Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Vegan for a year now. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to cooking but the girlfriend makes us all kinds of tasty vegan meals. Tonight she made "sweet potato minestrone." It's just water, diced tomatoes, diced sweet potatoes, diced onion, celery, carrots, northern beans,sveggies broth,salt & pepper, oregano and spinach. Sometimes she'll put in a fake sausage which is pretty tasty. You fry up the carrots, celery and onion in a soup pot, add the liquids, potatoes and remaining ingredients and let it simmer for 30 minutes or so. Toss the spinach in at the end. She also makes corn bread by replacing the egg with applesauce and the milk with almond milk. Delicious!

banned

kjlued, what a twit.

Chamois Dropper
    I've made this on a couple times , and it's pretty good.I use Tofurkey beer brats. Recipe from Vegetarian times magazine.
    Beer Brats

Serves 8

Once these brats have simmered in the onion-beer liquid, they can be served as-is or grilled. Top with your favorite fixings

2 Tbs. vegetable oil
    2 small onions, halved and thinly sliced (2 cups)
    3 tsp. sugar, divided
    1 pt. brown ale
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    8 vegetarian beer brats or sausages
    8 hot dog buns

1 | Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until they soften and begin to brown. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. sugar, and sauté 3 minutes more, or until onions are golden brown.

2 | Stir in 1 cup brown ale, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in remaining 1 cup brown ale, remaining 2 tsp. sugar, salt, and pepper, and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until onions are very tender and translucent.

3 | Prick sausages with fork. Add to beer mixture, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve immediately, or cool in liquid for more flavor, then reheat or grill. Serve welldrained brats in buns, each topped with 2 Tbs. onions, if desired.

PER SERVING (1 BRAT, BUN, AND 2 TBS. ONIONS) 395 cal; 32 g prot; 15 g total fat (2 g sat fat); 35 g carb; 0 mg chol; 841 mg sod; 6 g fiber; 5 g sugars
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Wow kjlued, you're such an awesome, mature, grown adult-type person. I've never seen those pictures before, thank you so much for sharing them. You're brilliant. I mean, it's such a great idea to be reactionary to a choice in diet that people put a lot of thought into and time researching why and how to stop eating/eat less meat and you, I'm sure, spent as much or more time looking through hundreds of thousand of pictures of animal carcasses cooked up for consumption until you found the exact right ones to post in this thread. Because, none of us eating meat, there's nothing more offensive to our sensibilities than animals we used to eat and see all the time being eaten in person. Those pictures though, whoo man! That's another whole level of seeing we just can't take. So, thanks a million for posting some very relevant and awesome pictures to our thread where we share recipes and ideas for meals. It really helps us out.
    Your welcome

Save Jesus
    There's a "carnivorous passion" thread where you can share your love of delicious meat products, seared to perfection. Rich in protein and saturated fatty acids, with a complete amino acid profile. Don't troll the vegans here, LOL.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    There's a "carnivorous passion" thread where you can share your love of delicious meat products, seared to perfection. Rich in protein and saturated fatty acids, with a complete amino acid profile. Don't troll the vegans here, LOL.
    LOL, no kidding, all that denying themselves of delicious seared flesh makes some of them a little testy.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    LOL, no kidding, all that denying themselves of delicious seared flesh makes some of them a little testy.
    actually we're pretty laid back until something in a douchey carnivore's creutzfeldt-jakob addled brain prompts them to troll our threads. perhaps you've noticed a profound lack of vegan trolling in your "dead animal carcass passion" threads???

be a swell guy and return the favor, eh?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Rogue Exterminator
    I am sorry guys, I didn't mean to piss you all off.
    I guess my love for yummy seared flesh sometimes get the best of me.
    I will try not troll your thread anymore.

Here is a corny joke to maybe make it all better

Q: What do vegan zombies eat?

A: Graiinnnzzzz

Ok guys, time for me to go clog some arteries.

pin it

The concept of rooftop gardens in urban centres continues to grow. Singlesprocket and I visited the The Big Carrot (a flagship living roof garden and urban agriculture space in the heart of Toronto) this summer.

Carrot City - Carrot Green Roof
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    So, holidays are nearly upon us!

Ill be experimenting with some vegan gravy around t-day and trying to get some awesome dishes the non vegetarian family will enjoy.

What do the rest of you guys have going on for these often traditionally family oriented days ahead?

Sent by smoke signal.

Vegan gravy! That reminds me, I was supposed to make some with some vegan biscuits when I moved into my apartment. I'll keep it on my radar.

As for the holidays, I got nothing. I think Thanksgiving and Christmas I am going to spend with a friend(s?) from France. She'll be here with nothing to do and my mom has plans and I think my brother is spending it with his girls family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Chamois Dropper
    Vegan gravy is tough to make IMO, I find the kind that comes with the Tofurkey is excellent.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

^^i got a plan, if it works it will be awesome, so I hope it works.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Yep, its gonna be trickey... But doable I think. I have some time to practice at least.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    The absolutely best way to make the best vegan sauces is to start with a roux for the base. Always, ALWAYS start with a roux! That is how you get the creaminess that animal fat provides without the animal fat!

I use a couple different combos for this. If you are just vegetarian, use butter and flour, either chickpea flour or a whole wheat fine grind flour. If vegan, I really like coconut oil and chickpea flour. Look up how to make a roux on youtube if you haven't done it before, and practice! Once you get it down, it is simple. But you will mess up the first couple times. Luckily, they are fast and cost almost nothing to make. But the results are spectacular!

Now, as for gravy recipes... I have to think about that. I have made them, but I am a professional cook, so we don't really use recipes. I just throw stuff in a pot until what I want comes out Ok, let me try to translate one here for you...

Basically, find any recipe that sounds good (and make sure it starts with a ROUX!), and substitute pan drippings/ chicken stock with veggie stock. If you REALLY want to blow away the family, make your own veggie stock from all your veggie tips and ends. Save them for the next couple of weeks in a freezer bag. If this is too much, just follow a recipe online and buy the veggies. Just make sure that you at least have some onion, celery, garlic, carrots, peppercorns, and a few bay leaves in the mix. The more variety you add on top of those, the yummier it is! I like to make a big pot, portion it out in ziplock bags, and freeze them for use any time. Use it in any recipe instead of water (rice, grains, sauces, everything!) to level up your vegan/ vegetarian cooking

So, here is the basic idea for how I make my gravy:
    Frying pan on medium heat, add 2 tbsp of whatever oil or fat you would like to use for the roux (I like coconut oil, vegan margarine is also highly recommended). Add about 1/4 cup finely diced onion, and cook a couple of minutes. If you would like a mushroom gravy, add some small diced mushrooms at this point, about 1/2 cup, and some more oil. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic, adding more oil as needed. You want them to be swimming in it a bit. This is gravy, after all! Once the garlic is almost done, drain that yummy flavored oil you just made into a saucepan. It's ok if you get a few chunks of garlic or veggies in the mix! Now, this is my secret; with the frying pan still on medium heat with the veggies in the pan, add about 1/3 cup white wine to deglaze them. Only cook for a minute or two, just until the wine cooks down a bit and all the oil from the sides is mixed in. Turn off the heat and set aside.

Now, back to that saucepan with the flavored oil. Turn it on low-medium heat, whatever you have found you need it set to for your roux. Add some more oil to the saucepan, enough so there is about 1/2 cup of oil in there. Add 1/2 cup flour and make your roux. Once that is complete, add about 2 cups of veggie stock, more as needed. Whisk over low-medium heat until there are no more lumps. Add the veggies and wine you just cooked, and reduce to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, and some sage, to taste. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it gets all nice and creamy. If it isn't getting creamy enough for you, add cornstarch, about 1 tsp whisked together with a couple tablespoons of COLD water (must be COLD or you will make your gorgeous gravy lumpy!) and stir in to the gravy. Repeat as needed to get more creamy... but I tend to find that this isn't needed!

That is basic veggie/ mushroom gravy. If there is a certain theme or flavor you want, let me know! (cranberry gravy, citrus gravy, white gravy, etc.) If there is a certain non vegan recipe that sounds good, I can help you adapt it to be vegan. That is basically how I make my recipes, just adapting regular ones

I have found there are very few limitations to vegan cooking. You just need to be smart and creative, and the results are just as amazing as non vegan!

Good luck, have fun, and make the family proud

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Thanks!
    Ive got some experimenting to do now based on that sort of outline there.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    Anybody have some good seitan recipes to share? I'm an accidental vegetarian most days but eat meat at a few meals throughout the week.

Seitan has always been my favorite, normally just use the recipes from Veganomicon and put them in the steamer to cook instead of boiling in broth.

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Anybody have some good seitan recipes to share? I'm an accidental vegetarian most days but eat meat at a few meals throughout the week.

Seitan has always been my favorite, normally just use the recipes from Veganomicon and put them in the steamer to cook instead of boiling in broth.

Hi GT Here is an earlier post for seitan

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I will give you guys another hint while we on are the topic of sauces;

Béchamel sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bechamel sauce. Make it with vegan margarine and soy milk. It is a creamy modification of roux, and is how you will make the BEST vegan Alfredo and Cheese sauces you will ever have Protip number two; blend the soy milk with some raw cashews before adding it into the sauce. It takes the creaminess up a notch, and adds that amazing 'bite' kind of texture and the hint of nuttiness that cream and cheese have and most vegan substitutions are missing. Nutritional yeast is a must, which is a trick most vegans already know about. And, try some yellow mustard in the sauce to give it a 'sharp' cheddar cheese flavor. I also like some blended pimentos to give it the cheddar cheese color and some very nice, mild flavor. And of course, never be afraid of the spices.

I love to experiment with sauces because they are inexpensive, very versatile and easy to play with, and can make or break a dish!

Vegan on the S-Works
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    No, but it serves as an example that vegans are pretty much dependent on the supermarket being around the corner.

There is a reason why there are no vegan or even vegetarian civilizations and cultures found in the world, except our First World Civilization which can just pop by local supermarket and buy some food supplements.

On the other hand, I really ADMIRE vegan folks who live on farms and can eat what they grow with their own hands.
    Says the man chomping on bacon hotpockets in his Mum's basement.

"Id be vegan but I don't have a farm so I just eat meat from the supermarket vs killing cats, cows, dogs, rats and lambs like other meat eaters do...'.

face palm.

Vegan on the S-Works
    Does any of the 'you won't get enough protein if you are a vegan' naysayers think they have more Strava KOM's against elite riders than me? http://app.strava.com/dashboard

Check it out.

How can I bang out such high wattage and VAM if my diet is 'protein deficient'. How come so many riders eat meat and take whey protein? If you are getting enough protein how come you need to take whey protein? Interesting eh?

Not hat'n.
    Just say'n..

Durian, you're poking bears. Old ones at that. And while bears are generally stupid and know next to nothing about a healthy vegan diet, it's more stupid to poke them as it only gets them fired up and ready to launch an idiotic picture flame-war of moronic proportions. So, in an effort to keep stupidity to a minimum, let's not get all "high and mighty vegan" , yeah?

Pro-tip: I'm using bears as a metaphor for posts/posters that like to troll our thread with meat stupidity.

Chamois Dropper
    Had a nice 4 + hour ride today, earned my Tofurkey. Holidays are always a tough time for us vegetarians, with family dinners and such. Our plan is to get everyone to go to a restaurant where there is some vegetarian options, that way we don't have to impose on someone to make special dishes or bring our own food. What do you guys do?
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

During the holidays I become even more reclusive and stay home and refuse to answer my phone. I hate holidays like I'm the Grinch.

Chamois Dropper
    ^^ Me too. We usually plan our vacation abroad during the holidays so we can get the hell out of Dodge. I guess I'm a Grinch too. Doesn't help that they start ramming Xmas up your azz right after Halloween these days.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast