Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10

    Trail bar recipes?

    I'm always looking for a way to make my own food for the trail, with less than stellar results. Any suggestions on how to make a really good nutrition bar for a long day in the saddle?

  2. #2
    honez1414
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    62
    Lim's Feed Zone cookbook has some great recipes.

  3. #3
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,997
    1 cup almonds
    6 pitted dates
    5 tablespoons cacoa powder
    4 tablespoons shredded coconut
    2 tablespoons honey
    pinch of sea salt


    Process the almonds in food processor
    Add Cacoa powder and process
    add dates, coconut,salt and honey and process until it forms a ball

    Spread in a pan w/spatula and refrigerate. Cut into squares when firm. You may also add Macadamia nuts etc. on top.

    I put them in snack sized ziplock bags and throw them in a jersey pocket.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chase1996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    420
    2 cup Oats
    .5 cup Chia seeds
    .5 cup Chopped almonds
    .5 cup Dark chocolate chips
    .5 cup pretzels
    1 cup Peanut butter
    1 - 12oz jar local honey

    Mix all together (I use a mixer)

    Throw in the pretzels last..this will leave chunks of pretzels in the bar for crunchiness and texture

    Bake for 15mins. @ 350 in 9x11 pan sprayed with olive oil.

    Cut in squares

    My friends call this Trail Crack

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    2 cup Oats
    .5 cup Chia seeds
    .5 cup Chopped almonds
    .5 cup Dark chocolate chips
    .5 cup pretzels
    1 cup Peanut butter
    1 - 12oz jar local honey

    Mix all together (I use a mixer)

    Throw in the pretzels last..this will leave chunks of pretzels in the bar for crunchiness and texture

    Bake for 15mins. @ 350 in 9x11 pan sprayed with olive oil.

    Cut in squares

    My friends call this Trail Crack
    sounds delicious! although ive never heard of Chia seed, is this available at most grocery stores?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chase1996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Somis View Post
    sounds delicious! although ive never heard of Chia seed, is this available at most grocery stores?
    My local grocer keeps it in their "organic" section.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    2 cup Oats
    .5 cup Chia seeds
    .5 cup Chopped almonds
    .5 cup Dark chocolate chips
    .5 cup pretzels
    1 cup Peanut butter
    1 - 12oz jar local honey

    Mix all together (I use a mixer)

    Throw in the pretzels last..this will leave chunks of pretzels in the bar for crunchiness and texture

    Bake for 15mins. @ 350 in 9x11 pan sprayed with olive oil.

    Cut in squares

    My friends call this Trail Crack
    Whats the bars consistency once baked, is it a firm bar is it going to be fairly soft due the amount of honey?

  8. #8
    The Road Warrior
    Reputation: LandSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    1 cup almonds
    6 pitted dates
    5 tablespoons cacoa powder
    4 tablespoons shredded coconut
    2 tablespoons honey
    pinch of sea salt


    Process the almonds in food processor
    Add Cacoa powder and process
    add dates, coconut,salt and honey and process until it forms a ball

    Spread in a pan w/spatula and refrigerate. Cut into squares when firm. You may also add Macadamia nuts etc. on top.

    I put them in snack sized ziplock bags and throw them in a jersey pocket.
    Don't do it unless you bring toilet paper.

    That cacao powder will wreck you.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chase1996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Whats the bars consistency once baked, is it a firm bar is it going to be fairly soft due the amount of honey?
    Pack it down while putting it in the pan to bake.

    Similar consistency to a Clif bar.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    121
    Nit familiar with cliff products but it is a semi firm, kind of soft definitely not a very firm.

    Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2

  11. #11
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    One of my favorites:
    one package of fig newtons

    Carefully open the outer package. if you bought the right kind, there is an inner package that is fine to take on the trial. If you bought the wrong kind, you will need to remove the newtons from the krinkly plastic thing and put them into a plastic bag. Enjoy.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Somis View Post
    sounds delicious! although ive never heard of Chia seed, is this available at most grocery stores?
    Near the Chia is another product we love and use a lot. Hemp hearts, tiny little nuts. Flax seed also.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SpecializedWindsor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Nit familiar with cliff products but it is a semi firm, kind of soft definitely not a very firm.

    Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2
    Clif reminds me of gummy bears - except that Clif's products are more chewy.
    "Be prepared, not scared"
    ~Cody Lundin

    "What is stronger, fear or hope?"
    ~Lance Armstrong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •