Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: screw powerade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    Skip the crap, drink water and eat a banana.
    LOL! Keeping it real!!

mtbr member
    Brawndo has electrolytes, it's what plants crave.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Wow, learned a lot from this thread. I've always been a Gatorade/Powerade drinker after strenuous physical activity like running or biking. I recently picked up some GU Energy gels with electrolytes in them and I'm going to be converting to Coconut water for post ride hydration.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Powerade has no electrolytes. Simply sugar water. Better off drinking something else.
    Powerade has electrolytes. Sodium, potassium and magnesium. It is loaded with carbs but if you opt for Powerase 0. No carbs !!

POWERADE ZERO™ is the great-tasting electrolyte-enhanced sports drink formulated with vitamins B3, B6 and B12 to help the body metabolize energy from food.
    POWERADE ZERO™ MIXED BERRY
    FLAVORED + OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS
    Nutrition Facts
    12 fl oz (360 mL)
    Servings Per Container about 2.5
    Calories
    Amount/Serving %DV* Amount/Serving %DV*
    Total Fat 0g 0% Total Carb less than 1g 0%
    Sodium 150mg 6% Protein 0g
    Potassium 35mg 1%
    Niacin 15% Vitamin B6 15%
    Vitamin B12 15% Magnesium †
    † Not a significant source of calories from fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, sugars, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    WATER, LESS THAN 1% OF: CITRIC ACID, SALT AND MONO-POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE AND MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE AND CALCIUM CHLORIDE (ELECTROLYTE SOURCES), NATURAL FLAVORS, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, VITAMIN B3 (NIACINAMIDE), VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B12, BLUE 1, ASCORBIC ACID (TO PROTECT TAST

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was told once long ago, take a pinch of NATURAL sea salt and drop it in your water. Boom, done. This is what I normally do.

I'm your density
    I mix a ratio of Lo-Salt and table salt into a 24-oz. bottle to approximate the sodium and potassium content of a Nuun tablet. This works out to about 1 pinch of Lo-Salt and 3 pinches of table salt. Consuming a bottle over 1-2 hours, plus plain water from a hydration pack, seems to work well for me depending on how much I'm sweating.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryantrek View Post
    I was told once long ago, take a pinch of NATURAL sea salt and drop it in your water. Boom, done. This is what I normally do.
    And for normal recreational cycling (not TdF or XCO World cup racing), you don't need even that. We get way too much salt during day with normal food, so no need to put some extra in water.
    Back in my racing days, I have been using all sorts of these things, but those were different times. I have been out on training for 8 or 9 hours a day, and with training like that you can't just eat spaghetti and drink water. But nowadays, when I do sport for fun (I still do some 15-20h/week), I get more then enough of everything with normal food. So there's really no need to drink water with added sugar (powerade, gatorade, isostar...).
    In hot days, when I drink few liters of water during day anyway, I normally add bit of lemon, orange or something similar in my bike bottles filled with water, just to get some taste. And that's all you really need

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz View Post
    And for normal recreational cycling (not TdF or XCO World cup racing), you don't need even that. We get way too much salt during day with normal food, so no need to put some extra in water.
    Back in my racing days, I have been using all sorts of these things, but those were different times. I have been out on training for 8 or 9 hours a day, and with training like that you can't just eat spaghetti and drink water. But nowadays, when I do sport for fun (I still do some 15-20h/week), I get more then enough of everything with normal food. So there's really no need to drink water with added sugar (powerade, gatorade, isostar...).
    In hot days, when I drink few liters of water during day anyway, I normally add bit of lemon, orange or something similar in my bike bottles filled with water, just to get some taste. And that's all you really need
    Totally Agree!!! I am an avid fitness 'guy' and have only recently begun my 'endurance' endeavors. I find supplements, bars, powders etc very convenient, but the majority of my nutrition is in more whole foods. Long rides for me however are only about 3 to 4 hours. However, MTB 3 to 4 hours is almost like double. Most foods nowaday have so much sodium anyway.

Rich potassium foods like potatoes, bananas, strawberries are so much better for you then most of these 'artificial' made foods.

Lower 'K' requires higher 'Na' and converse is true as well, so I'd rather have richer K foods then Na foods!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Anyone that thinks neon colored, sugar water is good for them or going to improve there on the bike performance is crazy! All natural is ALWAYS best period. Just my .02

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

screw powerade

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    Anyone that thinks neon colored, sugar water is good for them or going to improve there on the bike performance is crazy! All natural is ALWAYS best period. Just my .02
    Arsenic is a natural substance, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Lmao! You must work for the FDA lol 😀

screw powerade

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    Lmao! You must work for the FDA lol 😀
    Just pointing out that "natural" does not equal "healthy" as many seem to think.
    mtbtires.com

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Just pointing out that "natural" does not equal "healthy" as many seem to think.
    True. There is official definition of "natural". You can make some artificial chemical out of crude oil in a laboratory and label it natural. All perfectly legal.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think most understand what we mean when we say NATURAL. No, not arsenic. Artificial colors, flavors etc, def "artificial". Water=Natural in most people's mind. Add a banana, and you have a great fructose glucose hi "K" superfood. As most have pointed out, so much sodium in today's food that mostly likely very little to ANY salt not necessary to add in most cases.

I usually do a quick stop and add a banana and/or a squirt of RAW Honey. Raw honey is very fast sugar source. Banana is good medium chain sugar source...with a little bit of fiber to 'steady' glucose uptake.

The more ripe, the more digestible the sugars are for bananas...if you ever see these smoothie places, their bananas are very ripe (more sugar content).

Enjoy your ride (:

screw powerade

Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    I think most understand what we mean when we say NATURAL. No, not arsenic. Artificial colors, flavors etc, def "artificial". Water=Natural in most people's mind. Add a banana, and you have a great fructose glucose hi "K" superfood. As most have pointed out, so much sodium in today's food that mostly likely very little to ANY salt not necessary to add in most cases.

I usually do a quick stop and add a banana and/or a squirt of RAW Honey. Raw honey is very fast sugar source. Banana is good medium chain sugar source...with a little bit of fiber to 'steady' glucose uptake.

The more ripe, the more digestible the sugars are for bananas...if you ever see these smoothie places, their bananas are very ripe (more sugar content).

Enjoy your ride (:
    There is water with naturally occurring arsenic.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, and there are always people who try to show us how smart they are...we just tend to ignore that and understand what most of us are talking about.

Tailwind Nutrition
    Nov 2012
    The goal with any fueling strategy is to 1) stave off the depletion of your glycogen stores; 2) keep your electrolytes in check; and 3) remain hydrated. You can fulfill this through a number of different ways and it really boils down to what works for you.

For shorter rides, as a lot of folks have pointed out, you can just ride with water. You have enough in your glycogen stores to maintain your energy levels, and your body will do a pretty good job at keeping your electrolytes in check. But, the longer you go the more your digestive system is taxed - meaning that your fueling strategy can really make a difference in how you feel.

Some riders, like me, prefer liquid calories (and specifically glucose/dextrose based drinks) because they are already in the form of energy that your body uses (glucose) and tend to be easier on the digestive system (don't spend any time in the stomach). Others prefer water with electrolytes and then supplementing with "real food" (which for me by hour 5 makes me experience heartburn). The reality is that you need to experiment and see what works for you, but here are some general guidelines:

*Although you are burning 600+ calories/hour, you can physiologically only process between 200-300 calories/hour. So, don't consume too many calories otherwise you'll overload the gut

*Your body does a pretty good job at regulating your electrolytes, but you'll want to take some additional electrolytes. Most folks think of electrolytes as a means to prevent cramping, but the real reason why you want to take some sodium with your drink is because it will activate the "glucose transport mechanism" which results in higher water absorption rates.

*Finally, you need water. This varies from person to person. What most people don't realize (especially when it's cold outside) is that you need water to digest calories. If you aren't drinking enough, your body will literally suck water from your system and send it to your digestive track to help digest your calories - and this can lead to dehydration.

So, for shorter rides just drink water and replenish your glycogen stores and electrolytes through your meals/snacks. For longer rides (2+ hours) you'll probably need to consume calories, electrolytes, and water, but how you do that comes down to personal preference.
    Tailwind Nutrition
    www.tailwindnutrition.com
    www.facebook.com/tailwindnutrition
    Twitter: @gotailwind

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well said Jenn. There are a whole host of other vits and minerals to pay attention to as well. B Complex's Mg Ca etc.

mtbr member
    Couldn't agree more with the water and a banana idea.

Couldn't disagree more with the coke or milk with sugar post ride idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Make your own electrolyte drink

Gatorade Recipe : Final recipe

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1990 View Post
    Make your own electrolyte drink

Gatorade Recipe : Final recipe
    Or eat a banana and drink some water (:

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Depends where and how you ride. Bananas are about as non-stable a food as you can get. If I'm out in the hot or cold back country I'm not going to have bananas with me because they turn to mush

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Horrible article. Opinion masquerading as quasi-science.

Not saying that I do not agree with the general concept that too much sugar is not good.

However, as a food scientist (married to a clinical nutrition manager - hospital dietician), the article is full of misleading, exaggerated, and unsupported statements. Fear mongering is not persuasive.

BTW Powerade has the following electrolyte sources: Salt, Magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, and mono-potassium phosphate. Note that the last three of these are chemically called salts. So the first salt is likely the colloquial term for table salt - otherwise known as sodium chloride.

I do not like Powerade. Just trying to add facts to nutrition discussions.

(Personally, I prefer full strength Coke or milk with added sugar (table sugar otherwise known as sucrose) when I need a sugar rush after a ride).
    I have found a bottle of chocolate milk after a ride to be pretty satisfying.

mtbr member
    I found that Nuun electrolyte tablets do the trick for me, I never get cramps while drinking that.

I'm not going to bring a banana with me. I eat Clif bars and those various Honey Stinger things (funny how they used to have a picture of Lance Armstrong until recently), and my big thing is 100% pure organic peanut butter, dipped with fresh dates... pure energy and super satisfying and tasty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast