Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Had a nice 4 + hour ride today, earned my Tofurkey. Holidays are always a tough time for us vegetarians, with family dinners and such. Our plan is to get everyone to go to a restaurant where there is some vegetarian options, that way we don't have to impose on someone to make special dishes or bring our own food. What do you guys do?
    I'm a vegetarian, but I'm not allergic to meat. I don't believe in a religion that forbids eating meat. So, if I eat a bit twice or thrice a year it's not a big deal. From the health aspect and the moral aspect what I do 99% of the year matters more. I'm not going to let my diet choice dictate how I participate in the holidays with my friends and family. I have yet to go to a meal and not find enough vegetarian things to eat to get by. I also try to not make a big deal out of it. If I can select vegetarian items and nobody notices then I feel like I achieved my mission. I sort of treat it like a game. To be honest, people are so worried about themselves few actually pay much attention to what I'm eating unless I talk about it.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

bust a move
    I'm not vegetarian but I have been making healthier food choices and fixing veggie only meals or dinners about 3 or 4 nights a week. Tonight we had a garden salad with roasted butternut squash on the side. The squash came out really good so I thought I would share.

one washed butternut squash cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces put into an oven roasting pan
    enough olive oil to coat maybe (3 to 5 tablespoons)
    1 tablespoon steak rub & appx. 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    drizzle small amount of maple syrup (sorry no measurement)
    Mix spices and squash pieces until well coated
    Bake uncovered in preheated 375 degree oven for appx. 20 min. then cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until done.

It is a little bit sweet and savory too. Next time I will add a few crushed red pepper flakes

edit: The steak rub is also good on roasted potatoes
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 11-26-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Ive been vegi for about a year and vegan for 5 months. For me, its not about the animals, its about my health. I try to eat raw a lot as well.

Since Ive changed my eating habits Ive been stronger on the bike and my recovery time has greatly improved. The meals are excellent and its been a fun change.

This was my first T-giving with no meat and it went excellent. We made a black bean quinioa salad, mashed sweet potatos, mac and cheese, and a field roast bought at whole foods.

The mac and cheese was a hit with our 2 boys. We used elbow rice noodles and the cheese was a blend of cashews and nutritional yeast and a few others things, a small amount of sauteed kale and smoked spanish paprika. Everything turned our really well.

The best part is we all ate a ton of food but I still felt good afterward. Nothing like I use to feel after eating a traditional Thanksgiving meal.
    Last edited by trap121; 12-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    I'm a vegetarian, but I'm not allergic to meat. I don't believe in a religion that forbids eating meat. So, if I eat a bit twice or thrice a year it's not a big deal. From the health aspect and the moral aspect what I do 99% of the year matters more. I'm not going to let my diet choice dictate how I participate in the holidays with my friends and family. I have yet to go to a meal and not find enough vegetarian things to eat to get by. I also try to not make a big deal out of it. If I can select vegetarian items and nobody notices then I feel like I achieved my mission. I sort of treat it like a game. To be honest, people are so worried about themselves few actually pay much attention to what I'm eating unless I talk about it.
    ^^^^This

I just couldn't refuse christmas eve sushi, it was a yearly splurge. But I could easily pass on the same prime rib (which I never liked) on christmas proper. Passing on turkey was easy too, same turkey every year. I made something vegan to bring, it escapes me what exactly I brought... maybe a desert? I know I splurged and ate vegetarian instead of vegan during family dinners. My first thanksgiving away from the family, I made a full vegan feast. It was great when I made all the rules

I got razzed by the family for eating sushi but not beef, or a piece of pie but no ice cream. But just don't let it bother you. For special occasions, and in small amounts, it won't hurt you, is tasty, and makes the family happy to see you eat the food they slaved over. Keeping them guessing is good for them anyways, makes them more tolerant for future gatherings.

Just like Asmodeus said, don't make a big deal about it, eat a nice selection of vegetarian sides, and politely decline the roasted animal of the night. I knew when I went into it, trying to get my family to change anything would only make dinner hostile. So, I changed for them on those nights, and dinner was pleasant. Everything else was the same level of suck, but that never has anything to do with what I choose to eat.

It is more about getting the family together than properly feeding everyone anyways. The feeding is just the excuse to force everyone to sit down together.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Can't rep you again so soon, so I'll just post to say

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    ^^^^This

I just couldn't refuse christmas eve sushi, it was a yearly splurge. But I could easily pass on the same prime rib (which I never liked) on christmas proper. Passing on turkey was easy too, same turkey every year. I made something vegan to bring, it escapes me what exactly I brought... maybe a desert? I know I splurged and ate vegetarian instead of vegan during family dinners. My first thanksgiving away from the family, I made a full vegan feast. It was great when I made all the rules

I got razzed by the family for eating sushi but not beef, or a piece of pie but no ice cream. But just don't let it bother you. For special occasions, and in small amounts, it won't hurt you, is tasty, and makes the family happy to see you eat the food they slaved over. Keeping them guessing is good for them anyways, makes them more tolerant for future gatherings.

Just like Asmodeus said, don't make a big deal about it, eat a nice selection of vegetarian sides, and politely decline the roasted animal of the night. I knew when I went into it, trying to get my family to change anything would only make dinner hostile. So, I changed for them on those nights, and dinner was pleasant. Everything else was the same level of suck, but that never has anything to do with what I choose to eat.

It is more about getting the family together than properly feeding everyone anyways. The feeding is just the excuse to force everyone to sit down together.

Good luck
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

bust a move

Roasted tomato passion

I was served roasted tomatoes with fresh mozzarella slices and garlic toast as an appetizer years ago in a small Atlanta bistro. I remarked to the owner how awesome it was and she invited me back into the kitchen to show me how to make them.

I usually pick up 3 to 5 lbs of ripe tomatoes. My local produce stand almost always has a decent selection of reduced ripe tomatoes, when they don't I usually pick up roma/plum tomatoes. I use a mandolin slicer to keep the slices uniform (if the tomatoes are very soft you will want to slice with a knife). Preheat oven to 350 degrees, you will need a couple or three cookie sheet pans, go ahead and either spray with cooking oil or use olive oil to coat pans prior to placing sliced tomatoes in pans. Place tomatoes in pans, then I sprinkle with dried basil flakes, generic italian seasoning mix and lightly with garlic salt. Drizzle a bit more olive oil on tomatoes and place in oven. After about 15 minutes reduce heat to appx. 275/300 and begin to watch the tomatoes but be careful when opening oven as steam will pour out of oven and can burn your face. It helps if you turn them with a spatula near the halfway point. It is a process and takes a time or two to perfect but imo the end product is worth the time. I took pictures at 4 different points in the process. The concentrated flavor is far superior to sun dried tomatoes (which I like too) and they are great added to many things like salads, pizza or just eaten alone...yum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-sam_2184.jpg  

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-sam_2185.jpg  

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-sam_2186.jpg  

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-sam_2188.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^^^ What Atlanta bistro? Sounds like an awesome recipe that I'll have to try in the future.

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    ^^^^ What Atlanta bistro? Sounds like an awesome recipe that I'll have to try in the future.
    It was named after the owner "Zoe's". My sister lives in Atl and said the restaurant went out of business but their food was amazing. When you make the tomatoes your house will smell incredible. I'd like to know what you think if you give it a try.

mtbr member
    Ooo reminds me of one of my favorite recipes! I mostly use it to showcase the amazing produce I grow in my garden. If you make this recipe, please make sure to use garden fresh tomatoes! Supermarket tomatoes are picked when still green then sprayed with chemicals to force them to turn red. It allows them to survive the shipping times, but they have no flavor! Fresh tomatoes in this recipe taste like garden fresh CANDY! Remember, tomatoes are a fruit! They should have flavor and a bit of sweetness.

Take some of those garden fresh tomatoes and slice them thick. They don't need to be perfect, but aim for between 1/2" and 1". Lay those slices out on a foil lined sheet pan lightly sprayed with olive oil, then very lightly spray the slices. Top each slice with a nice leaf of fresh basil. Not too big of a piece, cut them down if needed. You want a piece of basil that is no bigger than the slice of tomato. Put a little nug of goat cheese on top of the basil. The amount varies depending on size of tomatoes, so aim for a piece that covers about 1/2 of the basil, dont smother it with cheese! Drizzle balsamic glaze VERY lightly over all slices. Bake for 5-10 minutes at 375F, or until cheese is brown and bubbly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!

Sorry about lack of measurements again . I just eye everything!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lulanok View Post
    yeah,I like vegans - taste sort of like chicken.
    Actually, we taste like pork. All humans do. Our skin and organs very closely resemble that of pigs. Just think about how similar they look! In fact, for years, scientists have been using pigs to experiment with growing human organs, and have tested transplants from pigs into primates. We currently grow heart valves and insulin in them, and as soon as we can solve that pesky autoimmune rejection thing, we can grow any organ in them for human transplantation. When you eat pork, you are eating your cousin.

But, that is a side tangent. Your line is old and has been used multiple times in this thread already. It stopped being cleaver in 501 BC. But thanks for the thread bump!

*Is waiting for next month when another newbie inevitably comes by to say the same thing*

AZ
    banned
    Ha! the troll got trolled.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Actually, we taste like pork. All humans do. Our skin and organs very closely resemble that of pigs. Just think about how similar they look! In fact, for years, scientists have been using pigs to experiment with growing human organs, and have tested transplants from pigs into primates. We currently grow heart valves and insulin in them, and as soon as we can solve that pesky autoimmune rejection thing, we can grow any organ in them for human transplantation. When you eat pork, you are eating your cousin.

But, that is a side tangent. Your line is old and has been used multiple times in this thread already. It stopped being cleaver in 501 BC. But thanks for the thread bump!

*Is waiting for next month when another newbie inevitably comes by to say the same thing*
    LOL, for that kind of matter, we all know that men are pigs. That women share the same similarities with pigs, somehow seems to fly under the radar

Magura

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Smile chiming in..

I just wanted to say that I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and I signed up so I could post. I know I should introduce my self in the general thread first but I just wanted to say that this thread is great and thanks for starting it! I will be checking back frequently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been Vegan for 6 months. I had RLS for at least 15 years. I had never been able to figure out the cause and didn't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. I did a 5 day juice cleanse and my RLS was gone after 24hrs of starting on the juice. I have now been able to control the feelings in my legs completely thru my diet. We need to sleep to recover and if you can't sleep you can't recover.

Two things I have found. After talking to a lot of people and doing a lot of research.

First- Just like in the first page of this thread. Why do meat eaters feel under attack and have to defend them selves when I'm the one that has made the choice to not eat meat or dairy?

Second- Is every one brainwashed by the media and USFDA to believe that meat and cheese is the only source of protien in the world?

mtbr member
    The hardest thing for me to do in my practice is to get a patient to make a lifestyle change in regards to diet. I had a guy last month who is being ravaged by type II diabetes to the point where he is on the verge of losing two toes. He told me he would do anything to get healthy. I took two hours of my personal time to explain how he could start simply by eating a basic green smoothie prior to his meals. I figured this would be a nice easy place for him to start. I saw him two weeks later and asked him how it was going. He laughed and said "Doc, it was like licking my dogs butt and if that's what I have to do to get healthy they can have both of my feet!" So much of folks poor diet is wrapped up in emotion, addiction, and misinformation. Most people would be shocked to know how many medical professionals are completely ignorant concerning diet. So it's the perfect storm, people aren't getting the information from their healthcare providers because Docs are not being taught proper nutrition in school. I feel this is because of adverse pressure from pharmaceutical companies Peoples biology is being exploited by "food" companies who add addictive additives to their products. (Think MSG and Aspartame among others). Plus you have a government that caters to special interests (think Mansanto) who continue to push absurd dietary guidelines.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I've been Vegan for 6 months. I had RLS for at least 15 years. I had never been able to figure out the cause and didn't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. I did a 5 day juice cleanse and my RLS was gone after 24hrs of starting on the juice. I have now been able to control the feelings in my legs completely thru my diet. We need to sleep to recover and if you can't sleep you can't recover.

Second- Is every one brainwashed by the media and USFDA to believe that meat and cheese is the only source of protien in the world?
    I'm doing the juice cleanse right now and experience the same thing, but I havent been riding as much either. Carbs and exercise seemed to be the biggest causes I could trace to restless legs at night, different diets and stretching helped a lot for me. RLS as a medical condition is BS in my opinion as are most modern conditions created by big pharma to sell you medication you dont need.

People never seem to care about where you get your protein until you tell them that you're trying a vegetarian diet. You should tell those folks to ask some gorillas or elephants where they get their protein from . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I'm doing the juice cleanse right now and experience the same thing, but I havent been riding as much either. Carbs and exercise seemed to be the biggest causes I could trace to restless legs at night, different diets and stretching helped a lot for me. RLS as a medical condition is BS in my opinion as are most modern conditions created by big pharma to sell you medication you dont need.

People never seem to care about where you get your protein until you tell them that you're trying a vegetarian diet. You should tell those folks to ask some gorillas or elephants where they get their protein from . . .
    I think the biggest cause for my RLS was refined sugar. The cleaner my diet has become the easier it has become to trace the effects of food.

mtbr member
    Been a vegetarian for almost a year and honestly can say that I feel better then I have in years (just turned 42). I've subscribed to this thread and appreciate the info I've gotten from here. I've not gone full vegan tho, still consume eggs and honey. Have cut out most dairy products, we have a lil cheese every now and again. Thanks again guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ???

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Oh by the way, to stay on topic

Favorite vegan food = pizza

We use home made cashew cheese there's a ton of how to's on making nut cheese. A quick google will yield some results, but as for other ingredients -

Sun dried tomatoes
    Cubed boiled sweet potato
    Red capsicum
    Baby spinach
    Garlic
    Red onion
    And top it with a swirl of BBQ sauce
    And some basil and oregano

Yummmm

Sent from my iPh.....the future to kill John Connor.

mtbr member
    Trader Joes also has a fantastic vegan pizza. I personally don't like the fake cheeses (other than nut cheese sauces like what I have posted), and this pizza doesn't use it. It uses a nice balsamic glaze sauce and topped with fire roasted veggies.

I believe Amy's makes one too, and it is a very similar recipe. It isn't quite as good as Trader Joes, however

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Not sure if I can get Trader Joes here in Australia but that sounds awesome!

Sent from my iPh.....the future to kill John Connor.

mtbr member
    New mostly-vegetarian here, after seeing some documentaries such as Forks Over Knives, Dying To Have Known, and other docs that I don't remember the names of which tout the merits of healthy, sustainable, healing foods. Been at it since last fall, with the usual breaks at Tg, Christmas, and another family celebration last week. Bought a juicer and am juicing too. I have to say, I can't remember feeling this good. I'm old and have been sick for years, but I feel so good these days that I have ordered a MTB, which should arrive tomorrow. Won't be too long, some of y'all may see me on some Austin-area trails. (OK the easier ones - I may feel better now, but I doubt that I'll as easily get over being OLD.)

I'm glad to have found this thread for all the tips I'm finding (Thanks Dion! and the rest of you who have provided so much useful info). My veggie diet needs some spicing up (while staying low sodium, low fat, etc.), and I'm getting some good ideas here.

As for recipes, my neighbor gave us one for red lentil soup that is so good it makes me want to slap the s%@t outa a red wasp nest just to bring me back to my senses. I'll ask her if I can post it here; if so I'll sure do it.

Subscribed.
    pequín

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pequin View Post
    New mostly-vegetarian here, after seeing some documentaries such as Forks Over Knives, Dying To Have Known, and other docs that I don't remember the names of which tout the merits of healthy, sustainable, healing foods. Been at it since last fall, with the usual breaks at Tg, Christmas, and another family celebration last week. Bought a juicer and am juicing too. I have to say, I can't remember feeling this good. I'm old and have been sick for years, but I feel so good these days that I have ordered a MTB, which should arrive tomorrow. Won't be too long, some of y'all may see me on some Austin-area trails. (OK the easier ones - I may feel better now, but I doubt that I'll as easily get over being OLD.)

I'm glad to have found this thread for all the tips I'm finding (Thanks Dion! and the rest of you who have provided so much useful info). My veggie diet needs some spicing up (while staying low sodium, low fat, etc.), and I'm getting some good ideas here.

As for recipes, my neighbor gave us one for red lentil soup that is so good it makes me want to slap the s%@t outa a red wasp nest just to bring me back to my senses. I'll ask her if I can post it here; if so I'll sure do it.

Subscribed.
    pequín
    That's awesome Pequin, good luck on your goals!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anyone been carnivore and turned veg and seen a change in their performance? Or vice versa?

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast