Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Vegetarian and Vegan Passion

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    No, I recover from hard exercise better if I make sure to meet my daily requirement of x grams of protein per y pounds of body weight. Although I feel a general weakness if I don't have enough vegetables over a long period of time.
    Are you following a 100% plant based diet?

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Are you following a 100% plant based diet?
    No, I would die of unhappiness if I tried that.

mtbr member
    May 2011

No, I would die of unhappiness if I tried that.
    Well, you're not qualified to answer the question then, are you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know I already answered but here's an article I found on a guy who hiked the Pacific Crest trail (all of it) in less than 60 days. He credits a vegan diet to helping him recover day after day.
    A vegan who chewed up the Pacific Crest Trail - latimes.com
    I like what he says when he gets asked how he gets protein:
    "I get my protein the same way a gorilla does, or a wild mustang or an elephant"
    It boggles my mind that people think we have more need for protein than a half ton cow or elephant. I thought this even before I was vegan.

Gigantic Hawk
    I don't think that my plant based diet helps me recover any quicker than anybody else's diet. I've been meat free for 18 years so I can't really compare it to much, but there are plenty of days when I'm dragging ass. I think proper sleep, hydration, and training have more to do with it. That, and making sure I ingest a good mix of proteins, carbs, and good fats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I don't think that my plant based diet helps me recover any quicker than anybody else's diet. I've been meat free for 18 years so I can't really compare it to much, but there are plenty of days when I'm dragging ass. I think proper sleep, hydration, and training have more to do with it. That, and making sure I ingest a good mix of proteins, carbs, and good fats.
    ^^^This.

Any number of those mentioned factors affect me the most. Plant-based mostly just provided an overall sense of well being, much of it mental. It also forced me to pay close attention to what I was eating, so I would normally get the things I didn't when being careless.

Physically, the affects were minor over plain proper diet. I had less stomach problems due to my own personal body quirks, and, as mentioned before, when I actually balance stuff and eat what I am supposed to, the affects are felt.

I strongly feel that animal products *can* be consumed and a person can have the same benefits of a pure plant based diet as long as they maintain balance and listen to their body (like avoiding dairy for those who are more sensitive to it). The vast majority of people don't, and there are plenty of vegans, especially young ones, who still eat junk and don't get any benefits because of it. Oreos and french fries are vegan, but living on those will result in a far less healthy person than someone who eats lean meats and fish in proper proportions. The mental aspect is the BIGGEST boundary in the vast majority of poor diets. This actually has studies to back it up, and why the diet industry is so successful, yet obesity is still a critical problem, and getting worse. If it takes a hamburger a week to get someone to eat their veggies and cut back on the junk for the other 6 days, than dammit, that hamburger is healthier than an extra kale salad! Good for you if eating properly only requires as much willpower as waking up for work in the morning. Keep rocking the healthy lifestyle! Most people need more help than you, so compromises need to be made to get the help where it is needed most. A bit of bedside manner, so to speak, to show empathy to how they feel, understanding for them personally, and a willingness to meet someone halfway to help them, instead of telling them to meet you at the finish line. I hope some doctors and nutritionists read this and take it to heart. Of course, every once in a while, someone just needs a plain 'ol kick in the ass when good bedside manner fails. It's a case by case deal.

Veganism and vegetarianism provide really easy to follow templates for people who need to crack down on their diet. No books to consult, or celebrity fad diets to pay for, simply reading labels and googling will give you all you answers to get started. For the extremely noobish dieters, those who need drastic changes, or those with very specific dietary needs, all the help needed can be found from the majority of nutritionists out there. And, nutritionists are gladly covered by every insurance plan. Atkins is not. In fact, some even provide you plan discounts for doing so. They practically BEG you to see them!

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    Well said.

I don't push my diet on others because what I do may not be right for somebody else. However, eating smartly is the correct thing for everybody. I'm sure that none of us eat a perfect diet. I know that I have an ongoing issue with sugar consumption. I eat way less of it than the normal American, but I'm still trying to eat even less of it. That ish is like crack, and on days when I haven't had a solid breakfast and/or lunch, a bag of Sour Patch Kids becomes very tempting.

If there is one thing that everybody can learn from this thread, it's that there is no one correct diet for everybody, but that we all should try to eat as healthy as we see fit.

No Stranger to danger....
    Vegos and vegans look a bit sick, and they seem to fart a lot and be very pasty looking like they are just about to die.
    Is this a road i want to go down?
    Surely fish and chicken is ok to eat and is beneficial to a healthy life?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    If they look sick they are doin it wrong.

Due to factory farming and polluted water filled with mercury, you need to be very careful with chicken and fish. You can make yourself sick, even if prepared healthily.

Actually, too much fish explains a LOT about you, Tone's. Ever hear of Mad Hatter disease? It's a real thing. Happened in the Victorian era to hatters who used mercury to make the velvet hats that were so popular. They went crazy from sniffing the fumes, and acted just like the mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland! Fish are heavily polluted by mercury, which sticks in their bodies. Certain fish will give you a yearly dosage of the stuff in just a few servings. Not sure what the water quality is like down under, but anything near factories or from rivers that factories have ever dumped waste in, are contaminated with dangerous levels of the stuff. The worst part is, most of it travels from coal factories, so it spreads to areas that don't have them. And the fish will move around, eating contaminated fish, then being eaten and contaminating fish in a new area. Huge mess.

But we still love ya, Tone's. Mad Hatter diseased and all. <3

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Vegos and vegans look a bit sick, and they seem to fart a lot and be very pasty looking like they are just about to die.
    You're an idiot. You keep proving it over and over again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    If they look sick they are doin it wrong.

Due to factory farming and polluted water filled with mercury, you need to be very careful with chicken and fish. You can make yourself sick, even if prepared healthily.

Actually, too much fish explains a LOT about you, Tone's. Ever hear of Mad Hatter disease? It's a real thing. Happened in the Victorian era to hatters who used mercury to make the velvet hats that were so popular. They went crazy from sniffing the fumes, and acted just like the mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland! Fish are heavily polluted by mercury, which sticks in their bodies. Certain fish will give you a yearly dosage of the stuff in just a few servings. Not sure what the water quality is like down under, but anything near factories or from rivers that factories have ever dumped waste in, are contaminated with dangerous levels of the stuff. The worst part is, most of it travels from coal factories, so it spreads to areas that don't have them. And the fish will move around, eating contaminated fish, then being eaten and contaminating fish in a new area. Huge mess.

But we still love ya, Tone's. Mad Hatter diseased and all. <3
    Good post. I have to say that years ago when I went through the effort of juicing every day I could go all day without eating and not get tired. I am going to try to get back into it.

Regarding mercury in fish, you want to avoid old fish, like big tuna and swordfish. Salmon are good because they don't live long but they accumulate PCB's and all that other nasty hydrophobic toxic stuff we dump everywhere. Sockeye are the best since they feed on krill whereas other salmon feed on little fish, one step up the food chain and therefore with 10X greater toxin accumulation. However, there's only so much sockeye to go around.

My roomate just left for a month and he left a chicken carcass in the fridge, just a regular non-organic one. I can't let food go to waste so I ate a bunch, and I'm not feeling too well. We'll see how I do tomorrow..

mtbr member
    I'm sure you are a very clever and witty fellow, but why can't you save this brand of crap for the Off Camber threads.

Quote Originally Posted by guamjim View Post
    I'm sure you are a very clever and witty fellow, but why can't you save this brand of crap for the Off Camber threads.
    Cheers mate, but by the look of your avatar, you are exactly what im talking about.......
    And i dont see my post as crap at all, see here in Aus we dont take ourselves to seriously, lifes about laughing and being able to laugh at ourselves and others, maybe your life might have a bit more joy in it if you didnt take yourself and others so seriously, cheers mate, and dont forget to smile, the world looks different when you smile, learn to laugh at yourself and others, we will all be dead one day, and theres not much laughing or smilin you can do from 6 foot under....

You're an idiot. You keep proving it over and over again.
    Mate, dont come down to an idiots level, They will hammer you with experience.
    And only idiots bother with talking to idiots, so its not looking good for you is it?

Cheers
    Last edited by Tone's; 08-27-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I have a lot of respect for vegans. Along with a lot of pity.
    Respect because those of us who are true vegetarians can out ride you meat eaters and pity because we usually ride alone at the front of the pack.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Maybe it's a B12 deficiency.

Save Jesus
    ^^^This.

[plus some other stuff]
    ^^^ This x2

mtbr member
    May 2011

B12 deficiency is rare. Only a small number of people develop b12 deficiency, and most of them eat meat.

Anyway, I've cleaned up my diet quite a bit in the last month. I've been on a 100% plant based diet for a years now, but ate junk food like desserts and other processed food. Now, Im using my vitamix for two big green smoothies a day, and eating mostly fresh whole food. Lots of fresh, whole foods and no packaged, processed crap.

What a difference. My recovery time between workouts is much faster. I killed myself with heavy kettlebells yesterday, today I feel barely anything in the way of soreness. I hit the trails more times a week for hard rides, sometimes for several consecutive days in a row. Was never able to feel this good sustaining that activity level before.

Laramie, Wyoming
    What kind of smoothies are you making in your Vitamix?

Just hit it with speed
    Frozen bananas, rice milk, frozen strawberries. Awesome, simple.

I thought my wife should be committed when she wanted to buy a Vitamix for $300+, now we use it 4 or 5 times a week. It will shred frozen bananas and strawberries easily.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    What kind of smoothies are you making in your Vitamix?
    Green smoothies. My favorite is frozen pineapple, frozen mango, a huge handful of fresh kale and/or spinach, with a serving of hemp protein.

mtbr member
    I LOVE hemp protein! Easy on the stomach, and makes me poop like a champ!

Save Jesus
    No, I recover from hard exercise better if I make sure to meet my daily requirement of x grams of protein per y pounds of body weight.
    Anyway, I've cleaned up my diet quite a bit in the last month. I've been on a 100% plant based diet for a years now, but ate junk food like desserts and other processed food. Now, Im using my vitamix for two big green smoothies a day, and eating mostly fresh whole food.

What a difference. My recovery time between workouts is much faster.Was never able to feel this good sustaining that activity level before.
    Green smoothies. My favorite is frozen pineapple, frozen mango, a huge handful of fresh kale and/or spinach, with a serving of hemp protein.
    Yeah, makes sense to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No one is disputing that protein is a critical part of recovering no matter what diet you follow. Let's all stop fighting over what "diet"/lifestyle/whatever you wanna call it is better than the other and just ride bikes.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinShoes View Post
    No one is disputing that protein is a critical part of recovering no matter what diet you follow. Let's all stop fighting over what "diet"/lifestyle/whatever you wanna call it is better than the other and just ride bikes.
    Kevin, you're missing the point. My bike is better than yours, and you should only ride what I ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Yeah, makes sense to me.
    Yeah? And guess what hemp is. What is it? That's right, a plant.

Amazing, right?

mtbr member
    I had no idea this was here.

I am stoked.

Anyone got any great vegan on bike bar recipes? I'm getting bored of the usual Clif Bar regiment (plus I think that I need a higher sugar to protein lean while on the bike). I also realized I need half a bottle of water with a Cliff Bar they are so dry.

I saw some nice sushi rice "bars" someone made once, anyone try those?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Vegetarian and Vegan Passion

Quote Originally Posted by FatCloud View Post

I saw some nice sushi rice "bars" someone made once, anyone try those?
    They are Allen Lim's rice cakes. It can be vegan, vegetarian or meaty.

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm sure these aren't the bars you're referring to but I really like Amrita bars. No soy, nuts or dairy and they are primarily date based with some brown rice protein. They actually taste good too. The first (and only) energy bar that I'll actually eat because it tastes good too even when I'm not riding.

Amrita Health Foods

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got a magic bullet for Christmas. Anyone have good recipes? I've got the obvious in smoothies/hummus but I know some people can make "cream" sauces with nuts or something for it.

mtbr member
    I got a magic bullet for Christmas. Anyone have good recipes? I've got the obvious in smoothies/hummus but I know some people can make "cream" sauces with nuts or something for it.
    Regular Cheese Sauce
    1 1/2 Tbsp Vegan Margarine, such as Earth Balance (found at most stores)
    2 1/2 Tbsp flour
    2 cups nondairy milk, divided (I use soy. Make sure it is unsweetened!)
    4 ounces pimentos
    2 1/2 tsp regular red label 'Spike' spice mix
    3 Tbsp dehydrated onions
    3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    black pepper, to taste
    5 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
    1/4 cup raw cashews
    1 tablespoon lemon juice, more to taste
    arrowroot, as needed to thicken (around 2 tsp. Mix well with a small amount of COLD water before adding in!)

Blend together cashews, pimentos, and a few tablespoons of soymilk (don't be afraid to use too much, you just need some moisture so the cashews will blend into a puree) and set aside. Make a rue with margarine and flour. Add the remaining soymilk to the rue and cook down on medium low heat for a few minutes. Add the cashew puree and all the spices and cook down for around 5 minutes, or until thick. Add cornstarch only if you need it to thicken the sauce more. The lemon juice makes the sauce taste more 'sharp', like sharper cheddar. Try the sauce with the 1 tbsp, and add a bit more, teaspoon at a time, to adjust the flavor to be a bit more bold. Or, leave it out all together to make it more mellow.

You can also use a bit of plain old yellow mustard to give it a nice bold flavor instead of the lemon juice, or use it together with the lemon juice. Experiment! Feel free to add more spices to it for specific uses, like some canned chilies and olives for nachos. You can make a great Alfredo sauce for pasta or a white vegan lasagna (crumble some tofu and fresh spinach between the layers and pour this sauce on top of the layers). To make Alfredo, use only the rue, soy milk, cashews, garlic powder, a bit of salt, bit of pepper, and an Italian seasoning blend!

Smokey Chipotle Cheese Sauce
    2 tablespoons coconut oil
    2 tablespoons chickpea flour (or other gluten-free flour)
    2 cups non-dairy milk of choice (make sure it is unsweetened!)
    4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
    2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped (use only 1 if you don't like really spicy!)
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 Tbsp African Smoke spice mix (from Trader Joes)
    2 tsp 21 seasoning mix (from Trader Joes)
    2 tsp regular red label Spike spice mix (found at most grocery stores, Clark's should have it)
    1 Tbsp 'low sodium' yellow label Spike spice mix (Clark's had it)
    2 cups Daiya cheddar (one 8-ounce package), OR 5 oz 'Hickory Smoked' cheese spread (found at Clark's Nutrition. I think it was cheaper than Daiya, and I thought it tasted WAY better too!)
    Directions:
    Melt coconut oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add chickpea flour, whisking until smooth. Cook into a rue by stirring constantly until the mixture begins to just barely brown.* Add non-dairy milk and Nutritional Yeast and whisk continually for 5 minutes (to avoid lumps) until thickened. Remove from heat and add chopped chipotles as well as a couple tablespoons of adobo sauce from the can (to taste), and all the spices; stir to combine. Gradually add Daiya cheddar or cheese spread, whisking as you do so, until smooth consistency is reached (may take a few minutes).

*Some people say it smells like buttered popcorn when it reaches this point, and that is how you know it is ready! You can find lots of videos online that show you how to make it, so head on over to Youtube and practice a bit before you plan to make the sauce. Rue is the secret to the BEST vegan sauces, and it is SO easy to make once you get it down!

mtbr member
    To make a plain cream sauce you can add anything to, I wing it. Here is the gist;

Cook diced onion in a sucepan, using your favorite oil or vegan margarine. Use enough oil to make a rue with the oil. Once the onions are translucent and have cooked their flavor in the oil, remove the onion with slotted spoon and set aside, reserving the oil for rue. Make the rue. Add soy milk, mix thoroughly, and cook on low heat. Bend together about 2 cups soy or almond milk (unsweetened), a handful of tofu chunks, and a handful of cashews. Add more tofu if it is runny, more milk if thick. You want it like a cream. Add to rue and soymilk, and cook until thick. Season it as you want, salt will be essential at the least. Add the onion back in there too while it is cooking down, unless you hate the stuff!

That is basically how you make a really nice vegan 'mother sauce' (bechamel). It is used as the base for all cream sauces, and you can make large batches and freeze small bags of it so you always have some around.

I make this stuff with a magic bullet too, only cause I don't have the counter space for a real blender or the money for something better. The bullet overheats with more than a couple minutes of use, and it doesn't like to blend thick or solid stuff. It sucks at making pesto. It works great for these sauces, though! I just get annoyed at how limited and picky the thing is...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can anyone confirm or deny if this product is vegan friendly? Some of the ingredients I am having a hard time trying to find their source.
    Herbalife24 | Hydrate

meh... whatever
    Can anyone confirm or deny if this product is vegan friendly? Some of the ingredients I am having a hard time trying to find their source.
    Herbalife24 | Hydrate
    "natural flavors" can include ANYTHING - including beaver anal glands (actually used in a LOT of stuff), tallow, animal based by-products, plant based sources, and so forth. so without knowing the source of the natural flavors it would be hard to say, but given the product chances are they are from a plant based source.

the calcium lactate is another one that could go either way. it can be culled from both dairy and non-dairy sources.

vegan wolf has a great ingredient/source list with a lot of other good info. linky
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks. It's surprising to me that a company called HERBalife has so many products that have whey in them this was the only one that didn't.

Surprising calcium lactate is vegan (that one I was able to find) but a lot of these ingredients I can't tell if they are synthesized or from milk or anything. Thanks for the link.

AZ
    banned
    Thanks. It's surprising to me that a company called HERBalife has so many products that have whey in them this was the only one that didn't.

Surprising calcium lactate is vegan (that one I was able to find) but a lot of these ingredients I can't tell if they are synthesized or from milk or anything. Thanks for the link.
    Massachusetts Senator calls for probe into Herbalife, shares drop - Yahoo Finance

9 lives
    For reference here's a link for a list 9 Everyday Products You Didn't Know Had Animal Ingredients. (some I was aware of but some I learned something new)

Name:  hidden-fat-cow-plastic-bag.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  74.8 KB

9 Everyday Products You Didn't Know Had Animal Ingredients : TreeHugger
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Their Rebuild Endurance & Strength contains milk protein concentrate & whey protein isolate.

Formula 1 Sport has Milk protein

Prolong has Whey Protein isolate

read the ingredients.... it's available on their website.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So, what can I do with nutritional yeast? Nuked kale chips with Nootch?... I would like to work my way towards eventually trying a Mac & Cheese....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know people who use it like parmesan cheese and just sprinkle it on pastas. When I make mac and sheese I'll usually combine it with some earth balance and nooch. I'll add a little daiya to help thicken it.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    So, what can I do with nutritional yeast? Nuked kale chips with Nootch?... I would like to work my way towards eventually trying a Mac & Cheese....
    It's really good on popcorn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Finally picked up Brendan Brazier's book... Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life

Barely made it into Chapter 1 and found it very interesting thus far

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Lunch
    Kale Salad... with blueberries, mushrooms, chick peas, tempeh (eaten already), toasted oat bread with raw garlic rubbed on, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.... dressing (EVOO, Grey Poupon, Balsamic Vinegar, Italian Seasoning)....

mtbr member
    Regarding nooch;

If you get the 'low sodium' (yellow label) Spike seasoning, it has nooch in it! It is great on, like, everything.

Also;

....I thought everyone knew they were a pyramid scheme?! To be honest, I am shocked and appalled they are even still in business. What a freaking scam that company is. Just another company founded on a bunch of BS, riding the billions and billions of dollar weight-loss industry in the US. Everyone in the 90's who I knew that tried their weight loss drops and vitamins/supplements knew it was a scam, and were stuck with all kinds of product they couldn't move.

Stay away, people! There are plenty of fine protein supplements out there, and less questionably sourced herbal ones. There are also eons more supplements that only relieve you of excess money than ones that help you in any way, and herbalife excels in selling the former.

meh... whatever
    If you get the 'low sodium' (yellow label) Spike seasoning, it has nooch in it! It is great on, like, everything.
    "sodium" is not the issue with salt, it's what the processing does to the salt and how this subsequently affects the body.

avoid ALL salt is not 100% pure evaporated sea salt or raw mined salt. a tiny bit of sea salt goes a LOT farther than processed table salt. also, processed table salt is kiln fired which destroys pretty much all the mineral content. evaporated sea salt and raw salt have 80+ minerals the body needs for optimal physiological and mental health. lithium is but one example.

also, be careful using salt substitutes as many contain potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. this is a problem for lots of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya
    Stay away, people! There are plenty of fine protein supplements out there, and less questionably sourced herbal ones. There are also eons more supplements that only relieve you of excess money than ones that help you in any way, and herbalife excels in selling the former.
    or just eat a proper plant based diet and there is no need to supplement.

mtbr member
    Spike ® Vegit Magic! | Spike

The low sodium Spike, apparently also known as Veg-it. It contains naturally occurring MSG instead of salt, which helps give the 'umami' flavor. For the wary, despite the bad press and many extensive studies, there is no evidence that MSG is harmful in the amounts used for seasoning. Google it to make up your own minds about whether you want to believe the press and stories. You use such a small amount, and it both occurs naturally and has been available as a concentrated extract for so long, if there was a problem with it there would be evidence of it by now. I avoided it myself until I reasearched it. I don't sweat it anymore.

mtbr member
    My wife keeps up a blog that has great easy Vegan recipes it's

Easy Vegetarian Cuisine

meh... whatever
    Spike ® Vegit Magic! | Spike

The low sodium Spike, apparently also known as Veg-it. It contains naturally occurring MSG instead of salt, which helps give the 'umami' flavor. For the wary, despite the bad press and many extensive studies, there is no evidence that MSG is harmful in the amounts used for seasoning. Google it to make up your own minds about whether you want to believe the press and stories. You use such a small amount, and it both occurs naturally and has been available as a concentrated extract for so long, if there was a problem with it there would be evidence of it by now. I avoided it myself until I reasearched it. I don't sweat it anymore.
    just a friendly head's up, maya... hydrolyzed soy protein (the "umami" in spike, accent, etc.) isn't naturally occurring but is actually very heavily processed.

the process of extracting seed oils from soybeans leaves behind dehulled, defatted soy protein meal. this is either fed to cattle, spray-dried into "texturized soy protein", or "hydrolyzed" to make a flavor enhancer.

the hydrolysis occurs by dropping the protein into a vat of sulfuric acid and boiled for up to a day to break down the proteins, then lye is added to return the pH to neutral.

the end result is the highly processed and refined "hydrolyzed soy protein".

just thought you might find that interesting.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    My wife keeps up a blog that has great easy Vegan recipes it's

Easy Vegetarian Cuisine
    great resource! thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    just a friendly head's up, maya... hydrolyzed soy protein (the "umami" in spike, accent, etc.) isn't naturally occurring but is actually very heavily processed.

the process of extracting seed oils from soybeans leaves behind dehulled, defatted soy protein meal. this is either fed to cattle, spray-dried into "texturized soy protein", or "hydrolyzed" to make a flavor enhancer.

the hydrolysis occurs by dropping the protein into a vat of sulfuric acid and boiled for up to a day to break down the proteins, then lye is added to return the pH to neutral.

the end result is the highly processed and refined "hydrolyzed soy protein".

just thought you might find that interesting.
    Well, that sounds tasty!

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast