherries. Their aromatic flesh is very crisp, not very juicy and highly acidic.
    Uses: Superb for jellies and jams.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Know Your Apples Part 2

1. Crab

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-crab_0.jpg

August harvest
    Crab apples look like mini red apples that are best picked when firm and hard to the touch, and sour to the taste.
    Uses: Excellent choice for jams, jellies and ciders.

2. Bramley

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-bramley_0.jpg

August harvest
    Hard and tart, the Bramley is originally from England. This apple has a thin skin so bruises easily.
    Uses: Voted the #1 baking apple by chef Jamie Oliver.

3. Discovery

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-discovery_0.jpg

August harvest
    Originally from England, the Discovery is a summer apple unique for its pink interior colour. Sweet and scrumptious, it is the perfect dessert apple.
    Uses: Enjoy on its own.

4. Gravenstein

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-gravenstein_0.jpg
    August harvest
    Once a popular backyard apple, the waxy summer Gravenstein hails from Denmark.
    Uses: Snacking and making applesauce.

5. Boskoop
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-bookstop_0.jpg

September harvest
    Known for its rough skin and rustic look, the Boskoop is firm and tart, so will retain its crispness and sweeten over time. Stores well in a cool, dry place like a wooden or cardboard box for up to six months.
    Uses: Snacking and baking.

6. Jonagold
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-jonagold_0.jpg
    End of September to early October harvest
    A late season, multipurpose apple that is a cross between a Jonathan and a Golden Delicious. Big and sweet with a thin skin, the Jonagold ripens to a golden-yellow colour.

7. Gloster
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-gloster_0.jpg

October harvest
    A German winter apple that is bright and attractive to the eye. Its dazzling red colour attracts birds. Store 1–2 months in a cool, dry environment.

8. Northern Spy
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-northern-spy_0.jpg

October harvest
    An American apple that deepens in colour once it is fully ripe. The Northern Spy is unique in that it is best picked after a light October/November frost for maximum sweetness and can be kept for up to four months if properly stored.
    Uses: Eating and cooking.

Sauce :Apple-picking season: a handy guide - Part 2 | Natrel | Natrel
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-14492485_1091180880937899_6369306929398640937_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Name:  14449012_10210170857010710_4456594644059346061_n.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  32.2 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies