mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Sport Drink Gimmicks and Food Allergies

A lot of sports drinks contain very little actual water and have lots of sugar, acid, an food coloring known for causing irritation like stomach cramps. It's not uncommon to run across fruit juice drinks that have little zero actual fruit juice as well.

I used to drink sports drinks until I recently found research that pointed out issue I was personally experiencing such as tomach cramping. One of the main irritants is food dye "Red # 40" or Yellow 6. You even have some products with multiple irritants.

Here is an artical about Gatorade for example but this is not limited to Gatorade: GATORADE Low calorie Fruit Punch | Dye Diet

Artical concerning food coloring and upset stomachs: Can Food Dyes Cause Stomach Aches? | LIVESTRONG.COM

mtbr member
    It's a pretty safe bet to guess if it's a pepsi product it's crap for you. Look what they did to gatorade.
    Round and round we go

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    all sports drinks are actually 95% water or more.

make you own, though, so you know what's in it. whatever juice (real juice, as you pointed out) plus some morton's lite salt for sodium and potassium would be a good start.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    anybody use skratch labs stuff? ive been using their stuff for training and really like it. plan on using it this race season

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NAGmtb View Post
    anybody use skratch labs stuff? ive been using their stuff for training and really like it. plan on using it this race season
    It's great for hydration, but lacks any real calories. It was designed to be used with solid food.