Thread: Stinger waffles

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Stinger waffles

Hello All,
    Any opinions on Honey Stinger Waffles as a food for mid-race / mid-ride?
    Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    I sometimes eat them mid ride just to get something in my stomach other than the liquids/gels i take in during the day. I don't necessarily rely on them for energy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quite small, but I love them! Can't say they give much energy per piece, I usually inhale 2 or 3 packs mid ride.

mtbr member
    Very tasty and not harsh on the stomach

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thx to you both. Any suggestions for easy to digest/eat/handle stuff that will fuel an additional 1-2hrs of hard riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thx c-man

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I usually find the candy/gel products to give the most energy as it gets broken down to simple sugars quickly compared to things like oatmeal bars or sandwiches.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    waffles are the mountain biking god's gift to riders. they are especially yummy when they heat up in your jersey pockets and get a bit squishy.

I prefer the plain (honey) flavour one.

I think i do get more of a boost with gel's but quite often I eat them on early morning rides where its too early to eat a proper meal a couple hours before riding.
    I've a buddy who swears by squeezing a gel pack between 2 waffles as a gel\waffle sandwich!

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    I tried them last weekend. To be fair, they were not what I was expecting. I tried to eat the chocolate honey waffle, but it tasted like eating a flattened styrofoam packing peanut. THe plain honey was better, but not much taste IMO. I would rather eat a clifbar pre ride with plenty of water. I havent tried the GU's yet.

Afric Pepperbird
    Those waffles are excellent, but they may be the most over-priced mountain biking accessory ever made. For shame.

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with eating a plain old banana and drinking plain old water. You don't need gels and fake food. Real food costs less and it's better for you.

and don't leave your junk food wrappers on the trails.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    There is nothing wrong with eating a plain old banana and drinking plain old water. You don't need gels and fake food. Real food costs less and it's better for you.

If you read the ingredients, you'll see there's nothing "fake" about them.

But good point about the wrappers.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post

My banana always gets banged up on the trail. Any tips?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Love the waffles!!!! But for me, most times 1 isn't enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemiwinks View Post
    Nothing worse than a bruised banana.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

mtbr member
    I love them when my buddy at Whole Foods gets them for free but if I'm buying I'll skip the branded Stinger Waffles and head straight to the foreign market for some authentic Dutch Stroopwafels.

A 12 pack of the stroopwafels from the international farmer's market costs $3, compared to $1 a piece for the Stingers. If you have Trader Joes nearby they might have them as well, mine does.

Honey for instant energy and carbs from the waffle for more sustained energy. I'm hooked.

If you're a coffee/tea drinker, put the waffel over your glass of fresh coffee/tea and the steam will make the waffel warm and gooey, perfect for a quick snack to run out for a ride. Keeps your drink warm as well since it acts like a little lid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemiwinks View Post
    Hmmm, you keep banging your banana huh?

but seriously, who cares? Even if it's mush, that just means less chewing. Eat it and go.

There's a dude on here who was trying to get his product off the ground. They're called Coconutz and they rule. I thought it a bit gimmicky but was willing to give it a whirl. They were awesome! Tasted great and I really did feel like I got more energy from them. Not to pricey either. Pro tip: skip the tube they come with and just throw them in a sandwich bag. I didn't use the tube on the trail but tested it in my apartment and the things seemed to not want to come out of it. You may have better luck. Oh, and they're raw, vegan and I think gluten free. Booyah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

One Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by c-woj View Post
    Thx to you both. Any suggestions for easy to digest/eat/handle stuff that will fuel an additional 1-2hrs of hard riding?
    Nothing lasts for me more than and hour and a half. The cliff bars are the easiest for me to eat on the trail or the road. They are dense, so half at a time. They have good lasting ability. The stingers taste great and are easy to digest, but they don't last. And as others have mentioned, I usually eat them 2 at a time. Locally, they're expensive. I can get the cliff bars at Target reasonably.

Fig newtons are great and have been used for years by a lot of riders. There cheap and come in a box of 10. I could ride and snack on them all day.

good luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    There's a dude on here who was trying to get his product off the ground. They're called Coconutz and they rule. I thought it a bit gimmicky but was willing to give it a whirl. They were awesome! Tasted great and I really did feel like I got more energy from them. Not to pricey either. Pro tip: skip the tube they come with and just throw them in a sandwich bag. I didn't use the tube on the trail but tested it in my apartment and the things seemed to not want to come out of it. You may have better luck. Oh, and they're raw, vegan and I think gluten free. Booyah!
    Sounds kinda like Keps Balls in that its a small homebrew setup.
    Balls

I've always wanted to try the balls since they sound delicious,

Yes, very similar. Here's the Coconutz website. I would like to try the Kep's. Sooty about not linking the other day, I was being lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    They sound good.

We have gotten where we make our own ride food using recipes from the cookbook named "The feed zone" My favorite is the orange almond macaroons. It is just raw almonds, coconut, orange marmalade, honey and vanilla extract. Takes about 10 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook and prob cost 10 cents each.

We also like the rice cakes and strangely enough, we like the savory ones vs the sweet ones. It's a nice contrast to all the sweet stuff you eat and drink while riding. It's just sushi rice, eggs, small amounts of crumbled bacon and parmasean cheese. I didn't think I would like this while riding but I love it.

We have found that simple, whole foods keeps are energy level much more consistent and the leg cramps that I used to have issues with, seem to be a thing of the past.

Anyway, all of our meals and ride food have been from this book the past 2 months. Cool cookbook based on very simple whole foods and are all tasty so far. Just watch the portion sizes if you try it as it's based on the needs of stage racers and you could end up fat if you don't ride 600 miles/week.

We have also been using their hydration drink(Skratch Labs) and although it's a cool concept, I think I like Cytomax better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This is another plug for The Feed Zone book. I think the only recipe we have tried in the book that we didn't like was the flourless Chocolate Cake but that could have been our fault as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabenaldt View Post
    This is another plug for The Feed Zone book. I think the only recipe we have tried in the book that we didn't like was the flourless Chocolate Cake but that could have been our fault as well.
    That's funny. It is our favorite desert in the book.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Dang it! It is probably our fault....