Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Smoothie/juicing recipes

Just bought a blendtec with a goal to clean up my diet. Got a few questions.

1. Any good breakfast smoothie recipes (prefer with coffee)? Today I used peanut butter, banana, almonds, spinach, chocolate syrup, milk and instant coffee. Pretty good, but I need so other options.

2. Best option to increase protein in the smoothies? I've used peanut butter and greek yogurt. Is protein powder worth it?

3. What skin and seeds to keep and which to discard? Should I skin kiwi, etc?

@trailgrinder
    I like elite gourmet protein, toss a little ice, some milk and a scoop of powder with a little peanut butter for some more calories or some fruit and your good to go.

Edit..... Get rid of the chocolate syrup and try to limit the sugary items if your trying to clean up your diet. Start with a good protein shake in the morning without too much junk in it then have some fruit like an apple with a handful of almonds for your snack. Or a string cheese.

Afric Pepperbird
    I was going to start my own thread, when I saw this one, which is a bit similar to my questions. I will bump this thread, as I just bought my very first blender!

I am looking for:

1) good, delicious pre-ride smoothies. Something to prevent bonking on long rides.

2) what are people drinking post-ride these days, via blender/smoothies?

Please, keep the advice/"recipes" rolling in!

Thanks

mtbr member
    I like smoothies better than juicing because you get the fiber and it is more filling.

1 handful of spinach
    1 banana
    1 cup of almond milk
    1/2 cucumber
    1 handful of baby carrots or 1 regular carrot.
    1/2 handful of parsley.
    1 handful of blueberries
    4 strawberries
    1 apple
    1 teaspoon size of ginger root.
    Couple of pieces of kale.

Usually makes 2-3 servings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's mine:

1 Cup of kale
    5-6 baby carrots
    A piece of ginger (to taste)
    1 apple or pear or banana
    2-3 canned beets with a splash of beet juice
    half a stalk of celery
    2-3 tablespoons of milled flax seed
    Handful of almonds
    Few frozen mixed berries
    Splash of OJ

mtbr member
    Haven't tried beets. Does it sweeten it up?

No Stranger to danger....
    You guys are way too healthy, its makin me sick..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    I drink green smoothies for my breakfast and dinner. This is my usual recipe although I will bump up the fructose (dark berries) on days I ride for a little extra energy.

coconut milk
    pumpkin seeds
    Brazil nuts
    almonds
    kale
    spinach
    alfalfa sprouts
    coconut oil
    chia seeds
    spirulina
    protein powder (sun warrior)
    2 limes
    brewers yeast
    flax seeds
    broccoli
    acai berries
    wheat grass juice
    parsley
    small cucumber

This mix gives me amazing energy. It is nutritionally dense and has great detox ability.

You are on a good path Nephro, in fact you have done the hard part. Spirulina is a fantastic source of protein plus it's a super food. Also I would consider adding a high quality protein powder ie. Sun warrior. I would recommend dropping the syrup and the milk. Start working on incorporating the most nutritionally dense foods you can get and you are going to take a huge step forward in your health. Good luck!
    Last edited by Orthoguy; 02-11-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My favorite breakfast smoothie on days I ride.
    1 scoop whey protein (any flavor)
    1 banana
    1/2 cucumber
    handful of spinach
    handful of blueberries
    handful of strawberries
    cup of kale
    teaspoon of ginger root
    teaspoon of tumeric powder
    beatroot juice

Can't promise good taste but it performs very well for me.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    A good quick green smoothie is a can of pineapple (packed in 100% pineapple juice) and a couple handfuls of kale. Adding a cucumber or romaine lettuce helps to make it mellow and enough for two!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not a fan of kale in green smoothies, but no one's mentioned celery. Adds some salt for flavor and a ton of fiber. Chia seeds too. Smoothies are a good way to use flax oil. I like to pre-freeze the banana and pineapple. Unsweetened soymilk and agave syrup for sweetness. Throw in a handful of peanuts or walnuts.

edit: I like to buy grapes when cheap, wash and put in ziplocks in the freezer. They're like little sweet icecubes.
    Last edited by steadite; 02-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Afric Pepperbird
    I've used it twice so far, and can tell I'm going to love it.

I've only done this smoothie so far. I like it because of the oats in it. I also withheld ice cubes, due to the frozen fruit.

I have perused some recipes here, and see some great ones. I like how you can use the selector for "breakfast", "pre-ride", "post-ride", etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My breakfast/post morning workout smoothies go something like this

Cup Greek yogurt
    Cup frozen mixed berries
    Banana/kiwi/orange/tomato-pick 1
    Spirulina
    Ground flax
    Moringa
    Honey
    Krill oil
    Cinnamon
    Whey protein
    Splash of OJ or whatever juice I have

I definitely want to start getting more tumeric in my diet

mtbr member
    I've been making smoothies for my wife and myself every morning. It can vary, but generally

1 apple
    1 banana,
    2 carrots
    half a cucumber
    couple of hand fulls of frozen mixed berries(blue, black, raspberry, Strawberry
    handful of spinach
    half a handful of parsley
    bit o ginger
    a peeled orange
    cup of almond milk
    2 spoonfuls of flax seed meal
    1 spoonful of chia seeds
    I tried adding about 1/2 cup of irish rolled oats this morning. It made the smoothie more creamy. I thought it was a good addition
    and I just bought some wheatgrass powder to add in

Thinking of trying some tumeric

cyberbully
    answers in blue, i tried to answer from what i've learned over the years, i don't do smoothies anymore, but i want to start again. As well, i'm going to stop lurking in this forum and try to contribute...

Quote Originally Posted by nephro View Post
    Just bought a blendtec with a goal to clean up my diet. Got a few questions.

1. Any good breakfast smoothie recipes (prefer with coffee)? Today I used peanut butter, banana, almonds, spinach, chocolate syrup, milk and instant coffee. Pretty good, but I need so other options.
    careful with coffee, drink it before workouts, never after, it will inhibit muscle recovery and growth. also drink it before a meal, never after or with, as it inhibits digestion.

2. Best option to increase protein in the smoothies? I've used peanut butter and greek yogurt. Is protein powder worth it? I used to add tahini paste to my smoothies although it has less protein than PB, it also has way lower levels of saturated fats than PB. almond butter is another alternative, and its probably a bit healthier than peanut butter. same goes for any nut butter. i used to put a scoop of whey protein powder in.

3. What skin and seeds to keep and which to discard? Should I skin kiwi, etc? because of waxes added to make fruit look nice (apples and pears) and surface residues left by pesticides, wash any fruit thoroughly before using it, there are specific fruit washes you can buy that remove these residues better than water. Ideally you want to leave the skin on (even with kiwi). if you peel, don't take a lot of skin off. as for seeds, it depends on the fruit, some seeds contain toxins, apple seeds are poisonous, so do your research before adding seeds.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

Afric Pepperbird
    Has anyone tried coconut butter instead of peanut/almond butter? I am a HUGE coconut fan, and almost bought a jar of coconut butter today. It is pricey, though

Let's hear your opinions of this.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Has anyone tried coconut butter instead of peanut/almond butter? I am a HUGE coconut fan, and almost bought a jar of coconut butter today. It is pricey, though

Let's hear your opinions of this.

I use Coconut oil in smoothies, cannot provide any empirical data but is supposed to aid in weight loss. I have not noticed anything negative or adverse.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I use Coconut oil in smoothies, cannot provide any empirical data but is supposed to aid in weight loss. I have not noticed anything negative or adverse.
    I've thought about just the cheaper oil, but I hear and read all the time how the butter - consisting of the delicious meat of the coconut - is much, much better.

mtbr member

Smoothie/juicing recipes

All you folks have the right ideas
    I grind up rolled oats and chia seeds and add that toy smoothies.
    It greatly lower the gylcemic index and and adds omega3's.
    Note do this with steel cut oats as they are raw and contains phytic acid which negates oats good properties.
    Rolled oats are steamed this removes the acid.
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Note do this with steel cut oats as they are raw and contains phytic acid which negates oats good properties.
    Rolled oats are steamed this removes the acid.
    Wait, just so I'm clear, are you saying do NOT eat steel cut oats raw, or TO use them in smoothies? I never heard that comment about oats before. Thanks.
    whatever...

mtbr member

Re: Smoothie/juicing recipes

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    There is a ton of research concerning the merits of coconut oil. While coconut meat and butter tastes awesome it is not nearly as nutritionally dense as coconut oil. The great thing is that it's all good and good for you so mix it up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member

Smoothie/juicing recipes

Don't use steel cut oats raw in smoothies use rolled oats or quick cooking oats. I grind them in a spic or coffee grinder with chia seeds. Tastes good and adds lots of fiber and keep the hunger pangs at bay
    " I only Ride Enduro'

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good to know thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got a Omega juicer and my morning juicing routine includes

kale
    collards
    chard
    fennel
    parsley
    lemon
    apple
    carrot
    tumeric

Mid day I'll have a pint or so of carrot juice mixed with tumeric and apple.

I also have a Blend tec that I use to make a smoothie a bit before dinner (so I eat a bit less), which includes

blackberries
    blueberries
    banana
    kale and other greens
    cabbage
    pumpkin seeds
    flax seeds
    chia seeds
    almond milk

mtbr member
    Anyone looking to get into smoothies on a budget check out the Oster BeeHive. Great smoothie blender for $60. Been using one for a couple of months now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast