Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    Double post like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    i'd like to supplement this statement with empirical and historical facts and evidence if i may.

at 6'3" i've been vegetarian/vegan (including macro in my 20's) most of my life and primarily vegan for the last 12. i've been all over the world and have not found the statement quoted above to be true. not in the least. in fact, the poorer the nation the easier it is to be vegan because they do not have the resources to dump into such an inefficient food source (i.e. meat/dairy) nor do the poor have the resources to buy what is produced, in fact, the poorer the nation the more hearty the markets are with an abundance of fruits, grains, and veggies.

raising meat is not only an inefficient use of resources but a poor investment as well because it does not return an increase on the protein invested into it either in quantity or quality. aside from the fact that it takes an investment of around 16 lbs. of grain to produce one pound of meat, that pound of meat is also a vastly inferior nutritionally to plant based foods both in healthy fats and proteins while being packed with carcinogens (e.g. over 300 known carcinogens form when grilling meat), unhealthy fats, high in uric acid (causes gout, kidney stones, renal distress/failure, and bone density loss when the body attempts to combat the metabolic acidosis by buffering it with calcium stores from the teeth and bones in an attempt to being the body's pH back to 7.4), and that's just the free range "healthy" meats. that's not even taking into account the gmo meats and livestock pumped full of hormones and vaccines!

interesting to note that without government subsidies meat would be around $90/lb. but that's an entirely other topic...

further, it's a totally fabricated myth that one needs special supplements or items that can only be gotten at a "whole foods" type store to be vegan. all you do is skip the meat and dairy aisle, and if you're smart all the processed boxed foods.

VIOLA! it's really that easy.

i've been all over mexico and central america and guess what? easy to be vegan. lived in bangkok thailand for a while. guess what? easy to be vegan. in fact, REEEAAAAALLLLLY easy because of all the buddhists. the entire country is very, very vegan friendly. there are vegan eateries EVERYWHERE from formal sit-down establishments to little food carts and shanties on the side of the road.

when i was in cambodia? ditto! vietnam too. all through the mediterranean and caribbean as well.

again with all due respect i would most strongly disagree.

ancient egyptians were primarily vegegarian/vegan. ethiopians and many african tribes were as well, and some still are. the people of the hunza valley in pakistan too, and they are among the longest living culture on the planet. in fact, the hunza valley has long been referred to as the original shangri-la.

so the truth is that many cultures have for millennia been primarily vegetarian, consuming animal flesh (be it mammal or fish) only sparingly and/or infrequently or using a small amount of meat as a garnish or for flavoring only including the mayans, peruvians, incas, and most asian cultures (notably japanese & chinese). even the peasants throughout europe have been primarily vegetarian for thousands of years, being famous for their gruel and hearty bread.

in fact, throughout history meat consumption has been primarily associated with affluence and wealth be they kings or titans of industry or even in biblical record. a quick study of history shows that even here in the u.s. meat did not become such a hugely consumed part of the diet until AFTER ww2. prior to that the diet was mostly grains and vegetables with the occasional, infrequent garnish of animal flesh.

and interesting to note that throughout history the rich who ate diets high in meats and diary because they could afford to and did so to flaunt their wealth were not as healthy as the peasants, who not only lived longer but also were much more physically robust during the course of their lives PARTICULARLY in old age.

and we still see the direct correlation between increased animal flesh/secretion consumption with stunted life span and quality of life. the "standard american diet" which is now high in animal flesh/secretions is directly correlated with disease and premature death. cultures who are primarily vegetarians, most notably asians, did not suffer from lifestyle diseases such as coronary artery disease, heart disease, diabetes, and the plethora of cancers that are rampant in america. however, as they adopt the american diet high in animal products/by-products the lifestyle diseases and premature death rate enters their culture.

the fact is that most cancers, diabetes, heart/artery disease, kidney/renal disease, and even dimentias are lifestyle related disease brought on as a direct result of what one's diet.
    countless studies over the last 100 years (including many that span decades and follow subjects throughout their lives) have shown time and time again that vegetarians on average not only live 10-20 years longer than carnivores, but also that the rates of the above mentioned lifestyle diseases plummets as one moves closer to a wholly plant based diet.

the evidence is there and is irrefutable. plain and simple.

again, not necessary to grow one's own food to be vegan or even primarily vegetarian. simply skip all the garbage in the market (animal flesh/secretions, processed foods, refined sugars). hit the produce section, the dried goods section, and read all labels before putting it into your cart.

heck, i don't grow my own food and have found it comically easy to maintain a vegan diet all over the globe.
    Well said man.

I was one of the aholes too had always had to poke at others for not eating meat. (Rather than keep my negative remarks to myself)
    Well, 7 months ago, I gave up meat and dairy, and never felt better. I maintain alkaline foods, and lost 55 pounds, ride more, further, faster, my vision has improved, and I get zero aches and pains, not even a headache in 7 months. (well, its a pain to find good meals while out and about) But I don't miss the animal flesh.

And true about the other parts of the world. I visited Costa Rica and Panama several times and after a week being there I always felt better, even though I thought I was missing Arbys, Wendys, Applebees, and all them, but I was alway full after stopping at one of the roadside sodas and having the comida tipica.

Forks Over Knives movie, and pH Miracle book has been a life changer.
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

Gigantic Hawk
    Anybody here try quinoa pancakes? There are several recipes floating around on the web. Some use straight quinoa flour while others use a mix of wheat/buckwheat flour and whole cooked quinoa. I'm thinking that this may be a great powerhouse staple for breakfast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    In the original spirit of the thread, I figured i would give my current cravings:

Vegan Tempeh Burrito w/Creamy Almond Sauce
    December 2008

I take this recipe and add fresh jalapeno to the filling and red pepper flakes to the sauce before blending.

Sweet Chili Roasted Sweet Potato Spring Rolls
    {Sweet Chili} Roasted Sweet Potato Spring Rolls | Naturally Ella

Good as is, but rice papers are a ***** to work with if the water is still really hot.

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    I am Vegi, i still eat fish however, so Pesco-Vegi is the proper term.

I love it, i feel great, it solved some issues i had while eating meat, it uses less resources and can support larger populations, and i still go out and do 260 mile rides.
    Same here!

Well not the 260 mile rides, but Pescetarian FTW! I feel so much better than when I was eating meat 5-6 days a week. I have only been at it for 8 months or so but I don't really see myself ever going back to that level of meat consumption. I would eat meat occasionally if it is local, organic, truely free range/grass fed etc, but still maybe every other week? once a month?

Don't miss it at all, not even bacon!? lol
    Winter is coming.

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    If the S hit the fan, I have lots of guns and ammo and I will gladly kill an animal for food, as will my vegan wife.

And you you assume that people who eat meat don't eat it out of luxury? Quite the opposite. A meat centric type of diet is only possible because meat ("food") is readily available in the next supermarket - the world is full of p*ssies who couldn't kill, skin and cook an animal for food with their own hands.

This is why I respect and support hunters - these people actually have a relationship with their kill. It's a far cry from some fat lady with diabetes in a moo-moo ordering up 3 Quarter Pounders with Cheese with a milkshake at McDonalds.

Hunters don't let their kill suffer. The death is generally swift and most hunters will pride themselves on a good, fast kill. The meat industry - they don't care if an animal suffers.

We don't live in a apocalyptic society. We live in a rich society that allows us options. I'm a vegetarian because I don't vibe with the ethics of the meat industry. I support small farmers (who sell meat, too), fishermen and hunters. Also - all my stomach issues have gone away - doc says I'm "healthy as a horse".

I'm not one of those bleeding heart liberals throwing paint on fur coats. I hate those causes and they don't do a good job in promoting vegetarianism as an option.

The best compliments that I receive is "You are a vegetarian? How do you stay so muscular?"

I ride 100 miles a week (MTB) and race cyclocross on a veggie diet, throwing in weight training in there. This diet sucks
    QFT! Great post, couldn't agree more!
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon View Post
    QFT! Great post, couldn't agree more!
    In-short.

Almond + blue berry + banana + oatmeal smoothies = WIN

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Love the thread. Mostly vegetarian here, moving towards a whole foods plant based diet but I just cant give up yogurt and cheese quite yet. I have to say pre-ride gotta go smoothie. Strawberry, banana, protein powder, yogurt, apple juice, rasberries, flax seed and water. Blend to goodness and drink. For my rides I usually bring an apple and water and don't have any issues feeling wiped so far. Keep the veg recipes coming, its always nice to know there are others out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drtoph View Post
    Love the thread. Mostly vegetarian here, moving towards a whole foods plant based diet but I just cant give up yogurt and cheese quite yet. I have to say pre-ride gotta go smoothie. Strawberry, banana, protein powder, yogurt, apple juice, rasberries, flax seed and water. Blend to goodness and drink. For my rides I usually bring an apple and water and don't have any issues feeling wiped so far. Keep the veg recipes coming, its always nice to know there are others out there.
    I sometimes add yogurt but for the post-workout smoothie. Before the ride I like a lighter smoothie.

Try adding almonds to your shake! Tons of protein and vitamin E

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I already posted in the thread once, but a change was made to the blog that is really useful. All the recipes are packed in one link, so here it is.

Eat and Live in a way that Nourishes: Recipes

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've been a vegetarian for 10 years =D

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Glad to see a vegetarian/vegan thread here. I am vegan at home, lacto-ovo when out and about (but only when there is no other option. Both DH and I feel so much better and stronger since making the switch. And I'll admit it....I think cows are adorable. Has anyone here seen the Forks over Knives documentary?

mtbr member
    I have been complete plant eater since Sept 2011.
    Yes it was tough at first. Now I am used to with this lifestyle.
    I took this lifestyle mainly for health reason and compassion for animals in the factory farms.
    I am 43 years old avid mountain biker.
    I truly feel I am stronger and have gained endurance. Feel energetic.
    My wife and Kids are meat eaters....

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Been on the ovo-lacto veggie theme of things for the past week, good stuff there!

Before that... pretty much cut red meat out of the diet 3 years ago and spent the past six months thinking about going to a vegetarian diet before finally taking the plunge and just doing it and cutting meat out all together last week.

It'll be interesting times for sure for the next few times and the next few years. More so that there is a tasty bbq place down the street from my apartment that smells really... really reaaaaallly good. I'm gonna go insane. Of course given some of the circumstances that have led me to alter my diet in such a way, the consequences of giving in to temptation would be not fun.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    It'll be interesting times for sure for the next few times and the next few years. More so that there is a tasty bbq place down the street from my apartment that smells really... really reaaaaallly good. I'm gonna go insane.
    I've been an ovo-lacto for 17 years. No matter what, sometimes meat just smells good. Don't deny the fact that it does, just use it as inspiration to create meals that smell just as good.

Vegan on the S-Works
    Ive been vegan since April 2001 and reversed a lot of serious health issues.

My bamboo roadie is 11kg and I trump crew on 7kg carbon blingers all the time on the local bergs.

I honestly know that my high carb low fat vegan lifestyle keeps me 'TDF lean' all year long regardless of my miles. The main thing that changes is my tan lines.

My gf is vegan for 5 years and dropped 40lbs. This is her from last week.

High carb vegan is literally as close as one can get to the legal EPO

Gigantic Hawk
    I don't know if I could ever pull off being vegan, but props to you and your gf.

It's actually not that hard. It really just depends on where you draw the line of reason. I had to modify the **** out of my ideology since I couldn't draw a reasonable line. I still eat vegan and just started dating a girl who is vegan and uses the label. I don't label my diet anymore because of my line drawing issue. I wouldn't eat bread at restaurants or if it had anything that may have come from an animal; same thing with food dyes and cleaning products. I was still healthy as all get out but it was becoming a huge mental drain. Essentially, anything in the "Animal Ingredients A-Z" book was off limits in my mind and that book is stacked. Now though, I keep it in reason. Additionally, if I'm hungry and someone is throwing out food I don't care really what it is, I'll eat it. I'd rather eat it than let any foodstuff go to waste. I dislike that some of my friends eat meat/dairy when we go out and I play clean-up crew but that's just my nerosis getting to me. I have this problem with our waste generation as a society too, so I generally try to dumpster as much of my food as possible. You'd be surprised how much ripe food is in there. And food that is ripe and still good; thrown out for no other reason than to make room for the new shipment of food. It kills me. I've been dumpstering since 2006 and there's never a time where I couldn't find enough food to feed myself and a houseful of people. We'd have leftovers most of the time from dinner plus unused veggies for the meals the next whole week. There was eight of us living in the house.

Not sure where I was goin with this bushleaguery but yeah. Not too hard as long as you stay on your game.

HOV
    mtbr member
    Great thread, glad it's going strong. I was a veg for around 7 years then went off for a while, now I'm getting back to it.

I'm not surprised to see the usual "people eating tasy animals" and "for every one you don't eat, I'll eat three". Same tired comments from the tired comment playbook.

Vegan on the S-Works
    Going vegan is like riding a bike. It looks scarier than it is lol!

I think we can all remember when cycling was 'no way man!'.

I remember when I was 8 and too scared to ride out of the saddle. I remember saying to myself 'riding in the saddle is fine, no need to stand up..' That was back in 1985 and I can even remember what street it was on.

Funny how we change. When I learned how bad eating animals is for our health and the environment I went vegan over night.

A quick google search will show literally a few hundred thousand vegan recipes. Not to mention all the vegan options at resturants thesedays. Heck even junk food places like Taco Bell serve vegan dishes! lol!

Gnarly
    I don;t know what took me so long but I recently discovered Kale. I didn't know how to prepare it, so I've ignored this vitamin rich food
    This salad is currently one of my favs"

Basic Recipe
    4-6 cups kale, loosely packed, leaves only remove stems and centre ribs
    - of the juice from 1 lemon OR 1/3 of the juice of a ruby red grapefruit
    cup tahini
    3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, mashed (optional)
    salt & pepper, to taste
    hot red pepper flakes, to taste

Instructions
    1. Whisk together lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, (garlic), salt, pepper, and a generous pinch (or more to taste) of hot red pepper flakes.
    2. Pour over kale in serving bowl and toss well.
    3. Let kale sit for at least 10 minutes * so that the lemon juice softens the leaves.

* Note this salad can be made hours/day before eating so that the kale leaves will be soft and tender.

Options for Salad
    add nuts, or avocado, shredded carrots, vegetarians may add parmesan Asiago cheese etc

I'm a life long vegetarian and transitioned to vegan (former roadie and now addicted to dh),
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Much of my diet focuses on all natural or organic foods. It's pretty shocking to me how disgusting commercial foods have become.
    I'm not so sure I'd fall into the vegetarian category (though I have significantly lowered my meat intake), but I will NOT eat chicken. Why? Because almost all chicken in the US contains arsenic, put into the feed so it will make them look "fatter" and "juicier" - and arsenic is used to pressure treat wood. The FDA recently admitted this, and they're actually encouraging you to eat more of it! Yeesh!!

A staple drink in my diet is tea...not really green tea, but lots of black tea and other herbal blends. Black tea can lower triglyceride levels by 40%, greatly reducing risk of heart disease - just three cups a day . It can also prevent type 2 diabetes. And the kicker - just a cup of Black tea a day can dramatically reduce risk of Parkinson's disease by as much as 71%.
    Choice Organic Teas, Tazo, Twinings, and Celestial have incredible blends .
    The good news is that more people are switching to healthier diets than ever before, and the demand for all-natural and organic foods has increased considerably. More and more people are shopping at natural/health food stores and farmers' markets.
    We have a good future ahead of us .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I don;t know what took me so long but I recently discovered Kale. I didn't know how to prepare it, so I've ignored this vitamin rich food
    I love kale and other greens. To me the best way to cook them is at a medium temperature at the end of stir frying other vegetables. Contrary to what so many people in the south say, I think the best way to make it tasty is to just barely cook it...maybe 5 min in a pot of steaming food. You can see the color change as it cooks, and you want to stop it while its still bright green. When its overcooked (i.e., the southern way) it turns a darker yellowish green and tastes bitter to me.

Kale and chard are my favorite, we put them in pretty much any dish to add some texture and more nutrition.

I'm also a huge fan of tempeh. Just sautee it on medium high in some oil until its golden. it works great on a grill too, and drop it in bbq sauce for a good veggie option at cook-outs.

I like kale chips. I made them once and it was heaven. Super prone to turning into a bunch of powdered kale but it's still tasty.

When I get my apartment at the end of August I'm having a vegan biscuits and gravy cook-off. I have a banging idea for a recipe. It's on the hush for now just in case it sucks but I'll definitely post pictures when it happens.

HOV
    mtbr member
    Inspired by this thread, I tried making my own seitan.

It came out well, but the resulting methane explosions were a serious biohazard. It is with regret that I take seitan off my menu.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast