Forks over Knives cookbook
    Thug Kitchen (original)
    How to Cook Everything Vegetarian - Mark Bittman

i am also member of a few FB groups and I get ideas from the forums
  • 09-09-2017
    Geralt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    this may have been discussed, but what are some of your favorite vegan cookbooks?

Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen - Richa Hingle
    Isa Does It - Isa Chandra Moskowitz
    The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen - Donna Klein
    Vegan Eats World - Terry Hope Romero
  • 09-10-2017
    cyclelicious
    6 Attachment(s)
    Yesterday, we attended the 33rd annual VegFest in Toronto. It was the biggest attendance ever for this 3 day event. Over 140 vendors, presentations, music etc

A few pics

Rice and peas, pumpkin, callaloo, (incredibly healthy), barbecue seitan, fresh coconut drink, and freshly corn on the cob. All from Vital
    Attachment 1157064

One of dozens of food trucks from around the city
    Attachment 1157065

I think Hare Krishna was one of the original vendors from 1985... still serving delicious food
    Attachment 1157066

Attachment 1157067

I got my lunch at D'Beatstro. A Banh Mi Tofu sandwich
    Attachment 1157068

Apiecalypse Now was just one of 140 vendors... hugely popular. They make incredible pizza, flavoured marshmallows, donuts... etc all vegan
    Attachment 1157069
  • 09-12-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 09-13-2017
    cyclelicious
    Quote:

Protein and the Vegan Athlete: All You Really Need to Know

Can you be a plant-based athlete and still meet your protein needs?

Unless you’ve been living in some magical No Meat Athlete bubble we don’t know about, you’re probably no stranger to this question.

And luckily, neither is science.

For a long time, athletes, coaches, and trainers alike have worried that vegan and vegetarian diets may not be sufficient to support the nutritional requirements and performance goals of athletes. They wonder if animal products are necessary to perform at one’s highest level.

I’m happy to report, the research says otherwise. And that there’s an easier way to think about how (and where) you get your protein on a plant-based diet.

But before we get into the details, let’s take a step back:

What the Heck is Protein Anyway?
    Your body contains thousands of different proteins that serve different functions, all made from amino acids. It’s the arrangement of these amino acids that determines the type and function of a protein.

There are 20 different amino acids that combine to form proteins, and although your body requires all of them, you only have the ability to make 11 of them. These are termed non-essential amino acids.

The other nine—those you can’t make—are termed essential amino acids, and must be obtained from the diet.

While it is true that all animal-source foods (meat, dairy, and eggs) contain all essential amino acids, they can also be obtained by eating a variety of plant foods.

Proteins containing all nine essential amino acids can be used immediately by the body. If a protein is low in one or more of the essential amino acids, the availability of the protein is limited until the body can complete it. Which brings us to… wait for it…

Complete vs. Incomplete Proteins (The Old Way of Thinking)
    More often than not, when you hear someone talking about getting enough protein, they refer to something called “complete” protein.

The notion of complete vs. incomplete protein was popularized in the 1971 book, Diet for a Small Planet, by Frances Moore Lappé. Lappé said that plant foods are an incomplete protein because they’re deficient in one or more of the essential amino acids. Thus, being a healthy vegetarian would mean that you need to combine plant proteins at each meal to get a “complete” protein.

This led to the impression that plant proteins are completely devoid of at least one essential amino acid.

Nope. False.

All plant proteins have some of every essential amino acid. Did you get that? All of them.

While certain (quite delicious, I might add) foods—like quinoa, chia, buckwheat, and soy—contain all nine essential amino acids in roughly equal amounts, other plant proteins have a lower amount of at least one essential amino acid.

But that’s not a problem because your body does the work of making complete proteins for you.

All you have to do is rub your belly three times, wiggle your nose, and count to ten…

Only kidding. It’s actually way cooler than that.

Your body creates a “pool” of amino acids from the food you eat throughout the day. So, if you eat oats in the morning, a salad at lunch, and legumes for dinner, your body will pool together all the essential amino acids from these foods and use them as needed to make proteins.

This means you don’t have to worry about getting all the essential amino acids at any given meal. As long as you are eating an assortment of plant foods over the course of a day, your body will take care of the rest.

Beautiful, isn’t it?

Lysine: The Limiting Amino Acid in Vegan Diets
    Alright, so there is one thing in particular we vegans need to consider more than others.

Lysine (very different than Lysol… do not consume that).

Lysine is an essential amino acid that plays an important role in producing carnitine—a nutrient that helps convert fatty acids into energy and helps lower cholesterol, and it also helps produce collagen—a fibrous protein found in bone, cartilage, and skin. Lysine is considered a limiting amino acid because plant foods generally only contain a small amount of it.

The Recommended Daily Allowance of lysine is 38 mg per kg (1 kg = 2.2 lbs) of body weight. So, if you weigh 132 lbs (60 kg), you would need 2,280 mg of lysine. (Update: Calculation corrected)

Some vegan nutritionists argue that meeting your daily lysine need is more important than meeting your overall daily protein need.

By focusing only on the amount of protein in food, you might hit a huge number of one thing, but totally miss the mark on something else. If you aim instead for your daily lysine requirements, you’ll almost certainly meet your overall protein requirements as a result.

Foods richest in lysine are tempeh, seitan, lentils, and tofu. Amaranth, quinoa, pistachios, and pumpkin seeds are also good sources. Here’s a chart that breaks down the amounts of these high lysine foods:

Food Serving Lysine (mg)
    Tempeh 1/2 cup 754
    Seitan 3 oz 656
    Lentils 1/2 cup 624
    Tofu 1/2 cup 582
    Amaranth 1 cup 515
    Quinoa 1 cup 442
    Pistachios 1/4 cup 367
    Pumpkin seeds 1/4 cup 360

Okay, So How Much Protein Do I Actually Need?
    Protein and amino acid needs are the same for women as for men, and the amount is based on body weight in kg. For the general adult population (ages 19-59 years), the Recommended Daily Allowance for protein is 0.8 g/kg/day. That means if you weigh 60 kg (132 lbs), you would need 48 g of protein per day.

Put into practice? One cup of cooked oatmeal contains about 6 g of protein, add a tablespoon of peanut butter (4 g of protein) and ½ cup of soy milk (4 g protein) and you are up to 14 grams of protein at breakfast, which would be almost 30% of your daily requirement.

For athletes, however, it is a little different:

In a 2009 joint position paper on nutrition and athletic performance, the American College of Sport Medicine, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and the Dietitians of Canada recommended a higher protein intake for athletes. They said that:

Endurance athletes require a protein intake of 1.2-1.4 g/kg/day.
    Strength athletes require a protein intake of 1.2-1.7 g/kg/day.
    Vegetarian athletes should increase their protein intake by 10% because plant proteins are less well-digested than animal proteins. Intake should be 1.3-1.8 g/kg/day.
    In other words, if you’re a vegan endurance athlete who weighs 60 kg (132 lbs), you need roughly 78-108 g of protein per day. Or about 40% more than non-vegan, non-athletes.

That might sound hard to do on a vegan diet, but let’s look at a few examples to see just how easy it is.

At first glance, that may seem difficult to do on a vegan diet, but don’t despair! It’s not as hard as you might think.

A Day in the Life
    So far, this has been a lot of science and numbers. And while we all love science, sometimes it’s easier to just see examples. So, let’s put this all into perspective and look at sample menus for two vegan athletes:

Troy

Troy is 5’10” and weighs 155 lbs (70.3 kg). He’s training to run the Boston Marathon.

His protein requirement is: 70.3 kg x 1.3 g PRO = 91 g/day

His lysine requirement is: 70.3 kg x 38 mg = 2,671 mg/day

Here is a sample menu showing how easy it is for Troy to meet his protein (including lysine) needs.

Meal Food Protein Lysine
    Breakfast 2 slices whole grain bread 7.3 g 93 mg
    2 Tbsp peanut butter 8.0 g 290 mg
    8 oz soy milk 9.2 g 439 mg
    Banana 1.3 g 59 mg
    Snack 1/2 cup hummus 4.0 g 291 mg
    2 lavash crackers 4.0 g 144 mg
    1 cup veggie sticks 1.3 g 102 mg
    Lunch 1 cup vegetarian baked beans12.0 g 488 mg
    Medium baked potato 4.3 g 263 mg
    1 cup broccoli 3.6 g 234 mg
    Snack Orange 1.2 g 62 mg
    1/3 cup pistachios 8.2 g 489 mg
    Dinner 5 oz firm tofu 12.0 g 651 mg
    1 cup quinoa 8.1 g 442 mg
    1/2 cup peas 3.9 g 463 mg
    1/2 cup corn 2.3 g 272 mg
    Snack 1/4 cup dry roasted chickpeas 3.6 g 243 mg
    1 cup strawberries 1.0 g 37 mg

TOTAL 95.3 g 5,062 mg
    Boom. Troy nailed it.

Sarah

Sarah is 5’2” and weighs 125 lbs (56.8 kg). She’s a power lifter.

Her protein requirement is: 56.8 kg x 1.6 g PRO = 91 g/day

Her lysine requirement is: 56.8 kg x 38 mg = 2,158 mg/day

Here is a sample menu showing how easy it is for Sarah to meet her protein (including lysine) needs.

Meal Food Protein Lysine
    Breakfast 3/4 cup steel cut oats 7.5 g 501 mg
    1 Tbsp chia seeds 2.0 g 150 mg
    1 Tbsp cocoa nibs 1.0 g 70 mg
    Kiwi fruit 1.1 g 200 mg
    Snack 6 oz soy yogurt 6.0 g 439 mg
    3 Tbsp pumpkin seeds 6.6 g 270 mg
    Lunch Medium whole grain bagel 10.0 g 186 mg
    2 Tbsp peanut butter 8.0 g 290 mg
    8 oz soy milk 9.2 g 439 mg
    Snack 1/3 cup roasted soybeans 22.6 g 427 mg
    Orange 1.2 g 62 mg
    Dinner 1 cup cooked amaranth 9.3 g 515 mg
    1/2 cup black beans 7.6 g 523 mg
    1/2 cup lentils 8.9 g 624 mg
    1/2 cup cooked spinach 3.0 g 115 mg

TOTAL 104 g 4,811 mg
    Sarah had no trouble hitting her lysine goals for the day.

Looking deeper at these two examples, you’ll notice they both include a well-rounded mix of:

Fruits,
    Veggies,
    Legumes, and
    Nuts.
    And they don’t include any:

Protein powders,
    Fake meats, or
    Crazy mega protein meals.
    See, it’s really not hard to hit your dietary requirements as a plant-based athlete, even without resorting to processed foods and protein powders as so many athletes assume you need to.

Let’s Put the Protein Myth to Rest
    The idea that plant sources are insufficient to meet protein requirements is an outdated myth. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics supports the notion that an appropriately planned vegan or vegetarian diet can meet the energy and macronutrient needs (including protein) of athletes.

But the key words here are appropriately planned. Meeting your protein needs as a vegan athlete isn’t rocket science, but it may take a little effort or at least forethought.

Eat a variety of foods throughout the day.
    Include high-lysine foods when possible.
    Know roughly how many grams you need and plan accordingly.
    While the protein question may never go away completely, at least you know you can be healthy and reach your goals.

And now you know the science to prove it.

Sauce: Protein and the Vegan Athlete: All You Really Need to Know | No Meat Athlete
  • 09-15-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1157924

Quote:

Velovegan: Vegan meat delivered by bike to your door

Each weekend Ben Mueller-Heaslip and his partner make amazing vegan meats, then, Velovegan delivers those 'meats' all over Toronto - by bike. dandyhorse caught up with the founder of Toronto's only vegan food bike delivery service to find out a bit more about what it's like being vegan and working on two wheels.
    When and why did you start Velovegan?

Well, it's hard to say when I started. I'd been developing recipes for vegan meats ever since I became vegan many years ago, mostly because there weren't as many options back then as there are now and most of what was available was pretty terrible. So I was making vegan meats, and it was way better than what people could get from stores, so my friends wanted some, then they started buying it and people I didn't know wanted to buy it, so I decided that I should go into business. It became official about two years ago.

Why deliver by bike?

Why deliver by bike? Because it's just the best way to do the job!

I cover most of the city, from Scarborough to the Humber River, and get every day's route done in a couple hours. It costs me almost nothing and it's mostly a lot of fun. I wouldn't be able to have this business any other way: the cost of running a car for business wouldn't let me make it the sort of business I want it to be. And I just hate driving. Driving is not fun. I'd have to pay myself way more to drive, so much more that I wouldn't be able to hire myself to do the job.

Carrying the food is no problem. I worked as a bike courier for many years so my legs in good shape, and I've done a lot of cross-country bike camping rides where I've had to carry a lot more weight for a lot longer distances. I've got panniers and my panniers have panniers. When there are too many orders I hire my friend Smitty to ride for me and he's a fantastic courier. Now that business is getting really busy I'm trying to get him on as a regular employee. And since some stores have started carrying our products, you'll sometimes see me biking really slow with a big stack of orange crates full of burritos and pies strapped to the back rack of the bike.

What is vegan meat?

My meats are seitan, the base of which is wheat protein. It has the amazing property of being able to take on a great variety of textures depending on the process used to make it. My goal in making this stuff has been to create vegan meat that cooks the same way as the carnivores versions of the food. My father, for example, if he gets a package of vegan burgers or sausages from a store they stick to the grill of the barbeque and come out with the texture of either styrofoam or mush, because these things are badly made. My sausages, even my father can cook them properly. Just because you're vegan doesn't mean that your experience of cooking or eating should be any less than it would be if you're not vegan, and being able to barbeque a sausage is a nice part of life.

Why did you decide to only do vegan meat instead of offering full vegan meals?

Two reasons: first, every vegan already has vegetables so they don't need me to provide them. Second, a good business has to address a real need. Good, fresh, vegan meats, with a lot of variety, delivered at a good price is a real need and that's the service I'm providing.

Do you know of any other vegan food delivery by bike services?

Nope, I am the only one. There's a company in Minnesota that does it, but they don't deliver here. There are vegan restaurants that you can order from who use UberEATS and Foodora, but they're doing full meals and the delivery element is separate from the restaurant business. Unless there's something I haven't heard about, it's just me.

Favourite part of the day?

Being on the road. I love cooking, but it's a damn lonely thing. I usually try to time my cooking sessions to start with the first pitch of a Jays game so I don't get bored. Business administration is not fun for me. My partner does a lot of that stuff and she's way better at it than I am. What I like is when that work is done, the bike gets packed, and then I'm on the road. A lot of my regular clients are really great people and we have ongoing conversations, about baseball, or cycling, or politics, or their pets. You get to know people seeing them every week and I really value that. I wouldn't want to do this work if it wasn't like that.

Every Christmas I do a special run to give some presents and cards to the people who ordered most often during the year. Last year, one of my clients reciprocated my present by taking me and my son up for a flight in his little plane he's got at Buttonville airport, and he let me fly the plane. That was totally the best thing that's come to me from starting the business.

How does delivering healthy food by bike make the city a better place?

Toronto's a pretty tough city. Anyone who spends any time on the road here knows that, and they probably have a pretty good idea by now why it's that way. I'm trying to make a life for my family, not to change the world. But I'm trying to run the business right. When I started Velovegan I thought a lot about what it means run a business morally, and came up with a few principles: Nobody has the right to hurt anyone else to make money, make the product affordable to everyone, treat anyone working for you like family. I don't know if it makes a difference that a family on your street is vegan, or it their vegan meat is delivered by bike instead of a van. But doing things this way makes me feel like part of a community of people that cares about each other, and it makes me want to do it again every day.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Yes! Velovegan meats are sold at Victoria's Whole Foods at 1450 Gerrard East, and that our burritos, pot pies, and Jamaican Patties are on the menu at the Sideshow Cafe at 1300 Gerrard.

I'd give a shout out to Natalia and David at Lady Marmalade for giving me the use of their restaurant's kitchen in their off hours even though I've set off their burglar alarm so many times.

sauce Velovegan | dandyhorse magazine
  • 09-16-2017
    Cleared2land
    Great story! Thanks for sharing some local news and interests.
  • 09-17-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Have a beautiful sunday/funday with healthy treats :)

Attachment 1158122

Quote:

Is sugar really as addictive as cocaine? Scientists row over effect on body and brain
    Heated debate has greeted an article in a medical journal suggesting sugar should be considered an addictive drug, as experts deride the claims as ‘absurd’

Sauce: https://www.theguardian.com/society/...P=share_btn_fb

Article:
    Quote:

An article suggesting that sugar should be considered an addictive substance, and could even be on a par with abusive drugs such as cocaine, has sparked a furious backlash with experts describing the claims as “absurd”.

In a narrative review published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine the authors write that sugar could act as a gateway to alcohol and other addictive substances, adding that like sugar, like cocaine and opium, is refined from plants to yield pure white crystals – a process they say “significantly adds to its addictive properties.”

The article was co-authored by cardiovascular research scientist James J DiNicolantonio and cardiologist James H O’Keefe, both from Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas, together with William Wilson – a physician with the nonprofit US group practice Lahey Health.

“Consuming sugar produces effects similar to that of cocaine, altering mood, possibly through its ability to induce reward and pleasure, leading to the seeking out of sugar,” they write, citing rodent studies which show that sweetness is preferred even over cocaine, and that mice can experience sugar withdrawal.

Speaking to the Guardian, DiNicolantonio said that the consumption of sugar was a grave concern. “In animals, it is actually more addictive than even cocaine, so sugar is pretty much probably the most consumed addictive substance around the world and it is wreaking havoc on our health.”

The trio are not the first to explore whether sugar should be considered addictive, but the article has come under fire from some in the field, who say while sugar consumption can lead to problematic health issues, it it is not addictive or a drug of abuse.

Hisham Ziauddeen, a psychiatrist at the University of Cambridge, said that the rodent studies had been misunderstood by the authors, and added that a review of the matter he co-authored last year did not support the idea that sugar was addictive to humans.

“The rodent studies show that you only get addiction-like behaviours if you restrict the animals to having [sugar] for two hours every day. If you allow them to have it whenever they want it – which is really how we consume it – they don’t show these addiction-like behaviours,” he said.

“What this means is that it is the combination of that particular kind of intermittent access and sugar that produces those behaviours. Further you get the same kind of effect if you use saccharin … so it seems to be about sweet taste rather than sugar.”

Ziauddeen added that it was not surprising that even rats hooked on cocaine might prefer sugar, pointing out that many animals would naturally look for sweet things, not cocaine.

Maggie Westwater, a co-author of the study with Ziauddeen, said that the anxious behaviour sometimes shown by rodents after eating sugar was far from a clear sign of addiction. “Since such ‘withdrawal’ often occurs in the context of extended fasting, we cannot say if the behaviours were precipitated by previous sugar consumption or by hunger,” she said, adding that unlike for cocaine, rodents would not seek sugar if it was paired with an unpleasant event, like an electric shock

The authors of the latest study also point to parallels between the effect of cocaine and sugar on the brain, pointing out that both interact with the same reward system.

But Ziauddeen said that was not surprising. “The reality is that quite simply the brain’s rewards system and the circuits that control eating behaviour are the same ones that respond to drugs of abuse,” he said. But, he added, unlike sugar “drugs of abuse seem to hijack those systems and turn off their normal controls.”

Tom Sanders, emeritus professor of nutrition and dietetics at King’s College London said that it was “absurd to suggest that sugar is addictive like hard drugs.”

“While it is true that a liking for sweet things can be habit-forming it is not addictive like opiates or cocaine,” said Sanders. “Individuals do not get withdrawal symptoms when they cut sugar intake.”

However, DiNicolantonio said that while sugar consumption in humans didn’t lead to physical withdrawal signs, there were biochemical signs of withdrawal in the brain – a point contested by Ziauddeen.

But not everyone disagreed with the authors.

Robert Lustig, professor of paediatrics at the University of California San Francisco said he shared the concerns of DiNicolantonio and colleagues. “I do believe that sugar is addictive, based on its metabolic and hedonic properties,” he said. Lustig has previously argued that sugar is the “alcohol of the child”. However, while he said he believed sugar was a drug of abuse, he considered it a weak one, on a par with nicotine, rather than drugs like heroin.

But Ziauddeen cautioned that sugar, in itself, is not dangerous. “From an eating, metabolism and obesity point of view, sugar is not this terrific demon by itself, because of some innate property of it,” he said. “Where the problem lies is that there are huge amounts of sugar that are put into various foods that substantially boost the calorie content of those foods.”

Sanders agreed, noting that our taste for sugar is a trait that humans are born with and that sweetness helps us recognize foods rich in vitamin C.“The main health hazard from sugar is dental decay – it only contributes to obesity directly via over consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages,” he said.

• 09-17-2017
    Forster
    I dunno, sugar is harder to snort, unless it's powdered sugar, which is used to cut cocaine sometimes. On a more serious note, non-sugar replacements also tend to make people eat sweeter foods and creates a similar problem to eating actual sugar.
  • 09-20-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    this may have been discussed, but what are some of your favorite vegan cookbooks?

oh she glows - all of them
    eaternity
    chloe's.... - all of them
    vegan cooking for carnivores

I follow Facebook group called No Meat Athlete. I haven't purchased the cookbook yet. The author posts excellent healthy recipes and relevant information

Attachment 1158752

sauce: https://go.nomeatathlete.com/cookbook-info
  • 09-21-2017
    cyclelicious
    12 Attachment(s)
    Dangerous Food

1)
    Mushrooms

Attachment 1158942
    Not every mushroom is created equal. Crimini mushrooms might make perfect pasta toppers, but some species contain poisons that can kill.

2)
    Tomatoes

Attachment 1158943
    The juicy, red fruit contains a poison, Glycoalkaloid, in its leaves, which is known for causing upset stomachs, severe cramping, and anxiety. So steer clear of the leaves and stems.

3)
    Rhubarb Leaves

Attachment 1158944
    Rhubarb might bake up all kinds of delicious sweets, but the leaves are poisonous, causing breathing trouble, seizures, kidney failure, and in some cases, death.

4)
    Peanuts,

Attachment 1158945
    One of the most common allergies is to peanuts. The most severe reaction is anaphylaxis, which can lead to severe constriction of the airways, shock, and even loss of consciousness. It is dangerous enough to cause death if left untreated

5)
    Potatoes

Attachment 1158950
    Potatoes have poisonous leaves and stems, but even so, potato poisoning is rare. Most potato related deaths come from eating green potatoes or drinking potato leaf tea

6)
    Cherries

Attachment 1158951
    Watch out for cherry seeds, which contain poisonous hydrogen cyanide.

7)
    Almonds

Attachment 1158954
    This seed (no, it isn't actually a nut) may pack in many health benefits- but they are potentially full of poison. Bitter almonds while in their raw form, are full of cyanide.They need to go through a specialized heat treatment(more than DIY oven roasting) in order to remove toxins.

8)
    Stone fruit seeds
    Attachment 1158955

Apples and stone fruits - cherries, plums, apples, pears, peaches, and apricots- are nature's candy , but stay away from the seeds (as well as the bark and leaves) They contain amygdalin, a compound that produces cyanide . large does can lead to dizziness, and vomiting, increased blood pressure, kidney failure, coma and even death

9)
    Elderberry

Attachment 1158956
    We love us some berries, but the elderberry plant, used in medicinal syrups, sodas, and liquors can cause a severely upset stomach, so stay away from the stems and leaves.

10)
    Castor oil

Attachment 1158959
    Castor oil comes from the castor bean plant, which is loaded with the poison ricin. Make sure the beans your castor oil was made from adhered to all safety guidelines.

11)
    Kidney and Lima beans

Attachment 1158963
    These legumes are good for you, unless prepared incorrectly. Soak red beans for several hours to remove lectins which can kill the cells in the stomach and cook and drain lima beans thoroughly to get rid of the chemical compound linamarin, which can turn into hydrogen cyanide.

12)
    Nutmeg

Attachment 1158965
    Though its great to have on hand for baking, ingesting a significant amount can lead to psychotic symptoms like disorientation, hallucinations and hyper-excitation
  • 09-25-2017
    cyclelicious
  • 09-25-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 09-27-2017
    cyclelicious
    Quote:

4 Strategies to Make Going Vegan Easier for Athletes

1. Snack Smart

Aside from eliminating animal products from your diet, going vegan also means limiting processed foods. When you’re filling up on vegetables, fruits, nuts and beans, you’re going to have less room for potato chips and cookies. But you want to avoid fitting all of your calorie and nutrient needs into three meals, Starla Garcia, M.Ed, RDN, LD, a registered dietitian in Houston, Texas, says.

“Plant-based athletes may need to eat more than three times per day to meet their calorie and protein needs,” she says. “Plan ahead for three meals and two to three snacks that all include a source of plant-based protein to help you stay satisfied and full in between your meals as well.”

Frazier also recommends preparing healthy snacks that are both nutrient- and calorie-dense. “Some great options include foods that are high in protein and healthy fats like nuts, avocado and nut butters or hummus with a whole-grain bagel or pita,” he says.

2. Prepare for Social Situations

You can have a social life once you go vegan or plant-based, even if your friends don’t follow suit, Frazier says. It might mean suggesting a restaurant, looking up the menu ahead of time to see what healthy vegan dishes are available, or eating dinner before meeting your friends. “Once you go vegan, it’s not going to be as easy as popping by a nearby McDonald’s to get some quick calories in,” Frazier says.

In fact, you’ll find that some of the unhealthiest dishes on a menu are vegan. From French fries to onion rings, ordering greasy dishes for the sake of sticking to a vegan diet doesn’t make things better. In addition to researching menus, Frazier likes to pack nutritious snacks that he can munch on to avoid temptations. This way, you can spend time with your friends and have something to eat, too.

3. Focus on Getting Key Nutrients

Although many vegetables and grains are packed with nutrients that are universally essential, athletes especially want to focus on B12 vitamins (which are most commonly found in animal products), D3 vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. For B12, excellent vegan sources include nutritional yeast, seaweed, blue green algae, chlorella and spirulina. For D3, seek out mushrooms, tofu and fortified soy and almond milk. Omega-3s are also fairly easy to come by in walnuts, chia seeds and flax seeds, Garcia says. Or, if you’re feeling more adventurous, try microalgae oils, which can be found at vitamin shops.

4. Team Up with a Nutritionist

As you transition to a vegan diet, identifying your nutrient needs won’t be as simple as white and black. Garcia recommends working with a registered dietitian to come up with a game plan. She also advises getting yearly or bi-annual lab work done to ensure you aren’t experiencing low levels of certain vitamins and minerals during intense training periods. “It would be a shame to end up with a fracture because you aren’t getting enough calcium, or become anemic simply from a lack of B12 or iron during your marathon training season,” she says.

Should You Go Vegan?

Transitioning to a vegan lifestyle takes some preparation and planning, but it can be done. Taking a more active approach to your nutrition can help you successfully make the shift. And if you can’t quit meat and dairy cold turkey, not all is lost. Start small by eating one vegan meal a day and replacing cow’s milk with almond milk. Eventually, you won’t miss the cheese and might feel more ready to make the leap.

Frazier says to talk to other athletes who have made the lifestyle change to see what worked for them and what didn’t. “Becoming a vegan doesn’t need to be a scary, all-or-nothing commitment,” Frazier says. “It’s OK to start with ‘micro-commitments’ in the beginning before fully committing to this lifestyle if you’re unsure as to whether it will work for you and your goals.”

sauce and further links: Everything an Athlete Needs to Know About Going Vegan
  • 09-28-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 09-29-2017
    cyclelicious
    "Learn what's in season and be aware of what fruits and vegetables shouldn't be available locally at a particular time of year."

Quote:

People are being duped': Marketplace exposes homegrown lies at farmers markets

Some farmers market vendors push bogus homegrown stories to consumers looking for fresh local fruits and veggies — and Marketplace has the hidden camera footage to prove it.

The Marketplace team went undercover at 11 bustling markets across Ontario this summer to ask vendors where their produce comes from and then tested the veracity of those claims using surveillance and other investigative techniques.

The results suggest many consumers could be paying premium prices for produce with fake backstories about where it was grown.

At four of the markets, the investigation exposed five different vendors who claimed to be selling fresh produce they had grown themselves but who were actually cashing in by reselling wholesale goods purchased elsewhere.

At a fifth market, the team discovered a vendor passing off Mexican produce as Ontario-grown.

Most of the markets Marketplace visited had vendors known as resellers, who sell produce they didn't grow. They purchase wholesale fruits and vegetables from places such as the Ontario Food Terminal in Toronto — Canada's largest wholesale market — and take it to farmers markets to sell for a profit.

When asked directly, many resellers were upfront about the fact they didn't grow the produce, but others were not.

Follow the truck

At the Peterborough Farmers' Market, one of the largest and longest running in Ontario, Marketplace identified two resellers making misleading claims about their products.

The largest of these vendors, Kent Farms, operates two different stalls at the market. One is run by James Kent, and the other by Brent Kent.

They say they're third generation farmers and have properties northeast of Toronto in Newcastle, Orono and Lindsay.

They told undercover Marketplace journalists that most of the produce they were selling was grown on their family farms, or was from neighbouring properties.

Marketplace started digging after noticing the cucumbers Brent Kent claimed to have grown were labelled with stickers from a large multinational corporation that grows greenhouse vegetables 500 kilometres away in Kingsville, Ont., located south of Windsor on the northwestern shore of Lake Erie.

To determine where the Kents were getting the rest of their produce, Marketplace followed a Kent Farms truck the day before the Peterborough market.

Long before dawn, the truck drove 100 kilometres from James Kent's property in Newcastle to the Ontario Food Terminal in Toronto. There, the journalists witnessed James Kent and his employees loading their truck with more than 50 boxes of produce including peppers, zucchinis, strawberries and radishes.

At market the next day, James and Brent Kent were seen unloading boxes that looked to be the same as those from the terminal. Staff at Brent Kent's stall peeled stickers off peppers and James Kent transferred vegetables from wholesale boxes to farm bushels.

When undercover Marketplace journalists asked about the zucchinis, James Kent said: "They're mine." He also claimed the radishes were from his neighbour "across the field."

"He buys all my strawberries," he said. "The last thing I can do is say no to him when he sells me some radishes."

Brent Kent said he grew the peppers that Marketplace filmed having their stickers removed earlier that day.

'Believe in transparency'

Both James and Brent Kent declined to be interviewed.

In an emailed statement, James Kent said they "believe in transparency" and are committed to their customers. He said he grows some of what he sells and purchases some Ontario produce at the food terminal because he believes it's a "benefit to consumers to provide products from other regions of Ontario."

Marketplace found four more examples of vendors at markets in Burlington, Gravenhurst, Orillia and Toronto who weren't clear or upfront about what they were selling.

A vendor at the Burlington Mall Farmers' Market southwest of Toronto told undercover Marketplace journalists that the tomatoes he was selling were from his farm, which he said is called Koornneef. But Koornneef Produce is actually a large wholesaler that only sells produce at the Ontario Food Terminal.

At a popular market in downtown Toronto, a vendor displayed a "Homegrown Chemical Free" banner and said all of the products were from his farm. But Marketplace noticed boxes from a wholesale distributor at the food terminal underneath the table. That wholesaler told Marketplace he doesn't market his produce as chemical-free.

In Orillia, located two hours north of Toronto, a pepper that a vendor claimed was local had a sticker from a 750-acre producer in Sinaloa, Mexico.

Farther north in Gravenhurst, a vendor claimed to have personally picked strawberries on his farm the day before market, but Marketplace discovered he doesn't even have a farm.

When the journalists followed up with the owners of each stall, two admitted to reselling at certain points in the season and said the misleading claims were made in error. One refused to respond at all, and the other said he doesn't grow anything and his staff member misspoke.

But it's not just the consumer who's being hurt by reseller lies.

A 2016 study from the Greenbelt Farmers' Market Network, an organization that connects more than 100 farmers markets in southern Ontario's Greenbelt, found small-scale farmers, like Lauren Nurse, are growing increasingly reliant on markets as a source of income.

The study says nearly half of farmers surveyed rely on markets for 75 per cent or more of their income, up from just a quarter of farmers five years earlier.

Nurse says she finds it very frustrating when resellers bring seasonal produce and undercut her on price.

"Our sales drop … It really hits our bottom line."

Who's in charge?

There are no provincial regulations anywhere in Canada against reselling at farmers markets, so it's left to each individual market to set and enforce its own rules. Some markets prohibit or limit reselling but the majority do not.

It's a different story in some states south of the border.

In California, for example, each stand is inspected and vendors are required to display a certificate that outlines the produce they grow.

No reselling of wholesale or out-of-state produce is permitted and markets are inspected by the state on a quarterly basis.

Vendors who are caught breaking the rules can face suspensions, fines or even jail time.

Ed Williams, the man in charge of inspecting markets in Los Angeles County, says the system is important to prevent fraud and ensure "the consumer is not getting ripped off."

In Canada it falls to the provinces to decide whether to regulate the industry, so Marketplace put its findings to Jeff Leal, Ontario's minister of agriculture and rural affairs.

He says reselling means consumers can access produce on a "four-season" basis that might not be available in Ontario's growing season. However, to "protect the integrity" of markets, he urges vendors to give correct information about the origin of produce.

In addition, he says his ministry will investigate every complaint it receives and work with farmers markets to get them resolved.

But unlike in California, there are no legal consequences for resellers who lie about growing the produce they sell.

Dead giveaways

So how can consumers guard against being misled?

Nurse says the best way is to learn what's in season and be aware of what fruits and vegetables shouldn't be available locally at a particular time of year.

Another dead giveaway, she says, is discarded wholesale packaging behind a vendor's stall.

She says it's unfair consumers have to go to such lengths to protect themselves.

"People should be able to have confidence in the food they're buying and who they're buying it from."

'People are being duped': Marketplace exposes homegrown lies at farmers markets - Business - CBC News
  • 10-02-2017
    cyclelicious
  • 10-02-2017
    chazpat
    ^ I watched the follow up video where they go vegetarian for 21 days. They should have done more research, lots of errors, "I need my protein" and the gal was saying how she felt so tired after the first day and they both concluded at the end that it is very hard. I think a big part of it was that they don't tend to eat very healthy even as meat eaters, the gal is overweight and I'm not sure they were used to really cooking fresh dishes and they were in McDonald's at one point.
  • 10-04-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Happy Hump Day

Attachment 1160795
  • 10-11-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
    Perfect for chunkin'

Attachment 1161953
  • 10-13-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 10-17-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 10-18-2017
    cyclelicious
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 10-19-2017
    cyclelicious
    13 Things You Didn't Know About Nuts That Every Self-Respecting Vegan Should

Quote:

National Nut Day is Saturday October 21, which means we’re hitting the bulk foods section at our local grocery stores to create sophisticated raw desserts, whip up creamy sauces, and slather oh-so-satisfying nut butters onto just about everything (there’s also talk about filling a Mr. Peanut piñata with nuts, but we’ll see). Of course, we all know that nuts are part of a healthy diet, but for this national holiday, we wanted to know more about one of our favorite snacks, which is why we’re highlighting 13 little-known facts about nuts in honor of National Nut Day. After a quick read, you’ll see why we’ve got never-ending love for nuts.

1. What’s a nut?
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a “nut” is a hard, one-seeded fruit that does not split open to release seeds when ripe.

2. What’s not a nut?
    Botanically speaking, peanuts aren’t really nuts—they’re legumes, which consist of edible seeds encased within a pod (a la peas). Already knew that? Well, walnuts, almonds, and pecans are not nuts either—they’re drupes, a type of fruit with a typically fleshy outer casing that surrounds a shell or pit that encases a seed (think mangos, cherries, and plums). So, whether we eat the outer part or the seed determines our layman’s classification of fruit or nut—we associate the fleshy part with a “fruit” and the seed with a “nut.”

3. Almonds can act as prebiotics
    According to a 2008 study by the American Society for Microbiology, consuming almonds might help increase healthy gut bacteria. We wonder if anyone is working on an almond-flavored kombucha … prebiotics and probiotics all in one!

4. Thanks, Boston
    The first published recipe for peanut butter and jelly sandwich was included in The Boston Cooking School Magazine of Culinary Science and Domestic Economics, Volume 6 in 1901. Author Julia Davis Chandler advised, “Try making little sandwiches, or bread fingers, of three very thin layers of bread and two fillings, one of peanut paste … and currant or crab-apple jelly.”

5. Bolivia nuts?
    Brazil nuts (which are mostly sourced from Bolivia) are one of the highest natural sources of selenium, a mineral that helps protect against prostate cancer and raise testosterone.

6. Killer cashews
    From simple snacking to creating indulgent cashew cheeses and raw desserts, cashews are staples in vegan cuisine. But beware of the shells because they are severely toxic, as cashews come from the same plant family as poison ivy.

7. Silly sandwiches
    There are plenty of delicious sandwich creations that expand upon the traditional peanut butter sandwich—peanut butter and banana, peanut butter and chocolate, and peanut butter and … kimchi? Minneapolis’ GYST Fermentation Bar serves The Sandor, which pairs peanut butter and kimchi on a focaccia roll. Apparently, according to Eater, the combination actually works.

8. The (allergen-free) friendly skies
    In July 2017, an Australian couple called for a nut ban on airlines after their son suffered a severe allergic reaction on a Singapore flight. Their request is not the first of its kind. In 2014, a woman started a petition that would force airlines to create a three-row, nut-free buffer zone for those with nut allergies. The topic has gained much attention throughout the years, but no airline has officially banned passengers from consuming nuts or peanuts.

9. How bizarre
    Andrew Zimmern, celebrity food personality and host of Bizarre Foods, will eat almost anything … except walnuts.

10. Pennsylvania Planters
    Planters, the nationally recognized nut company with the lovable Mr. Peanut mascot, was founded in 1906 by an Italian immigrant in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The company began with just six employees and two head roasters and is now part of the Kraft Heinz Company.

11. One more reason to love chocolate
    Nut farmers love chocolate companies, as they purchase 40 percent of the world’s almonds and 20 percent of the world’s peanuts.

12. Hit it hard
    Macadamia nuts are not for the weak, as it takes 300 pounds of pressure per square inch to crack their shells, the hardest of all nuts.

13. Wet ‘n’ wild
    Do you soak your nuts? If not, you might want to consider it, as soaking has been shown to aid in digestion and increase the bioavailability of a nut’s nutrients. Put your nuts in a bowl or jar, submerge them completely with water, add a pinch of sea salt, and let them sit on the counter for seven hours (overnight). Rinse, and enjoy those bioavailable nutrients!

sauce: 13 Things You Didn't Know About Nuts That Every Self-Respecting Vegan Should
  • 10-20-2017
    cyclelicious
    Friday Funnies

Be proud let loose :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=128&v=RxJdzsjoYLs

One of the perks of going on a plant-based diet many people report is an end to constipation, or at least far more regular digestion. That said, at first, that isn’t the case for everyone — as your digestive system adjusts to taking in more fiber, you might experience some increased irregularity and bloating.

More about the benefits when you stop eating meat, dairy, eggs : What Happens To Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat, Dairy & Eggs - The Daily Berries