1 Attachment(s)
  • 01-26-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 01-26-2016
    Forster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post

I'd keep them to level 8 but my wife can't tolerate the smell of very ripe banana's since my son was born so she makes banana bread when they hit 7.5. She's only eating 2-4 no matter what. On an unrelated topic, PBS Frontline did an interesting show on nutritional supplements last week. Good props to the Canadian government for their regulation of the industry. Reinforces my standard practice of checking supplements to see how Canada views the manufacturer and supplement itself. A few years ago we had a friend recommend taking Sinjat (claimed anti-inflamatory). Canada bans it due to high levels of heavy metals, the US? Sure, sell it, it's from India, it has to be healthy. Ugh.
  • 01-28-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 01-29-2016
    cyclelicious
    9 Sources of Vegan Protein to Get You Ripped

Quote:

As many athletes know, protein serves as a key nutrient in building muscle and strength. Protein fuels our workouts, aids our recovery, and supports long-term brain functioning. But contrary to popular belief, protein is found in much more than just meat. Some of the healthiest forms of protein come from plants and are incredibly efficient at synthesizing amino acids and promoting cell growth and repair.

When comparing the protein content of meat and plants, one thing to consider is how much protein a food contains compared to the number of calories and weight it has. For instance, although they contain a lot of protein, chicken and other animal-based proteins are high in calories. Vegan food doesn’t typically contain as many grams of protein, but pound-for-pound, they’re a much more efficient source of it. For example, per calorie, broccoli has more protein than beef and contains approximately 4.5 grams per 30 calories, which is why it’s easier for vegan and vegetarian bodybuilders to build leaner-looking physiques without experiencing the drastic weight swings similar to their meat-eating counterparts.

With plant-based proteins, it’s important to distinguish between incomplete and complete proteins. Something we have learned in recent years is that our bodies are capable of using all sources of amino acids to form complete proteins. In other words, eat a good variety of plant-based, whole foods that are protein-rich, and you’ll be equipped to build serious muscle.
    1. Soy
    Soybeans are approximately 40 percent protein, and the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (a measure of protein quality) for soybeans is just below 1.0, making them the equivalent to cow’s milk, beef, and egg proteins. While beans are often low in the amino acid methionine, soy is a complete protein. Tempeh is loaded with 16 grams per serving, while tofu comes in at seven grams.
    Protein per serving: 68 grams

2. Lentils
    Lentils are great for athletes looking to boost their protein intake quickly and efficiently. Use them in vegan burger recipes and veggie wraps for delicious, protein-laden meals.
    Protein per serving: 12 grams

3. Black beans
    Versatility makes black beans an all-time favorite vegan protein source. Delicious in vegan chili and stir-fry recipes, they’re just as nutritious straight out of the can.
    Protein per serving: 15 grams

4. Ezekiel bread with peanut butter
    Peanut butter sandwiches happen to be protein-rich with a sizable amount of essential amino acids and plenty of healthy fats, while Ezekiel bread has wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet, sprouted grains, and spelt. These combined ingredients contain all the essential amino acids, and they are also high in fiber and vitamins.
    Protein per serving: 8 grams

5. Seitan
    If you’re not gluten intolerant, seitan is an ideal protein source. Made by mixing gluten (the protein in wheat) with herbs and spices, hydrating it with water or stock, and simmering it in broth, seitan isn’t a complete protein on its own—it needs to be cooked in a soy sauce-rich broth to add gluten’s missing amino acid (lysine).
    Protein per serving: 21 grams

6. Quinoa
    Quinoa looks much like couscous but is more nutritious. Full of fiber, iron, magnesium, and manganese, quinoa is a terrific substitute for rice because it’s easy to cook ahead of time for meal prep. And it tastes great!
    Protein per serving: 8 grams

7. Hemp seeds
    Hemp is a complete protein and rich in all essential amino acids. High in fiber and a rare vegan source of omega-3s, most of hemp’s calories come from beneficial proteins and omega-3 fatty acids. Hemp also boosts energy (thanks to the high amounts of magnesium it contains) and has significant amounts of all nine essential amino acids, as well as plenty of magnesium, zinc, iron, and calcium. In addition to seeds, hemp also comes in the form of powder (which mixes wonderfully into smoothies) and oil, can be used as a butter substitute, and makes a delicious salad dressing.
    Protein per serving: 11 grams

8. Chia seeds
    Chia seeds are the highest plant source of omega-3 fatty acids, and they contain more fiber than flax seeds or nuts. Chia is also full of iron, calcium, zinc, and antioxidants, but the best thing about these little seeds is that they form a gooey gel when combined with milk or water. You can commonly find seeds in the form of ground or milled chia, white chia, and pre-hydrated chia.
    Protein per serving: 4 grams

9. Almonds
    Almonds are an ideal plant-based food that fuel workouts and reverse sodium and calcium deficiencies in the body. Featuring the types of healthy fats that sustain energy during a gym session or competition, almonds are packed with calcium and are a great source of vitamins.
    Protein per serving: 6 grams

sauce:
    9 Sources of Vegan Protein to Get You Ripped
  • 02-02-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1047460

Unilever, the parent company of Hellmann’s (also known as Best Foods)—one of the largest and most iconic mayonnaise brands in the world— is launching a vegan “spread” later this month. In 2014, Unilever filed a false advertising lawsuit against vegan company Hampton Creek for its eggless Just Mayo, before bad press forced them to drop the suit. While Hellman’s marketing will focus “cater to its customers tastes,” it is evident that Hampton Creek—whose Just Mayo is now officially the only spread used by 7-Eleven stores worldwide—poses a threat to companies that continue to use eggs.

Hellmann's has figured out that if you can't beat them, you might as well join them....

sauce
    Hellmann's To Launch Vegan Mayo
  • 02-04-2016
    gt7152b
    Quote:

I just bought a container of $8.00 spinach and it tasted so rich :)

Attachment 1044548

Just tried this cauliflower steak recipe over the weekend. So good:

Recipe: Cauliflower Steaks with Ginger, Turmeric, and Cumin ? Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn
  • 02-05-2016
    milliesand
    1 Attachment(s)
    Num nums
  • 02-05-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 02-07-2016
    cyclelicious
    Best 2016 Super bowl Commercial (and it's vegetarian/vegan)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ndPEQCoSzk
  • 02-08-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 02-11-2016
    rho
    Quote:

Truth
  • 02-11-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 02-11-2016
    alphazz
    Quote:

That triangle is nearly as bad as the one the dairy industry puts out.
  • 02-13-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 02-13-2016
    Mark_BC
    Quote:

Him: err, no

Her:

• 02-14-2016
    Forster
    Quote:

Is that heart made from recycled paper? Why did you choose to kill these roses? Was bringing home a live plant too difficult? I hope for your sake, you didn't bring this home in a plastic bag. These roses don't look like they were in your panniers, did you drive the car again? Is that your Hemp Sweater? It looks like a poly-blend......
  • 02-14-2016
    cyclelicious
    So many questions :lol:
  • 02-14-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 02-14-2016
    shredchic
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion
    Wow just found this after 4 yrs! Is this our "coming out" thread? Lol. Vegetarian for roughly the same amt of years I have been mtn biking, and more recently 99.9% vegan 2+ yrs. (can't shake the occasional half and half with coffee).

I feel like I'm missing out from all of the meat eaters in that I have never bonked or cramped up. I read that from Cyclicious as well. Is that a common theme? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 02-19-2016
    cyclelicious
  • 02-20-2016
    acer66
  • 02-20-2016
    Forster
    Quote:

They totally missed the point. Chickens can eat Chickpeas. It's not even a fair fight. :)
  • 02-24-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 02-24-2016
    Forster
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYSt8K8VP6k Three if you count Europeans. I never understood fries, always been an Onion Ring type myself.
  • 02-25-2016
    KevinShoes
    Anyone try making their own energy gels? I'm thinking to cut down on wrappers of making my own (using the Thrive recipe as a starting point) and throwing it in a gel flask and mounting that on my bike or jersey pocket. Anyone try this? Was it succesful or not?
  • 02-26-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinShoes View Post
    Anyone try making their own energy gels? I'm thinking to cut down on wrappers of making my own (using the Thrive recipe as a starting point) and throwing it in a gel flask and mounting that on my bike or jersey pocket. Anyone try this? Was it succesful or not?

I've never tried gel... the flavors themselves are a big turn off for me ( strawberry banana, tangerine etc) and I prefer whole foods like dates and bananas but it is worth a look so

I was curious by your post and I checked out Thrive

Attachment 1052565

Quote:

Ingredients (for 3/4 cup, twice as much as pictured)
    4 dates (may use dried dates, soaked for a few hours)
    1/2 cup raw agave nectar
    1 Tbsp lime zest
    2 tsp lemon zest
    1/2 tsp dulse ( can skipped this, if you don't have it)
    Sea salt to taste
    Combine all the ingredients in a blender or small food processor until desired consistency is reached. Put into plastic zip-lock bag or gel flask.
    - See more at: Energy Gel Recipe from Thrive
    It might be a good start for those who like experimenting :) :thumbsup:
  • 02-26-2016
    KevinShoes
    Just to kind off build even more off your reply. I found this recipe which seems to be an adaptation of the recipe Vega uses (very similar to thrive but with coconut oil).

DIY: Endurance Gels | lululemon athletica

I think to cut down on my single use plastics, I'm going to find a flask and bike mount and use that for training and racing. I'll report back with how it goes.
  • 02-26-2016
    Forster
    Haven't tried that, I've really gone back to basics. Figs/Dates, Salted Almonds/Peanuts, raw nuts/seeds and Honey. Seems odd to process foods I enjoy better in their natural state. Plus I find it easier to adjust on the fly if I have a couple ziplocks to pick from as I'm riding.
  • 02-26-2016
    Ol' Bromy
    I like to stuff a PB&J or PB & honey into the pack for long days in the saddle. They just taste awesome in the woods.
  • 02-27-2016
    monogod
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    That triangle is nearly as bad as the one the dairy industry puts out.

in what universe?
  • 02-28-2016
    cyclelicious
    The Benefits of Dulse Seaweed | LIVESTRONG.COM

Quote:

Ingredients (for 3/4 cup, twice as much as pictured)
    4 dates (may use dried dates, soaked for a few hours)
    1/2 cup raw agave nectar
    1 Tbsp lime zest
    2 tsp lemon zest
    1/2 tsp dulse ( can skipped this, if you don't have it)
    Sea salt to taste
    Combine all the ingredients in a blender or small food processor until desired consistency is reached. Put into plastic zip-lock bag or gel flask.
    - See more at: Energy Gel Recipe from Thrive
  • 02-29-2016
    ladljon
    I bake sweet potato, mashed with frozen bananas, soy protein, blackstrap molasses, and peanut butter powder or just plain peanut butter, get to the right constancy and put into squeeze tubes U can buy at camping stores. Looks like yuck, but taste great...sometimes a little organic coconut oil....
  • 02-29-2016
    cyclelicious
    Thanks for your post ladljon . :)
  • 02-29-2016
    cyclelicious
    Another nice push into the mainstream

Torre Washington is a bodybuilder, and part of a growing trend of jocks (like Serena Williams and 300-pound Chicago Bears lineman David Carter) who avoid animal products. Mike Tyson is now vegan. Even the definitive muscleman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, says we should eat less meat. Need convincing? Try Washington’s eco-friendly, critter-free diet plan.

More about pro athletes going vegan

The Vegan Diet That Will Get You Jacked | GQ
  • 03-04-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    just letting you know...

Attachment 1054516

Blight resistant potato on its way thanks to GM tech, guess which ones had the gene transfer??

Genetically modified potato likely to be released this year | Dhaka Tribune
  • 03-09-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Chocolate... is top shelf :)

Attachment 1055569
  • 03-10-2016
    cyclelicious
    Paleo - Vegetarian? Turns out it's not such an oxymoron. Brief article (published a few years ago) about one person's experiment

Experimenting with the Paleo Diet for Vegetarians
  • 03-10-2016
    alphazz
    A strange article. I don't understand how someone would think eggs and dairy would be vegetarian. And as with most in America, he has an obsession with protein. Paleo vegetarian is very easy with most of the food requiring little or no preparation.
  • 03-11-2016
    cyclelicious
    Quote:

A strange article. I don't understand how someone would think eggs and dairy would be vegetarian. And as with most in America, he has an obsession with protein. Paleo vegetarian is very easy with moat of the food requiring little or no preparation.

I still get asked "Do you eat chicken? What about fish? Eggs? Cheese? Milk?" :lol:
  • 03-11-2016
    alphazz
    Answer;: No, I'm a vegetarian.

Or the question is, How do you get protein?
  • 03-11-2016
    cyclelicious
    Quote:

Answer;: No, I'm a vegetarian.

Or the question is, How do you get protein?

Classic !
  • 03-12-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    MMMM Origin of Almond milk.... mystery solved

Attachment 1056277
  • 03-13-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    The best burger in the world this year is vegetarian. That is according to GQ, which heaped praise on New York’s Superiority Burger. The $6 burger (it even has a vegan version) is described as having a nutty patty made from secret ingredients.

And it looks pretty good.

Attachment 1056473

Vegetarian version is served with Muenster cheese... I'll take the vegan version

Sauce:

https://www.finedininglovers.com/blo...-burger-vegan/

https://boughtbymany.com/news/articl...than-originals
  • 03-15-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Had some asparagus for dinner... yup pee smells funny this morning :lol:

Attachment 1056956
  • 03-15-2016
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok This is wrong on so many levels.... but there is a tiny part of me that likes taking the guess work out when an avocado is ready

Attachment 1057115
  • 03-15-2016
    Mark_BC
    ewww what I (don't) want to know is how they keep it from going black
  • 03-15-2016
    Silentfoe
    @ 4x the price.
  • 03-18-2016
    cyclelicious
    2 Attachment(s)
    Kiwi or Fruit Scrotum :) You be the judge

Attachment 1057626