Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: screw powerade

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

screw powerade

I used to love power aid for I am a roofer and drink lots of water I would drink a 32oz powerade on lunch and after work. My gf went to to the store the other day and got me my normal stock of powerade. Let me tell you it feels like I'm gonna burp out my chest my boss tells me its heartburn I've never had it in my life. I look at the bottle and it says inhanced flaver. F u powerade I've felt horrible for days. You lost a customer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterider View Post
    I used to love power aid for I am a roofer and drink lots of water I would drink a 32oz powerade on lunch and after work. My gf went to to the store the other day and got me my normal stock of powerade. Let me tell you it feels like I'm gonna burp out my chest my boss tells me its heartburn I've never had it in my life. I look at the bottle and it says inhanced flaver. F u powerade I've felt horrible for days. You lost a customer!
    I'd keep an eye on that..don't sell yourself 100 percent on the powerade causing the heartburn, maybe just exposing an existing issue..been there..ya know the rest..
    lean forward

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

screw powerade

Powerade has no electrolytes. Simply sugar water. Better off drinking something else.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    I'd keep an eye on that..don't sell yourself 100 percent on the powerade causing the heartburn, maybe just exposing an existing issue..been there..ya know the rest..
    Yeah, a bottle of Powerade doesn't explain those symptoms.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: screw powerade

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Powerade has no electrolytes. Simply sugar water. Better off drinking something else.
    Not even sugar, powerade uses high fructose corn syrup. It's almost literally like drinking soda.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Impossible Is Nothing

screw powerade

Quote Originally Posted by iceman15951 View Post
    Not even sugar, powerade uses high fructose corn syrup. It's almost literally like drinking soda.

Fructose is a sugar.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Fructose is a sugar.
    Yes, it's a fruit sugar. But high fructose corn syrup is a synthetic substance that many beverage companies use cause it's cheaper than real sugar.

Impossible Is Nothing

screw powerade

Yes, it's a fruit sugar. But high fructose corn syrup is a synthetic substance that many beverage companies use cause it's cheaper than real sugar.

Still just a sugar.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very interesting article to read about Powerade, sodas, Vitamin Water, etc, basically anything you buy in a convenience store:

Coca Cola's Low Calorie Beverages Will Kill You Before They Solve Obesity - Food Babe

mtbr member
    Make your own. Whatever liquid and add salt substitute.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 3blackbikes View Post
    Very interesting article to read about Powerade, sodas, Vitamin Water, etc, basically anything you buy in a convenient store
    Horrible article. Opinion masquerading as quasi-science.

Not saying that I do not agree with the general concept that too much sugar is not good.

However, as a food scientist (married to a clinical nutrition manager - hospital dietician), the article is full of misleading, exaggerated, and unsupported statements. Fear mongering is not persuasive.

BTW Powerade has the following electrolyte sources: Salt, Magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, and mono-potassium phosphate. Note that the last three of these are chemically called salts. So the first salt is likely the colloquial term for table salt - otherwise known as sodium chloride.

I do not like Powerade. Just trying to add facts to nutrition discussions.

Personally, I prefer full strength Coke or milk with added sugar (table sugar otherwise known as sucrose) when I need a sugar rush after a ride.
    Last edited by crit_boy; 07-15-2013 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run 1/2 grape juice, non alcohol type, and 1/2 water.
    lean forward

Class Clown
    i get heartburn all the time...Tums has become my friend

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Too many tums can give you kidney stones guy be aware.

mtbr member
    I just picked up some Nuun today on advice from this forum. Will see how I do tomorrow.

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    Whiterider, it's easy to jump to conclusions about Powerade, but think about what else you did differently that day. Was it unusually hot? Did you drink your normal amount? Was your diet significantly different from other days? There are a lot of different things that can lead to GI distress (or heartburn).

I'm not a fan of drinks that use fructose (which includes high fructose corn syrup) as their primary sugar/carbohydrate because of fructose malabsorption. Fructose, as someone mentioned above, is a type of sugar naturally found in fruits, but people with fructose malabsorption have troubles absorbing it properly. As a result, the fructose that is not absorbed can be fermented by the bacteria in your intestines, causing abdominal pain, gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation. This can also happen when you try to take in simply too much fructose.

I can't tell you how many folks I've heard from who have said that they were downing watermelon and dates and raisins for calories and ended up with major stomach issues. Once they eliminated those, they were fine.
    Tailwind Nutrition
    www.tailwindnutrition.com
    www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition
    Twitter: @gotailwind

mtbr member
    Try PowerAde "Zero", less than 1 g carbs, zero calories, no "fructose"!
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bwargula View Post
    Try PowerAde "Zero", less than 1 g carbs, zero calories, no "fructose"!
    Powerade Zero uses an artificial sweetener called Sucralose, which basically is made by chlorinating sucrose (regular sugar). Splenda is a sucralose based sweetener, and there are a lot of studies that suggest harmful long term effects.

Impossible Is Nothing

mtbr member
    Powerade Zero uses an artificial sweetener called Sucralose, which basically is made by chlorinating sucrose (regular sugar). Splenda is a sucralose based sweetener, and there are a lot of studies that suggest harmful long term effects.

I am sure you can find a lot of studies that suggest "no" harmful long term effects as well. Just like some swear by chiropractors while others brush it off as voodoo. Snippet from an article I read...

"Is sucralose safe?
    Yes. Sucralose has an excellent safety profile. More than 100 safety studies, representing over 20 years of research, have shown sucralose to be safe.

Scientists have conducted many studies on sucralose to determine whether it had any effects on a number of different health conditions, including growth and development, risk of cancer, chemical effects on the body (or toxicology), developmental abnormalities such as birth defects, and effects on the nervous system.

Sucralose has been studied extensively and has been found to be safe by experts and researchers around the world. Government agencies worldwide, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), have also reviewed the science on sucralose and found it to be safe for human consumption.

Experts from a wide range of scientific backgrounds have reviewed these studies and concluded that there are no harmful effects from consuming sucralose, even in people consuming the highest amounts.

Based on its strong safety background, experts, researchers, and government bodies agree that people can consume a variety of foods and beverages sweetened with sucralose on a daily basis without concern".

FWIW, I'm not ready to dismiss sucralose as a no-no just yet, but everyone is entitled to make their own decisions based on whatever they believe from the info they find.
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    X is bad and will kill us all science, always makes me think of dihydrogen monoxide.

What is Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid.

Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Learn more about this killer here

BTW for non-chemistry types DHMO is water - H2O
    Last edited by crit_boy; 07-20-2013 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Aren't cancer rates sky high? There are many things contributing to that, some genetic and some environmental. Very hard if not impossible to parse through it, but I'm sure all the exotic chemicals we're exposed to collectively have something to do with it.

Science said that kennel cough vaccine is a good thing to give your dog. It probably is, considering the alternatives (just like the benefits of vaccines for people versus polio outbreaks). So the vet gave our dog the little puff up the nose. Then at age 9 she developed cancer in the nose and died. Apparently the carrier aluminum granules cause cancer.

Science does occasionally overlook some things, especially with wide scale epidemiology studies. Generally science is really good at what it does. But of course, vested interests can put out all the supporting evidence and studies they can ... afford.

I personally can't stand the taste of sucralose, I can pick it out in an instant.

The risk of negative effects from sucralose is probably very low, but it's one less thing I want in my body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    And its unhealthy

mtbr member
    Skip the crap, drink water and eat a banana.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Don't drink that S. Powerade, Gatorade, whatever, its just a bunch of sugar water with neon colors.

Try coconut water instead. Its a natural product, with just as much, if not more electrolytes.

mtbr member
    try Brawndo: The Thirst Mutilator

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast