mtbr member
    Mar 2011

So had a horrible dehydration headache...

So, I went for a short ride today (3 miles i think?)... and wound up with a freakin headache from hell...had a 2L camelback full (drank, approx 1.5l on the ride dunno why). had consumed 40+oz of water a few hrs before the trip... WTF did I do wrong? last season i was going for 3-4hrs before the headache hit...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    How often do you ride? That's a TON of water to drink on a 3 mile ride. Are you sure the headaches are due to dehydration? It's common to get headaches (especially if you're relatively new to it) while exercising, due to the increased blood flow to the brain. I got these when I first started riding but haven't had one in a couple years as I'm constantly doing some sort of physical activity. Not saying this is your issue, just something to consider.
    Last edited by 2fargon; 06-17-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: I suck at writing stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    well this is the first chance i've had to ride in many months (7 or 8 months). I try to be as active as possible when i'm not working. i do work out a few times per week. I guess i just need to try it again this weekend to see what happens.. and make sure to hydrate and stuff before hand...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nephets0 View Post
    well this is the first chance i've had to ride in many months (7 or 8 months). I try to be as active as possible when i'm not working. i do work out a few times per week. I guess i just need to try it again this weekend to see what happens.. and make sure to hydrate and stuff before hand...

Respectfully, you should stay hydrated all of the time. A little extra hydration before a ride, stay hydrated during the ride. Good luck.

meh
    maybe hyponatremia cuz that seems to be far to much water for that short of a ride
    throw a nuun tab in your camelbak next time

Vegan on the S-Works
    If it was your first ride back then perhaps your neck was tight and that gave you a head ache.

I drink enough water so Im pizz'n clear at least 10 times a day and a few times in an old juice bottle at night. I learned that from JV himself back in 2002.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    drink your fluids throughout the day, during your workout not to much water, take sips here and there. Thats what i usually do

Twisted Wreckage
    way to much water,, you got a over-hydration headache !! did you have liquid shizz later on ?? you can't hydrate just cuzz, everyone enjoys the refreshment of water but it has to be consumed intelligently, you won't die from over hydration but it will throw your body off
    Rep is for Mo's MTBR isn't an exclusive club

Ban me once shame on me, ban me twice, your security is weak

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It should take more than a 3 mile ride to get significantly dehydrated. Were you dehydrated before the ride? Big night drinking the night before?