Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Should I change my method of weight reduction?

My personal method of reducing weight is simply cutting down on food intake. Instead of the normal 3 meals a day, I would either skip 2 of them and only have one meal in a day. I find this method easier and cheaper than enrolling in a fitness program. It also doesn't rob me of my time for other stuffs that I do.

Now that I'm into mountain biking, I think I should not just concentrate on weight reduction but also work on something that would improve my pedaling speed and endurance.

Any suggestions?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There was another thread on here where I worked with a gent in great detail on helping him get on track to what he was looking for. You can't skip out on eating. You'll lose weight, like you're looking for... however, you'll lose it in muscle, and that is not going to help your biking at all. Find your basal metabolic rate (which is the number of calories you need to exist) and eat that. Your basal rate, if you are an active person, will put you at a point where you are at a caloric deficit. Take away food, and your body is going to store fat and eat muscle to keep itself alive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you have some time, and want to read through some very good information shared with this gentleman by numerous members of the forum, read through this thread. You will see the information given, and then closer to the end of the thread, you will see his results. He is managing to drop weight still, and was able to place in a race he rode.

Burning Stored Fat and Climbing Ability / Performance : Question

For info on dieting, there are some fantastic articles you can read on bodybuilding.com that teach you what is in a calorie, and why a calorie is not a calorie.

mtbr member
    I have never been able to make any real change in my weight by not eating. I can reduce my food intake for a while and then my body says that's enough and I start on a feeding frenzy that just adds it right back on. Now aerobic exercise is a different matter. I have always lost weight easily by increasing my exercise. If I am regularly active I drop weight until I reach a healthy weight without even trying. In the last 3 months I have lost 15lbs by Mt biking alone and I am still losing weight.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_beginner View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Yeah, first, everyone is different so what works great for one won't for everyone.
    Ryan put you onto some good info and what most can expect. Few thing are certain or absolute for everyone when it comes to diet and reaching fitness goals, but a few are pretty much across the board, and for most eating once a day will eat muscle and lead to storage so it'll leave you more scrawny with more of a gut than if you were eating not more, but more spread out into 3 or more meals.
    Another thing that's pretty universal is that diet is 60%, or more, of the equation for reaching goals. I learned this the hard way and by wasting time and effort.
    You need to eat more often. Especially after exercise and when you wake.
    Depending on you, it may take a few weeks/months for your body to figure out it doesn't have to store as much for times of need simply because it has less of them, but eating before and after exercise, and when you wake will start paying off right away with stamina, strength, and muscle growth/recovery.
    Muscle speeds metab even at rest, so not feeding it after exercise, or even worse having it consumed as fuel when fasting is not good long term. I'll add that muscle is heavier than fat, so don't live by the scale but by how/where your clothes fit and your energy level.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Any suggestions?
    Ride more. If you burn 3-4,000 calories 4-5 days a week, you can eat pretty much anything you want and lose weight.

mtbr member
    Don't eat white stuff. No French fries/potato chips! Cut out the high glycemic index stuff - insulin is your enemy. Eat lots of berries instead of fruit - they are much denser in nutrients without the big hit in sugar. Eat plain yogurt instead of vanilla yogurt - read the labels on foods; don't get it if it has sugar added. Low fat salad dressings add sugar for flavor, for example. Dilute orange juice if you drink it, as it's very high in sugar. Don't starve yourself, your body will slow it's metabolism to compensate. Don't eat anything after 7:00 PM. Drink more water. You know all that stuff your mom said about eating veggies? She was right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Should I change my method of weight reduction?

Thank you all for the tips. It's nice to know not only the DOs but also the DON'Ts. :thumbup:
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    There is a lot of good science on using Heart Rate Training programs for weight loss.
    Going easier can burn more fat then going all out.
    The target heart rate range for the best fat burning weight loss is around 100bpm-120bpm.
    This is pretty low for most workouts, but it pays dividends after doing it for a month.

mtbr member
    Carb up before a ride and eat protein withing 30 min after. For the most part cut most of the carbs out of you diet. I also cut my portions down a third. I have done this and manage to loose 58 pounds so far.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

Laramie, Wyoming
    My personal method of reducing weight is simply cutting down on food intake. Instead of the normal 3 meals a day, I would either skip 2 of them and only have one meal in a day. I find this method easier and cheaper than enrolling in a fitness program...

Any suggestions?
    There are pills advertised that don't require any exercise.

OR:

If you cut out sugar and processed foods and eat mostly just what comes from the produce section and get just a little exercise you likely wouldn't have to diet at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    There is a lot of good science on using Heart Rate Training programs for weight loss.
    The target heart rate range for the best fat burning weight loss is around 100bpm-120bpm.
    This is old school debunked exercise theory.

From WebMD

4. TRUE OR FALSE: Moderate exercise promotes weight loss more effectively than vigorous exercise.

FALSE. Weight loss is a matter of simple arithmetic: To shed pounds, you must burn more calories than you consume. And when it comes to burning calories, the greater the exertion, the greater the rate at which calories are burned.

Working out at about 60% to 75% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "fat-burning zone") burns fewer calories than working out at 75% to 85% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "aerobic" or "cardio" zone).

mtbr member
    No actually it confirms what I said about the facts.

Web MD's BUT:
    "Working out at about 60% to 75% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "fat-burning zone") burns fewer calories than working out at 75% to 85% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "aerobic" or "cardio" zone).

But caloric burn depends on a workout's duration as well as its intensity -- and it's easier to work out longer when exercising at a lower intensity.
    "

I said that for people who do not have adequately developed cardio systems it is best to use this method to get up to par before trying to use the 75% work out load for a full duration of your workout.

I also said, like Web MD that working out at max heart rate is not productive or healthy.
    Most people end up working out near their max rate because they do not take the time to build up their cardio system first.

The goal was never to remain working out at 100bpm forever.
    The goal was to develop a cardio system that can go harder and faster while maintaining a 140-160 75%-85% heart rate at the end of the line.
    Being able to do more work with less strain is the goal of any muscle building workout.

My point's however, are that many people work their heart harder then it's ready by pushing their other muscle groups limits too fast/hard and without empirical evidence of what their cardio limits should be.

It's very simple and cheap to get a doctor to tell you what your individual heart rate maximums should be tuned to.
    Each person's limits are different and will change as you become more or less healthy.

Did you even read the 3rd page of that WEB MD article?
    Here it is:

"6. TRUE OR FALSE: Using a heart rate monitor can help boost your fitness level.

TRUE. Electronic heart monitors, typically consisting of a wristwatch-like display and an electrode-studded chest strap, are used by serious runners, cyclists, etc. while training and even during races. By providing accurate, real-time heart rate information, the monitors help athletes pace themselves.

Even if you're not preparing for a marathon or a century ride, using a heart rate monitor can help you to exercise.
    How?
    Can your regimen lower your resting heart rate.
    Can you exercise at the same pace but get your heart to pump more slowly.
    Can you shorten the time it takes your heart rate to return to normal after a workout.

It's not easy to answer these questions when you take your pulse manually, but quite easy with a heart rate monitor. "No one really needs a heart rate monitor," Fletcher says. "But some people love to play with these things, and that motivates them to exercise."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    OK, you don't have to get all mad because you posted factually inaccurate information and got called on it.

Thank you for the more complete information.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    OK, you don't have to get all mad because you posted factually inaccurate information and got called on it.

Thank you for the more complete information.
    Tell me what Fact I stated which was inaccurate?
    If I'm inaccurate, I definitely want to know.

However, I think I was on target, and you got but hurt that I called you out with the same source you were trying to use to debunk my facts.
    I'm not but hurt over your disagreements with me.
    I couldn't care less what you think of me on any emotional level.
    However, full and accurate data sharing is what I'm after.
    I'm not interested in winning an emo argument.

Here's the one and only thing I said before copy pasting your webmd article (above):

"There is a lot of good science on using Heart Rate Training programs for weight loss.
    This is pretty low for most workouts, but it pays dividends after doing it for a month."

I said doing it for one month, to build up cardio, not do it forever.
    If you are over weight, you are almost certainly in need of a cardio performance increase.
    Therefore the people looking to loose weight should consider the know and proven science about how to work out your cardio for best results.

You may find it interestingly, that building cardio muscles matches the same pattern as building any other muscle in your body.
    Find your limits with a professional doctor and trainer and then work from there up.

Most people think they should ride hard as they can for 20 minutes and it will burn more fat.
    However if they did 30% less work and continue for 40-60 minutes then they burn WAY more calories.
    This is the recommended way to loose weight by most professionals, in response to using heart rate monitors.

mtbr member
    There's no one formula or heart rate that works best for everyone, especially if you consider ones goals, or the amount of calories burned after your exercise for recovery which goes way up with intensity.
    For someone of good general health, who does marginal exercise, and has major room for improvement in their diet because they eat once a day, it matters very little to not what hr they exercise at, especially for someone new to fitness.
    Most people who find quick results or make it seem easy have learned that diet is key. Most would say you should start to get your diet in order before you even start to exercise. You can eat in a few minutes what it will take hours to exercise/burn off, and the quality and content of your food has everything to do with helping you reach your goals or not.
    Plus it's all relative. Eating one quart of Ben and Jerry's everyday will help you loose weight if you used to eat 2.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    ...For someone of good general health, who does marginal exercise, and has major room for improvement in their diet because they eat once a day, it matters very little to not what hr they exercise at, especially for someone new to fitness.
    Most people who find quick results or make it seem easy have learned that diet is key. Most would say you should start to get your diet in order before you even start to exercise. You can eat in a few minutes what it will take hours to exercise/burn off, and the quality and content of your food has everything to do with helping you reach your goals or not...
    I think I've argued with Meat before but he is spot on with this advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I think I've argued with Meat before but he is spot on with this advice.
    Cool, I'm glad to see you don't hold a grudge and have mooo-ved on.

Btw, my name, theMeat, has nothing at all to do with my diet or anyone else's.

Laramie, Wyoming
    When you are in line at the grocery store, watch what people buy and what they look like. It directly correlates most of the time.

I noticed two obese ladies and one very obese child in line behind me recently. As I looked at what they were buying, I knew why they were so overweight. 3 liters of pop, 2 packages of cookies, Twinkies, and donuts.

Seriously? They don't have thyroid issues, and they aren't heavy boned. They were FAT and it is because of the amount of useless calories they put into their bodies.

For much of our society, a small change in diet will result in a large dividend in health.

Interplanetary Poultry
    My personal method of reducing weight is simply cutting down on food intake. Instead of the normal 3 meals a day, I would either skip 2 of them and only have one meal in a day. I find this method easier and cheaper than enrolling in a fitness program. It also doesn't rob me of my time for other stuffs that I do.

Now that I'm into mountain biking, I think I should not just concentrate on weight reduction but also work on something that would improve my pedaling speed and endurance.

Any suggestions?
    Rather than eating one meal a day, which triggers fat storage, eat small meals throughout the day. Cut all the processed crap out of your diet. Avoid artificial sweeteners like you'd avoid the plague, that includes diet soda (which triggers fat production, go figure). If you have to have snack food, make it fruits, and not candies, cookies, cakes, etc. There are a lot of diets out there, and diet plans, to get you in top physical condition. Right now just focusing on eating natural foods in smaller portions but more regularly throughout the day, while getting more exercise, should be more than enough for you.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    When you are in line at the grocery store, watch what people buy and what they look like. It directly correlates most of the time.

Hilarious, but true, often enough.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    My only ideas.
    Eat for the body you want, not the body you have.
    Exercise is key just as much as diet or more even.
    Exercise smart not just hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    My only ideas.
    Eat for the body you want, not the body you have.
    Exercise is key just as much as diet or more even.
    Exercise smart not just hard.
    If you want to follow the last sentence, than disregard the sentence above it.
    Last edited by theMeat; 09-28-2013 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This may sound strange to some of you, but the modern diet ideals are what are making you fat. Don't eat calories, those are bad.... incorrect. You need calories to survive. Eat a low calorie diet, that will help.... incorrect. If you eat low calories (ie. 1200 to 1500 a day) you are starving yourself... further that, if you eat 1500 calories a day of soda and processed crap, you're going to continue to get fat. Dieting is about macro nutrients. Eating 2000 calories of greens, meats, and other healthful natural things will net you great results. Eating 1000 calories a day of process crap will only make you stay fat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This forum makes me laugh.

Don't eat white stuff. . . eat yogurt
    - Last time I checked yogurt was white?

"Don't eat calories"
    - doesn't even make sense. A calorie is a measure of energy.

Fat is a macronutrient.

Eating low calorie diets both starve you and make you fat.

There are three things you cannot change people's mind on: politics, religion, and food. They know what they know and contrary opinions are wrong.

I just enjoy reading everyone's facts. Keep it coming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast