mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Side stitch when riding after food

Hi all, hoping to get some ideas on this one..

Normally I ride early morning, before breakfast so on an empty stomach.
    I am fine, can ride for a few hours and sometimes have a little snack each 30mins to keep me going. I don't get any side stitches.

But occasionally I like to do a night ride, which would be say 4 - 5 hours after my lunch. Without fail, almost every time I end up with a painful stitch in my side.

I could skip lunch, but would be feeling pretty weak from lack of food.

So it seems I need some huge window of time between eating and riding to not get a stitch.

Lunch usually is just 2x sandwiches.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Joel

mtbr member
    It's gotta be too much fluid too soon before your ride. Find it hard to believe it's food 4-5 hours before.
    If it is the food you're taking alot of time digesting. Some foods take longer then others, and some take much longer when mixed with other foods.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So experiment with less fluids/water leading up to the ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post
    So experiment with less fluids/water leading up to the ride?
    sounds like a plan. Slow and steady to hydrate.
    If that no worky try cutting down on how many foods you mix together for lunch. What and how much are you eating and drinking for lunch?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So yesterday I tried a pretty standard lunch, chicken & salad sandwiches around 12.30pm. But only 1x cup of water during the afternoon.

Went out for a 5.30pm ride, and as usual around 30 - 40mins into it got a painful stitch. During that ride I just had sips on the camelbak. Probably consumed half a litre during those 40mins.

mtbr member
    Idk, I can shoot in the dark and say warm up more?
    What are you drinking with Lunch? I ask because something like orange juice, or even orange itself, with something starchy like a bagel can take hours to digest for many folk, but 5 hours between food and ride and unless something weird is going on food isn't your issue.
    It also helps if you don't drink to much with your meal. The logic being that the stomach's enzymes get diluted and it takes the food longer to digest, but again, 5 hours after food ?
    If it were me, and it was, especially if too hydrated, I'd ironically drink more to flush some of the possible causes, but of coarse don't load up before a ride. Then I'd look to get stronger, especially core wear all your organs are held in place, eliminating some other possible causes.
    If i think about both side cramp/stitch or other muscle cramps that I used to get, i drink more in general than then, I'm more fit than then, eat better, and many times go into a ride or whatever partially dehydrated and start drinking/sipping. Not to avoid a stich, althou for me drinking too much is asking for one, but because that's what i like and can't remember the last stitch I got.
    I'd also ideally be eating about an hour before to have a good ride, with little drink, and maybe avoid juices with meals. If I haven't eaten in 3 hours my ride will suffer, and after 5 hours i'm eating something.
    Maybe your stomach is eating itself ?...
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah I don't usually warm up so that's an idea.
    Though what is strange is it never happens to me in the morning.

I will look into some core strengthening exercises.

mtbr member
    cool beans
    it's not just me it universal. If your' not eating for 5 hours you're running on empty, may be the whole problem ?
    Try snacking an hour or two before and lets see. You'll have more zip for sure
    Are you dieting?
    Round and round we go