mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Side effects of Osmo Pre Load?

According to Osmo Preload Hydration's label you're supposed to use it "only prior to intense efforts, ultra-endurance events or exercise in hot conditions."

I'm sure this is a marketing element to some degree and frankly the awful taste will make you not want drink the stuff any more often then you have to... but looking at some of the science behind Osmo (e.g. low osmolality for better absorption) it makes me wonder how much heed should be paid to the warning.

Does anyone know which, if any, of the ingredients in Osmo Nutrtion affect Vasopressin or similar body functions?

For a full ingredient list check the label here: http://osmonutrition.com/store/media...oadpl_back.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tehninjo0 View Post
    Does anyone know which, if any, of the ingredients in Osmo Nutrtion affect Vasopressin or similar body functions?
    Are you asking whether it will make you pee or are you asking about drug interactions?
    If you are asking if it will make you urinate more, try it and find out. If you are asking about pharmacological interactions, I would not trust a mountain bike Internet forum - ask your doctor.

Re the ingredients:
    Trisodium citrate - preservative, flavor, electrolyte source, pH buffering too.
    D-glucose - simple sugar, adds some sweetness and easily absorbed carbs.
    Sodium bicarbonate - "baking soda" - sodium source, probably source of bad flavor too.
    Sucrose - table sugar.
    Potassium bicarbonate - potassium source, probably contributes to bad taste.
    Citric acid - pH, flavor
    magnesium citrate - magnesium source.
    Organic compliant flavor - meaningless marketing phrase grammatically modifying the word flavor.
    Lemon Juice powder - dried lemon juice
    Lemon Oil - flavor
    Monk fruit extract - Newly Popular sweetener in the US, also known as Luo han guo, Siraitia grosvenorii, and a bunch of other names depending on country. Has been used as a sweetener in Southeast Asia forever.
    Organic pineapple powder - meaningless marketing phrase grammatically modifying the words pineapple and powder

I would guess this stuff tastes like a lemon sweet tart with some chalkiness mixed in. May also have a grainy mouthfeel.

The list of ingredients is neither impressive, nor unique. I would find something that tastes better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for breaking down the ingredients. Much obliged.

As for the taste.. yeah.. it's pretty gross but I did notice less fatigue on long rides after taking it according to the label so I consider it a necessary evil. The remaining question: what are the effects of long term/repeated use? Will the effect diminish?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The stuff is adding a bunch of sodium. You may need to consider whether the sodium will have a hypertensive effect on you.

As for long term effect on your health - who knows. It is a supplement = little FDA regulation. I would note that none of the literature cited on the company website actually uses all of the ingredients together. The studies look at the impact of single ingredients on very specific populations.

I think you could whip up a better tasting concoction on your own.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Osmo has worked great for myself. I think the Preload drink has been the best thing I've found to help with my cramping issues. The high sodium content is something I think I needed for cramps and the stuff makes me thirsty after drinking it, which has helped with keeping hydrated.

My take on only using it only when recommended is because of the high sodium content. Overuse of it when not needed could lead to high blood pressure and the other health issues caused by diets too high in salt.