Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

This is still funny to me years after I found it in some crusty punk show on a patch.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I really like vegetarian fare, but have found that it can be improved with some beef.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    I like kale chips. I made them once and it was heaven. Super prone to turning into a bunch of powdered kale but it's still tasty.

When I get my apartment at the end of August I'm having a vegan biscuits and gravy cook-off. I have a banging idea for a recipe. It's on the hush for now just in case it sucks but I'll definitely post pictures when it happens.
    nutritional yeast gravy is the bomb! If that's not in your recipe, give it a whirl. waiting to hear bout your cook-off and the best veg gravy recipe.

mtbr member
    Iím a 57-year-old divorced man that loves to ride mountain bikes and would like to change the food I eat. The problem is, Iím lazy when it comes to eating. Itís easy for me to just put a hamburger or steak on the barbecue and Iím done. Just about every thing I cook is on the barbecue. Itís just too hot here in the summer to cook in the kitchen.
    Another problem I have is that I only eat a lite breakfast before I ride and hours later dinner. I know thatís not good but the day just seems to slip by and I donít eat.
    I have a friend that is a Vegan but he doesnít have to prepare his meals. His wife stays at home and makes all the meals (lucky guy).
    My question is how do I get started on a whole grain Vegan diet with out spending hours in the kitchen every day?
    Please help! I know it would be the best thing for my over all health.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    Iím a 57-year-old divorced man that loves to ride mountain bikes and would like to change the food I eat. The problem is, Iím lazy when it comes to eating. Itís easy for me to just put a hamburger or steak on the barbecue and Iím done. Just about every thing I cook is on the barbecue. Itís just too hot here in the summer to cook in the kitchen.
    Another problem I have is that I only eat a lite breakfast before I ride and hours later dinner. I know thatís not good but the day just seems to slip by and I donít eat.
    I have a friend that is a Vegan but he doesnít have to prepare his meals. His wife stays at home and makes all the meals (lucky guy).
    My question is how do I get started on a whole grain Vegan diet with out spending hours in the kitchen every day?

Have a read of the book "Thrive" by Brendan Brazier. Many recipes and great nutrition info.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    nutritional yeast gravy is the bomb! If that's not in your recipe, give it a whirl. waiting to hear bout your cook-off and the best veg gravy recipe.
    You eat live animals?! That's just mean.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    You eat live animals?! That's just mean.
    are you referring to yeast? fungi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nohj View Post
    I respect all vegetarians but I keep on wondering how do they survive. so you guys are awesome! it's hard! =)
    To me, the hardest part is getting used to the radical change in diet. I can't really say as a "hardcore" vegetarian, but most of my diet consists of all-natural and organic foods, and I rarely eat meats except for fish and eggs...if you count them as meat .
    The good part is that many people are now switching to more healthful diets. The demand for healthy foods has skyrocketed, which helps bring the cost down. More people are visiting their local farmers' markets and natural food stores than ever before. Plus, nutritional research has opened up many job opportunities that will very likely continue to grow.
    "Be prepared, not scared"
    ~Cody Lundin

"What is stronger, fear or hope?"
    ~Lance Armstrong

mtbr member
    Ok, I will start with an easy one. This one is SO easy for meat eaters to pick up too, you won't know the difference!

1 pkg. Morningstar Griller crumbles (found in the frozen section)
    1 can of Manwich sloppy Joe mix
    1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
    1 onion, any color, diced
    2 bell peppers, any colors, sliced thinly
    olive oil

Cook the crumbles according to package and set aside. Cook the onion and bell pepper on medium high heat in a tablespoon or so of olive oil until the onion begins to brown. Add tomatoes, sauce, and crumbles, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Allow to cook for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with a scant amount of black pepper. Manwich tastes better than generic sloppy joe mix, so spend the extra 20 cents for the good stuff!

You can serve this like a traditional sloppy joe, on a bun, with or without cheese. I personally love to make stuffed peppers with it. Just follow the recipe, then put the cooked sloppy joe inside of a hollowed out and cleaned bell pepper. Cover loosely with foil, and bake about 25-35 minutes, or until the outside of the pepper begins to brown and darken. It gets super sweet and fire-roasty! YUM.

I have a legit question to ask you all. As a preemptive defensive--yeah, maybe it's unnecessary--please, meat-eaters keep the snark and guffaw to yourselves. It's actually a concern for me. Also, Durianrider, keep your opinion yours. I don't give a **** what you think.

So there's a race this weekend and I live in the South. As such, there will be no vegan food at all. The price for the race includes food and no they don't refund any monies if you're not eating, I tried; every race. Anyway, the food is BBQ and probably mayonnaise slathered sides (macaroni salad, potato salad, probably veggies cooked in lard, etc.). So my question is: do I just suck it up and eat the food? I'm not opposed to eating meat that I know where it's from and the farmer and how it was raised but chances are I know none of this about the meat being served here. It's probably some factory farmed, drug and hormone injected sick decrepit cow/pig. I don't eat meat often (maybe once a year, maybe, and even then it's only like two sausage links) and don't really like the way a lot of it makes me feel all bloated and sluggish. Since I can't afford to pay for food twice--race provided and store bought vegan--should I just not eat? I only have rice at home since I'm broke. Do I just stick to the mayo crusted side dishes and eschew the meat? How would you all handle this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    When I went vegan/ vegetarian, I had exception days. They were special events, just like you describe, where there were no other options, and I really wanted to be polite (plus I was freakin HUNGRY). Eat some grilled corn on the cob, baked beans (even if there is bacon in them, they will most likely be the healthiest thing that won't upset your stomach too bad) with cornbread, skip the mayo infused stuff for your own sake (it will make you feel like death), and grab a few ribs or a burger (go for chicken if they have it, your stomach will be less pissed at you). You will feel like **** afterwards, remember why you went vegan, and not be tempted again until you forget this lesson

I sure as hell didn't hold it against myself, nor would I hold it against others--you shouldn't either. Go for it, but go easy on the meat so you don't feel *too* sick afterwards

meh... whatever
    I have a legit question to ask you all. As a preemptive defensive--yeah, maybe it's unnecessary--please, meat-eaters keep the snark and guffaw to yourselves. It's actually a concern for me. Also, Durianrider, keep your opinion yours. I don't give a **** what you think.

So there's a race this weekend and I live in the South. As such, there will be no vegan food at all. The price for the race includes food and no they don't refund any monies if you're not eating, I tried; every race. Anyway, the food is BBQ and probably mayonnaise slathered sides (macaroni salad, potato salad, probably veggies cooked in lard, etc.). So my question is: do I just suck it up and eat the food? I'm not opposed to eating meat that I know where it's from and the farmer and how it was raised but chances are I know none of this about the meat being served here. It's probably some factory farmed, drug and hormone injected sick decrepit cow/pig. I don't eat meat often (maybe once a year, maybe, and even then it's only like two sausage links) and don't really like the way a lot of it makes me feel all bloated and sluggish. Since I can't afford to pay for food twice--race provided and store bought vegan--should I just not eat? I only have rice at home since I'm broke. Do I just stick to the mayo crusted side dishes and eschew the meat? How would you all handle this?
    personally, i would handle it by not eating the animal based stuff simply because (like you) i don't like how i feel after eating that stuff. we're only talking about one meal here, and it's not like you'll suffer deficit by missing a meal loaded with animal proteins, fats, eggs, dairy, and processed sugar. just the opposite, actually.

given the choice between a bowl of rice and the items you referenced i'd stick with the bowl of rice.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

AZ
    banned

I personally would go without the meat, packing your own food is not possible?

I have rice and some quinoa. It's a six hour race and I already eat like 3,000+ calories for a sedentary day. I just get kind of irked that the food price is included but there's no opt out option so I'm paying double for food. Bringing food from my house means there's less there for me when I get home on top of paying to not eat at the race. I think I'll just bring quinoa and rice with salt and pepper. My stomach doesn't really get mad at me for eating gross stuff as it's pretty resilient, I just feel bloated and sluggish, no pain or upsetting though. It's the joys of login in the South I guess. I swear I'm organizing my own race one day and the only food options are going to be Triangle Raw Foods Truck and Fiction Kitchen.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    I have rice and some quinoa. It's a six hour race and I already eat like 3,000+ calories for a sedentary day. I just get kind of irked that the food price is included but there's no opt out option so I'm paying double for food. Bringing food from my house means there's less there for me when I get home on top of paying to not eat at the race. I think I'll just bring quinoa and rice with salt and pepper. My stomach doesn't really get mad at me for eating gross stuff as it's pretty resilient, I just feel bloated and sluggish, no pain or upsetting though. It's the joys of login in the South I guess. I swear I'm organizing my own race one day and the only food options are going to be Triangle Raw Foods Truck and Fiction Kitchen.
    I'd find a middle ground and take some food and then eat the best of the worst that they have to offer. If you can't spare much then maybe set aside a little each meal for the rest of the week so you don't totally miss too many calories but you can stock up enough to cover the majority of the meal? I was pleasantly surprised that at the last race they had black bean veggie burgers as an option, hopefully you will find the options are better than you fear.
    Last edited by Asmodeus2112; 10-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    In my opinion you need to take it in small steps. Try to find a few things that you can make and then add them as sides to your meat meals. After you accumulate some recipes then start changing the ratio, bring the meat portions down and increase the veggie stuff. It's easy to eat raw vegetables. Get some carrots, broccoli, celery and eat it raw. Add some nut butter to the celery. Buy some pre-made hummus and dip things in it. Get a programmable rice cooker and cook rice, quinoa and oatmeal. Easy. Add some raw nuts to the oatmeal. Eat fruit. Apples, bananas, blueberries. All raw, no prep besides cleaning. Grill some veggies with your meat. Make the meat smaller every time. Grill peppers, onions, asparagus, mushrooms. Just clean, cut and throw on the grill. A bit of seasoning. Seasoning is important. I love green chiles and hot things, so indulge on that if you like it. There are so, so many options. Also rice, quinoa keeps nicely for a day or so in the fridge and tastes pretty good reheated. Just start adding some good things and reducing the bad, and after a while you will have a whole bunch of options to replace the meat. I love to eat, and being vegetarian has been so fun because there are so many things to eat. And, even if you don't get to be fully vegetarian or vegan, you will be eating better and that is what matters most.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    I'd find a middle ground and take some food and then eat the best of the worst that they have to offer. If you can't spare much then maybe set aside a little each meal for the rest of the week so you don't totally miss too many calories but you can stock up enough to cover the majority of the meal? I was pleasantly surprised that at the last race they had black bean veggie burgers as an option, hopefully you will find the options are better than you fear.
    I'm not sure where you're from but trust me on this one, it's most likely worst than I fear. As a general rule we use and consume animals at probably a 50% faster rate than all of the universe combined.

Save Jesus

There is no reason for you to eat any meat if you don't like it. Perhaps there will be vegetables and fruit that you will find tolerable, or maybe even cornbread. Bring your own food. It's really not that expensive. Yes, you are getting shafted on subsidizing the expensive meat food of others. Many things in life are like this as well.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure where you're from but trust me on this one, it's most likely worst than I fear. As a general rule we use and consume animals at probably a 50% faster rate than all of the universe combined.
    I'm in Texas, not the best, but yes I can understand that there are worse places in regards to veg food progressiveness. Good luck, I hope you have a good race.

mtbr member
    May 2011

I suggest moving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    I suggest moving.
    I was gonna suggest he get a job.
    Nobody cares...........

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by PVR View Post
    I like vegans - taste sort of like chicken.
    Vegetarians taste better.
    Vegans taste a little gamey.

Chamois Dropper
    I've been vegetarian for about five years, and at 42 I'm in the best shape of my life. I find it very easy to maintain this diet, I eat a little dairy, just some nice cheese once in a while, some organic whole milk in my morning cup of tea. Traveling in Europe is sometimes a little challenging, I remember Vienna being a little tough. ( Bread and cheese for 4 days is a little tough on the system) . I'm happy with a big plate of vegetables, some need meat replacement products. Here's a chili recipe that everyone I make it for enjoys, meat eaters included:
    Wick Fowler's 2 alarm chili mix or Carrol Shelby's mix
    1 bag Morning Star crumbles
    1 onion
    1 can black beans
    1 can chick peas
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can kidney beans
    8 oz can tomato sauce
    2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
    1 cup frozen corn (optional)
    Chop up the onion and saute it down with some olive oil in a big 4.5 quart saucepan. drain all the beans and diced tomatoes. Add all the ingredients , following the directions on the chili mix. Stir it up and cook on about medium low, covered, for 45 minutes or so stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if it's too thick. I let it simmer on low for a while longer if i have time. I find that a very small amount of the cayenne goes a long way, only add a tiny bit, you can add more later if you want. This chili always tastes better the next day, and this amount feed two of us for a few days. This recipe is not set in stone, the beans, diced tomatoes and corn are all optional, or can be substituted with something else.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Rogue Exterminator

Wow kjlued, you're such an awesome, mature, grown adult-type person. I've never seen those pictures before, thank you so much for sharing them. You're brilliant. I mean, it's such a great idea to be reactionary to a choice in diet that people put a lot of thought into and time researching why and how to stop eating/eat less meat and you, I'm sure, spent as much or more time looking through hundreds of thousand of pictures of animal carcasses cooked up for consumption until you found the exact right ones to post in this thread. Because, none of us eating meat, there's nothing more offensive to our sensibilities than animals we used to eat and see all the time being eaten in person. Those pictures though, whoo man! That's another whole level of seeing we just can't take. So, thanks a million for posting some very relevant and awesome pictures to our thread where we share recipes and ideas for meals. It really helps us out.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast