Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I had a peach pit sprout after put in the fridge late summer so I put it in a pot, and now it's growing in the windowsill with the light on. Will plant outside next spring.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    I had a peach pit sprout after put in the fridge late summer so I put it in a pot, and now it's growing in the windowsill with the light on. Will plant outside next spring.
    That is neat!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Name:  12295254_918700621538968_2542122550469874214_n.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  98.9 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger says people should go meat-free one or two days a week to protect the climate.

Sauce:

COP21: Arnold Schwarzenegger: 'Go part-time vegetarian to protect the planet' - BBC News
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Things Vegetarians and Vegans hear at Christmas

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-2265549830.jpg

1) Can you not just have some turkey since it's Christmas?

2) Do you eat chicken?

3) I know you're vegetarian, so I've done some salmon...

4) Is your whole family vegetarian?

5) I don't know if it's gluten free...

6) Can you not just pick the bacon off the sprouts?

7) I don't eat very much meat

8) I only eat organic meat

9) Where do you get your protein from?

10) Do you not just ever fancy a bacon sandwich?

11) But pigs in blankets taste so good!

12) It must be very hard to eat out

13) Hi, I'm James Martin [ chef]

14) The gravy is just the meat juices though...

15) The potatoes are cooked in goose fat, but there's no meat in them

16) What are you having for Christmas dinner? Nut roast?

17) My friend was a vegetarian but had to give it up because it made her ill

18) But the turkey is free range...

19) Hitler was a vegetarian

20) What if plants feel pain too?

21) You're vegan? But the cows like being milked

22) Are you a Buddhist or something? I didn't think they celebrated Christmas

23) If you were marooned at Christmas on a desert island with a turkey, would you eat it?

Sauce:

23 things not to say to vegetarians and vegans at Christmas - Sunderland Echo
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No one calls me Maurice.
    Years ago my mom calls and she's freaking out because my step-brother's girlfriend is a vegetarian and she doesn't know what to fix for thanksgiving. (Really odd, since my sister was a vegan through her teen years.) So my first question was "Is she vegan or vegetarian?" which my mom thought was some form of condescending joke. Long story short, I reach her directly and find that she does dairy and eats glutens but no eggs, so eggplant lasagna with egg free noodles. We show up two and a half hours before dinner with two bags of stuff and my wife had to get my mom drunk to keep her out of the kitchen and freaking out because "you can't make a lasagna from scratch in 2 hours!" She'd really freaked if she'd known I'd never made a vegetarian lasagna before. I'm becoming a firm believer in skipping the big meal holidays and spending them in a hotel somewhere.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Years ago my mom calls and she's freaking out because my step-brother's girlfriend is a vegetarian and she doesn't know what to fix for thanksgiving. (Really odd, since my sister was a vegan through her teen years.) So my first question was "Is she vegan or vegetarian?" which my mom thought was some form of condescending joke. Long story short, I reach her directly and find that she does dairy and eats glutens but no eggs, so eggplant lasagna with egg free noodles. We show up two and a half hours before dinner with two bags of stuff and my wife had to get my mom drunk to keep her out of the kitchen and freaking out because "you can't make a lasagna from scratch in 2 hours!" She'd really freaked if she'd known I'd never made a vegetarian lasagna before. I'm becoming a firm believer in skipping the big meal holidays and spending them in a hotel somewhere.
    Love your story!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Things Vegetarians and Vegans hear at Christmas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2265549830.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	1036407

1) Can you not just have some turkey since it's Christmas?

2) Do you eat chicken?

3) I know you're vegetarian, so I've done some salmon...

4) Is your whole family vegetarian?

5) I don't know if it's gluten free...

6) Can you not just pick the bacon off the sprouts?

7) I don't eat very much meat

8) I only eat organic meat

9) Where do you get your protein from?

10) Do you not just ever fancy a bacon sandwich?

11) But pigs in blankets taste so good!

12) It must be very hard to eat out

13) Hi, I'm James Martin [ chef]

14) The gravy is just the meat juices though...

15) The potatoes are cooked in goose fat, but there's no meat in them

16) What are you having for Christmas dinner? Nut roast?

17) My friend was a vegetarian but had to give it up because it made her ill

18) But the turkey is free range...

19) Hitler was a vegetarian

20) What if plants feel pain too?

21) You're vegan? But the cows like being milked

22) Are you a Buddhist or something? I didn't think they celebrated Christmas

23) If you were marooned at Christmas on a desert island with a turkey, would you eat it?

Sauce:

23 things not to say to vegetarians and vegans at Christmas - Sunderland Echo
    Sounds like my mother in law trying to feed me high carbohydrate sugary things.
    Mother in law. ..want some pie and ice cream?
    Me...no thanks.
    Mother in law. ..cake?
    Me. ..no thanks I'm good.
    Mother in law. ....why not?
    Me. ..my blood sugar is a little high right now so I'm going skip desert.
    Mother in law. ....ice cream?
    Me. ...no thanks.
    So I get up and go to a different room to get away. 5 minutes later my mother in law comes in with pie and ice cream.
    Mother in law. ..here this is a small piece of pie.
    Me...my glucose levels is high right now.
    Mother in law. ..I don't know what that means.
    Me...it means that I shouldn't eat that.
    Mother in law. ..but it's Thanksgiving

9 lives
    May the fruit be with you

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-ramw9au.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No one calls me Maurice.
    I always imagine Yoda being more of a Kiwi.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

9 lives
    Name:  8155_10208276998702345_1009876666357233058_n.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  7.2 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-12376479_1174084329269925_8989626636057664129_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays fellow vegetarian, vegan riders

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-1424508_853124808142545_8294045305227706051_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Holy broccoli monster batman
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-1916479_948799681874145_5313760965615414511_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No one calls me Maurice.

Name:	12376479_1174084329269925_8989626636057664129_n.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	1037457
    They last better if they tree ripen, but you'd have to move south, way south. My habanero hummus was a big hit for the first three seconds of Christmas Eve when everyone realized that there was too much habanero and not enough chickpea.

mtbr member
    Ohhhh, you cook with Habanero's?
    Can I come over for dinner? Pretty please?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just tried an easy coconut flour pancake recipe using homemade coconut flour and I wanted to share it. I made the flour from the pulp of the coconut after making homemade coconut milk. I used the oven on a low heat drying the pulp spread out evenly on a cookie sheet.

I actually forgot to put the almond milk in and I didn't have any lemon so I didn't use the lemon zest. I also used a "flat" griddle to make them on using a medium heat (medium high as specified in the recipe was to hot). I did use a TBSP to make a few small ones as it said but then made normal size ones as it was less work.

These were real good with maple syrup on even without the things I forgot! Next time I will remember to put the almond milk in and try the lemon zest if I have any. I realize these aren't vegan because of the eggs but they are vegetarian & gluten free. If you try them I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Homemade coconut milk: Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe | Wellness Mama

Coconut flour pancakes: Coconut Flour Pancakes | Goop

9 lives
    ^ Looks good Bizman
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-10151878_992064824191113_8034349709728556037_n.jpg

Although kale has made a big name for itself, the last couple years... spinach is still a favorite
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member

Name:	10151878_992064824191113_8034349709728556037_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	1039142

Although kale has made a big name for itself, the last couple years... spinach is still a favorite
    One of my favorite things to do with spinach is dehydrated it and make garlic and feta cheese chips.

9 lives
    ^ Great idea!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-10367815_1072278479490000_8436428023319752076_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I am with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by BR46 View Post
    One of my favorite things to do with spinach is dehydrated it and make garlic and feta cheese chips.
    Recipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Recipe?
    I took the idea from making kale chips from a recipe on pinterest. I don't have exact measurements and I had to do a little experimenting and you may have to experiment what works for you.

I put spinach in a mixing bowl and lightly coat the spinach with olive oil
    mix in some garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder
    spread out on parchment paper and sprinkle with some feta cheese
    I will microwave at 50% power for a few minutes or you can bake in the oven at 250° for about 20 minutes

Another easy one is my favorite to make
    coat spinach lightly with olive oil sprinkle with jalapeño feta cheese and microwave.

mtbr member
    I found out that if you use to much olive oil the spinach never gets crispy

No one calls me Maurice.

Name:	10367815_1072278479490000_8436428023319752076_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1039767
    Oh boy, then I'm doing it all wrong. Interesting weekend with my niece's husband who doesn't eat meat, but he doesn't eat very well and doesn't exercise either. It makes you wonder what his goals are. Not that eating always support some goal, but most of my vegetarian friends eat healthy foods, not just meat free junk.

I am with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by BR46 View Post
    I took the idea from making kale chips from a recipe on pinterest. I don't have exact measurements and I had to do a little experimenting and you may have to experiment what works for you.

I put spinach in a mixing bowl and lightly coat the spinach with olive oil
    mix in some garlic powder, garlic salt, onion powder
    spread out on parchment paper and sprinkle with some feta cheese
    I will microwave at 50% power for a few minutes or you can bake in the oven at 250° for about 20 minutes

Another easy one is my favorite to make
    coat spinach lightly with olive oil sprinkle with jalapeño feta cheese and microwave.
    Cool, I will try that.
    Thank you

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-75553_1239947899354299_8883016845958584569_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    I just tried an easy coconut flour pancake recipe using homemade coconut flour and I wanted to share it. I made the flour from the pulp of the coconut after making homemade coconut milk. I used the oven on a low heat drying the pulp spread out evenly on a cookie sheet.

I actually forgot to put the almond milk in and I didn't have any lemon so I didn't use the lemon zest. I also used a "flat" griddle to make them on using a medium heat (medium high as specified in the recipe was to hot). I did use a TBSP to make a few small ones as it said but then made normal size ones as it was less work.

These were real good with maple syrup on even without the things I forgot! Next time I will remember to put the almond milk in and try the lemon zest if I have any. I realize these aren't vegan because of the eggs but they are vegetarian & gluten free. If you try them I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Homemade coconut milk: Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe | Wellness Mama

Coconut flour pancakes: Coconut Flour Pancakes | Goop
    There has got to be something wrong with that pancake recipe. There is no way 1/4 cup of coconut flour can make 12- 2 inch pancakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    There has got to be something wrong with that pancake recipe. There is no way 1/4 cup of coconut flour can make 12- 2 inch pancakes.
    I used the 1 Tbsp measurement it says to use (for each one) and 3 jumbo eggs, I did 4 at a time on the griddle, actually they may have been slightly bigger than 2" but they were close to 2" (I didn't measure the diameter), I did this 3 times for a total of 12 small pancakes. I had more batter left over and just poured it out of the blender making what I would call "2 more" regular size pancakes, about 5-6" diameter each.

I did the later step as it seemed easier than making 4 small 2" pancakes. I would suggest the bigger pancakes. And yes, this was using a 1/4 cup homemade coconut flour. I did forget to put the 1/3 cup almond milk in it called for. If I had done that I am not sure if it would have made more or less? I ate pretty much all them myself other than a few bites my wife wanted to try (she ate earlier). It's really not that much.

We both thought these were real good and I will be making them again, except I will be sure to put the almond milk in. In the research I did for coconut flour it says that you only use 1/4-1/3 cup coconut flour per 1 cup of wheat flour. I may also increase the coconut flour to 1/3 cup for a little thicker batter. Sorry this doesn't sound correct using 1/4 cup of coconut flour but I have no reason to say otherwise, this is how it was.

9 lives
    Food & Wine magazine promotes vegan cheese

In an article entitled, “Why 2016 is the Year to Surrender to Vegan Cheese,” Food & Wine Magazine writes about the advancements made in the world of nut-based cheese. Noting that times have changed, the story describes how vegan cheese was once “rubbery, oily, [and] starch-filled.”

Currently, nut cheeses have improved because the people making it use techniques similar to those who make dairy-based cheeses. Almond, cashews, macadamia, or other nuts are blended with cultures and aged to make everything from spreadable to hard cheeses. “Until recently, only raw foodists made vegan cheeses—and they did it in very simple ways,” Miyoko Schinner, owner of vegan cheese company Miyoko’s Kitchen, told the magazine. “But recently the amount of vegan cheese on the market has skyrocketed.” Food & Wine featured vegan favorites such as Miyoko’s Kitchen, Treeline Treenut Cheese, Field Roast Chao Slices, and more.

7 Amazing Vegan Cheeses to Try in 2016 | Food & Wine

2016 is looking to be a very good year
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I am with her.
    The lack of any even remotely good tasting cheese ended my short lived vegan phase years ago but it looks like times might have changed.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    The lack of any even remotely good tasting cheese ended my short lived vegan phase years ago but it looks like times might have changed.
    I'm hopeful too...
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-946834_10153949199149248_571664445349621693_n.jpg

"Gà Ham Chay" is "chicken ham liver" in Vietnamese
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    I'm hopeful too...
    I always laugh when I'm looking at what is in vegan cheese since the ingredients seem so weird usually...then I think of what's in dairy cheese and how it's made and I'm like...oh...right...that's even more weird that people would eat that...
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

mtbr member

Upset

Name:	946834_10153949199149248_571664445349621693_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	1041126

I completely understand this. All these years I thought that a vegetarian just ate plants until I became one. But No! As Steve Martin used to say. Apparently there are Ovo vegetarians, Lacto vegetarians, Pollo vegetarians, Pesco vegetarians and every combination of these. I came to find out that people who just eat plants are Vegan. Why is that? You would think that the term vegetarian would mean only plants.
    Last edited by huckleberry hound; 01-08-2016 at 12:22 PM.

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-12509092_10205688100030001_7933709323038734281_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No one calls me Maurice.

Name:	946834_10153949199149248_571664445349621693_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	1041126

On first glance, I'd say it's dog food. Not knowing any Vietnamese I looked at their english website and found "Lamyong Vegetarian Ham is a tasty and convenient vegetarian food ingredient loved by all in the family! Comes in 3 different flavours, Original, “Chicken” and “Bacon”." I would speculate that the references to both "Ham" and "Liver" are non-direct translations referencing the similarity to a pork sausage with a Pate texture, but that's still a guess. Now I'll have to try and find it so I can figure out what the heck it is.

9 lives
    Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-10426682_494355604077436_474594596643647081_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No one calls me Maurice.

Name:	10426682_494355604077436_474594596643647081_n.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	1042582
    They're probably all wondering why we don't eat the peels and getting all the nutrition available.

9 lives
    Just 10 days ago, an organic head was $8.99 and conventional stuff hovered around $6.99 in downtown Toronto. This past weekend, conventional cauli dropped in some Ontario stores to $5, while in Vancouver, prices were already back to what shoppers were used to.

How did cauliflower come to cost as much as a pound of grass-fed ground beef? - The Globe and Mail

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-12549122_10153220668597212_7790188203902521505_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member

9 lives
    ^ so cool
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    I just bought a container of $8.00 spinach and it tasted so rich

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion-12509803_1692665991006454_892796576509781592_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No one calls me Maurice.
    I just bought a container of $8.00 spinach and it tasted so rich

Name:	12509803_1692665991006454_892796576509781592_n.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1044548
    I feel like I let you down this afternoon Cyclelicious. I had both Broccoli and Cauliflower but since I was working, I didn't fulfill the experience of eating like a Canadian Millionare and washed it down with water instead of a fine white wine. I guess I just don't understand the finer points of being a Canadian Gourmet.

9 lives
    January 24 is National Peanut Butter Day

George Bayle, a St. Louis snack food maker, started making peanut butter in the 1890's. For many years, manufacturers struggled with the oil separating from the grainy solids of the peanut butter. In 1923 Heinz became the first company to homogenize the peanuts into the spreadable butter we know today.

It takes 550 peanuts to make a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter! Peanuts are cholesterol free and an excellent source of protein. In fact, it’s the high protein content that causes peanut butter to stick to the roof of your mouth.

How many peanut butter combos are there? Lot's!

1. Peanut butter with honey
    There is Vegan honey. Take a spoonful of peanut butter, add a squirt of the apple-based variety from Bee Free Honee, and—wah lah—dinner and dessert in one.

2. Peanut butter on celery
    For some people, celery smells funny and tastes even worse. For others, it’s a delicious snack that requires no cooking. However a person feels about this vegetable, adding peanut butter in that cute little moat definitely improves this raw green.

3. Peanut butter with bananas
    The combination of peanut butter and bananas is often referred to as an “Elvis,” and why shouldn’t it be? Just like Presley was the king of rock ‘n’ roll, mixing PB and bananas is the king of sandwiches, bagel spreads, and however else you want to eat it.

4. Peanut butter on apples
    We already know that combining applesauce and peanut butter is the food equivalent of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel harmonizing together, but for a different spin on a delectable treat, try spreading PB onto apple slices. Any apple will do, but I suggest Honeycrisp.

5. Peanut butter with chocolate chips
    Contrary to popular belief, George Washington Carver didn’t invent peanut butter (see above). Had he, Carver most certainly would have immediately thought to add chocolate chips to his delicious spread because adding chocolate chips to everything is always the right decision.

sauce
    National Peanut Butter Day, Vegans, & Bachelors
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

No one calls me Maurice.
    Grilled BB&J was my last supervisor's favorite sandwich, I would opt for grilled PB and Banana. I still own a nut plate for a meat grinder just to make nut butters.

mtbr member
    This journey is getting easier. Last week we came home with a jar of Salted Caramel (Skippy) PB. Over Golden Delicious Apples it was like ice cream to the taste buds.

mtbr member
    I love the stuff and I actually had pb on celery last night. You'd think I'd get sick of it but year after year I keep eating it. British friends say it tastes like dirt. I don't think it's very popular over there.